Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? (1403 Views)

Is Hip Hop Destroying Black America? / Club Finest Mixtape Vol.2: Roll Call Is Hip Hop (rap) Blazin' / "The Sad Truth About Hip Hop" <chain letter> (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by MP007(m): 11:29am On Jun 03, 2007
this issue as generated a lot of heat in the media esp after the aftermath of the don imus case. A lot of black see it as racism, they stil atacking hip hop is attacking black people, But wait. if its ture that hip hop influences voilence and drugs , what about rock and hard metal? just wondering
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by 9ja4eva: 1:33am On Jun 14, 2007
Not really
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by lazy(m): 9:28pm On Jun 18, 2007
I personally think that a large portion of hip hop today doesn't reflect Black culture or is created for Black People. So I don't see why people see attacking hip hop is attacking Black culture. I think they should evaluate first what is Black culture and see if what they see/hear on the T.V./Radio is promoting that.
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by Kenezi: 12:43pm On Sep 02, 2008
Hip hop is a disgrace to Africans.
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 02, 2008
I'd say no.

Violence has been around way longer than hip-hop.
Folk will always find something to blame for their crimes.

Sure, hip-hop can have a violent theme, but as long as folk have a brain that works, they won't be influenced by what these songs are about.
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by ssRhino: 3:16pm On Sep 02, 2008
Hip Hop is just a culture, it is the pple that gets involved that are trying to destroy it, and there is nothing like violence in it, cos pple like boyz 2men are into hip hop and nothing like violence, it is the gang behind some of the culture that si causing the wahala.
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by KB1(m): 10:49pm On Sep 02, 2008
Boys 2 Men, is a R&B group, not a hip hop group. cheesy
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by shotster50(m): 2:48am On Oct 19, 2008
To insinuate that hip-hip contributes to violence in the African /African Americans communities more so than any other community or ethnic group is to perpetuate the stereotype that African/African Americans are more easily influenced by external stimuli than others. To ask this question is also to disregard the fact that other ethnic groups have dealt with violence in music and it's potential to negatively influence the youth. People should instead examine the individuals who commit violent acts and their personal predisposition to violence. We should instead consider the music as document of the violence that is destroying urban communities all over America not the cause of it.

Music does not cause or contribute to violence, but is a reaction to it. Music cannot create an emotion that is not already present but only enhance what is there. A person who is prone to violence maybe riled by a particular song, but the desire to commit violence was already there from the beginning. Consider the Columbine case, various musical acts were targeted as influences for inciting the killers to act, Marilyn Manson being one of the most prominent. The boys would have acted the same in the absence of the music, because their motivation for killing was a result of their internal response to their environment, not the music.

To say that anyone is incited to violence by a song or a certain type of music is to assert that they are an unstable person who is incapable of making sound decisions. Unstable people are capable of all manner of acts with out the slightest provocation, so music could make an unstable person commit a violent act. Stable, responsible people who are able to process their emotions properly and know right from wrong are able to listen to any song and appreciate it as a work or art or fiction. To lay blame for any crime on a work of art is to take remove responsibility from the offender and make it easier to stifle free speech.

This statement is also lumping the broad field of hip-hop into on category when in fact there are many positive hip-hop artists in the industry. So one could ask the opposite question. Does listening to positive songs make people commit positive acts? Does not listening to violent music keep violent offenders from committing crimes?

Hip-hop does not contribute to violence in the African / African-American community. Hip-hop, like other forms of music, is a testament to the violence, a verbal history of the violence. A violence which would continue whether the music is there or not.
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by slimfine(f): 11:59pm On Dec 25, 2008
I will say video game does
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by NaJaHaJe(f): 10:58pm On Dec 26, 2008
@topic

This is an argument that should strictly be for westernised countries. When did that become a viable topic for naija kids? Abegi jo!!!!!
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by tosinadeda: 11:25pm On Dec 26, 2008
poster is ignorant
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by kosovo(m): 11:34pm On Dec 26, 2008
tosinadeda:

poster is ignorant
and you are arrogant!
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by CGutta(m): 11:34pm On Dec 26, 2008
NaJa HaJe:

@topic

This is an argument that should strictly be for westernised countries. When did that become a viable topic for naija kids? Abegi jo!!!!!

na correct person u be seff, how naija go dey talk if hip hop is violent or not? naija wey don craze since it was found, @ pster be specific on wat side of the world are u referrin to,
Re: Is Hip-Hop Promoting Violence? by stkris(m): 6:32am On Dec 27, 2008
what do my lyrics have to do with dis sh*t/
scarface the movie did more than scarface the rapper to me/
   but that aint to blame for all d sh*t thats happened to me/
   r u saying what i'm spitting, is worse than these cellebutons/
   showing their kittens ;  u kidding? /
(refering to britney, paris n others flashing their p***y)
   lets quit d bull sh**ting/

JAY-Z - IGNORANT SH*T cool

(1) (Reply)

The Beat 99.9 Fm Cheated Me! / Official Nairaland Mixtape Songs- Download & Upload Here / Can Anyone Defend Kenny Ogungbe In This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.