Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,297 members, 7,850,059 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 01:37 PM

Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? (4033 Views)

What Tribe Is The Closest To Yorubas Culturally? / Itsekiris Finally Discard 1979 Edict Insist That They Are Yorubas Not Bini / Showcasing The Diversity Of Igbo Cuisine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by RedboneSmith(m): 4:58pm On Jul 19, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

Benin were d only tribe in Nigeria skilled in wood carvings....

Nigerians can be very audacious with ignorant and arrogant nonsense because WTF is this? shocked

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by TAO11(f): 5:08pm On Jul 19, 2022
This drink called “water”, ehn!?!?

Who owns it before others borrowed it from them??

May be it was owned originally by IgBoS /s

Ṣèbí?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by TAO11(f): 5:11pm On Jul 19, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

Lol the popular egusi and pounded yam you eat is Edo food

Benin were d only tribe in Nigeria skilled in wood carvings to be able to pound yam at that time

Black soup is an Edo soup
Ogbolo is edo soup
Same as egusi
Cotton soup which has been extinct now
Groundnut soup is Edo food

Now you wonder why the eastern yourubas who Benin had extensive contact with are the only yorubas who claim pounded yam and egusi is there delicacy.....and not amala and ewedu

I know you're Igbo a tribe that stool so many people culture as theirs
You missed the one below:

Water” is actually an Edo drink.

Clowns cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 10:29am On Jul 21, 2022
RedboneSmith:

Nigerians can be very audacious with ignorant and arrogant nonsense because WTF is this? shocked

Please disprove my ignorance with valid point
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 10:38am On Jul 21, 2022
Goodday90:
You also invented fish as edo were the only tribes that know what fishing nets are,lol
Ogbono/ogbolo depending on the dialect is definitely Igbo,as the “No/lo” at the end means something slimy in all of igboland
Anambra and some part of Enugu will likely call it ogbono while ndi imo and Abia call it ogbolo

We have enough soups and foods in igboland okra,bitter leaf,ukwa,nkwobi,isi ewu etc,so we do not need to stool anybody’s food

We have the Edo words for ogbolo because we decide to call it the popular Igbo word for it, for easy communication does not connote the origin to be that of Igbo

Igbos were eating leafs from the Forest and nothing more, most Nigerians delicacy were mostly vegetables, ogbolo is a tree that grows in the rain forest it's a mighty tree that needs abundant water to grow it takes years before it bears fruit, I don't think
The east has such weather for it except it was later introduced as foreign crop

Is so sad everyone is talking Edo culture to claim as Thiers because we are minorities I won't sucum to such institution

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 10:40am On Jul 21, 2022
TAO11:
You missed the one below:

Water” is actually an Edo drink.

Clowns cheesy

Pained but not my concern as long as you cant disprove my fact keep your pains to yourself
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 10:48am On Jul 21, 2022
Before you all start claiming things like delicacy for your tribe make sure , you are well equipped with historical knowledge, geography...and not just mere assumption

Egusi and pounded is an Edo delicacy, pounded yam could be a general soild food for west Africa back then. and not necessarily Edo origin but eguisi is an Edo invented soup with fact to back it up
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by TAO11(f): 11:12am On Jul 21, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

Pained but not my concern as long as you cant disprove my fact keep your pains to yourself
Pained? and Disprove your “facts”?? No sir. I was simply adding one more “fact” that you forgot. Haha

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by christistruth01: 11:51am On Jul 21, 2022
Goodday90:
Edo get food ?

Na Ishan and Urhobo get food,Benin only Copied from them

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Jidasem: 1:25pm On Jul 21, 2022
Thebadpolitican:
Before you all start claiming things like delicacy for your tribe make sure , you are well equipped with historical knowledge, geography...and not just mere assumption

Egusi and pounded is an Edo delicacy, pounded yam could be a general soild food for west Africa back then. and not necessarily Edo origin but eguisi is an Edo invented soup with fact to back it up

Pounded yam is an English word my friend, Yorubas have always had Iyan ('pounded yam') from time immemorial. And Egusi isn't edo or igbo or Yoruba specific; egusi is also in several cultures from hausas to Ghana to Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, Benin, Nigeria, and Cameroon. Some call it agushi, egusi, egwusi, agusi, ohue, Ikpan, Ikon, etc. So good luck finding the origins of the seed or who grew it first, or called it egusi or its several numerous names.

What you can argue is Nigerian egusi soup is the original and made the best, in my none biased opinion the Yoruba egusi soup is unmatched and also other ethnicities like igbos and edo do a good job too. Egusi is one of those food items our ancestors didn't "gate keep" just like garri (though there are different version of garri by ethnicity, and i prefer the Yoruba Ijebu garri, but garri in general is always nice, even in Ghana).

So unlike the culturally specific foods, foods like egusi and garri are spread across cultures and just have different versions by culture and region.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 2:46pm On Jul 21, 2022
Jidasem:

Pounded yam is an English word my friend, Yorubas have always had Iyan ('pounded yam') from time immemorial. And Egusi isn't edo or igbo or Yoruba specific; egusi is also in several cultures from hausas to Ghana to Mali, Burkina Faso, Togo, Ghana, Côte d'Ivoire, Benin, Nigeria, and Cameroon. Some call it agushi, egusi, egwusi, agusi, ohue, Ikpan, Ikon, etc. So good luck finding the origins of the seed or who grew it first, or called it egusi or its several numerous names.

What you can argue is Nigerian egusi soup is the original and made the best, in my none biased opinion the Yoruba egusi soup is unmatched and also other ethnicities like igbos and edo do a good job too. Egusi is one of those food items our ancestors didn't "gate keep" just like garri (though there are different version of garri by ethnicity, and i prefer the Yoruba Ijebu garri, but garri in general is always nice, even in Ghana).

So unlike the culturally specific foods, foods like egusi and garri are spread across cultures and just have different versions by culture and region.

Eguisi is not an African soup stop making up things from thin air

Pounded yam if well traced it would be of Benin orgin exported to other Nigeria culture no tribe in Nigeria were skilled in wood carving
To even think of making pounded yam

Yorubas claiming eguisi hahaha grin grin

Iyan is yam in Benin. And ema is called pounded yam, you see why pounded yam as a food is a Yoruba loaned delicacy from the edos

Take a seat and go and claim the origin of amala and ewedu with oyo

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Maazieze(m): 7:18pm On Jul 21, 2022
Whats with the nonsense topic nowadays, appropriate this, stealing that. Were our ancestors beating eachother over which cultural practice they could gate keep?
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Goodday90(m): 7:48pm On Jul 21, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

We have the Edo words for ogbolo because we decide to call it the popular Igbo word for it, for easy communication does not connote the origin to be that of Igbo

Igbos were eating leafs from the Forest and nothing more, most Nigerians delicacy were mostly vegetables, ogbolo is a tree that grows in the rain forest it's a mighty tree that needs abundant water to grow it takes years before it bears fruit, I don't think
The east has such weather for it except it was later introduced as foreign crop

Is so sad everyone is talking Edo culture to claim as Thiers because we are minorities I won't sucum to such institution

Borrowed food always bears its original name even when taken to America,ogbono/ogbolo seeds is gotten from bush mango(ugiri in Igbo language) which grows aboundantly in igboland,there is one in my family house in Anambra today,I don’t know why the average Nigerian views the east as one desert where nothing grows,that is very ignorant of you

You can take it up with God if you are angry not us,Edos are not known by their foods are r even the smallest snacks
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 12:36am On Jul 22, 2022
Goodday90:
Borrowed food always bears its original name even when taken to America,ogbono/ogbolo seeds is gotten from bush mango(ugiri in Igbo language) which grows aboundantly in igboland,there is one in my family house in Anambra today,I don’t know why the average Nigerian views the east as one desert where nothing grows,that is very ignorant of you

You can take it up with God if you are angry not us,Edos are not known by their foods are r even the smallest snacks

ugu( pumpkin leaf) is a very popular igbo word everyone use to refer to the plant, does that now mean the igbos invented ugu leaf to the world
yet again igbos dont have the weather to grow ogbolo tree

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Goodday90(m): 8:42am On Jul 22, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

ugu( pumpkin leaf) is a very popular igbo word everyone use to refer to the plant, does that now mean the igbos invented ugu leaf to the world
yet again igbos dont have the weather to grow ogbolo tree

I know you got my point but you just want to act ignorant
Your people are not know for their foods,you can call any of your non bini friends and ask them to mention some edo foods
I’ll be waiting to hear them
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 9:34am On Jul 22, 2022
Goodday90:
I know you got my point but you just want to act ignorant
Your people are not know for their foods,you can call any of your non bini friends and ask them to mention some edo foods
I’ll be waiting to hear them

I just educated your ignorance. You have been eating Edo food without knowing all this while all you should have said is thank you for a wonderful rededucation but nope your ego won't let it...

The culture of the Igbos today were all borrowed from different tribe, the Igbos even try to localise the items they borrowed with their own dialect but that won't save them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Goodday90(m): 9:45am On Jul 22, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

I just educated your ignorance. You have been eating Edo food without knowing all this while all you should have said is thank you for a wonderful rededication but nope your ego won't let it...

The culture of the Igbos today we're all borrowed from different tribe, the Igbos even try to localise the items they borrowed with their own dialect but that won't save them

Now you are intentionally being ignorant and I can’t help you
Go and get educated else where,I will not educate you for free
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Jidasem: 5:28pm On Jul 22, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

Pounded yam if well traced it would be of Benin orgin exported to other Nigeria culture no tribe in Nigeria were skilled in wood carving

Iyan is yam in Benin. And ema is called pounded yam, you see why pounded yam as a food is a Yoruba loaned delicacy from the edos

Egusi seed is West African, I never said it was just "African", read well. Wood carving is the most basic skill, even a chimpanzee and an early man can do it lmaooo. Everybody in "Nigeria", africa and the rest of the world knew how to f-ing carve some wood. Such low iq or trolling on nairaland lmaoo. Plus Yorubas who were making bronze and metal work and dealing with gold and silver, didn't need Edos for anything. If anything it's the other way around.

Yorubas taught Edo bronze work and so many other things, all which are historically and arciologically confirmed. Yoruba and it's culture existed before Edos. If anything Edo "loaned" Yoruba foods. Iyan is pounded yam in yoruba, Isu is yam in Yoruba. Yorubas are known for their food, Edo , not so much.

And stop being pressed and pained, it's making you look jealous of a natural thing, such as a group of people's natural culinary skills.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 9:01pm On Jul 22, 2022
Jidasem:

Egusi seed is West African, I never said it was just "African", read well. Wood carving is the most basic skill even a chimpanzee and an early man can do it lmaooo. Everybody in "Nigeria", africa and the rest of the world knew how to f-ing carve some wood. Suck low iq or trolling on nairaland lmaoo. Plus Yorubas who were making bronze and metal work and dealing with gold and silver, didn't need Edos for anything. If anything it's the other way around.

Yorubas taught Edo bronze work and so many other things, all which are historically and arciologically confirmed. Yoruba and it's culture existed before Edos. If anything Edo "loaned" Yoruba foods. Iyan is pounded yam in yoruba, Isu is yam in Yoruba. Yorubas are known for their food, Edo , not so much.

And stop being pressed and pained, it's making you look jealous of a natural thing, such as a group of people's natural culinary skills.

You said yorubas taught Benin bronze work with evidence to back it up

I mean evidence done by European researcher's only, not just oral narrative please

If you can provide that then we can talk about The other rubbish you spilled up there

If you can't provide the evidence I will get one from both Edo and European source that prove otherwise just to humiliate you.... on the assertion that yorubas taught Benin artwork's

It seem you don't even know the Melon plant was foreign to Africa until Portuguese introduced it to subsaharans
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Probz(m): 8:34am On Jul 26, 2022
Sammy07:
Akamu --- pap --- Ogi

Is also Yoruba food.

Ta. What kind of lie?
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by 1Sharon(f): 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2022
RedboneSmith:

The Edo and thier lies grin
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by 1Sharon(f): 3:27pm On Jul 29, 2022
Thebadpolitican:

What does Egusi mean in edo languages?
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Thebadpolitican(m): 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2022
1Sharon:

The Edo and thier lies grin

You call edo liars for claiming what belongs
To them

Ooh you think egusi plant was originally from Africa even water melon is not africa this are plant that has its origin in Africa, Portuguese brought it from Asia and replanted them in Africa and also sold it to locals,

Edo has 50 percent culture in what Nigeria is calling culture today...and igbos are the biggest thieves of the Edo culture

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by EmperorCaesar(m): 9:08am On Jul 29, 2023
I like this thread

1 Like

Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Swiftgrp: 4:53pm On Oct 26, 2023
Thebadpolitican:

Iyan in Yoruba language is accurately called pounded yam NOT yam.

Yam in Yoruba language is called isu.

Pounded yam= Iyan
Yam= Isu

The Binis got some loan words from the Yorubas and vice versa to some extent because of the contacts between Binis and Eastern Yorubas. There were large Yoruba trading communities in Edo, and parts of Delta centuries back and the people of Usen in Edo State also have direct ancestral ties or roots with Ile Ife which they have come to dialectically refer to as "Uhe" so Yoruba loan words are part of Bini-Edo dialect/language.

The Bini-Edos also had trading communities in
Yorubaland especially in Owo and Akure in Ondo State. The Binis had their "Akure Ado" quarters in Akure but have been Yorubanized with intermarriage and usage of Yoruba names but they still remember their family compounds in Benin.

There are regional differences in foods, dialect, culture and more. So Amala which is a direct derivative of powdered yams and ewedu are very much part of the many delicacies and soups in Yorubaland from the Oyo people, just like pounded yam and the different varieties of efo riro and obe egusi are very much a large part of delicacies in Yorubaland especially Ekiti, Ondo, Osun, Kogi, etc.

A female poster from Cross Rivers posted on this NL forum years back that many of the soups Ibos claim as their's were actually borrowed from the Efiks/Ibibios, etc. The Ibos of Aro, Ohafia, and more who live close to the borders with Ibibios, Annangs and Efiks do eat the same foods the Ibibios eat and even dress like them with those woolen hats and wrappers.

Recently, I've been seeing Banga soup among the soups some Ibo females on and off NL are claiming to be part of Ibo soup but they have given it the name: Ibo version of "Banga" soup. So, that explains the claim that Ibos have been borrowing culinary skills, foods and more from other nearby ethnic cultures.
Re: Why Are Yorubas Trying To Culturally Appropriate Igbo Cuisine? by Antivirus92(m): 9:53am On Oct 27, 2023
Swiftgrp:

Iyan is accurately called pounded yam NOT yam.

Yam is isu. The Binis got some loan words from Yorubas and vice versa to some extent because of the contacts between Binis and Eastern Yorubas. There were large Yoruba trading communities in Edo, parts of Delta centuries back and the people of Usen also have direct ancestral ties with Ife which they have come to refer to as "Uhe" so Yoruba loan words are part of Bini-Edo dialect/language.

There are regional differences in foods, dialect, culture and more. So Amala which is a direct derivative of powdered yams and ewedu are very much part of the many delicacies and soups in Yorubaland, just like pounded yam and the different varieties of efo riro and obe egusi are very much a large part of delicacies in Yorubaland especially Ekiti, Ondo, Osun, Kogi, etc.

A female poster from Cross Rivers posted on this NL forum that many of the soups Ibos claim as their's were actually borrowed from the Efiks/Ibibios, etc. The Ibos of Aro, Ohafia, and more close to the borders with Ibibios, Annangs and Efiks do eat the foods the Ibibios eat and even dress like them with those woolen hats and wrappers.

Recently, I've been seeing Banga soup among the soups some Ibos females on and off NL are claiming to be part of Ibo soup but they have given it the name Ibo version of "Banga" soup. So, that explains the claim that Ibos have been borrow culinary skills, foods and more from other nearby ethnic cultures.
Igbos don't do Bangalore soup, we do ofe akwu which is a stew used to eat rice, it is prepared from palm nut. Banga and it's usage is quite different from Igbo ofe akwu and it's usage. The mode of preparation is different too.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Booker T. Washington, Another Famous Aa Of Igbo Descent / Ask Pleep! Nairaland Resident History Expert! / What Do You Know About Igede Tribe In Benue State?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.