Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,730 members, 7,817,007 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:45 PM

Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES - Agriculture (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES (140685 Views)

My Experience Cultivating 10 Hecters (25 Acres) Of Maize Farm Land / Cost Of Cultivating Cassava Farm On An Hectare / Cost Of Cultivating 1 Hectare Of Okra & Pepper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (69) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 6:38pm On Apr 15, 2023
Theanchor:
Please, I have already planted some tomatoes this just for subsistence purpose but my challenge is how to preserve them during this rainy season to be used later in the dry season.
Any idea on how to do that?
you mean tomato fruit right? After you harvest it, cut it into half then put under Sun to dry for like 5-7 days, depend on how the sun shine.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:07pm On Apr 16, 2023
47 days old today...my people how is the season going?

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 2:15pm On Apr 16, 2023
This is the first time am using raise bed to do my nursery, I will never try it if I don't have drip in place. I will be transplanting it tomorrow Evening...

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Simfglobal: 5:26pm On Apr 17, 2023
Thanks for the update boss. Wish you bountiful harvest
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 8:10pm On Apr 17, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
This is the first time am using raise bed to do my nursery, I will never try it if I don't have drip in place. I will be transplanting it tomorrow Evening...

Are these platinum or diva?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 9:34pm On Apr 17, 2023
Please what's the best way of preparing the bed for planting tomato seeds in absence of seedling tray and cocopeat? I want to plant some seeds for subsistence and to learn the ropes. Hope to get the needed materials when ready for commercial. I'm really getting much excitement from this thread and Farmerakinbode's YouTube channel.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by pathology(m): 9:42pm On Apr 17, 2023
pls can I mix fungicide and insecticide together in knapsack and spray at once
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 9:45pm On Apr 17, 2023
Theanchor:
Please, I have already planted some tomatoes this just for subsistence purpose but my challenge is how to preserve them during this rainy season to be used later in the dry season.
Any idea on how to do that?

Grind the tomatoes and boil it long enough to loose most of the water in the paste. Get some washed empty bottles of "salad cream/mayonnaise" and boil the bottles also to get them sterilized. Scoop the hot tomato paste into each of the hot bottles and cover tightly with the lid. This paste can last for up to one year even without the refrigerator. Just place them in a cool dry place. However, make sure you use up each bottle after opening it asap as it will not be preserved again when open. Hope this is helpful.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by solarized: 7:10am On Apr 18, 2023
Hello everyone, is this normal or sign of a disease/deficiency?
Some leaves are curling. Farmers in my location said it's heat of the sun and that it will be ok with better weather.

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 12:52pm On Apr 18, 2023
HELP PLEASE! I NEED A THREAD LIKE THIS ON COCOYAM FARMING. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE A LINK TO WHERE I CAN GET GOOD SUCH INFORMATION PLEASE.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 12:53pm On Apr 18, 2023
HELP PLEASE! I NEED A THREAD LIKE THIS ON COCOYAM FARMING. I WILL GREATLY APPRECIATE A LINK TO WHERE I CAN GET SUCH INFORMATION PLEASE.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by morzook(m): 1:52pm On Apr 18, 2023
solarized:
Some leaves are curling. Farmers in my location said it's heat of the sun and that it will be ok with better weather.

I am not a farmer, i actually started planting tomatoes last month because of this thread so my input might not be corrected. Noticed same on my plants few days back and I watered them very well. they were back to normal within few hours.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by solarized: 3:14pm On Apr 18, 2023
Give yourself some credits boss, you are a farmer and one bold enough to start a vegetable farm cool.
Tell you a secret, peppers have being my bane... and I'm committed to surmounting it.
Going by your experience and locally received info, drought may be the case untill our Ogas nullify this claim.
Thank you.

morzook:

I am not a farmer, i actually started planting tomatoes last month because of this thread so my input might not be corrected. Noticed same on my plants few days back and I watered them very well. they were back to normal within few hours.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 8:59am On Apr 19, 2023
I need hybrid green pepper and cabbage seeds that can be grown in Eastern Nigeria, seedling trays, and the type of cocopeat used by @Farmerakinloye. Who can direct me on where I can get them and the price? I can't find in the agro stores here.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Joy1273: 9:00am On Apr 19, 2023
I need hybrid green pepper and cabbage seeds that can be grown in Eastern Nigeria, seedling trays, and the type of cocopeat used by @Farmerakinloye. Who can direct me on where I can get them and the price? I can't find in the agro stores here. My location is Nsukka, Enugu state.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Titilayo4life: 9:40am On Apr 19, 2023
We are working on a commercial production if pepper and tomato towards the middle/last quarter of the year and here is our consultant farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989jkCGtng0.

We also made provision for 6000 litres reservoir from a river that cut across our farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQYjTwaZpyU

Here is when we are are setting up the irrigation design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bo3Mhc6WI8

In total, we have been on the project for close to 2yrs but we are entering operation stage very soon.

Who else love agriculture like I do?

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Alsenora: 11:38am On Apr 19, 2023
How was this farm irrigated of watered through the dry season without irrigation system in place from the video sir?
Titilayo4life:
We are working on a commercial production if pepper and tomato towards the middle/last quarter of the year and here is our consultant farm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=989jkCGtng0.

We also made provision for 6000 litres reservoir from a river that cut across our farm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQYjTwaZpyU

Here is when we are are setting up the irrigation design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bo3Mhc6WI8

In total, we have been on the project for close to 2yrs but we are entering operation stage very soon.

Who else love agriculture like I do?
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Titilayo4life: 2:11pm On Apr 19, 2023
Alsenora:
How was this farm irrigated of watered through the dry season without irrigation system in place from the video sir?

According to him, he only farm the land during the raining season like this while he has access to some other wetland farm land he farm during the dry season.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:08am On Apr 22, 2023
mcyemite:

Are these platinum or diva?
I have two of this bed, one is plantinum why the other is diva.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:13am On Apr 22, 2023
Joy1273:
Please what's the best way of preparing the bed for planting tomato seeds in absence of seedling tray and cocopeat? I want to plant some seeds for subsistence and to learn the ropes. Hope to get the needed materials when ready for commercial. I'm really getting much excitement from this thread and Farmerakinbode's YouTube channel.
After you do the bed, use piece of Baboo to (something like ruler)draw lines, put the seed one one, cover gently with a light Sand, put palm fronds and water daily if rain don't fall.

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:15am On Apr 22, 2023
pathology:
pls can I mix fungicide and insecticide together in knapsack and spray at once
Yes sir, that is how I always spray.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:19am On Apr 22, 2023
solarized:
So far you don't notice yellow or black spots, your plant Will be alright. It is common.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:52am On Apr 22, 2023
I noticed something recently especially with the newbies, they don't bother with the key details. How will I transport my produce? What are the materials I need to grow healthy plant? Where and when to sell my produce? The thing is my eye don see shege for this our work, I have seen someone that lost over twenty million on cucumber and tomato, I have seen someone that realize 3m on just one sachet of plantinum, have seen someone that makes between 3-5m every five days during season and I have also seen someone that commit suicide because of failing farm back to back....hmmmmm etc. It is dangerous to just jump to work you don't know the details!

8 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Aquadude16: 6:57pm On Apr 22, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
I noticed something recently especially with the newbies, they don't bother with the key details. How will I transport my produce? What are the materials I need to grow healthy plant? Where and when to sell my produce? The thing is my eye don see shege for this our work, I have seen someone that lost over twenty million on cucumber and tomato, I have seen someone that realize 3m on just one sachet of plantinum, have seen someone that makes between [size=8pt][/size] 3-5m every five days during season and I have also seen someone that commit suicide because of failing farm back to back....hmmmmm etc. It is dangerous to just jump to work you don't know the details!
Baba you are 100% right.
Let me share my little experience.
I relocated to a bigger site late last year to expand my production. I use same template I used in farming my crops in my previous farm but I can tell you sir that i have being failing back to back till I hit the rock bottom. Millions of naira wasted since I doubled my production . I wan buy sniper drink but when I see say e cost pass malt and milk I change my mind.
Tho things has begin to change gradually.
Farming is not for the mild heart oooo.
And I would advise any farmer to test the river with a foot when ever you want to upscale your production or when changing location.
If possible do soil analysis

4 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by OluchiDelly: 10:05pm On Apr 22, 2023
Aquadude16:

Baba you are 100% right.
I relocated to a bigger site late last year to expand my production. I use same template I used in farming my crops in my previous farm but I can tell you sir that i have being failing back to back till I hit the rock bottom. Millions of naira wasted since I doubled my production . I wan buy sniper drink but when I see say e cost pass malt and milk I change my mind.
And I would advise any farmer to test the river with a foot when ever you want to upscale your production or when changing location.

grin grin grin
@the bolded, no matter what, suicide is not an option.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by risos(m): 5:02pm On Apr 23, 2023
Farmerakinloye6:
I noticed something recently especially with the newbies, they don't bother with the key details. How will I transport my produce? What are the materials I need to grow healthy plant? Where and when to sell my produce? The thing is my eye don see shege for this our work, I have seen someone that lost over twenty million on cucumber and tomato, I have seen someone that realize 3m on just one sachet of plantinum, have seen someone that makes between 3-5m every five days during season and I have also seen someone that commit suicide because of failing farm back to back....hmmmmm etc. It is dangerous to just jump to work you don't know the details!

True talk there

Na this man make me enter farm
Make una thank am well o
To go farm go snap pishure no be beans o
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by mcyemite(m): 7:47pm On Apr 23, 2023
Aquadude16:

Baba you are 100% right.

Senior abeg weytin happen gangan..share your experiences with us, what exactly went wrong ?
What it human error or it was nature.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by solarized: 8:18am On Apr 24, 2023
Thank you.
No yellowing or spots, just curling up
Farmerakinloye6:
So far you don't notice yellow or black spots, your plant Will be alright. It is common.
Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by solarized: 8:22am On Apr 24, 2023
You are correct.
In fact, I believe that he who hasn't seen hell, has not made any progress. If not, how do you recognize paradise?
No matter what sir, you can't win when you are dead.
Don't test the depth of water/river with a foot, use stick/rod.
Aquadude16:

Baba you are 100% right.

2 Likes

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Aquadude16: 11:14pm On Apr 24, 2023
mcyemite:

Senior abeg weytin happen gangan..share your experiences with us, what exactly went wrong ?
What it human error or it was nature.
My brother, it's a long story but I would concise.
I never knew the stream I wanted to use in my farm is a seasonal stream because it has a high volume water flow, I was surprised to see it dry all of sudden. I rushed to dig a borehole but it couldn't cater for my farm so I lost all my plants then.
I downside abit to fit into the liters I get from the borehole water I get daily but after some weeks I could hardly pump water for 30mins, the water would stop pumping.
I also have issues with acidic soil my cukes leaves were just turning yellow for no reason.
Just to mention a few

1 Like

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Farmerakinloye6(m): 7:48pm On Apr 25, 2023
Think about what to use to substitute hammer to erect your staking Baboo, you can do something like this, very effective!

Re: Step By Step Improve Way Of Cultivating TOMATOES by Omonaijani: 8:03pm On Apr 25, 2023
Aquadude16:

My brother, it's a long story but I would concise.
I never knew the stream I wanted to use in my farm is a seasonal stream because it has a high volume water flow, I was surprised to see it dry all of sudden. I rushed to dig a borehole but it couldn't cater for my farm so I lost all my plants then.
I downside abit to fit into the liters I get from the borehole water I get daily but after some weeks I could hardly pump water for 30mins, the water would stop pumping.
I also have issues with acidic soil my cukes leaves were just turning yellow for no reason.
Just to mention a few

Sorry for your loss, please get up and start working, never lose hope.

Last year I lost one acre of tomatoes because there was no consistent rain and the tomatoes were not on drip tape, by September when I finally fix drip and transplanted another one acre of tomatoes, I still loss everything because the sep/Oct rain was just too much.

Then I prepared one acre for cucumber to be sold by Early January and still loss everything even though I had it on fully irritated land because there was no rain at all for Dec,Jan and February here in Ogun state; the sun was too much, I had the cucs on ridges, there was no fuel this period and the variety I used could not withstand all the stress.

I did another one acre of Hybrid Okra by December on fully irrigated land and still lost everything because of the above condition.

But you know what, I didn't need anybody to tell me to move on because I had been making money from this same crops before; for instance, this year now I have 2 acres of cucs and 1 acre of tomatoes, I have harvested 3 times from one of the cucumber that is ready and started paying the debts I accumulated last year, we die here ni o.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (69) (Reply)

Practical Broiler Production, A Step By Step Tutorial With Pictures 150 birds / A Thread For Growing Watermelon In your backyard With Photos / My Successful Cucumber Sack Farm In Kaduna

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.