Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:23 AM

My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step (11750 Views)

My Pepper Planting Challenge / 30k Twice A Week From My Pepper Farm / Pictorial Details Of A Poultry Farm Project In Lagos State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 10:53pm On Mar 06, 2020
After reading up from Okoroemeka and Ogbongenet and from others is time to go practical.

I will be posting pictures chronologically of what I have done so far before creating these tread and updated pictures to show progress of Work.

Job done so far ( I used opv pepper seed from Igede people in Benue and Ajah people from Benin Republic )

1. Burn fire of the area ( Highly recommended by Okoroemeka ) to be used for the nursery

2 Likes

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:03pm On Mar 06, 2020
2. Pilling of the left burn over
3. Preparation of the portion/spot that was burnt by using hoe to till the spot so it can mix with sand very well.
4. Using hand to pick up debris on the tilled spot for smooth surface
5. Forming bed from the portion

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by Osasnidas(m): 11:07pm On Mar 06, 2020
Happy to learn
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by chatinent: 11:13pm On Mar 06, 2020
Following sir..
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:23pm On Mar 06, 2020
6. Now the real work starts ..... I did the Nursery broadcasting in the evening doing the following ( I did the broadcasting on the 9th of Feb 2020 )

A. I used water to damp the nursery bed to make it wet and to cool the ground off

B. I used rake to further clear it off debris

C. Then I broadcasted (I used 2 beds I applied dried chicken waste on 1st bed and the 2nd bed just the soil to see if there will be any significant difference or damage)

D. Then the broadcasting ( the bed with manure I I used drip method for the broadcast just few lines)

3 Likes

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:29pm On Mar 06, 2020
7. Covering with palm frod and wetting again

Update of the result will be posted tomorrow by Gods grace

1 Like

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 07, 2020
Good work...

More grease to your elbow...
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by Larwin(m): 8:55am On Mar 07, 2020
Nice,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by jidestroud(m): 10:33am On Mar 07, 2020
Good one. I'm here to learn wink
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:33am On Mar 07, 2020
jidestroud:
Good one. I'm here to learn wink

@Jidestroud where have you been. Thanks for your mentorship. Your wasapp line doesn't work again.
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:45am On Mar 07, 2020
I promise posting the result of the nursed pepper today here they are. This is after 8 days.

I did the following
A. Wetting every 2 days but discretion is needed always make sure your bed is not dried while the palm frod is still directly covered on the pepper. You can raise d palm frod to find out.

B. After the 8 days I carefully removed all the palm frod I then build a tent over the tender a pepper seedlings while still making use of the old palm frod together with new ones for pfor proper shading

C. Wetting was still done every 2 days with watering can but sometimes it can b a day interval depending on the soil dryness

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by jidestroud(m): 11:55am On Mar 07, 2020
veggieman2be:

@Jidestroud where have you been. Thanks for your mentorship. Your wasapp line doesn't work again.

I've been so preoccupied with series of farm activities; from my goats farming to kuroiler monthly production at 4weeks, to my newly foreign turkey projects. grin cool

The whatsapp line has been deactivated jare. Got loads of people taking advantage of the line. Also stopped people from coming over, learnt the hard way cry cry. Nevertheless, I'm still very much in the tomato business. Setting up one around Mowo - Ikoga soonest.

I'm here to learn from you jare. Best wishes.

6 Likes

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 12:07pm On Mar 07, 2020
The pepper as at today...... The 2 beds. The one without manure is fuller while the one with manure looks scanty but no damage they all came out well

Okoroemeka advised moving them to SGM or pure water nylon after 21 - 26 days. But mine is almost a month yet to move because of another farm am managing, I will be moving them/transplantating on Monday.

1 Like

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 12:20pm On Mar 07, 2020
quote author=jidestroud post=87237477]

I've been so preoccupied with series of farm activities; from my goats farming to kuroiler monthly production at 4weeks, to my newly foreign turkey projects. grin cool

The whatsapp line has been deactivated jare. Got loads of people taking advantage of the line. Also stopped people from coming over, learnt the hard way cry cry. Nevertheless, I'm still very much in the tomato business. Setting up one around Mowo - Ikoga soonest.

[/quote]

Good one bro knowing you moving forward. How do we reconnect add me back on your new line I want to ask some questions on tomatoes because the last one I did plantinum 701 was doing fine but suddenly after fruiting the leaves started drying off.
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 12:27pm On Mar 07, 2020
@Okoroemeka and @Ogbongenet your input will be appreciated I planned using agrited chicken manure all through the harvest by Gods Grace. What treatment can I use since am using opv/ hairloom seed was my expected ROI if I do 1000 stands.

Thanks
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by ikelords(m): 3:12pm On Mar 07, 2020
veggieman2be:
@Okoroemeka and @Ogbongenet your input will be appreciated I planned using agrited chicken manure all through the harvest by Gods Grace. What treatment can I use since am using opv/ hairloom seed was my expected ROI if I do 1000 stands.

Thanks
you are doing well brother.. Keep it up
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:38pm On Mar 09, 2020
Stay tuned for

1. Making of heap and spacing

2. Transplanting

But meanwhile am confused..... Some suggested I

I. Transplant on heap that the height is Ok, the pepper is just a month

II. Some say I should transplant on pure water nylon 1st to avoid shock that will kill most and also that the heat is too much

III. While others say I should still leave them on the bed till end of March then I can transfer them to the bed

Which should I follow also what treatment and fertilization program should I follow should I change my mind from using Agrited chicken waste ( Am using dried one must I compost it before using)

The pix as at today

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by okoroemeka(m): 1:22am On Mar 10, 2020
veggieman2be:
Stay tuned for

1. Making of heap and spacing

2. Transplanting

But meanwhile am confused..... Some suggested I

I. Transplant on heap that the height is Ok, the pepper is just a month

II. Some say I should transplant on pure water nylon 1st to avoid shock that will kill most and also that the heat is too much

III. While others say I should still leave them on the bed till end of March then I can transfer them to the bed

Which should I follow also what treatment and fertilization program should I follow should I change my mind from using Agrited chicken waste ( Am using dried one must I compost it before using)

The pix as at today
that nursery is far too congested,problems may start to manifest,if you are busy and cannot organize for single grow bags , prepare another area were the crops can be thinned and transplanted out well spaced so they can continue to grow,but the best solution is to use single grow bags it saves a lot of mortality by transplant shock and excess heat, even if it's two plants by bag as we did with our eggplant nursery,we used ordinary black nylon used by market women there's a size that is same with normal grow bags,just get those use workers and fill it with soil mixed with manure,it will be added expenses but you will be grateful in the end

2 Likes

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 1:30pm On Mar 10, 2020
okoroemeka:
that nursery is far too congested,problems may start to manifest,if you are busy and cannot organize for single grow bags , prepare another area were the crops can be thinned and transplanted out well spaced so they can continue to grow,but the best solution is to use single grow bags it saves a lot of mortality by transplant shock and excess heat, even if it's two plants by bag as we did with our eggplant nursery,we used ordinary black nylon used by market women there's a size that is same with normal grow bags,just get those use workers and fill it with soil mixed with manure,it will be added expenses but you will be grateful in the end

Thanks boss. I have filled about 250 pure water sachet with sand but without manure I will fill another set with manure and transplant in twos per bag.

Can I prune pepper while on the heap or must it be done on single grow bags

1 Like

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by okoroemeka(m): 8:33pm On Mar 10, 2020
veggieman2be:

Thanks boss. I have filled about 250 pure water sachet with sand but without manure I will fill another set with manure and transplant in twos per bag.

after you put them into single grow bags ,let them settle for at least 1 week before topping it

1 Like

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 12:42am On Mar 11, 2020
jidestroud:

I want to learn tomatoes how can you put me through. The first one I did platinum yielded massively I did it between Aug and November but the leave started dying harvested some tomatoes anyways.

I even created a trend for it but due to busy schedule I could not continue with update

I will appreciate your help.

1 Like

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 2:50pm On Mar 13, 2020
veggieman2be:

After much deliberation I finally took a decision.

I decided to transplant on the about 250 sachets without manure I had already.

Before you transplant to make the whole process easy do the following

I. Wet the nursery nylon already with the sand. After transplanting you don't have to wet again it also makes transplanting easy

II. Use your finger or stick that is not too tiny maybe the thickness of your finger to form hole at the middle of the nylon where you will deep the seedlings into and cover

I will post the practical pix later.

These are pix of the transplanted pepper and the difference between the two beds.

The bed with manure have broader leaves compared with the one without manure.

Manure all the way no contest at all. I finally see the work of manure
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by MDDarah84(m): 5:54pm On Mar 13, 2020
veggieman2be:

After much deliberation I finally took a decision.

I decided to transplant on the about 250 sachets without manure I had already.

Before you transplant to make the whole process easy do the following

I. Wet the nursery nylon already with the sand. After transplanting you don't have to wet again it also makes transplanting easy

II. Use your finger or stick that is not too tiny maybe the thickness of your finger to form hole at the middle of the nylon where you will deep the seedlings into and cover

I will post the practical pix later.

These are pix of the transplanted pepper and the difference between the two beds.

The bed with manure have broader leaves compared with the one without manure.

Manure all the way no contest at all. I finally see the work of manure

You could have just transplanted them to heaps.You are already stressing the plants and yourself by with the nursery.My experience in pepper farming is subsistence but I have full blown Benue pepper farmers around my factory.Heap and transplant, please

1 Like

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:27pm On Mar 13, 2020
MDDarah84:

You could have just transplanted them to heaps.You are already stressing the plants and yourself by with the nursery.My experience in pepper farming is subsistence but I have full blown Benue pepper farmers around my factory.Heap and transplant, please

Thanks.

The rain is not yet defined planting on heap will require me wetting all plant in all d heap in a vast portion of land plus the heat that now na real die.

Buy if in a nylon you will manage it well in a small portion with adequate water. They will continue their growth there, I will have the luxury to transplant anytime I want
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by officialfestus(m): 6:27am On Mar 14, 2020
Following
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 8:19pm On Mar 16, 2020
Pepper with manure and without manure.

The bed with manure have broader leaves while the one without manure have thin leaves;;

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 8:22pm On Mar 16, 2020
The pictures are not displaying

Pruning undisputed...... The Champ!

I pruned some pepper while on bed. I did it on both beds. I saw it form another head of Y making two Y or two heads on a single plant while the remaining plants still have just 1 head or Y, they were also shorter and ticker.

But the one with manure is the best #Stronger #Thicker #Shorter. Manure all the way!

still transplanting on pure water nylon

Heap making have also started today.

May Jehovah bless my hustle

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:54am On Mar 17, 2020
Update on sand sorting mixed with manure also more pure water sachet

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by Tohpeh(m): 8:40pm On Mar 17, 2020
Mehn! This is work. Filling into pure water sachet will be stress not to talk of transferring on heap.

Why not transplant straight to heap from bed nursery?
Any thing I need to know please?

1 Like

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by Tohpeh(m): 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2020
Please I would also like to get that exact portion you pruned.
Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:02pm On Mar 17, 2020
Tohpeh:
Mehn! This is work. Filling into pure water sachet will be stress not to talk of transferring on heap.

Why not transplant straight to heap from bed nursery?
Any thing I need to know please?

Thanks for the concern bro.
Some1 has expressed this concern as well, check my post above to see the reason for that.
But honestly is fun doing it. No stress at all

3 Likes

Re: My Pepper Farm Project - Step By Step by veggieman2be(m): 11:08pm On Mar 17, 2020
Tohpeh:
Please I would also like to get that exact portion you pruned.

Just use your fingers and pinch off the top node or head. It will start forming other nodes or heads (Y)

The area to pinch off

I think I got this pix from ogbongenet thread on pepper that talked about pruning.

1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sabo Nanono Endorses Nigeria Young Farmers Network (Photos) / Farming Or Relocating Abroad / Nigeria Heading For Famine Due To Boko Haram Killings — Kaduna Farmers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.