Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,765 members, 7,817,107 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? (3365 Views)

Pictorial Illustration Of How Nigerians Eat Rice / Bread And Fufu: Would You Eat This? (Photos) / Eating Meat Last: Why Do Most Nigerians Do This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by NaijadrivaCars: 8:20am On Mar 23, 2020
Bread and tea used to be a food of the rich several years ago. Visit any rich man's home and at the dining table or in the kitchen, chocolate drinks, milk and sugar can be seen. As the years went by, most people could afford it. It was even part of the supplies given to children who are boarding students by their parents. It is a popular breakfast in Nigeria.

Please note that "tea' is not the same as chocolate drinks (such as Milo, Ovaltine, Bournvita, etc) as tea is a type of drink made from tea leaves- the Chinese are expert tea makers and it originated from China and spread to other parts of the world. Tea leaves can be plucked, ground and served with hot water as the Japanese and Chinese do; its leaves can be dried and packaged in small tea bags (such as Top Tea, Lipton and so on).

Chocolate drinks however are drinks made from Cocoa, a cash crop originating from Europe, especially Portugal. Ripe Cocoa pods are harvested and the cocoa beans are the real deal as they can be eating raw - gives you chocolate taste, or processed and tinned or to make it more affordable, they are packaged in sachets- which was a game changer as most poor people can afford it. Even tea makers, popularly called 'Mai Shayi" have sprung up, thereby employing many people, especially people from Northern Nigeria. Bread is a staple too - dough made from flour, sugar and other ingredients. Although in recent times, prices of bread has skyrocketed because of increase in price of its major ingredient - flour, amongst others.

The issue is that, bread and tea or chocolate drink is eaten by eating the bread and occasionally sipping the tea/chocolate drink (which is made with hot water). It can also be eaten with bean cakes (akara), margarine and so on, but most Nigerians, maybe you too reading this post, eat the food/appetiser by putting bread slices or cuts INSIDE the tea/chocolate drink. Why? Is it tastier that way or most people do not know food etiquette, especially as regards eating bread and tea/chocolate drinks?

Source; https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=91df41df4fe2df75e81de2869aae3550&news_entry_id=s56e98392200321en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=3b9bf78faf0df007c79e9dfa9c86113f5580f836&from=publisher&fbclid=IwAR3qbK6rhagXkldkWgl9KeaMUJbxOKi1bHWtOek9fxFKtiN_EVD8tzj5ccU

lalasticlala, mynd44, missyB3, Dominique, ishilove,

1 Share

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Catchfirez: 8:26am On Mar 23, 2020
The best way...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Romanoff(f): 8:34am On Mar 23, 2020
It is disgusting.

Na poverty mentality las las. Cause if the bread get eggs in between, butter or peanut butter, trust me, they won't dip it inside tea.

Cc lalasticlala o

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by nrexzy: 8:36am On Mar 23, 2020
Na for soft landing.....

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by donbachi(m): 8:36am On Mar 23, 2020
na only a fool go dey 4 Naija dey form American..."yo men,yo men"...na so we inherit am..exposure Don help us.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Mynd44: 8:41am On Mar 23, 2020
The hands in the picture are not Nigerians meaning it is a global thing.

How people choose to eat their food is their business not yours

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by iretiolu92(f): 8:49am On Mar 23, 2020
Romanoff:
It is disgusting.

Na poverty mentality las las. Cause if the bread get eggs in between, butter or peanut butter, trust me, they won't dip it inside tea.

Cc lalasticlala o
Try it and u will really love it

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by tyup(m): 8:53am On Mar 23, 2020
Romanoff:
It is disgusting.

Cc lalasticlala o

The way folks like you associate poverty to every damn thing is sickening and the funny thing is that is nur that ur not an ambassador of poverty but you'll like shy away from what ur master has given unto you sad

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Adam00(m): 10:00am On Mar 23, 2020
Mynd44:

you said it all.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Adam00(m): 10:02am On Mar 23, 2020
tyup:

The way folks like you associate poverty to every damn thing is sickening and the funny thing is that is nur that ur not an ambassador of poverty but you'll like shy away from what ur master has given unto you sad

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by gentlesinna(m): 3:40pm On Mar 23, 2020
Romanoff:
It is disgusting.

Cc lalasticlala o
u are so so disgusting.....see hardcore kpako forming ajebo online.how much is egg,butter and peanut butter dat can't be affordable......it's a matter of choice to eat what ever,when ever and how ever u want...so shot up and face ur olosho life style

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Romanoff(f): 4:49pm On Mar 23, 2020
gentlesinna:
u are so so disgusting.....see hardcore kpako forming ajebo online.how much is egg,butter and peanut butter dat can't be affordable......it's a matter of choice to eat what ever,when ever and how ever u want...so shot up and face ur olosho life style

With majority of Nigerians living below the poverty line. I don't know why you people call women olosho.

Maybe cause your mum gave birth to you that way and your sisters are in the trade as well.

Foolish mongerel.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by gentlesinna(m): 5:10pm On Mar 23, 2020
Romanoff:

With majority of Nigerians living below the poverty line. I don't know why you people call women olosho.

Maybe cause your mum gave birth to you that way and your sisters are in the trade as well.

Foolish mongerel.
look at this maggot of the maggotiest maggot who don't even know the difference between choice and need.... linking everything to poverty..........

Foolish Amoeba

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Romanoff(f): 5:59pm On Mar 23, 2020
gentlesinna:
look at this maggot of the maggotiest maggot who don't even know the difference between choice and need.... linking everything to poverty..........

Foolish Amoeba

E pain you. You are from a lineage of Oloshos, that's why it is easy for you to call any woman that name. If any woman of you was virtuous, you'd respect women more. I understand your pain.

You can't see beyond your present circumstances.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by NaijadrivaCars: 9:42am On Mar 24, 2020
Mynd44:

So, there are no light skinned Africans

As a Masters holder, I am sure you have heard of "food etiquette".

Can you eat bread and tea this way in a social gathering?
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Humphrizy(m): 10:34am On Mar 24, 2020
Any way na way...so far say you don't bellle full...No shaking
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by NaijadrivaCars: 7:22pm On Mar 24, 2020
nrexzy:
Na for soft landing.....
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Wigetsolar: 10:07am On Mar 27, 2020
grin grin

Rich folks or enlightened people don't eat this way.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by CTGVenturesFCT(f): 4:42pm On Mar 28, 2020
I eat both ways depending on the bread.

If its sliced bread with fillings (sandwich), I eat it the oyibo way grin but If its agege kind of bread, na dipping inside tea straight.

It has nothing to do with how rich or poor one is.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Lynx001: 5:51am On Mar 29, 2020
Good day moderator,accurate time keepers,co-debators, and my fellow nlanders. Am here to oppose the notion that says chewing bread and swallowing tea is better than dipping.
1:when you eat garri and soup do you put garri in ur mouth and put soup later.NO. 2:solid and liquid have to mix outside the buccal cavity first before u throw them in.
3:dipping bread allows the nutrient to flow upward from the tea by gravity. This allows the sugar and chocolate in the tea to jam the sugar in the bread. On exposure to air they form 1,2 chlorotea,breadane. This compound is good for humands.
4:have u eaten michelin tyre bread. Nobody go tell u to dip bread inside tea. The tea acts as a softening agent. It makes the bread chewable.
5:tea is managed.
with this few point of mine i don finish.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerians Eat Bread And Tea This Way? by Mindlog: 6:19am On Mar 29, 2020
It is a learned behaviour we picked from our older ones and still modelling it to our younger ones.

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious Cake Pictures / How To Make Fruit Juice? / Where Can I Buy Raisins In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.