Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,092 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? (60659 Views)

COVID-19: Lagos Spends Between N100,000 & N1M Daily On A Patient – Akin Abayomi / A Patient Tests Positive For COVID-19 In Cross-River - UCTH / Nurse Seen Taking Lollipop In An Emergency Room While Attending To A Patient (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by bendazum: 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2020
proclinician:
In one of my shifts as a resident a woman once gave birth through CS and after discharge and she was supposed to be healing, her abdominal cavity was swelling up and painful and the area in the abdomen that was stitched was bleeding and pus was coming out. She was rushed in when her hubby felt something was not right and a CT scan was ordered. There in the abdominal cavity were some unusual foreign bodies which in a normal human viscera shouldn't be there. She was put into the theatre for an operation and immediately she was opened up there in the abdominal cavity were two gauze sponges used to soak up the bleeding but retained after the CS with massive antibody-antigen reaction taking place there. It was horrible but thank God she lived she was lucky enough sepsis did not occur

You are saying your hospital left the 2 guaze sponges after the CS?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Pigmy(m): 12:03pm On Feb 23, 2020
DPricey1:
surgical blade was forgotten in my uncle's body, a nurse realized a blade was missing and called The surgeon's attention.
My uncle married that nurse

na nolly wood e happen
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by naturalwaves: 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2020
Ekakamba:

Mods! Do the needful.
He is a bloody liar. That didn't heppen to his friend.
He even removed all the details as narrated from Quora.

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by bendazum: 12:04pm On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:

A very unusual mistakes, how on earth do people forget stuffs inside a human during surgery ?

Possibly to make more money during the next operations.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Ajdiggy: 12:05pm On Feb 23, 2020
Personally found a surgical needle embedded in the walls of a patient's uterus while performing CS on her...turns out it was from the previous CS she did some years ago and fortunately for her it never even caused her any problem.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by bendazum: 12:13pm On Feb 23, 2020
Manaria15:
When you have only one doctor doing everything, when I had surgery, at General hospital, the doctors were about 3, excluding the anesthetist, what one could not see his colleagues will see it, it was a team work, and I didn't have any further complications to the Glory of God. From the day I decided to have the surgery I refused private hospital, even though it took me months to be booked, it was worth the wait.

Are you saying that general hospitals are better than private hospitals?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by bendazum: 12:16pm On Feb 23, 2020
paparazi1:
As a senior Nursing Officer, I have also witness the removal of gauze and small abdominal pad from the abdominal cavity of a lady that previously had a cs, though there was sepsis, she narrowly survived, with third intention healing. That is why the surgeon and the scrub nurse must adhere to ethics by making sure the counting
of pads, gauze sponges and other materials used for the operation must be counted before and after the operation
before closing the cavity of the patient which used to be the norm.

'Used to be the norm'?

Are you saying its no longer the procedure?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by naturalwaves: 12:22pm On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:
I am not a surgeon but I have a friend who is, he was operating on a patient to remove his kidney then he found a laser fiber, a bad surgeon had left it inside during the patient previous surgery.

See where you took your lies from. Say No to plagiarism.
Or is Walid your said friend? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by DPricey1(f): 12:32pm On Feb 23, 2020
Pigmy:

na nolly wood e happen

Nope, my mum's younger brother. They have 3 kids together

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by DPricey1(f): 12:34pm On Feb 23, 2020
Angelacruz:
This is serious

Very! We're grateful she was observant
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by adenlemmanuel: 12:35pm On Feb 23, 2020
Toothpick' penetrating the ileocaecal junction masking as Acute appendicitis. we opened up and saw the surprise....unfortunate patient did not even know he had swallowed a toothpick.

Another is a '1.7kg fatty Lipoma' recently removed from the posterior thigh of a young woman, waiting for histology report.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by DPricey1(f): 12:35pm On Feb 23, 2020
[quote author=Manaria15 post=86882422][/quote]

Exactly. We're lucky she was observant
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by DPricey1(f): 12:36pm On Feb 23, 2020
Olatara:
Nollywood script.

what reason do I have to lie?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by namiji2598: 12:38pm On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:
I am not a surgeon but I have a friend who is, he was operating on a patient to remove his kidney then he found a laser fiber, a bad surgeon had left it inside during the patient previous surgery.
please how much is a kidney now? I want to sell one of my own ooooo
Country Don hard

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by lasmile(f): 12:43pm On Feb 23, 2020
olasaad:

Don't you think there should be another scan after CS in order for you to check again if you have forgotten foreign objects inside the patient.

And if there is, they will have to reopen the wounds and search for the missing object. Kai

Goosebumps all over me
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by greyce: 12:46pm On Feb 23, 2020
ReneeNuttall:

You should watch the movie #The Good Doctor#,its way more interesting than Grey's anatomy.

Hmmm,I'll try grin
A friend also told me about "The Residents" but I haven't had time for it
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by TheArchangel(f): 12:46pm On Feb 23, 2020
bendazum:

'Used to be the norm'?

Are you saying its no longer the procedure?
Not anymore because the major actors in the operating room are always in a hurry. The old-fashioned team of operators won't leave until everything is accounted for no matter how long it takes but the teams we have now believes that they are gods.
That's until our lawyers wakes up to do the needful.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by greyce: 12:50pm On Feb 23, 2020
25tolife:
please is dat film interesting?

Interesting is an understatement. I'm not a fan of series but I couldn't help but watch it... It's still on though ( season 17, I think)
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by lanxebony(m): 12:51pm On Feb 23, 2020
My chief once told me she had thyroidectomy and after the surgery she kept feeling sick and d surgery was done by a consultant. She doesn't want to use her hospital cos of guest and staff coming to her after surgery.
Damn after 2 years it was discovered that a guauze was forgotten in her neck, she felt embarrassed as a perioperative nurse that such happened to her. She has been in lot on surgery and always make sure silly mistakes doesn't happen during her call and why must it be her.
And she specifically requested for a consultant so that mistake wouldn't happened but ....

Thank God for life. She doesnt like sharing this cos of her position. It took her time before she can come out

2 Likes

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by darlenese(f): 12:58pm On Feb 23, 2020
my elder broth year er had avn appendicitis surgery , after the surgery he kept complaining of stomach pains , the doctors said he was OK
, a year later he travelled out of the country , the stomach pains became severe ,unbearable , u was rushed to the hospital , it was discovered that a rotten lump of cotton wool was removed from his stomach

1 Like

Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by franchasng: 1:12pm On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:

A very unusual mistakes, how on earth do people forget stuffs inside a human during surgery ?
happens mostly in Nigerian and black dominated hospitals where blacks are the lead doctors and surgeons, reason when I see a Nigerian Doctor raising shoulders up, I just shake my head for him because I know their brains are filled with women bra, panties, condoms and all the nonsenses they do in their consulting rooms instead of focusing on research and development sad

If not for white invented technologies, Nigerian doctors are almost useless angry

darlenese:
my elder broth year er had avn appendicitis surgery , after the surgery he kept complaining of stomach pains , the doctors said he was OK
, a year later he travelled out of the country , the stomach pains became severe ,unbearable , u was rushed to the hospital , it was discovered that a rotten lump of cotton wool was removed from his stomach

All they care about is big salary like foreign doctors but to do their clinical jobs thoroughly they will never focus sad
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by franchasng: 1:18pm On Feb 23, 2020
TheArchangel:
Not anymore because the major actors in the operating room are always in a hurry. The old-fashioned team of operators won't leave until everything is accounted for no matter how long it takes but the teams we have now believes that they are gods.
That's until our lawyers wakes up to do the needful.
God bless you!

Its because Nigeria judiciary is dead, if not 70 - 80% of Nigerian doctors will be at Kirikiri serving life sentence or waiting to be executed by hanging angry

All they care about is big salary like foreign doctors but are they as good and creative as white doctors NO!!

They should pray I don't become Nigeria's President sooner, I will make very strict laws that will send most Nigerian doctors to Kirikiri angry
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by franchasng: 1:22pm On Feb 23, 2020
olasaad:

Don't you think there should be another scan after CS in order for you to check again if you have forgotten foreign objects inside the patient.
You rarely hear this kind of nonsense happening in US or European hospitals, only in Nigeria where doctors feel they are demigods for studying MBBS at the university, forgetting that its also humans like them that invented the medical equipments, procedures, and other technologies that made practical medicine easier, yet those people don't raise their shoulder up angry
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by proclinician: 1:33pm On Feb 23, 2020
pocohantas:
I hereby separate you from the other alfa males. Obviously you can function outside toto affairs.

I hope the rest can learn from you. grin

Haha what a name for a body part lol
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Czartega(m): 1:40pm On Feb 23, 2020
Olumighty123:

It's because they didn't follow the protocol. Normally you are supposed to count the number of abdominal mops opened and used before closing up the patient. If you count it and it's not complete you don't cover up the patient until you find it. That way the possibility of forgetting something inside the body is erased
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Goddyj(m): 1:41pm On Feb 23, 2020
Wait o! Does it mean that all those star-apples seeds and those fish bones I swallowed are still somewhere inside my abdomen

God help me o!
embarassed
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by kullozone(m): 1:42pm On Feb 23, 2020
EVILFOREST:
FIRST;
I FOUND NAIL and was removed endoscopically.

SECOND was a TOY BEAD impacted at the Tracheoesophageal junction of a CHILD, which led to respiratory embarrassment.

THIRD, was a macerated Gauze Bandage left inadvertently in the peritoneal cavity of a patient who later came down with a high output enterocutaneous (faecal) fistula.

Hehe!

In Broken or English, please?
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by armadeo(m): 1:43pm On Feb 23, 2020
Chuzoetoh:
my father's d foolish one.

Honestly I dont blame you at all.
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by AuroraB(f): 1:45pm On Feb 23, 2020
may320:

So it's the money that's important than the life at stake abi?
Did I ask you undecided
If I did, is this the answer to my question undecided
A lawsuit would be in order, I'd say angry
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by freemi(m): 1:48pm On Feb 23, 2020
Dozie32:

Mumu!! Who called you?? idiot!
ode! jobless goat
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by Fentanyl: 1:51pm On Feb 23, 2020
ogbuefi677:
Nails,pins and needles. Dude was a mentally ill patient.

this one too is claiming surgeon
looooooool
rat surgeon? or you're mistaking sewing clothes for surgery
nairaland and its numerous lies and clownish characters
Re: As A Surgeon, What Is The Most Dangerous Thing You Have Found Inside A Patient? by BennyDon: 1:55pm On Feb 23, 2020
moscobabs:
Gourd( Ado)

I won't say more than that cos it's spiritual

Eskis me, Sir. They're talking to medical doctors not traditional doctor like you.

Aboru boye o #lmao

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

11 Mysterious Deaths In Bonny Island, Rivers State / Health Management Information System - SIITGO / Top 10 Nigerian Medical Practitioners In America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.