Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,075 members, 7,825,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate (4572 Views)

HELP: My Car Is Consuming Too Much Fuel. / What Causes A Car To Start Consuming Fuel Excessively / My Car Is Consuming Water At A Rapid Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by eyoiba(m): 7:17pm On Dec 20, 2010
Please kindly help me out. Any body who knows about volvo S80 should tell me what is going on with my car and steps to take. It's consuming fuel at an alarming rate. I took it to the mechanic and he told me it's the plugs and changed them but the fuel consumption does not improve. He later told me it's one of the coils on the plugs. I'm afraid that the mechanic is just guessing and i don't want to buy the coil without any result. Please i really want to know the following: Is it that S80 is not fuel economical ? Could it be the coil as the mech said? If it's the coil (not the plug itself) like hw much can i get it? I live in ado-ekiti and i just bought the car about 4 months ago. Your reply will be higly useful.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by switosman(m): 8:04pm On Dec 20, 2010
the check engine light must be on on the dash.

just try and find where you can scan your car.

infact checkout baba4u93 on nairaland.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by kamikazee0(m): 3:54am On Dec 21, 2010
Yes, one (or more) of your cylinders might be misfiring (since your mechanic already replaced the spark plugs, i'd say ignition coil's gone bad ) but that should be noticeable when you drive the car (stuttering) - the idling might also be rough.
Your check engine light should be on as stated above.
Run a scan on the vehicle, see what it returns.
"A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring."

cheers
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by kamikazee0(m): 4:48am On Dec 21, 2010
By the way, a new ignition coil will vary btw (10-14)k, and (6-7.5)k for a used one.
where to get one? Lagos, your mechanic should be able to get you one.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by eyoiba(m): 11:47am On Dec 21, 2010
Switosman and Kamikazee thanks for your responses. The "check engine" sign is always displayed on the dash board. What does it mean? Is it that i should take my car for scanning (Which i will do as both of u have suggested) or does it mean any other thing that i'm not aware of? Please how fuel economical is volvo S80 in good working condition compared to other brands? Is there going to be an improvement if i change the igition coil? I should have asked these questions before buying the car embarassed. I'm spending so much on fuel.
@Switosman, hw can i get baba4u93 on naira land?
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by kamikazee0(m): 8:12am On Dec 22, 2010
Don't worry Bro.
I have one myself and i LOVE it. Well, yes you should have tried to get as much info about the vehicle (in fact: any vehicle) before buying but that doesn't matter now.
Fuel economy is ok - 40L to Abuja with air-conditioning. You can see your fuel consumption information on the dash (Instantaneous and average). Most important rule is "Take care of your car n it'll take care of you".
Since you've had a CEL on since you had it i'll suggest that you get an OBD II scanner to scan the vehicle (your mechanic should have one), let me have the codes the scanner returns. It's pretty important that you get that done soon preferably before you fix anything. In the event that you can't get one pretty soon, go ahead and replace the ignition coil - your mechanic should be able to manually isolate the misfiring cylinder if he doesn't have a scanner.
Let's know how things go.

There's a lot more to know about the car, send me an email, will give u my cell no. kamikazee0 at gmail dot com
P.S What model year is it?
Is it a 2.9 or T6?

Cheers
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by eyoiba(m): 6:39pm On Dec 23, 2010
Thanks Kamekazee. My model is T6. I will surely send you an e-mail.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 23, 2010
Go and buy a toyota engine and pu inside,thats the only way
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by sultaan(m): 9:05pm On Dec 23, 2010
You've got something on your hand there.
What type of engine oil are you using and how it the level? I'm asking because of your turbo(weakest spot)

You should know you bought a cars with unknown problem, check engine light means check you engine for malfunction.
You shouldn't do anthing until you get the codes.
But since you changed plugs already, make sure its the correct type(you should know better than your mech) by checking for part number on web.

It should be an easy fix if its just emissionproblem.
Culprit is spark plugs(foul), ignition coil, O2 sensor, or dirty injector.

i'm not sure if your car will display average mpg but check your display, it might be close to normal.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by Nobody: 12:01am On Nov 23, 2011
olas2u:

Go and buy a toyota engine and pu inside,thats the only way

I'm aware this is an old thread, but I just couldn't help commenting here. This is the very kind of ignorance that plagues the Nigerian Automobile Industry.

How would removing the 2,9 I6 Biturbo and replacing it with the engine and transmission from a Toyota help? And would you call that a cost-effective solution? Your comment here is borderline ret[i]a[/i]rded.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by kuntash: 6:31am On Nov 23, 2011
^^^^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin

Siena where did you root out this old post, lol
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 23, 2011
kuntash:

^^^^^ grin grin grin grin grin grin
Siena where did you root out this old post, lol

It appeared at the bottom of a page I responded on, hehehe.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 23, 2011
Siena:

I'm aware this is an old thread, but I just couldn't help commenting here. This is the very kind of ignorance that plagues the Nigerian Automobile Industry.

How would removing the 2,9 I6 Biturbo and replacing it with the engine and transmission from a Toyota help? And would you call that a cost-effective solution? Your comment here is borderline ret[i]a[/i]rded.

That is what i saw some people doing in Nigeria.And it worked out well for them in saving fuel cost.if you have not seen it before ,then say you have not .Are you not a car dealer.you should have come across it before.
Re: My Volvo S80 Is Consuming Fuel At A High Rate by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 23, 2011
olas2u:

That is what i saw some people doing in Nigeria.And it worked out well for them in saving fuel cost.if you have not seen it before ,then say you have not .Are you not a car dealer.you should have come across it before.

You've seen a Volvo S80 T6 downgraded to a Toyota engine and transmission? Saving fuel costs?? And how much was paid out for this downgrade? The best way to save fuel is to buy a car with an engine that suits your budget. Next you'll be advising the owner of a Range Rover Sport to replace the 5,0 Supercharged V8 to install a 4 cylinder Toyota Camry engine to save fuel, and cure a misfire.

It's best to rectify faults in a car, rather than compound issues by a cross-manufacturer engine and transmission transplant. It makes no sense whatsoever.

(1) (Reply)

Toyota Ws Transmission Fluid From Usa / My Engine Goes Off When A/C Is Switched On / Mercedes Benz C240 4matic 2004model Versus Honda Accord 2008model

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.