Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:03 AM

Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? (2234 Views)

Should I Tell My Friend About His Wife Or Play Dumb? / I’m Pregnant For My Sister's Brother-In-Law. I’m Scared To Tell My Sister / How Do I Tell My Parents I Have A Daughter? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by made2fit(f): 12:49pm On Mar 09, 2020
3 years ago, my husband and I bought a landed property, built and moved into our our home. All through the 9 months it took for us to buy and build, we kept the information to ourselves. We didn't inform our family. When it was time for us to move into the house, which was 60% completed then, I told my siblings about it. Their response and reactions were shocking. Instead of congratulating me, they reprimanded me that I was keeping secrets from them. Their grouse was that I didn't tell them I bought a land, didn't take them through the process of building, didn't even drop a hint in our Whatsapp group. They were acidic and bitter.

True, I was expecting a mild reprimand concerning why they were kept in the dark; but I was really unprepared for the backlash that was unleashed. On my own money! I was deeply hurt and I cried. My husband had to comfort me. Mind you, my siblings are all doing well. If they really wanted they can as well sacrifice and build their own homes. Anyway, we moved in. No one talked about it again. Everyone ignored me and my new house. It took a whole year before one of them came to visit. Another sister of mine, didn't even bother for a longer time, even though she visits the area around every now and then to see her in-law.

All that is behind us as time as healed all their "hurts". Everyone visits and everything is fine . Now, I bought another property. Only this time it is close to around my mum's vicinity. This property was a very good deal, couldn't ignore, and I intend to use it for commercial purpose. I intend to be as discreet as possible. But my fear is that if my mum find out from outsiders, or artisans, , she'll be deeply hurt. If I tell her, she"ll want me/ pressurize me to tell my siblings, which I do not want. I don't want anyone to kill my joy, as I'm unsure of their reactions. How do I go about this?

NB; I'm second of six siblings. I have not always been rich. In fact, I was the poorest. God opened the way for us about 6years ago.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by tripplephi: 12:53pm On Mar 09, 2020
made2fit:
3 years ago, my husband and I bought a landed property, built and moved into our our home. All through the 9 months it took for us to buy and build, we kept the information to ourselves. We didn't inform our family. When it was time for us to move into the house, which was 60% completed then, I told my siblings about it. Their response and reactions were shocking. Instead of congratulating me, they reprimanded me that I was keeping secrets from them. Their grouse was that I didn't tell them I bought a land, didn't take them through the process of building, didn't even drop a hint in our Whatsapp group. They were acidic and bitter.

True, I was expecting a mild reprimand concerning why they were kept in the dark; but I was really unprepared for the backlash that was unleashed. On my own money! I was deeply hurt and I cried. My husband had to comfort me. Mind you, my siblings are all doing well. If they really wanted they can as well sacrifice and build their own homes. Anyway, we moved in. No one talked about it again. Everyone ignored me and my new house. It took a whole year before one of them came to visit. Another sister of mine, didn't even bother for a longer time, even though she visits the area around every now and then to see her in-law.

All that is behind us as time as healed all their "hurts". Everyone visits and everything is fine . Now, I bought another property. Only this time it is close to around my mum's vicinity. This property was a very good deal, couldn't ignore, and I intend to use it for commercial purpose. I intend to be as discreet as possible. But my fear is that if my mum find out from outsiders, or artisans, , she'll be deeply hurt. If I tell her, she"ll want me/ pressurize me to tell my siblings, which I do not want. I don't want anyone to kill my joy, as I'm unsure of their reactions. How do I go about this?

NB; I'm second of six siblings. I have not always been rich. In fact, I was the poorest. God opened the way for us about 6years ago.

I suggest you should keep your business to yourself.

Since you are NOT moving in, they do not need to know. and whenever you visit the place, just tell them you were checking for someone.

You have a loving and concerned family BUT it may shock you to know that those who reprimanded you are also keeping things from you.

Families often always OVERRATE or UNDERRATE success.

You know how long it took you to heal, so kindly maintain your peace.

by the way... CONGRATS on your new acquisition.

12 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by CokeBar(f): 1:29pm On Mar 09, 2020
You are yet to say what the problem is...

What's the big deal if you tell your siblings or family that you're getting a property before you do so?

It depends on your family, if you're close to your siblings and you know they got your back, it is the least thing to worry about. If you're not (which I think is the case) then don't tell them.

I just hope you don't go around asking them about updates in their own lives while you keep yours private?

From your lamentation, I see that you might want to be in a silent competition with them (poorest)

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong... you bought a property, built it, moved in and then told your siblings, they let you in on how unhappy they are for not being in the know and you call them killjoys?

If your siblings are your enemies then don't tell them.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by made2fit(f): 1:37pm On Mar 09, 2020
n
Nope! I don't ask them about updates in their lives. in fact, I am one of the last to know about their plans etc. There is no competition, at least not from me. Everyone enjoys their money as they like. I don't just want to relive the experience of 3 years ago. Once bitten twice shy .. theirs is not even the issue. it's my mum finding out that I'm worried about.
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by made2fit(f): 1:38pm On Mar 09, 2020
tripplephi:

I suggest you should keep your business to yourself.

Since you are NOT moving in, they do not need to know. and whenever you visit the place, just tell them you were checking for someone.

You have a loving and concerned family BUT it may shock you to know that those who reprimanded you are also keeping things from you.

Families often always OVERRATE or UNDERRATE success.

You know how long it took you to heal, so kindly maintain your peace.

by the way... CONGRATS on your new acquisition.

Thank you. Thanks for understanding.
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Massey27: 2:17pm On Mar 09, 2020
I really don't understand why your siblings will be that angry at you for not telling about your project and even refused visiting.

And I still don't understand why they would want to be informed on everything you are doing in your home.

Neither do I understand why you are acting secretive.

Your story does not really add up .
I feel it's not a big deal telling them but if you don't want them to know then something is really up and you are not opening up here.

Because acting that way just because your sister did not inform you about the house she is building is weird to me.

Well just like someone said above, it depends on how you are closely knit and how you tell each other things.

You are an adult OP with a family of your own. As long as your husband is aware of what you are doing that's all that matters.
If you are informing your siblings it's just because you want to. Not because you have to.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by missimelda01(f): 2:44pm On Mar 09, 2020
Your siblings are not your enemies, except there's something that happened before now that you're not saying. It's different when you're not close to your siblings, that way it's fine to keep things to yourself but if you all are in good terms I don't see the need to hide such good news from them. You've already started planting a bad seed by hiding the house from them, but you can make up by properly apologizing to them.. set your pride aside (On my own money!). Tell your family about the new project, buy a bottle of champagne and cheers to progress.

Cc made2fit

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Gcool2(m): 2:51pm On Mar 09, 2020
made2fit:
n
Nope! I don't ask them about updates in their lives. in fact, I am one of the last to know about their plans etc. There is no competition, at least not from me. Everyone enjoys their money as they like. I don't just want to relive the experience of 3 years ago. Once bitten twice shy .. theirs is not even the issue. it's my mum finding out that I'm worried about.
pls free yourself of the stress by telling them,no one j'has anything against you,u are going about it in the wrong way .These are ur siblings not rivals you guys should be happy together....Not in our family that we are always eager to tell each other everything!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Acidosis(m): 3:09pm On Mar 09, 2020
Why don't you just tell them your husband (or you and hubby) bought the property? You and your husband owes them nothing. The problem here is that you seem to have personalized the whole property acquisition. Reason they see you more as a sibling than a wife and/or mother.

Unless your husband truly don't have any significant contribution, I don't see how a sensible human would get angry because you didn't tell him/her your husband's/family's plans.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by NextD18: 4:02pm On Mar 09, 2020
Without trying to sugarcoat my point, I'll bluntly say that siblings like you are what a peaceful person will pray never to get from God!

You sound very negative towards your siblings and look like the type that can comfortably cause rift and disunity between your siblings.

I can confidently say that you were and still jealous of their progress, reason you are trying to level up, hiding yours from them for it to be a surprise to them.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Saintmary(f): 4:04pm On Mar 09, 2020
made2fit:

Madam, don't tell them until you've completed the structure. Do it two more times, then they will accept it as your character. The first time is usually the hardest. Congratulations.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Topxcel: 4:23pm On Mar 09, 2020
You have the right to keep it to yourself. You know your people better, trust God 4 wisdom in dealing with them.
Remain strong and focused. No distraction
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by nlPoster: 4:44pm On Mar 09, 2020
op you're female and you bought property, right?

Those talking about women and their husband's property should check this thread.
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Yangami: 4:56pm On Mar 09, 2020
I advise you tell them instead of sowing a seed of discord in the family. They are your siblings for Christ sake. My younger brother and parents did same to me and it wasn’t funny at all. I tell them everything damn progress I am making and hide my challenges but the tell me their challenges and hide their progress. IMO I have borrowed myself brain too ooo. They don’t know jack about me again(very bad as that’s not how it ought to be)

2 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by MrBrownJay1(m): 8:54pm On Mar 09, 2020
let them know "codedly" that your business is your business and you are certainly not ready to let any of them know what you are up to.... especially from their reaction after you bought the 1st house. so warn them in advance: "if you've heard i bought another property, dont be surprised or bitter that i havent told you, as it may be true." EOD!

stop trying to live life out of the expectations of others...

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by fastseo: 3:31am On Mar 10, 2020
Same thing with me, when I built my first house... My relations were angry cos I never took them through the building process. I mean my uncles and aunties them..some never care to visit...

Well for me no time for nonsense....

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by frozen70(f): 4:54am On Mar 10, 2020
made2fit:

Well they are reacting because they expect you to tell them and also they weren't expecting it so quickly, not even from your anger

They are not your God, tell your mum that you are paying gradually because you don't have the bulk money to complete the payment

Let her be the one to tell others because the other time you told them, they had cold War with you

Theist Important thing is for you and hubby to be strong and united so that you don't fall

Keep soaring high
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by babythug(f): 5:56am On Mar 10, 2020
Except you have had a strained relationship I don’t see what all this hiding or privacy is about!

All these secrecy is likely to further make you all distant. Yes you’re an adult and entitled to your private life and moments but when there’s a concerted effort to hide stuff I find it either the individual is just mischievous or with a shady character.

I won’t be surprised if your spouse too is in on board with this queer behaviour.

We all need each other and there’s no big deal in sharing success or down times with family
Members

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Tripitaka: 11:25am On Mar 10, 2020
made2fit:

"Thank you for understanding" simply because he aligned with your thoughts or simply echoed your sentiments.

Clearly, you have an agenda and there is am underlying reason you didn't want to tell your siblings about your project. It isn't necessarily a privacy thing, there is a determining factor. Perhaps it's in your head, perhaps too it's a case of you trying to "show them" or you feel you're in some sort of competition with them.

For your siblings to be unhappy about your decision to be secretive means that they share information about their lives with you too - just as familyhood would dictate, unless your family is dysfunctional. Imagine you calling your siblings "acidic and bitter" because they were unhappy with your actions.

I and my siblings have a whatsapp group where we discuss problems we encounter or just gist ourselves about the most random stuffs and we also celebrate each other's little successes ...no matter how little. When I have good news, my family are the first people I share with, not even my partner, but here you are not wanting even your mom to know about your newest acquisition, just because of your siblings.

Now you're hurting that they don't visit your house, why would they seeing that you do not want them in your life. If I were your sibling, I probably won't step foot in your house as you seem too conceited

6 Likes

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Olunmercy56(f): 11:26am On Mar 10, 2020
My dear sister, learn to always close your mouth!!! Go and buy padlock sad Be happy with your husband, only God knows our hearts, some blood relatives are evil

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Richy4(m): 12:33pm On Mar 10, 2020
If it will make u happy not to tell your mum, then don't tell her... Just make sure u got a prepared/ well rehearsed answer available when an outsider informs her..
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by DBestDoc(f): 2:38pm On Mar 10, 2020
You’re missing the whole point Op. It’s not about jealousy, the house or the achievements ( you said it yourself that they’re not poor people), it’s about your actions and inactions.

The reactions they pulled off is not because they’re not happy for you, they are just overwhelmed with shock and disappointment that you could spend almost one year achieving something so huge without giving any of them a clue whatsoever while still dinning, interacting and communicating with them on your WhatsApp group. Out of 5 siblings, not one of them is worthy to be your close buddy and gist partner, not even your mom?

You make them feel like they’re some sort of bad luck that you have to hide your success from. This may not be your intention but it’s exactly how you make them feel.

Moreover, you have the privilege of knowing almost all that’s going on with them but hide yours. I’d also keep away from someone like you. Far far away.

They wouldn’t be pissed if this came from a Stranger. As family and good siblings without underground rift , they felt you owed them some level of openness especially if they’ve always been open to you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by NoToPile: 2:46pm On Mar 10, 2020
If you and your husband did not tell both family members till it was time to move in I see no wrong in that.

If you ask me they overreacted.

As for this one you bought, its left to you to decide if and when you want to inform them.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by MrBrownJay1(m): 6:01pm On Mar 10, 2020
Tripitaka:

"Thank you for understanding" simply because he aligned with your thoughts or simply echoed your sentiments.

Clearly, you have an agenda and there is am underlying reason you didn't want to tell your siblings about your project. It isn't necessarily a privacy thing, there is a determining factor. Perhaps it's in your head, perhaps too it's a case of you trying to "show them" or you feel you're in some sort of competition with them.

For your siblings to be unhappy about your decision to be secretive means that they share information about their lives with you too - just as familyhood would dictate, unless your family is dysfunctional. Imagine you calling your siblings "acidic and bitter" because they were unhappy with your actions.

I and my siblings have a whatsapp group where we discuss problems we encounter or just gist ourselves about the most random stuffs and we also celebrate each other's little successes ...no matter how little. When I have good news, my family are the first people I share with, not even my partner, but here you are not wanting even your mom to know about your newest acquisition, just because of your siblings.

Now you're hurting that they don't visit your house, why would they seeing that you do not want them in your life. If I were your sibling, I probably won't step foot in your house as you seem too conceited

the above in bold is the main issue really... if she had a great family, then they would rejoice about the news of her building a house for her family, instead of turning on her. that single action shows you the type of bitter acidic family she has to deal with. if you are not in a competition with family members then you wouldnt care whether someone told you they were building a house or not (so long as she was successful).

btw if you wouldnt set foot in a sibling's house, simply because he/she didnt let you know that they were building a house, then the problem is YOU and your mindset. the "only" thing a SANE PERSON should do when hearing the news about the good fortune of their siblings, is to rejoice/celebrate the good news (instead of worrying about irrelevant nonsense).

there is a huge difference between wanting people in your life and sharing with them every single details of what you are doing. whats next, letting them know each and every month how much you are saving, before you can actually buy a car?
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Tripitaka: 9:20pm On Mar 10, 2020
DBestDoc:
You’re missing the whole point Op. It’s not about jealousy, the house or the achievements ( you said it yourself that they’re not poor people), it’s about your actions and inactions.

The reactions they pulled off is not because they’re not happy for you, they are just overwhelmed with shock and disappointment that you could spend almost one year achieving something so huge without giving any of them a clue whatsoever while still dinning, interacting and communicating with them on your WhatsApp group. Out of 5 siblings, not one of them is worthy to be your close buddy and gist partner, not even your mom?

You make them feel like they’re some sort of bad luck that you have to hide your success from. This may not be your intention but it’s exactly how you make them feel.

Moreover, you have the privilege of knowing almost all that’s going on with them but hide yours. I’d also keep away from someone like you. Far far away.

They wouldn’t be pissed if this came from a Stranger. As family and good siblings without underground rift , they felt you owed them some level of openness especially if they’ve always been open to you.

MrBrownjay1 this right here is my point. If the OP came from a family like mine where familial bond is highly cherished, and pulled such stunt, everyone will blank her and her house till she borrows some sense.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Mariangeles(f): 9:28pm On Mar 10, 2020
Massey27:
I really don't understand why your siblings will be that angry at you for not telling about your project and even refused visiting.

And I still don't understand why they would want to be informed on everything you are doing in your home.

Neither do I understand why you are acting secretive.

Your story does not really add up .
I feel it's not a big deal telling them but if you don't want them to know then something is really up and you are not opening up here.

Because acting that way just because your sister did not inform you about the house she is building is weird to me.

Well just like someone said above, it depends on how you are closely knit and how you tell each other things.

You are an adult OP with a family of your own. As long as your husband is aware of what you are doing that's all that matters.
If you are informing your siblings it's just because you want to. Not because you have to.

It depends on how close the siblings thought they were.
Imagine, they even have a WhatsApp group and all
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:29pm On Mar 10, 2020
Tripitaka:
MrBrownjay1 this right here is my point. If the OP came from a family like mine where familial bond is highly cherished, and pulled such stunt, everyone will blank her and her house till she borrows some sense.

you continue focusing on the wrong selfish issues instead of the MAIN issue here... in your mind, your own selfish desire to know every single things that your siblings are up to, is more important than their achievements... really?

here is a simple clue: if her husband prefers that they are quiet about such issue with their families, then thats what she will do, because her family comes 1st before you guys. the fact that you would gladly dismiss a sibling because that person suddenly decide to be PRIVATE about their own life, says quite a lot about your mindset.
Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by Mariangeles(f): 9:34pm On Mar 10, 2020
made2fit:

Your mind is already made up on your decision, you're just seeking for validations.

All I can say is, YOU KNOW YOUR FAMILY MORE THAN ANYONE ON THIS FORUM.
You alone know whether what you did was right or wrong.

1 Like

Re: Should I Tell My Mum About My New House? by made2fit(f): 8:37am On Mar 11, 2020
Thanks everyone. I have decided to tell my mum, for a start. Others will know much later.

(1) (Reply)

Who Decides The Number Of Kids To Have In A Family, Is It The Husband Or Wife? / N/A / 55 Inches Bruhm Smart Television

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.