Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,470 members, 7,812,445 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . (69926 Views)

Manatee: This Creature Was Killed In Badagry Yesterday. Who Knows The Name? / Manatee: Sea Cow Rescued In Lagos (Photo) / Trapped Manatee Caught And Butchered In Bayelsa By Residents. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by NagazGeneral: 9:00pm On Feb 24, 2020
Nigeria's environment ministry has launched an investigation after a video emerged of an endangered manatee, also known as a sea cow, being dragged along a dusty road by a group of young men.

It is not clear when the footage was filmed.

The animal has been tied in ropes and can be seen trying to get away.

Deputy environment minister Sharon Ikeazor branded the video "very distressing", and said officials were trying to rescue the creature.

Ms Ikeazor said the incident took place in the oil-rich Niger Delta region, and called for an awareness campaign "to educate our people to protect the manatee".

Manatees are large marine mammals which are mostly herbivorous.

It is illegal to hunt them in Nigeria, but they are still killed for their meat, oil, and organs which are used in traditional medicine, AFP news agency reports.

Many people in the Niger Delta are poor, despite the region's oil wealth.

Pressure group the Blue Planet Society, which campaigns to preserve ocean life, said it was shocking that a "supposedly protected West African manatee can be abused in such a public way".

There are about 10,000 manatees along the coast of West Africa, AFP reports, but their numbers are in steep decline.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-africa-51619623

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI8gcKoq5C4

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by godofuck231: 9:07pm On Feb 24, 2020
savages will always be to them it's An achievement

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by SciLab: 9:31pm On Feb 24, 2020
A lot of illiterate idiots less than savages inhabit the space called Nigeria.

They are only interested in kill! Eat! Kill Eat!

No innovation, no creativity, just empty skulls. I still suspect that cannibals still exist in Nigeria.

285 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by spinna: 9:33pm On Feb 24, 2020
At least kill the poor beast or transport it in water...this is too bad. Just too bad. Nigerians have been brought so low..

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by hisexcellency34: 9:37pm On Feb 24, 2020
Trump wont lift the travel ban

242 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by ursullalinda(f): 9:46pm On Feb 24, 2020
Didn't know I will feel for an animal like this....it's was just too cruel!

50 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by ZombieHUNT: 9:56pm On Feb 24, 2020
Useless country
Useless citizens
Useless government

Let me tell you guys a story... In a sane country.. A rat stuck on a grate was rescued by the towns fire fighters... I mean the life of a mere rat meant so much that they used state resources to save it

SMH. .Nigeria is a glorified disease

80 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Godsfavour78: 10:55pm On Feb 24, 2020
ZombieHUNT:
Useless country
Useless citizens
Useless government

Let me tell you guys a story... In a sane country.. A rat stuck on a grate was rescued by the towns fire fighters... I mean the life of a mere rat meant so much that they used state resources to save it

SMH. .Nigeria is a glorified disease
if possible I will even use grenade launcher on the rat. I hate this animal so much since I was a kid I remember driving nail through the skull of a rat caught in rat gum and it started bleeding from the nose and mouth and eyes and ears. I also burnt out the eyes of another one with matches.

Just last week I saw a weakened rat outside my house I buried it alive.

73 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by spinna: 11:44pm On Feb 24, 2020
Godsfavour78:
if possible I will even use grenade launcher on the rat. I hate this animal so much since I was a kid I remember driving nail through the skull of a rat caught in rat gum and it started bleeding from the nose and mouth and eyes and ears. I also burnt out the eyes of another one with matches.

Just last week I saw a weakened rat outside my house I buried it alive.

hm no be so oyibo dey take recognise serial killers. grin Every animal deserves a quick death if it must die..im not judging you though i did such as a child but as adults we must do the right thing by being humane..In Nigeria we sometimes are not even human talk less of humane

134 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by davillian(m): 1:02am On Feb 25, 2020
This is heartbreaking for those of us who watch Natgeo wild...
I wish I can save that animal from being slaughtered...

25 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Taich(m): 2:08am On Feb 25, 2020
In Nigeria where there is limited option on occupation or source of income, this video is bound to happen. We can shout to high heavens but the truth is that people are hungry and will kill and eat anything to survive.

18 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by marshalcarter: 5:03am On Feb 25, 2020
spinna:

hm no be so oyibo dey take recognise serial killers. grin Every animal deserves a quick death if it must die..im not judging you though i did such as a child but as adults we must do the right thing by being humane..In Nigeria we sometimes are not even human talk less of humane
cheesy grin foreign rat go see you... instead make dem japa..dem go dey cum close to you with fear ooooohgrin but if naija animal sense say person dey come... hmmmm...so sometimes no be our fault grin cheesy

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by ArmaniUhuru: 9:04am On Feb 25, 2020
Nigerians are hypocrites! Many are shouting animal cruelty online, but they do the same offline.

There’s so much hunger in land! You will not understand if you have food in your house.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by NORSYK(m): 9:04am On Feb 25, 2020
But, how can people eat such animal?
Looking at it gets me irritated

6 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by talk2hb1(m): 9:05am On Feb 25, 2020
Hungry Nigerian

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by HigherEd: 9:05am On Feb 25, 2020
Nigeria is an example of an Esau nation. There's no sense of cultivation and nurture. Only to eat, live and deplete the environment.

21 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by priscaoge(f): 9:05am On Feb 25, 2020
Animal cruelty cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by ybalogs(m): 9:06am On Feb 25, 2020
Kindness to animals should be thought in schools. We lack that basic training in Nigeria.

11 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by itsme01: 9:06am On Feb 25, 2020
undecided

is there any sense in dragging it like that? cant they butcher it and move it in bits if they so much need to eat and feed on it, now if Fulani Herdsmen also threat them in this barbaric way they squawk and wail

3 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Bamz(m): 9:06am On Feb 25, 2020
The Ministry of Environment should do more than react to the video. Where's the plan for sensitisation? Are there incentives for turning in these manatees?

It's easy to blame these guys but what do they know? Most of them aren't enlightened enough, and are only looking for their next meal.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by zubydave(m): 9:06am On Feb 25, 2020
These guys should be arrested; I mean, this is terribly bad.

5 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Olalan(m): 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
Ignorance and poverty at it's peak

6 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by 3pleo: 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
angry
Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Dshocker(m): 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
grin grin grin Food is ready

3 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by digicreator: 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
Chai
Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by ybalogs(m): 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
Calling some Nigerians animals is even dignifying them,some are worse than animals.

13 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Nobody: 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
When you live in a jungle, don't expect any less.

5 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Perfecttouchade: 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
Cool... but let's bear in mind that as we all react to these animal cruelty committed by some heartless persons, do we also react to the current killings of innocent lives thesame way.. together we all can raise our voices to stop animal cruelty and innocent killings, police brutality and others..

7 Likes

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by pacespot(m): 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
Poor manatee

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by opalu: 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
Ok
Re: Video Of A Manatee Dragged Along The Road In Niger Delta Region Sparks Outrage . by Renforce: 9:07am On Feb 25, 2020
R.I.p dear manatee

Please what is wrong with us in this part of the world undecided

For just 135k you could get a 1kva Inverter, 100AH rugged deep cycle battery, 150w panel and a 30A controller + installation. The system would serve 10hrs daily on basic loadings. Call on us now!

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My First Time Seeing Elephants Fight. No Wonder They Say Grass Stuffers (Video) / The Tree That Bleeds Like Human (Facts And Pictures) / Massive Fish Caught In Uganda That Is "More Expensive" Than The New iPhone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.