Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,596 members, 7,823,591 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:07 PM

Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) - Celebrities (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) (58662 Views)

Elizabeth Evoeme Is Dead! Ovularia Of The New Masquerade Dies At 81 / Lari Williams Dies At 81 / The Interior Of Kenny Blaq New Home (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Brightest04(m): 9:12pm On Mar 21, 2020
Great man with great voice,goodbye Kenny
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Seunpaul01(m): 9:15pm On Mar 21, 2020
Dannyozs:
shocked

Didn't know this much Nigerians cared for country music tho. Aint gon lie it's not been long I started listening to country/western music, soul, black old school music including rap, reggae etc. I just knew something was missing each time I cringe to the jargons that play on tv both locally and internationally.

I was in a place I needed serious soul searching and good music was the remedy. How overwhelmingly good was old school music? The lyrics, the message, addressing societal issues and personal struggles.

Kenny Rogers was one of my favourite sing along musician, the gambler, Lucille, coward of the county, islands in the stream with Dolly Parton. I am a huge, huge fan of country music. Some of my other favourite;
You never even called me by my name
Take me home, country road
Choices
Coat of many colors
Your cheating heart
Walkin after midnight
King of the hill
I'm a man of constant sorrows
Jolene(as a kid, my mum always plays this. I remember cus this one just sticks to your mind forever)
The devil went down to Georgia(mad song, lol).

I advice my fellow youths to indulge more into meaningful songs, of course old school music. You'd be surprised how much you can learn from music.

Rest in peace Legend, thank you for contributing postively in my life.

U are bless bro. U a real nigga. That is what we call music.
The sweet thing about these lovely musicians of the 80s n 90s is that they have young musicians that are following their path. Young country musicians like.. Luke combs, Kane brown, Luke Bryan, Carley Pearce, Lil Nas X, etc.

But it's a different thing entirely here in Nigeria. Those Nigeria musicians legend died but there is no young musician that want to venture in their kind of music. Who sings juju like Ebenezer obey, sunny Ade. Fuji Music like Kolintin, Barrister, the apala music is dead. All our young mind want is to quick Fame from rubbish n nonsensical Music. Nobody is doing lagbaja style again. There is no other musician that want to do Fela n Asa things again. It's only God that can help Africans reason well.

RIP to Kenny Rogers. Ur Music live on.

3 Likes

Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by feedthenation(m): 9:22pm On Mar 21, 2020
He is a musical legend
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by kumulus(m): 10:20pm On Mar 21, 2020
tillaman:
you are obsessed with Death or what Or it’s just an expression

It's the truth.

Never forgotten, Legend Forever!!
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Abikeade11(f): 10:21pm On Mar 21, 2020
Rest in peace Kenny Rogers..one of favorite country musician
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Toseenlove: 10:26pm On Mar 21, 2020
SweetCunt97:
Nassooo! MO ki yi oo, my parents never even meet that time sef... Choi

Are you from Yoruba tribe?
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by doggedfighter(f): 10:35pm On Mar 21, 2020
deltateam:
h

Death is not the worst thing that can happen but not finding a purpose in Christ.
Keep quiet, there
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by MetaPhysical: 10:57pm On Mar 21, 2020
Wow!
I was just last week watching a live duo performance of him and Lionel Ritchie singing "Lady" on stage in Memphis.

Oh my! May his soul rest in peace!
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by PrinceKenne(m): 11:14pm On Mar 21, 2020
One of my best country boys is gone, I will miss you Kenny Roggers but the the great voice shall remain evergreen.
Goodnight
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Whizbuzz(m): 6:27am On Mar 22, 2020
Rest in peace Mr Kehinde Rodgers
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by GentleSmiles: 7:58am On Mar 22, 2020
It's time already to revisit my old legend songs again. Rest on Master Country musics.
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Smytter(m): 11:42am On Mar 22, 2020
mekleelex200:

Then elucidate the more.

The Song is simply about life and how we deal with comes to us. The gamblers was just a figure of speech... Most country music used metaphor to talk more about life. So the song is just tryna say life is a matter of chance or luck.
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by mekleelex200(m): 1:17pm On Mar 22, 2020
Smytter:
The Song is simply about life and how we deal with comes to us. The gamblers was just a figure of speech... Most country music used metaphor to talk more about life. So the song is just tryna say life is a matter of chance or luck.
I know that part but I am talking about the literal part that affects our world we are living in.....BTW thanks for that explanations I got the figure.
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Icocop101(m): 1:20pm On Mar 22, 2020
Explorers:
The Rogers family is sad to announce that Kenny Rogers passed away last night at 10:25PM at the age of 81.

Rogers passed away peacefully at home from natural causes under the care of hospice and surrounded by his family,' a statement said.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the family is planning to have a small private service at this time with a public memorial at a later date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLliaTneKts

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8137345/Country-music-icon-Kenny-Rogers-dies-aged-81.html

Chai!! "This inevitable stranger called DEATH." has done it again!

I remember sometime in the 80's, when my father would drive us in his "Datsun-120y" herding to Ekai amusement park and Ogba Zoo during festive season, playing Kenny Rogers Country home cartridge music all the way. "How i really and truly missed those times....."

Lord! Give this new generation sense; to be meaningful to their world, making a long lasting positive impact and leaving a good legacy behind.

MAY YOUR BELOVED SOUL R.I.P! Kenny Rogers.

1 Like

Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Appleyard(m): 2:01pm On Mar 22, 2020
I will never forget tracks like

1. Coward of the county
2. The gambler
3. Lucille
4. I don't call him daddy
5. Buried treasures

Kenny and Dom Williams will forever remain the greatest of country music.
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Nobody: 5:21pm On Mar 22, 2020
[s]
Olanipekun1:
angry cry

RIP legend

my favorite of his song

On a warm summer's eve
On a train bound for nowhere
I met up with the gambler
We were both too tired to sleep
So we took turns a-starin'
Out the window at the darkness
The boredom overtook us,
And he began to speak

He said, "Son, I've made a life
Out of readin' people's faces
Knowin' what the cards were
By the way they held their eyes
So if you don't mind me sayin'
I can see you're out of aces
For a taste of your whiskey
I'll give you some advice"

So I handed him my bottle
And he drank down my last swallow
Then he bummed a cigarette
And asked me for a light
And the night got deathly quiet
And his faced lost all expression
He said, "If you're gonna play the game, boy
You gotta learn to play it right

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
You never count your money
When you're sittin' at the table
There'll be time enough for countin'
When the dealin's done

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep
'Cause every hand's a winner
And every hand's a loser
And the best that you can hope for is to die
in your sleep

And when he finished speakin'
He turned back toward the window
Crushed out his cigarette
And faded off to sleep
And somewhere in the darkness
The gambler he broke even
But in his final words
I found an ace that I could keep

Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
When the dealin's done

You've got to know when to hold 'em (when to hold 'em)
Know when to fold 'em (when to fold 'em)
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
When the dealin's done

Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run
When the dealin's done
[/s]

You need to start striking out my comments.
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by femiolorun(m): 6:08pm On Mar 22, 2020
What a great loss oooo, was driving to ibadan on Friday when my wife called me that , that music I normally play , the man that use to play quiter is dead, I said which man, Kenny she ulter , so painful , thanks I was privileged to attend one of his concert live , RIP, Kenny Roger
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Dannyozs(m): 9:09pm On Mar 22, 2020
Seunpaul01:

U are bless bro. U a real nigga. That is what we call music.
The sweet thing about these lovely musicians of the 80s n 90s is that they have young musicians that are following their path. Young country musicians like.. Luke combs, Kane brown, Luke Bryan, Carley Pearce, Lil Nas X, etc.

But it's a different thing entirely here in Nigeria. Those Nigeria musicians legend died but there is no young musician that want to venture in their kind of music. Who sings juju like Ebenezer obey, sunny Ade. Fuji Music like Kolintin, Barrister, the apala music is dead. All our young mind want is to quick Fame from rubbish n nonsensical Music. Nobody is doing lagbaja style again. There is no other musician that want to do Fela n Asa things again. It's only God that can help Africans reason well.

RIP to Kenny Rogers. Ur Music live on.
No truer words have been spoken before. Thank you. Glad to know there are still fans of "good music" in this era of trash dominated music world.

1 Like

Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Elohe001: 11:36pm On Mar 23, 2020
Daytime friends but nighttime lovers
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by Vanwilson96(m): 9:15am On Apr 17, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
I knew him very well. He was my grandpa's close friend and I remember him tickling me whenever he visited my house back then when I was still little. He even called me his grand daughter in law. When his grandson Kingsley told him he was getting married, he was disappointed to hear that he was marrying an Egyptian girl. Then he jokingly told me he would take me as his new wife. I was preparing to go visit him when this demonic pandemic from China started flying around and movement was restricted.Now we are never gonna marry again. And now he bows out of the stage to live forever in my heart.
RIP MY LOVE.
Shey because you hear Kenny Rodgers no be Kehinde Rodgers��No b Yoruba person ooo
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 6:58pm On Apr 17, 2020
Vanwilson96:
Shey because you hear Kenny Rodgers no be Kehinde Rodgers��No b Yoruba person ooo
See this one o
Re: Kenny Rogers Dies At 81 (Photos) by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 7:04pm On Apr 17, 2020
Vanwilson96:
Det there nah

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Who Is Sexier Between Wizkid's And Davido's Bodyguards?(photos) / Zubby Michael & Chizzy Alichi Fight Over "A Woman Being King Of Boys" / Davido's Girlfriend, Chef Chioma, Steps Out In See-Through Top (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.