Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:10 AM

The Big Freeze In Uk. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Big Freeze In Uk. (3145 Views)

Is Barbing. Profitable In Uk Or Usa / Discretionary Leave To Remain Visa In UK. / Ten Nigerians Held In Uk For Marriage, Immigration Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Big Freeze In Uk. by Mygoldie(f): 1:58pm On Dec 18, 2010
This snow is just too much,now im contemplating whether to go out or not,one cannot even drive, urgh!! sad sad sad

2 Likes

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by ada24: 3:20pm On Dec 18, 2010
stay at home - I was meant to go to Brent Cross, then I get a text that its closed. This snow is not a joke this year o!!

the roads have not been gritted cos the snow fell very quickly and can u imagine that one of the busiest airports in the world - Heathrow has been closed - thats when u know its serious. All my friends and family that ventured out this morning are now stuck at their various locations.

2 Likes

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 4:52pm On Dec 18, 2010
@ poster, you could have added more flesh to the first post as a way of introducing the topic.

@topic, yes, its the worst i have found it in all my years here. we say last yr was bad but this time around, jaw dropping comes to mind.

btw, it looks like a white Christmas this year, hurray.

2 Likes

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 4:59pm On Dec 18, 2010
pictures from the uk

1 Like

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 5:01pm On Dec 18, 2010
more pics.

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Mygoldie(f): 8:50pm On Dec 18, 2010
Snowdrops those pics of yours is the real deal,i was meant to travel by tube today,but i had a change of heart.

@ada i don't know why they had to close brent cross shopping center.thank goodness the shopping center that's close to mine was left open,had to get some good jackets,lol.

Cold no go kill man pikin.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by r231(m): 10:09pm On Dec 18, 2010
i don't understand weekend snow

this should have been on monday morning grin grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by cougar1: 10:13pm On Dec 18, 2010
ada24:

stay at home - I was meant to go to Brent Cross, then I get a text that its closed. This snow is not a joke this year o!!

the roads have not been gritted cos the snow fell very quickly and can u imagine that one of the busiest airports in the world - Heathrow has been closed - thats when u know its serious. All my friends and family that ventured out this morning are now stuck at their various locations.

heathrow is paralysed, gatwick is paralysed, the underground is paralysed, st pancras and paddington are paralysed. london has effectively closed down - this country is useless when it comes to dealing with adverse weather. one would have thought a country as organised as this would put proper arrangement in place to curb such but pssssf! germany is colder and they are coping effectively with their winter.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Mygoldie(f): 10:27pm On Dec 18, 2010
your right cougar,they had to close down almost every means of transport all becos of a common snow.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by cougar1: 10:29pm On Dec 18, 2010
england is a second world country. grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by joxiri: 11:01pm On Dec 18, 2010
is it true this weather will remain like this into the new year
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by cougar1: 11:09pm On Dec 18, 2010
joxiri:

is it true this weather will remain like this into the new year

yes, and the pitiful fools in this country cannot do anything to stop it. how long will it take the uk until they realise that snowy winter is something they better get used to and prepare for it? we are dreadful as a country, it's not like this snowy winters are rarity any more, it'll be like this every winter. yet the government will take about 15 years of proper winters before they consider actually preparing for it.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 11:40pm On Dec 18, 2010
the UK govt. need to pull itself together and stop letting its citizens down in snowy/icy weather. they tend to become too easily overwhelmed whenever there is an Arctic freeze.
the motorways are simply impassable today.
shocking
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by shotster50(m): 1:13am On Dec 19, 2010
It is very shocking that throughout the year, there are several warnings of heavy snowfall in winter but each time a single drop of snow falls, the whole of UK becomes paralyzed. During the labour regime, they took the blame, now the almighty ConLibs are in power, nothing seems to have changed.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by xreal: 9:21am On Dec 19, 2010
no place like home . . . especially to spend this season.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by queenafric(f): 9:50am On Dec 19, 2010
Thank God am back home. I always dread the winter while over there, and x-mas is most times boring for me. Now i am here, i will make the most of the sunshine and the beach this xmas. YUPPPEEEE!
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by joxiri: 10:25am On Dec 19, 2010
Its the ice on the floor that is the pain, the way it settles into an ice rink, had a few near misses already and no shoes seem to be able to cope with it
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by heryyy(m): 12:40pm On Dec 19, 2010
meeeeee grin

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 19, 2010
^^ Buffoon  grin grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by ikeyman00(m): 3:04pm On Dec 19, 2010
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ha ha
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Mygoldie(f): 5:25pm On Dec 19, 2010
heryyy:

meeeeee grin

haahahahaha coming out with just a towel? omo no let this cold damage you oh, oya go inside, grin grin grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Mygoldie(f): 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2010
my snow photos,i couldn't dare to go outside,lol.

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Mygoldie(f): 5:38pm On Dec 19, 2010
second one.

Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 7:30pm On Dec 19, 2010
heryyy:

meeeeee grin
You are joking right.

I reserve my comments
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 19, 2010
Strangely, the snow hasn't stopped me from getting out and about. One of the reasons I've always gone for AWD Audi's. In this case, an Audi A4 Avant 3,0L Quattro.

She's currently having a make-over, and I'm driving an old Peugeot 405 STi Estate, which is regular FWD. I still don't get stuck. I guess it's down to the way you drive, i.e how you pull away from standstill, brake, what gears you use, how you ascend and descend snowy slopes etc.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by MrsSiena1(f): 10:55pm On Dec 19, 2010
r231:

i don't understand weekend snow

this should have been on monday morning grin grin

Lol. grin grin lazy man you no wan go work abi. God catch you it will only snow on weekends rather than weekdays becos of you. Lol
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by r231(m): 10:58pm On Dec 19, 2010
Mrs. Siena:

Lol. grin grin lazy man you no wan go work abi. God catch you it will only snow on weekends rather than weekdays becos of you. Lol

hahahahaha

it should just continue like dis till thursday grin grin grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by snowdrops(m): 12:37am On Dec 20, 2010
Siena:

Strangely, the snow hasn't stopped me from getting out and about. One of the reasons I've always gone for AWD Audi's. In this case, an Audi A4 Avant 3,0L Quattro.

She's currently having a make-over, and I'm driving an old Peugeot 405 STi Estate, which is regular FWD. I still don't get stuck. I guess it's down to the way you drive, i.e how you pull away from standstill, brake, what gears you use, how you ascend and descend snowy slopes etc.

Nice one.
But whatever you do avoid BMWs. They are useless on ice.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by Gemma11: 6:15pm On Dec 20, 2010
cou-gar:

england is a second world country. grin

cou-gar:

heathrow is paralysed, gatwick is paralysed, the underground is paralysed, st pancras and paddington are paralysed. london has effectively closed down - this country is useless when it comes to dealing with adverse weather. one would have thought a country as organised as this would put proper arrangement in place to curb such but pssssf! germany is colder and they are coping effectively with their winter.

snowdrops:

the UK govt. need to pull itself together and stop letting its citizens down in snowy/icy weather. they tend to become too easily overwhelmed whenever there is an Arctic freeze.
the motorways are simply impassable today.
shocking

It is just South-East England and not the whole of the UK as they deal very well with the snow in Scotland and the rest of North Eastern Region and it snows far worst over there.

Londoners and the rest in the South East are just too spoilt for works and this type of snow fall which is a new phenomenon in this part of the country is giving many i.e. Local government an excuse to take the piss.
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by TeeJay6(m): 7:40pm On Dec 20, 2010
heryyy:

meeeeee grin
coward, next time i dare u to go out without a towel, grin
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by ada24: 8:36pm On Dec 20, 2010
I really don't get this country, a bit of snow and there is travel chaos - as for them saying this is strange weather is absolute BS, in the 80s it used to snow quite often so just cos we have nearly 12-15 years of mild winters they now relax. the one that annoyed me last night is when the transport minister had the gut to say "if we invest the money in clearing snow then we can't spend it elsewhere" yeah like dashing the people of luton half a million to inform the police of extremists - KMT!!!

as for the roads being gritted - these councils don't seem to know what we pay council tax for and that Philip Hammond annoyed me again a few weeks ago saying we should clear the snow ourselves as part of the BIG SOCIETY - ABSOLUTE NONSENSE.

Anyway my only concern right now is not getting stuck on my way to hospital - I'm about to pop and don't want to end up giving birth on a flipping A road or motorway.

ok rant over - this snow is not allowing me to go shopping and then u go to buy milk and the shelf is empty - what is that about!!!
Re: The Big Freeze In Uk. by r231(m): 11:31pm On Dec 20, 2010
snowdrops:

Nice one.
But whatever you do avoid BMWs. They are useless on ice.

says who

mine is coping just fine

(1) (2) (Reply)

PICTURES: All About The OBUDU Mountain Resort, Nigeria.(you Should See!!) / Vienna, The World Best Livable City / Mambilla Plateau Taraba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.