Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,675 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage (1612 Views)

1 Year After Marriage, I Am Already Tired / Lawyers Advise Women To Drop Maiden Name After Marriage / Man Marries Lady Impregnated By Another Man. Finds Out After Marriage (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Ojeremiyanu(f): 11:35am On Mar 24, 2020
Everyone has an idea as to why they keep their name as is and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Nonetheless, one of the top things to think about post-wedding day is a Change of Name.
Follow this link https://www.changeofnamenigeria.com/blogs/read/7 to learn more about this.

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by fulaniHERDSman(m): 12:14pm On Mar 24, 2020
Then it's not Marriage as we know it. Anyway marriage is not by force. You can be a baby mama and still retain your maiden name. Only a lazy, hungry and greedy man will agree to such setup.
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by sanesta: 12:21pm On Mar 24, 2020
Imagine you bearing different surname from your husband and child(ren)

Not cool.

1 Like

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by uboma(m): 2:14pm On Mar 24, 2020
sanesta:
Imagine you bearing different surname from your husband and child(ren)

Not cool.

Keeping her maiden name does not mean that she will not bear her husband's name.

For instance;

Cindy Olurotimi Buhari

The Olurotimi is her maiden name while Buhari is her husband's name.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by uboma(m): 2:15pm On Mar 24, 2020
fulaniHERDSman:
Then it's not Marriage as we know it. Anyway marriage is not by force. You can be a baby mama and still retain your maiden name. Only a lazy, hungry and greedy man will agree to such setup.

I disagree with you.

4 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by sanesta: 6:38pm On Mar 24, 2020
uboma:

Keeping her maiden name does not mean that she will not bear her husband's name.

For instance;

Cindy Olurotimi Buhari

The Olurotimi is her maiden name while Buhari is her husband's name.
It's cool then.
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 7:34pm On Mar 24, 2020
The kind of knock i would give her will make her brain to undergo factory reset. She will tell me if she is married to her father or me.

WHAT KIND OF NONSENSE?? angry

1 Like

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 11:37pm On Mar 24, 2020
LIVINGICON:
The kind of knock i would give her will make her brain to undergo factory reset. She will tell me if she is married to her father or me.

what benefits will your surname offer her?

Will it take her to high places or open doors for her.

A woman's husband's name must be better than her father's name for her to change it to his.

If his surname has no legacy, then maybe she should not adopt it. It is only poor men that take this matter seriously.

You cannot see Ned NWOKO or ELUMELU, UBAH, or dangote arguing about things like this.

6 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 3:21am On Mar 25, 2020
funmisticqueen2:

A woman's husband's name must be better than her father's name for her to change it to his.

If his surname has no legacy, then maybe she should not adopt it. It is only poor men that take this matter seriously.

You cannot see Ned NWOKO or ELUMELU, UBAH, or dangote arguing about things like this.
ogbeni rich men do worse. Nwoko initiated the babe into a delta traditional society if she dares cheat she don die be that o. Meanwhile nwoko can still be fucking other women. If 2 women divorced dangote despite his wealth. Its a pointer to his kind of person. If a woman cannot change her name. Baby mama option dey after all d man paid bride price

3 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 8:12am On Mar 25, 2020
Kekereekun123:
ogbeni rich men do worse. Nwoko initiated the babe into a delta traditional society if she dares cheat she don die be that o. Meanwhile nwoko can still be fucking other women. If 2 women divorced dangote despite his wealth. Its a pointer to his kind of person. If a woman cannot change her name. Baby mama option dey after all d man paid bride price
those are just two examples.

It's worse off if a poor man mistreats his wife and still expects her to carry his name. What legacy does he have?

2 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 25, 2020
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by kazyhm(m): 10:17am On Mar 25, 2020
funmisticqueen2:
those are just two examples.

It's worse off if a poor man mistreats his wife and still expects her to carry his name. What legacy does he have?

Woman can justify nonsense....

He already make your perspective pointless........if your husband's name is influential, you'll adopt but if your father's is more influential, you'll retain it...........retard sense.

Going by your perspective, the social value of the name is the determinant.

2 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by lilmax(m): 10:31am On Mar 25, 2020
As long as your weak husband is okay with it
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by crackkhaus: 11:20am On Mar 25, 2020
Personally, I have no issues with this.
I mean, what's my business?

As long as the children are bearing ONLY my name/surname, there's really no problem.

Since she wants to be the odd one out, then have at it.

5 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by uboma(m): 12:01pm On Mar 25, 2020
lilmax:
As long as your weak husband is okay with it

A man, who agrees to have his wife retain her maiden name, is not a weakling.

How does retaining her maiden name affect the marriage?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Mizwisdom(f): 12:43pm On Mar 25, 2020
LIVINGICON:

Why are you a violent person? what if she stabs you in the process all because of a disagreement? if you're not flexible and open minded you're not ready for marriage

2 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Winneygirl(f): 12:51pm On Mar 25, 2020
Some people dont really care.
A great marriage is not defined by name change.
Whatever works for you.

1 Like

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Omar09(m): 12:52pm On Mar 25, 2020
I'm thinking, if a lady is about to tie the knot with let's say, Timipere Silva's son, will she wanna keep her own maiden name?
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by lilmax(m): 1:29pm On Mar 25, 2020
uboma:

A man, who agrees to have his wife retain her maiden name, is not a weakling.

How does retaining her maiden name affect the marriage?
he's a hero to you

he's a WEAK soul to me

Perspectives, respect it
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by ednut1(m): 1:30pm On Mar 25, 2020
Omar09:
I'm thinking, if a lady is about to tie the knot with let's say, Timipere Silva's son, will she wanna keep her own maiden name?
no
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by uboma(m): 1:33pm On Mar 25, 2020
lilmax:
he's a hero to you

he's a WEAK soul to me

Perspectives, respect it

Perspectives indeed!

You need to come out of your shell. The world is moving forward but you choose to remain far behind.

2 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 2:11pm On Mar 25, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Why are you a violent person? what if she stabs you in the process all because of a disagreement? if you're not flexible abs open minded you're not ready for marriage

When a woman is ready to marry, she should be ready to drop her maiden name as well. She has become mine and i have also become hers. No third party. And what makes you feel i am not married already.

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 25, 2020
funmisticqueen2:

It seems there is atomic bomb in your head.
Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by HeyHey(f): 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2020
Please change the name, it will make your husband love you more, especially if he will foot the bills of the name change. That being said let me share my own experience

Before i got married I had international passport, NIN number, BVN, etc you get, i had a whole lot of IDs. On changing my name, Bank requested I bring an ID in my husbands name, along with my newspaper publication, affidavit TO enable me change my name on my BVN. (What led to this, I wanted to do trust fund for kids and they said I cant be a signatory bc my name is not the one on my BVN). NOW, to change name on my NIN is 5k, to change name on my passport is 50k, and after changing the BVN name my salary will be affected for some months. Na so Uncle say mk i leave am o, till we are settled enough to afford such documentations. Though the name is changed, my documents still bear my maiden name bc no money to change them yet.

However if you dont have to go through this process, change your name please. And you can apply for all documents in your husbands name (then change your BVN name too). It will mean alot to him.

Another point I know is if you are an only child or from an all-female family. They rarely change their name to protect their fathers legacy. And that should be agreed on before marriage

3 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by genq(m): 2:36pm On Mar 25, 2020
Look at these hags acting like their doing their husband a favour by adopting his name grin

Keep your father's name na abi what value does it add to your husband's life undecided By bearing your father's name, is it not a man's name you are still bearing? So much for matriarchy! grin

In fact, I insist that you keep your father's name, then your children must bear your father's name alongside your husband's - you must also encourage your offspring to do the same - so that 4 generations down the line, your great grand daughter's name would be Atinuke Adebola-Olagoke-Ariyibi-Ayinfele-Matthews

Nonsense.

7 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 4:08pm On Mar 25, 2020
If a woman insist on keeping her husband's name by all means do. As long as he kids bear my name that's fine. It will make it easier for men who marry liabilities to distance themselves from her without much stain to their name.

1 Like

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by crackkhaus: 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2020
genq:
Look at these hags acting like their doing their husband a favour by adopting his name grin

Keep your father's name na abi what value does it add to your husband's life undecided By bearing your father's name, is it not a man's name you are still bearing? So much for matriarchy! grin

In fact, I insist that you keep your father's name, then your children must bear your father's name alongside your husband's - you must also encourage your offspring to do the same - so that 4 generations down the line, your great grand daughter's name would be Atinuke Adebola-Olagoke-Ariyibi-Ayinfele-Matthews

Nonsense.
cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by crackkhaus: 5:30pm On Mar 25, 2020
Gaggi:
If a woman insist on keeping her husband's name by all means do. As long as the kids bear my name that's fine. It will make it easier for men who marry liabilities to distance themselves from her without much stain to their name.
They still don't understand that some men will always have an antidote to their madness, whatever brand it comes in.

Always one step ahead...

4 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Nobody: 6:01pm On Mar 25, 2020
I am surely keeping my maiden name after marriage

4 Likes

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by suzzyrims: 6:34pm On Mar 25, 2020
funmisticqueen2:

If his surname has no legacy, then maybe she should not adopt it. It is only poor men that take this matter seriously

Very true. You couldn't have said it better.

1 Like

Re: Keeping My Maiden Name After Marriage by Ryan03(f): 9:29pm On Mar 25, 2020
Na wa o, its like people dont date anymore. Let's forget these whole love and feelings nonsense, before marriage, you and your partner should talk about things that affect you guys, your likes and dislikes etc. That way, you guys will trash thses issues, there is someone for everyone, marry a person that share your likes and your have same reasoning with you.

My sister got married and didnt change her name because of the many documents she had before marriage, it will be too stressful and like 1-2 months salary might be affected. In church, she is addressed by her husbands name but in her documents, it still remains her maiden names. Funny the husband don't even care, this is their 10yr of being married and the marriage has not crashed because she refused to change name.

Abeg eh, make una dey talk before marriage so that if your partner nor dey on the same level to you, you go check if you fit compromise or not. If you can't compromise, pack your things and leave, there is someone with the same mindset as you. All these arguments nor make sense

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Why I Stop Looking For A Caring Woman / Non-supportive Husband / What's The Reason You Became A Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.