Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,370 members, 7,829,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money (12549 Views)

My Pet Project: Is It Economically Feasible To Rear Local Chickens Commercially? / Local Chickens Vs Broilers / For Sale, Local Chickens For Breeding/hatching Turkey, Guinea Fowl Eggs. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by my2chains(m): 6:21am On Feb 23, 2020
Rearing local breeds of domestic fowls is a lucrative business yet to be discovered in Nigeria.

Contemplating starting a poultry farm goes with lots of fears especially if it has to do with rearing the exotic breeds of domestic fowl. Rearing the exotic breeds has a lot of pitfalls that discourages prospective poultry farms. Some of the disadvantages include disease outbreaks and high capital and labour intensity.
Have you thought of rearing local breeds of domestic fowls? They are not labour and capital intensive compared to local breeds and it has high profit turnover as well if well practiced.

Background Information about rearing local breeds of domestic fowls

Pullets (young female chickens) mature and start laying eggs when they reach 20 – 24 weeks (5 to 6 months).The time can be reduced if you introduce the idea of removing the chick from the mother hen immediately they hatch and start feeding them with growers starter feed.
Egg production is likely to reduce by nearly 50 percent when these layers reach 18 to 24 months of age. A single layer of the local breed can produce up to 300 – 450 eggs in her productive lifetime if the proper management, feeding and disease prevention practices are undertaken. This makes rearing local breeds of domestic fowls a profitable business if you are thinking of a business to start.
With these production figures in mind, a well-positioned producer can target a domestic market (small retailers, kiosk operators, housewives etc.) and become the neighbourhood egg supplier of choice. Since most families have eggs in their diet nowadays, it makes a lot of sense that you exploit your neighbourhood market!

How to start rearing local breeds of domestic fowls

If you start with 10 mature hens and one cock initially, your flock would probably expand in the following trend. 10 hens can lay around 20 eggs each which gives about 200 eggs in one cycle, but each hen can comfortably sit on 15 eggs, making a total of 10×15=150 chicks.
Thus one will have 161 birds after hatching-including the original hens and a cock. Since it is estimated that 40 per cent of the chicks would be cocks, the farmer would remain with 90 new hens, thus totaling to 100.
After six months all birds will be mature to start laying eggs. 100 birds will lay 2,000 eggs per cycle. Since the principle is that each hen can comfortably sit on 15 eggs, the chicks will be 1500 plus the one hundred mature hens equaling to 1600 birds and soforth. You can start this business with just N 5000.Smaller local breeds of fowl (3-6months old) are sold in the neighborhood of N800 to N1000. This is why you may have to think towards rearing local breeds of domestic fowls.

You can practice semi intensive system of keeping the birds which entails providing shelter for the birds and partly provision of feed. In this system, the birds are allowed to roam about in search for food but you can minimize their mobility by providing them with locally processed feed from cereals. Like Chafs gotten after processing pap (akamu).

An ideal house for the birds should have its two long side walls built up to 2.5 feet to 3 feet from the ground and the rest of the walls fixed with either chicken wire mesh or sticks for good ventilation. If possible the floor can be of concrete but, a well rammed soil floor is adequate if you don’t have the resources.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by Bentila(m): 7:50am On Feb 23, 2020
my2chains:
Rearing local breeds of domestic fowls is a lucrative business yet to be discovered in Nigeria.

Contemplating starting a poultry farm goes with lots of fears especially if it has to do with rearing the exotic breeds of domestic fowl. Rearing the exotic breeds has a lot of pitfalls that discourages prospective poultry farms. Some of the disadvantages include disease outbreaks and high capital and labour intensity.
Have you thought of rearing local breeds of domestic fowls? They are not labour and capital intensive compared to local breeds and it has high profit turnover as well if well practiced.

Background Information about rearing local breeds of domestic fowls

Pullets (young female chickens) mature and start laying eggs when they reach 20 – 24 weeks (5 to 6 months).The time can be reduced if you introduce the idea of removing the chick from the mother hen immediately they hatch and start feeding them with growers starter feed.
Egg production is likely to reduce by nearly 50 percent when these layers reach 18 to 24 months of age. A single layer of the local breed can produce up to 300 – 450 eggs in her productive lifetime if the proper management, feeding and disease prevention practices are undertaken. This makes rearing local breeds of domestic fowls a profitable business if you are thinking of a business to start.
With these production figures in mind, a well-positioned producer can target a domestic market (small retailers, kiosk operators, housewives etc.) and become the neighbourhood egg supplier of choice. Since most families have eggs in their diet nowadays, it makes a lot of sense that you exploit your neighbourhood market!

How to start rearing local breeds of domestic fowls

If you start with 10 mature hens and one cock initially, your flock would probably expand in the following trend. 10 hens can lay around 20 eggs each which gives about 200 eggs in one cycle, but each hen can comfortably sit on 15 eggs, making a total of 10×15=150 chicks.
Thus one will have 161 birds after hatching-including the original hens and a cock. Since it is estimated that 40 per cent of the chicks would be cocks, the farmer would remain with 90 new hens, thus totaling to 100.
After six months all birds will be mature to start laying eggs. 100 birds will lay 2,000 eggs per cycle. Since the principle is that each hen can comfortably sit on 15 eggs, the chicks will be 1500 plus the one hundred mature hens equaling to 1600 birds and soforth. You can start this business with just N 5000.Smaller local breeds of fowl (3-6months old) are sold in the neighborhood of N800 to N1000. This is why you may have to think towards rearing local breeds of domestic fowls.

You can practice semi intensive system of keeping the birds which entails providing shelter for the birds and partly provision of feed. In this system, the birds are allowed to roam about in search for food but you can minimize their mobility by providing them with locally processed feed from cereals. Like Chafs gotten after processing pap (akamu).

An ideal house for the birds should have its two long side walls built up to 2.5 feet to 3 feet from the ground and the rest of the walls fixed with either chicken wire mesh or sticks for good ventilation. If possible the floor can be of concrete but, a well rammed soil floor is adequate if you don’t have the resources.
Good write up. However I like you to take a second look at some of your figures again. How many hens lay up to 15eggs at a go? I will say its an average of 10 eggs. Then remember that in most cases not all eggs do get hatched. Also not all chicks hatched make it up to maturity, factor disease, predators and other death causes into your figures. In all please take a second look at your figures. Well done

9 Likes

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 9:17pm On Feb 23, 2020
This is great

How many can l start with on a commercial level & can l have the break down of what it will cost & what sales or profit l can make from it excluding the housing
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by my2chains(m): 6:42pm On Feb 25, 2020
BoluwGoldenFarm:
This is great

How many can l start with on a commercial level & can l have the break down of what it will cost & what sales or profit l can make from it excluding the housing

there is no much funds to spend here,

after building and constructing their house all you need is go to the market and buy strong and healthy local fowls,

if you dont have much you can seem to start with 2 females and one male fowl,

some do mark with colour or tie a string of red small cloth to the wings of their fowls so they can identify theirs.

Within just a year you will be surprised and amazed by the rate of local fowls you will call your own.

They can really be as many as posible because they reproduce well in numbers.

At least in local fowl rearing business there is no much need for treating them for diseases as for layers and broilers abi na boilers is that their useless name self,

those little idiots can really waist away investors money instantly without even looking back
LOL!

Cheers!

4 Likes

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 10:20am On Feb 28, 2020
my2chains:

after building and constructing their house all you need is go to the market and buy strong and healthy local fowls,

some do mark with colour or tie a string of red small cloth to the wings of their fowls so they can identify theirs.

Within just a year you will be surprised and amazed by the rate of local fowls you will call your own.

At least in local fowl rearing business there is no much need for treating them for diseases as for layers and broilers abi na boilers is that their useless name self,

those little idiots can really waist away investors money instantly without even looking back
LOL!

Cheers!

Thanks l.will post what l am doing.

Can l have your WhatsApp number
Mine is 08120528950

1 Like

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by Richfarmer(m): 10:06am On Nov 09, 2020
my2chains:

LOL!

Cheers!

lol,
please who else is into this local chicken production and rearing?

Dont really know how much their market prizes are worth now,

maybe they are good to rear unlike other poultry birds that are been ravaged by diseases and cost of feeds.

3 Likes

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by J2bagroventures: 2:33pm On Nov 09, 2020
Richfarmer:

lol,
please who else is into this local chicken production and rearing?

Dont really know how much their market prizes are worth now,

maybe they are good to rear unlike other poultry birds that are been ravaged by diseases and cost of feeds.
local chicken rearing is not also bread and butter,it involves technicalities from transportation to the farm,to settling them down.
it also involves knowing the vegetables to plant inorder to get them a balanced ration,but in all,it is more profitable and less stressful than the broiler,boiler and co.
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by my2chains(m): 7:00pm On Nov 09, 2020
Hello everyone here,

i have a business idea that i need serious partners or investors on,
although i have no capital but I have a land I rented with borehole there!

so there is water available,
the farmland is in lagos and is closer to the market.

please invest on farming today because it pays and its very profitable on the long run,

you can really plant pepper,okro,tomato,cucumber,ugu leaf.water leaf,plantain,cassava,etc

after planting you can carry them to sell at mile 12 market for faster sales,
or maybe any large populated markets around

although in mile 12 market in lagos a bag of 25kg pepper is sold 8k
a basket of tomato is 6k
a custard paint of okro is 300 to 700 depending on the season,
a bag of water leaf sells from 2,500 to 5000

please note the prizes of all this crops do changes with time,

and you wont expect the prize they are been sold today to be sold the same prize next week or so.

apart from mile 12 there are also other markets women nearby that needs steady supply of all this crops i have mentioned here.

to me all of them are profitable and good,
but i prefer planting okro because of no too much stress and worry of diseases and pest,

expectially the dwarf okro seeds that matures in just 54 days with less stress,

even without applying manure or fertilizers to it,

anyone interested in partnering with me on this will gain a lot.

If you already have a land that is free then this is an advantage

this dwarf okro produces faster everyday,

just 1 plot of land can give you much more okro to sell and make money as you can ever imagine,

if you have an acre filled with okro then you will have enough to sell comercially,

just 1 acre of land filled with okro will make you harvest baskets of okro every single day for almost 3-4 months depending on the duration and life of the seeds,

a basket of okro can sell upwards from 5k-7k depending on the season

and 1 acre of land can give you more than 10 baskets everyday

as for marketing i have agents in mile 12 that sells for you and take only 10% of the total sales

we can even sell at iyano-iba market that is very closer to my side.
Or do make supplies to restaurants that will be needing it

You can even startup with just 1 plot of land and be successfull in this and increase with time,

this is indeed a money spiner for anyone interested

invest on this and start counting real money

i am based in lagos we can get to meet one on one to discuss this

please and please i need people who can think outside the box on this,

i am geniun and i have no issue on trust
all i want is the way forward to achieving a greater tomorrow

a good name is far more better than a bad name,

a budget of 60-75k can startup and maintain 1 plot of okro till we reach harvest from buying of machine to pump the water to buying of manures, hybrid okro seeds,pesticides/insecticides,watering them daily, transportation and fertilizers

all i want is just to be the farm manager thats all

do call me on 09032884494

thanks
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by Kutunban: 2:45pm On Aug 25, 2022
Nice thread, I'm currently in the business, my target is 10,000 birds before 2025. I currently have 20 local females already laying.

Sourcing for good females is the challenge because most of the ones in the market are infected with diseases.

1 Like

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by CitynewsNG(m): 2:07pm On Oct 23, 2022
Watch this video on how to you can start your local chicken farm in Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQ8Ue7Bu28
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by andycoal40(m): 6:53am On Jan 23, 2023
Kutunban:
Nice thread, I'm currently in the business, my target is 10,000 birds before 2025. I currently have 20 local females already laying.

Sourcing for good females is the challenge because most of the ones in the market are infected with diseases.

Really?
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by rainmoredays: 9:53am On Jan 24, 2023
Kutunban:

Sorry, where do you intend to keep the 10,000 birds
And keep in mind that some will surely roam away. Especially the cocks, they will go after female and may not return home

1 Like

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 9:00am On Jan 25, 2023
Do you know that locals can be rear in Cages or low cost housing but you don't need to have up to 10,000
Only 520 is enough, 400 females to 120 sharp males are ok in a deep litter pen that can take 1,000 agric chicken
Feeding them must be plan

quote author=rainmoredays post=120329818]Sorry, where do you intend to keep the 10,000 birds
And keep in mind that some will surely roam away. Especially the cocks, they will go after female and may not return home[/quote]
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 9:02am On Jan 25, 2023
Is your number on WhatsApp
Contact me on Whatsapp 08120528950

my2chains:
Hello everyone here,

please invest on farming today because it pays and its very profitable on the long run,

you can really plant pepper,okro,tomato,cucumber,ugu leaf.water leaf,plantain,cassava,etc

a basket of tomato is 6k

and you wont expect the prize they are been sold today to be sold the same prize next week or so.

apart from mile 12 there are also other markets women nearby that needs steady supply of all this crops i have mentioned here.

but i prefer planting okro because of no too much stress and worry of diseases and pest,

just 1 plot of land can give you much more okro to sell and make money as you can ever imagine,

if you have an acre filled with okro then you will have enough to sell comercially,

just 1 acre of land filled with okro will make you harvest baskets of okro every single day for almost 3-4 months depending on the duration and life of the seeds,

as for marketing i have agents in mile 12 that sells for you and take only 10% of the total sales

You can even startup with just 1 plot of land and be successfull in this and increase with time,

a budget of 60-75k can startup and maintain 1 plot of okro till we reach harvest from buying of machine to pump the water to buying of manures, hybrid okro seeds,pesticides/insecticides,watering them daily, transportation and fertilizers

thanks
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 8:39am On Feb 09, 2023
Do you know that everyone needs mentor to go far in life.
The demand for local chicken is on an increase daily, weekly and monthly
Do you know you can make good money from it and it is very easy to do
With just 2 males and 10 females of local Fowl you can have up to 300 or more new birds .

Through Knowledge, wisdom and God' help , one can enjoy life and be successful in all that you do in life.

All the ten females hen will hatch at same day and only 3 will take care of 100 day old local chicks while the remaining 7 will be release to rest & start laying eggs.
You can get 3-4kg from birth on each Local chicken in 3-4 months with our economy feeding Technic .
Do you want to learn more for a fee
Contact
Engr Gbenga on calls 08136650972 or on WhatsApp 08120528950
Please only serious minded persons should do so
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by Digitalwall(f): 9:04am On Feb 09, 2023
Pls, how much does a local Cock sell for now at distributor's price?
Thanks.
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by Sanyajones: 5:38pm On Oct 13, 2023
Good afternoon sir, Pls is noiler a good choice chicken rearing
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by grandeoj09(m): 10:16pm On Jan 12
Some Advantages of Raring Local Chicken are listed below

1. They are self-sustaining i.e. can raise their replacement stock.

2. They are hardy birds that can survive harsh conditions.

3. Management requirements are not as critical as those of commercial exotic breeds.

4. They are immune to some diseases and parasites.

5. Their products fetch more money than those from exotic birds.

1 Like

Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by ahmedio2017(m): 9:27am On Apr 03
J2bagroventures:
local chicken rearing is not also bread and butter,it involves technicalities from transportation to the farm,to settling them down.
it also involves knowing the vegetables to plant inorder to get them a balanced ration,but in all,it is more profitable and less stressful than the broiler,boiler and co.

Pls what vegetables and plants are you talking about
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by ahmedio2017(m): 9:31am On Apr 03
grandeoj09:
Some Advantages of Raring Local Chicken are listed below

1. They are self-sustaining i.e. can raise their replacement stock.

2. They are hardy birds that can survive harsh conditions.

3. Management requirements are not as critical as those of commercial exotic breeds.

4. They are immune to some diseases and parasites.

5. Their products fetch more money than those from exotic birds.

Pls how much is local egg now per one
Re: How To Successfully Rear Local Chickens/fowls For Money by Otiwaikuku: 6:40pm On Apr 04
my2chains:
Hello everyone here,

a basket of tomato is 6k

thanks

Good day,
It been awhile you posted this but I don’t know if you are still interested in the farm business?
I did like to hear from you

(1) (Reply)

Food Inflation Up By 108% Since 2015, Despite Billions On Agriculture / 7 Key Ways To Solve Rice Production Problem In Nigeria / My Broiler Farm (250 Zartech Broilers) Expected To Raise For 8-10 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.