Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,528 members, 7,823,303 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! (101199 Views)

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Robot Demoted And Fired At A Supermarket In UK After A Week Of Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by KLand(m): 3:46pm On Mar 07, 2020
Sad!
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 3:47pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

You well? Did I quote you at any point? undecided
Na question I ask
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 3:48pm On Mar 07, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Took a look at that course and nearly fell asleep... Jesus! One gotta have d brains and passion for that. Which simpler version that pays can a girl like me acquire?
Lol...Programming is for those with passion. You could look at Quality Assurance or venture into pure Products management or even Product design, if you don't have the passion to write code.

These fields are still classified as tech and depending on your experience and skillset, you can earn significantly decent wages (150-1,000,000+ net monthly depending on your skillset and experience)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by stubbornman(m): 3:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
iamJ:
God so na wishful thinking you use they argue since cheesy

My stomach oooooooo

Age dropping your sister implies that u still stay with your patents, next time incase u want to form savage remember grin

You're a hairy cunt....like someone said Ashawo beer palour mentality nah wetin you dey use argue.... to get rich go be very big deal for people like you because you no go ever believe am...

Btw I may not be earning 750k but I have a great job and comfortably stay alone and can take care of you till you find a new job!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by justli: 3:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
newinventions:

This guy cracked me up. So you never see person dey earn 1m every month for naija.

Go ExxonMobil you go see person wey dey earn more than 1m monthly.

Nigerians with poverty mentality.

Nigeria with poverty mentality and you were calling Exxon Mobil. You just proved the guy's point...

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:50pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

I really think you're clowning for real...

You mean I'm name dropping the company? Andela? A multi million dollar company? Don't tell me you don't know Andela? Or what services are you talking about? I now find this funny actually grin

as usual lies keep creeping out

Andela pays equal cheesy no racism in an America company cheesy cheesy cheesy father Christmas is real

This story is too funny abeg, there are so many articles that andela under pays

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 07, 2020
Mrshape:
mine: I was not fired but I loss the job because of let me say greediness on my part.
I am a mathematics teacher I do private lessons,
So this woman called me for lesson, I billed her 100K per month (three times a week one hour thirty minutes each)

She begged for #60,000 I said no my last is 80K
(i don't know the spirit that was speaking on my behalf because I know that was not me, maybe the spirit of one of those motivational speakers saying never settle for less)

Because my current lessons are far below her offer at that time.

When I reach house the regret I have, I have never had that in my life, well, it was a lesson that helped me in future negotiations

I am not laughing at your situation but the bolded is too funny (spirit motivational speakers etc)
cheesy
Good life ahead

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 3:51pm On Mar 07, 2020
stubbornman:

You're a hairy cunt....like someone said Ashawo beer palour mentality nah wetin you dey use argue.... to get rich go be very big deal for people like you because you no go ever believe am...

Btw I may not be earning 750k but I have a great job and comfortably stay alone and can take care of you till you find a new job!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:
Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year March, they have the highest number of software developers I'm Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

They keep on employing so many software engineer with time the engineer become more than the available job, I saw it coming but I don't know what the board was thinking

2. How did the firing process happen?
We have a global (online) meeting which people are asked not to miss, I was not even listening very well to what they are saying, the president said there are more developer than engagement to they have to let some people go, a mail was sent to all impacted people and I discovered what has just happened

Almost 400 people has been fired across Africa

3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

The company is actually a great one, they brought in pychologist to speak with us, bring in different recruiter, and other stuff, most importantly the payoff was reasonable that I can afford a Mac laptop of almost half-a-million

Luckily for me I got another reasonable job in less than 3 weeks of been retrenched

It was Andela that fired up to 400 junior developers last year. Around Oct, I got invited for an interview as software engineer (mobile) but having heard that 400 developers were laid off, I just didn't join the meeting via zoom.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2020
mayor10:
Too many broke inclined people on nairaland..There are companies paying millions to remote workers.
IT is the real deal..I'm glad I studied engineering anyways.

Yeh, it was during my nysc days, I was so sure of being retained at my company but was surprised when the boss told me they would have loved to retain me but the workload has reduced and thus my services will no longer be needed after nysc.I wasn't really sondevastated but I was pained. But like God does his magic , I got a job willing to pay x3 of what I was to earn in less than 1 week.

There is always light at the end of the tunnel

You guys keep on saying there are remote companies that pay such high amount. Name such companies now, haba!!

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by opedaydydx9(m): 3:52pm On Mar 07, 2020
helinues:
The only job I ever applied for, I resigned 2 months after..

I no fit come and kill myself for one boss
lol I did resign from a job after two months ,I was called back but the money they are offering is low so I rejected the offer again ....see happiness is key

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by ThierryJay: 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2020
iamJ:
nope it's you that is following girls as if they are religious programs that you need daily updates on

Over 25 girls how many have u dated?

0 the same value of stubbornness which is ironically your moniker cheesy

You know, it's not a crime to admit you've been properly schooled and withdraw from your pointless arguments. At least that shows that you've still retained some smartness to know when to back down.

As it is now, you are doing a wonderful job of disgracing yourself beyond epic proportions. When a lot of people see your moniker, IamJ, what will come to mind is, there goes one of the dumb ones.

Please learn how to argue intelligently.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by PrinceDangana(m): 3:53pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year, few days after finishing my NYSC, they have the highest number of software developers in Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

They keep on employing so many software engineer with time the engineer become more than the available job, I saw it coming but I don't know what the board was thinking

We have a global (online) meeting which people are asked not to miss, I was not even listening very well to what they are saying, the president said there are more developer than engagement to they have to let some people go, a mail was sent to all impacted people and I discovered what has just happened

3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

The company is actually a great one, they brought in pychologist to speak with us, bring in different recruiter, and other stuff, most importantly the payoff was reasonable that I can afford a Mac laptop of almost half-a-million

Luckily for me I got another reasonable job in less than 3 weeks of been retrenched

I always laugh when people complain there is no job in Nigeria, less than 5 month after leaving my previous company I have turned down almost 4 other offers some even paying than my current one

I so much saw the retrenchment coming that I once created a similar thread as this https://www.nairaland.com/5352267/why-how-loose-last-job
I was enjoying ur write up until i came to the last paragraph and i lost interest in what u posted,,the fact dat it work for u doesnt mean it will work for everybody,,beside ur field is always different and attractive,, so why are comparing urself to others,,,there is no job in Nigeria mr man,,how many people are employed in your family....take ur time fa..

12 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by SweetCunt97(f): 3:55pm On Mar 07, 2020
Stallion93:
Na true, But d way girls dey scam these days dey fear me.
Why scam when u can buy vagina sweetener and fvck your way to Silicon valley? grin
So a girl can't earn that high an amount? Pls spare us, we have same brain capacity
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 3:55pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

No let poverty wound you. Devs in Nigeria are earning that much and higher in Nigeria.

I am talking of peeps in their 20s.
Devs working in which companies nah. It is one thing to say there are Devs earning that much and higher, it is another thing to say the companies these Devs work for.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
stubbornman:

optimism is like sleepwalking

Ure aware of the damage you are causing but as long as nothing bad has happened yet, hope is alive

Life doesn't send you, writing next big businessman means nothing

God will not provide any job for you, ure not the only one, fighting wouldn't make the OP connect you to the bridge that will link your reality to your dream

Wake up and get out of my mention bike
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 3:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
newinventions:

This guy cracked me up. So you never see person dey earn 1m every month for naija.

Go ExxonMobil you go see person wey dey earn more than 1m monthly.

Nigerians with poverty mentality.
I once heard some women arguing in the market sometime last year that what exactly is someone being paid 200k monthly do. Perhaps someone mentioned he or she earns that amount to them and they didn’t believe.

In my mind I was in shock! When my first full-time job after NYSC offered me well over that monthly with other lump sums in some specific months when I was just 24 and it wasn’t even oil and gas or IT coy.

People are ignorant in this country.

I once told someone that I was being paid 200k annually by one of these IOCs as scholarship as an undergraduate he didn’t believe.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by MrDebonair: 3:57pm On Mar 07, 2020
Don't see why people find it hard to believe op was on 750k per calendar month. What of those on over 1.9 mill per month.

Power to get wealth is part of the covenant.

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by iamJ(m): 3:58pm On Mar 07, 2020
ThierryJay:

You know, it's not a crime to admit you've been properly schooled and withdraw from your pointless arguments. At least that shows that you've still retained some smartness to know when to back down.

As it is now, you are doing a wonderful job of disgracing yourself beyond epic proportions. When a lot of people see your moniker, IamJ, what will come to mind is, there goes one of the dumb ones.

Please learn how to argue intelligently.

I woke up this morning

And my biggest problem was what strangers think of me

Is life that f'ed up now?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2020
angelfallz:

Devs working in which companies nah. It is one thing to say there are Devs earning that much and higher, it is another thing to say the companies these Devs work for.
I should be listing companies where these devs work? undecided

Your google don spoil? undecided

15 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2020
Guest911:

Good for you, I still work for that company as a senior tech lead and there’s been another recent lay off hope you heard. Well I’m leaving the company this year though almost everyone I know is leaving.
I know about the company. On what ground are laying off this time around?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by SoNature(m): 3:59pm On Mar 07, 2020
SoliBayNG:

Get an unlimited plan....part of your overhead.

Network and price
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 4:00pm On Mar 07, 2020
mayor10:

Oya repeat after me.
Oh Lord my father, rewrite my story.

Bankers don't earn that much sef, you only earn that much as an IT personnel, consultant or maybe a business developer..my friend who's just 23 earns 1.3million and still has remote jobs.he's already a senior developer at that age.

What does the friend do exactly, who does he work for and ago does he work with?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by BIODAVY(m): 4:01pm On Mar 07, 2020
Add more to what you already know. Understand what you don't know. Seek to improve your knowledge and understanding of new things to remain relevant. Keep on learning, relearning and unlearning as long as you live on the face of the earth. Be knowledgeable.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 4:02pm On Mar 07, 2020
iamJ:
as usual lies keep creeping out

Andela pays equal cheesy no racism in an America company cheesy cheesy cheesy father Christmas is real

This story is too funny abeg, there are so many articles that andela under pays
What exactly are you on and about iamj? You've been exposed as ignorant and schooled today...

You're completely ignorant and proudly displaying it. There's no need running around the thread like a lunatic making baseless, senseless and pointless arguments.

It's better you stick to ashewo matters (ironically, isn't even your forte but atleast logic, exposure and common sense is really not needed).

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 4:03pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

I should be listing companies where these devs work? undecided

Your google don spoil? undecided

My Google never spoil, but you're the one making arguments, so back it up.
What exactly do these devs do, which company do these Devs for?

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by DOZTECH: 4:03pm On Mar 07, 2020
The only time I feel I am sacked from work is when I lack money. Life of a self employed.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by CyberWolf: 4:03pm On Mar 07, 2020
Flier:
Dont hurt yourself she’s probably lying,they don’t pay 750k to learner monthly
I T guys that earn such amount monthly works with bank not a learner like this poster
That’s a little above $2k so it’s not a lie. Most entry level IT jobs abroad pay more than that self and from OP’s post, she is in tech industry and I believe she probably works remote or a foreign tech company based in Naija. Even some pizza delivery agents, mechanics, cleaners and bar tenders earn as much in western countries.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by teepain: 4:04pm On Mar 07, 2020
lolybaby:
GOD PLEASE HAVE YOUR WAY IN ME O,I REALLY NEED GOOD JOB AND WELL PAID JOB.# TIRED OF SLEEPING AND WAKE NIGLTD

Please, resign from that Sleeping & Waking Nig. LTD.

Right where you are, with whatever little resource you have, start something, no matter how small.

Sometimes, you get your big breaks from doing petty things.

David didn't learn the art of warfare and leadership while sleeping. He learnt the skills while tending to his father's flock in the jungle. To save his father's flock, he had battled a lion so when the time to face Goliath came, he was fully prepared. No one should be surprised that God anointed him King.

Stay blessed.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 4:04pm On Mar 07, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year, few days after finishing my NYSC, they have the highest number of software developers in Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

I always laugh when people complain there is no job in Nigeria, less than 5 month after leaving my previous company I have turned down almost 4 other offers some even paying than my current one

I so much saw the retrenchment coming that I once created a similar thread as this https://www.nairaland.com/5352267/why-how-loose-last-job

ANDELA
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by cooltola(m): 4:05pm On Mar 07, 2020
There is nothing wrong for someone working for a company. There is a myth that working for a company is bad and starting your own business or working for yourself is good. I have seen some people who have started a business with nothing to show for it and have seen some people who work for someone or a company with nothing to show for it. Do your homework by studying the market, the customers and the environment before venturing out. A business or hustle that works in Oshodi might not work in Ibadan. A business that Emeka is successful at might not work Femi or vice versa.
Always put God first

Never put all your eggs in one basket and always try something new that can pay you in the long run. The job market is always changing but there are constant no matter how bad the economy which are transport business , housing and the need for foods and information.

Since we live in the internet age, it is not a bad idea for one to learn more on computer programs or IT so you can keep yourself updated.

Never put your business into the hands of friends or family. There is no family in business because they do not care about your sacrifices or what it takes to run a business, instead employ a qualified person who will increase the net worth of your business.

Keep your business establishment clean and odorless. No one wants to come to dirty environment.

Never mixes business acquaintance or customers as your personal friends- Your female/male customer are not your girlfriend or boyfriend

Always think ahead of the curve by looking for way to eliminate waste-e.g. if your top customers happens to around 4-8am, you want to be there at 330am and live close to the area of your business whether there is traffic or not . It does not make sense that you live 1.5 hour away from business location because of traffic. You will lose money, time , and sanity

Always take care of your equipment that fetches you money e.g if you drive for uber, service your car regularly will save your money, and keep your car running for a long time.

Working for a very pay job means you set high standard for yourself, there are many qualified people who want your spot in the company- You do not to give room for anyone to get sack you. You do not come late for work, do your work very well and never take anything for granted

If it happens that you know that your boss or employer is at a wedding party or any social event with you, try your best never to outshine your boss at any event because tomorrow might be another story especially if the job is high paying.

Just because your job pay very well does not mean it going to last, always have a backup plan, save your money and try to live according to your means. You do not want to be the person that made a lot of money in 2020s and now you barely can afford to rent a self contain

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by deltateam: 4:05pm On Mar 07, 2020
Mariangeles:

#750k is not that big an amount to be unbelievable.

He's speaking from his own experience. 70% of graduate hardly receive above #100k

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (29) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers / Salary Range Of Microfinance Bank Workers / Sacked Chicken Republic Dancers At A University In Cyprus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.