Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,237 members, 7,860,509 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:57 AM

How Do I Protect My Idea. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Do I Protect My Idea. (1211 Views)

My Idea Plus Your Developer Skill = Huge Money / This Idea Is Revolutionary / App Idea For Good Cash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Protect My Idea. by seanblaise(m): 3:42pm On Mar 08, 2020
Good afternoon guys, I have a very viable business idea i want to launch. It is basically an IT business. I am not an IT person so I will require the services of a programmer. The problem here is that I don't want my IDEA to be stolen by whoever I hire. How do I explain the concept of this business to whoever I will hire and also protect the idea.
Please I need intelligent advice.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:48pm On Mar 08, 2020
You can't patent an idea. Besides ideas are nothing and execution is everything if you think your idea is innovational then you should learn to code by yourself and implement it.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by seanblaise(m): 3:51pm On Mar 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:
You can't patent an idea. Besides ideas are nothing and execution is everything if you think your idea is innovational then you should learn to code by yourself and implement it.
You mean there is no way to protect an IDEA?. How then do innovative individuals who don't know coding create thriving businesses?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by chordrylateral(m): 3:53pm On Mar 08, 2020
Learn coding and develop it yourself...you can even make it your first project.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by Mannyemmy(m): 3:54pm On Mar 08, 2020
seanblaise:
Good afternoon guys, I have a very viable business idea i want to launch. It is basically an IT business. I am not an IT person so I will require the services of a programmer. The problem here is that I don't want my IDEA to be stolen by whoever I hire. How do I explain the concept of this business to whoever I will hire and also protect the idea.
I'm a business consultant and planner and as well as a software developer.
Chat me up on WhatsApp let's discuss
https:///2347080126206
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by tensazangetsu20(m): 3:56pm On Mar 08, 2020
seanblaise:

You mean there is no way to protect an IDEA?. How then do innovative individuals who don't know coding create thriving businesses?
They get a technical co founder. That's what a CTO does. Some companies also give their first set of employees equity (part ownership in the company). It's going to be really hard to convince a good developer to work with you in Nigeria a good one I am not talking of mediocres. The most amazing developers we have here either freelance, work in top companies here in Nigeria or work remotely for startups abroad. Goodluck convincing one to abandon all that for the uncertainty of a startup.

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by Joevics(m): 3:58pm On Mar 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

They get a technical co founder. That's what a CTO does.
This is your best shot if you are scared.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by resosdigital(m): 4:02pm On Mar 08, 2020
seanblaise:

I don't understand what you mean by "protect an idea". Believe me no matter how revolutionary your idea is, you are not the first to think of it or the only one thinking about it.

What matters is not the idea but the execution. So instead of wasting time looking for ways to protect the idea, you should rather channel your resources to making it a reality.

Some years back, I had an idea that I thought was fresh and new in Nigeria only to discover that some people were already doing something similar. I still went ahead to develop my product.

Remember, the sky will always remain big enough for two birds to fly without colliding.

P.S I am a programmer and can help you out of you decide to push through with your idea.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by Birniwa(m): 4:05pm On Mar 08, 2020
1. There's what we call a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) in software development. So, get like 25% of the funds you think it will cost to build the idea then ask your developer to build an MVP of the idea. MVP is the most basic features of the solution you're trying to build. This means that you'll only continue building the software after evaluating that it's really viable to provide solution in the long run.

However, the developer needs to sign another document we call Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which literally prevents the developer from discussing about your idea or the software he's building elsewhere.

2. The second way of doing this is to get a developer you can trust and ask him to be part of the business, in other words; the co-founder of your business. Doing it this way, will force the developer to keep all information confidential until completion of the development. Another advantage of this is that, you won't pay any money to the developer which mostly tends to be huge amount of Naira because, the developer renders that service as part of him being a co-founder.

If you'd ask me for a candid advice, I'll suggest that you go with the second option because surveys show that companies started by one entity most likely tend to fail compared to those started by two or three parties.

PS

If your idea centers around building a mobile app (Android), I can provide a professional advice or be part of it technically; from development to marketing. Do not hesitate to contact me for more info.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by seanblaise(m): 4:05pm On Mar 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

They get a technical co founder. That's what a CTO does. Some companies also give their first set of employees equity (part ownership in the company). It's going to be really hard to convince a good developer to work with you in Nigeria a good one I am not talking of mediocres. The most amazing developers we have here either freelance, work in top companies here in Nigeria or work remotely for startups abroad. Goodluck convincing one to abandon all that for the uncertainty of a startup.
Thanks for the idea. It seems you are well grounded in things like this. Are you a developer?
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:08pm On Mar 08, 2020
seanblaise:

Thanks for the idea. It seems you are well grounded in things like this. Are you a developer?
Presently learning to be one. Started with html and css and presently in bootstrap. Want to learn all front end technologies then pickup a low level language preferably Java or C sharp.

But like you I own a startup and trust me if there's remotely anything with technology you have to implement it's best to learn and do it yourself O. Paying someone outside to write your code won't work. If it's a website or an app it's has to be regularly updated and all how will you do that?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by seanblaise(m): 4:12pm On Mar 08, 2020
Birniwa:
1. There's what we call a Minimum Viable Product (MVP) in software development. So, get like 25% of the funds you think it will cost to build the idea then ask your developer to build an MVP of the idea. MVP is the most basic features of the solution you're trying to build. This means that you'll only continue building the software after evaluating that it's really viable to provide solution in the long run.

However, the developer needs to sign another document we call Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which literally prevents the developer from discussing about your idea or the software he's building elsewhere.

2. The second way of doing this is to get a developer you can trust and ask him to be part of the business, in other words; the co-founder of your business. Doing it this way, will force the developer to keep all information confidential until completion of the development. Another advantage of this is that, you won't pay any money to the developer which mostly tends to be huge amount of Naira because, the developer renders that service as part of him being a co-founder.

If you'd ask me for a candid advice, I'll suggest that you go with the second option because surveys show that companies started by one entity most likely tend to fail compared to those started by two or three parties.
This is sound. I am not afraid of having a co-founder. Infact, having a co-founder is really important to me. I believe this idea I have will one day make a great change in the way we do business in Nigeria. With the vision I have about this, very big financial institutions will want to be part of this. Are you a developer?
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by seanblaise(m): 4:16pm On Mar 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Presently learning to be one. Started with html and css and presently in bootstrap. Want to learn all front end technologies then pickup a low level language preferably Java or C sharp.

But like you I own a startup and trust me if there's remotely anything with technology you have to implement it's best to learn and do it yourself O. Paying someone outside to write your code won't work. If it's a website or an app it's has to be regularly updated and all how will you do that?
Ideally, I will need a co-founder who has vast experience in web development. He will have a certain equity in the company. Because its a serious financial issue which requires a lot of monetary transactions, such a person needs to own part of the business to ensure confidentiality!
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:20pm On Mar 08, 2020
seanblaise:

Ideally, I will need a co-founder who has vast experience in web development. He will have a certain equity in the company. Because its a serious financial issue which requires a lot of monetary transactions, such a person needs to own part of the business to ensure confidentiality!
Alright then but how does he get paid or will this developer work for free? I assume you are looking for someone who knows their stuff and not some mediocres.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by Birniwa(m): 4:26pm On Mar 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

I understand that you're just learning to code and haven't yet touched other general purpose programming languages like that latter ones you mentioned above. As a point of correction, Java and C# are not really low-level languages, in fact, they're what you categorise as high-level programming languages mostly because of their object-oriented features, natural language like syntax and strong abstraction.

Low-level languages however, are those languages that are closely related to computers hardware which means, they provide low abstraction. Example of these languages are Machine Code or Assembly Language.

My 2 cents, thank you.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by Birniwa(m): 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2020
seanblaise:

This is sound. I am not afraid of having a co-founder. Infact, having a co-founder is really important to me. I believe this idea I have will one day make a great change in the way we do business in Nigeria. With the vision I have about this, very big financial institutions will want to be part of this. Are you a developer?

Yes I'm, an Android developer.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by tensazangetsu20(m): 4:29pm On Mar 08, 2020
Birniwa:

I understand that you're just learning to code and haven't yet touched other general purpose programming languages like that latter ones you mentioned above. As a point of correction, Java and C# are not really low-level languages, in fact, they're what you categorise as high-level programming languages mostly because of their object-oriented features, natural language like syntax and strong abstraction.

Low-level languages however, are those languages that are closely related to computers hardware which means, they provide low abstraction. Example of these languages are Machine Code or Assembly Language.

My 2 cents, thank you.

Thanks but I did some C programming in school and it was categorised as a low level language. I have absolutely no background in computer science so I am still learning everything from scratch with Harvard cs50 introduction to computer science.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by Birniwa(m): 4:35pm On Mar 08, 2020
tensazangetsu20:

Thanks but I did some C programming in school and it was categorised as a low level language. I have absolutely no background in computer science so I am still learning everything from scratch with Harvard cs50 introduction to computer science.

Sure, C is a low level programming language because it is what most developers use to have access to computers' hardware part such as writing drivers like VGA or sound driver.

However, the fact that you referred to Java and C# as low level languages is what I was trying to correct, they're actually high level programming languages for the reasons I mentioned in my previous answer.

Thank you.

PS
C and C# are entirely different programming languages.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:13pm On Mar 08, 2020
Birniwa:

Sure, C is a low level programming language because it is what most developers use to have access to computers' hardware part such as writing drivers like VGA or sound driver.

However, the fact that you referred to Java and C# as low level languages is what I was trying to correct, they're actually high level programming languages for the reasons I mentioned in my previous answer.

Thank you.

PS
C and C# are entirely different programming languages.
Thank you for taking your time to educate me. I am extremely grateful.

Thank you so much.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by seanblaise(m): 8:25am On Mar 10, 2020
Birniwa:

Yes I'm, an Android developer.
Can we chat privately? Kindly drop your whatsapp number and I will contact you soonest.
Re: How Do I Protect My Idea. by Raypawer(m): 11:00pm On Mar 10, 2020
You actually don't need to protect the idea, share it with others, you will get valuable feedback!

(1) (Reply)

Advice: Please Where Can I Learn Web Design In Awka, Anambra State? / Learn React In Pidgin! / Any Free Frontend Dev For Forex Website

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.