Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,389 members, 7,812,150 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

I Need Tips On Self-publishing And Sales Strategy. (Answered) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / I Need Tips On Self-publishing And Sales Strategy. (Answered) (312 Views)

Kobo Publishing: Self Publishing And Print On Demand In Nigeria / Earn Massive $$$ Publishing And Selling Books On Amazon / A Short Story On Self Love And Self Discovery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I Need Tips On Self-publishing And Sales Strategy. (Answered) by crayon001(m): 1:54am On Mar 18, 2020
Hello Nairalanders,

It is said that 'no man is an island', and this has proven to be an eternal truth. In acknowledgement of the above, I am seeking your invaluable opinions on how to sell a book I've been working on.

I'm a budding author with zero experience in book publishing. I have written too many stories in the past and never bothered about printing or selling any until very recently. All of my works are either lost or LOST in my many trips and short stays around the country in search of gainful employment. The trips didn't pay much but on one of those, I have been gifted a great story for young adults and I'm looking to print and sell this particular piece.

I need tips on how to go about it. I'm aware soft-copies can be sold online on sites like 'Okada books' and 'Amazon Kindle'. I'm afraid this book may be more relevant to Nigerians and Africans who I believe do not subscribe so well to online reading. I'll, however, publish online. The advice I seek is on how to sell hard-copies.

My target audience: kids between the ages of 13-16.

Genre: Prose (Fiction)

Word length: 15,000 - 20,000

For a start, I'm looking to print 1000 copies only. Any ideas on costing and pricing?

I'm hopeful to gain from your experience. I'll appreciate your suggestions on proofreading, editing, formatting and layout, printing, and sales strategy.

Thank you for your kind suggestions.

@Crayon001
Re: I Need Tips On Self-publishing And Sales Strategy. (Answered) by Divepen1(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2020
Congrats on planning to publish in the first place.
The process is somehow simple. I have a free book that will give you full details. You can download at writertainpublishers.com/freebook

To start with publishing:

Publishing
1. As I explained in the book, you can either pay some companies to do this for you. They are not publishers but they help self-publishers. One such book is 'Acceptance by Ibitola Ojoye.
Another popular one is 'Spider Web by Dumebi Ezar' you will see her interview on our website about how to organise your book launch soon.

- The other option
is to go to a nearby printer.
This time, you will own the publishing company. You can get that through a lawyer or by visiting their website.
-- This printing company will help tell you the price because they will use plate for it.
--- You can decide to print it out with regular printers. All you need is to set the printer to bookfold and it will print all your works as a book. This reduces cost.

-- These people will then cut it for you
--- If you are doing it yourself, then you will get to a cutter. They will shapen it for you or simply get a cutting machine. There are several youtube videos on that.

-- Get a graphics designer to design your book cover to your taste

--Your printing company can help you print the copy out
---If you are doing it yourself, you can either print them out by yourself through Direct Image (I've forgotten the name now) But the price is between 20-50 naira if you bargain well

-- Then, binding. They will cut and bind
--- You can also pay for this at a lower rate

- Oh get Isbn. The book has the details or simply read it here

- You will need to get copyright too. Read it up here

Then, you are done.
- Send copies to National library at Ibadan.

Advertising

There are things you will do.
Before you dabble into it at at all, as I stated in this place, you need:

1. Get a landing page, which can be a personal website
2. Email subscriptions

They will help you later.

When you have published, try these:

22 Things To Do After You Self-Publish in Nigeria and Anywhere else.

Author’s Branding
It is good to have all of these but in case, you can’t, you’re at liberty to pick some of them. A good landing page will help you get your book out.
1. Book Website (.com or NG) and customisation : You need a place to use as your landing page when people search for you online.
2. Registration at Mailchimp or any other email website and setting-up
3. Have A Page on Writertain Publishers : We are all about information and would be so delighted to drop information about you and your book here.
4. Have a social media presence: Have a page on the three most popular social media ( Facebook, Twitter, Instagram). Then, pick the one you feel you would love to be active on. Most people choose Instagram because it allows them to post immediately on the other platforms. However, a research done last year shows a lot of writers favour Twitter to all other websites.
5. Have A Cause You are fighting For : Your book… What’s it all about? Use it as a cause and keep talking about it.
6. Get Followers and Fans: Your book is eternal and if it is truly for the world, people will keep reprinting even after you’re gone ask Charles Babbage ( Sorry, Charles Dickens). So, create email opt-ins that will blow their minds away.
7. If you have published in the hardcover,
try publishing online.

Advertisement
The next thing you should consider is the way you want to advertise.
8. Create posters and banner : Preferably use the softcopy and post it on social media regularly.
9. Use paid adverts on social media
10. Advertise it on popular websites e.g Nairaland, Reddit

Book Events
11. Book Launch : ( I saw ‘Book Lunch’ somewhere! Well, you can do that too if you’re up for it) If you’ve not done that and feel you’re capable of doing it, then by all means do that. Make it interesting. Spice it with games relating to the book.
12. Book Reading : You can also organize a book reading event. Just ensure you bring chinchin, milkose ( do they still sell those?), minimie, and for those of us that love going traditional- bring Garri, cold water, and fried fish. In essence, bring something to munch while reading book. Any type of music can accompany it.
13. Competition : Organize competitions but be ready to part with your money.

Book Reviews
The next thing you need is to write a good review for your book, try it out yourself
14. Writer a teaser.. This might look like something you have done before but if you need to write different versions, start now. Check out our discussion about teasers here
15. You can also use various book reviews sites. We have a top list for you to check from.
16. Use book clubs also. Nigeria has a lot of
top book clubs that have promoted books beyond descriptions.

Interviews
17. You need interviews also
18. Get interviewed on Writertain (Claps! Luckily, we are not conventional and will make you teach instead of the regular discussions)
19. Talk to radio and TV stations or podcasts that allow book interviews
20. Get interviewed on Blogs like Pellura.top and so many others.
When you are creating these awareness ensure, you
21. Plan for a long time
22. Ensure they all go simultaneously. The boost makes people curious.

If you need any of these services, we provide them. All you need to do is to send a message asking for the price of the ones you want. Chikena!
[

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ghost Recap Ep1 / The Night-poetry / "Authority Of The Believer" By Christiana Oghogho Okafor - A Christian Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.