Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,723 members, 7,851,476 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:16 PM

Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah (1007 Views)

Rev King To Die By Hanging: Supreme-Court Orders / Supreme Court Upholds Rev King's Death Sentence / Supreme Court Favours Emeka, Assemblies Of God Church General Superintendent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah by abdulg: 11:36am On Jun 05, 2007
Jihad - Supreme Efforts in the Way of Allah

Jihad means, exerting one's utmost power contending with an object of disapprobation, and this is of three kinds, namely, (1) with a visible enemy, (2) with Satan, and (3) with one's self.

The Quran teaches that when war breaks out, it should be waged in such a way as to cause the least possible amount of damage to life and property; and that hostilities should be brought to a close as quickly as possible.

22:40 Permission to fight is given to those against whom war is made, because they have been wronged - and Allah indeed has power to help them -

22:41 Those who have been driven out from their homes unjustly only because they said, 'Our Lord is Allah' - And if Allah did not repel some men by means of others, there would surely have been pulled down cloisters and churches and synagogues and mosques, wherein the name of Allah is oft commemorated. And Allah will surely help one who helps Him. Allah is indeed Powerful, Mighty -

60:9 Allah forbids you not, respecting those who have not fought against you on account of your religion, and who have not driven you forth from your homes, that you be kind to them and act equitably towards them; surely Allah loves those who are equitable.

60:10 Allah only forbids you - respecting those who have fought against you on account of your religion, and have driven you out of your homes, and have helped others in driving you out, that you make friends of them, and whosoever makes friends of them-it is these that are the transgressors.

61:11 O ye who believe! shall I point out to you a bargain that will save you from a painful punishment?

61:12 That you believe in Allah and His Messenger, and strive in the cause of Allah with your wealth and your persons. That is better for you, if you did not know.

29:70 And as for those who strive in Our path-We will surely guide them in Our ways. And verily Allah is with those who do good.

9:20 Those who believe and emigrate from their homes for the sake of God and strive in the cause of Allah with their property and their persons have the highest rank in the sight of Allah. And it is they who shall triumph.

9:111 Surely, Allah has purchased of the believers their persons and their property in return for the Garden they shall have; they fight in the cause of Allah, and they slay and are slain - a promise that He has made incumbent on Himself in the Torah, and the Gospel, and the Qur'an. And who is more faithful to his promise than Allah? Rejoice, then, in your bargain which you have made with Him; and that it is which is the supreme triumph.

4:96 Those of the believers who sit still, excepting the disabled ones, and those who strive in the cause of Allah with their wealth and their persons, are not equal. Allah has exalted in rank those who strive with their wealth and their persons above those who sit still. And to each Allah has promised good. And Allah has exalted those who strive above those who sit still, by a great reward.
Re: Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah by barikade: 1:43pm On Jun 08, 2007
abdulg:

Jihad - Supreme Efforts in the Way of Allah

Jihad means, exerting one's utmost power contending with an object of disapprobation, and this is of three kinds, namely, (1) with a visible enemy, (2) with Satan, and (3) with one's self.

The Quran teaches that when war breaks out, it should be waged in such a way as to cause the least possible amount of damage to life and property; and that hostilities should be brought to a close as quickly as possible.

There are other meanings of jihad that need to be addressed, especially the aspect of armed military warfare.

One may be willing to take your persuasion of non-hostility if only that is what Muhammad taught. However, it is clear that Muhammad did not believe in his own tenets and was hostile to his last breath against Christians and Jews. The result of that hostility is still evident today in the Muslim mindset of the Middle Easterners who want to see Israel destroyed!
Re: Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah by TellyB(m): 7:46am On Jun 09, 2007
@abdulg,

What about the meaning of jihad as pointing to Islamic military warfare?
Re: Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah by babs787(m): 6:08pm On Jun 12, 2007
@bari_kade

There are other meanings of jihad that need to be addressed, especially the aspect of armed military warfare.

Can you please serve me the other meanings?

One may be willing to take your persuasion of non-hostility if only that is what Muhammad taught. However, it is clear that Muhammad did not believe in his own tenets and was hostile to his last breath against Christians and Jews. The result of that hostility is still evident today in the Muslim mindset of the Middle Easterners who want to see Israel destroyed!

You make me laugh with this your non-hostility. Did Muhammed kill christians during his time and in all honesty, can you tell me why muslims fought during his time and when you are through with that, other issues will come in from your bible.

Thanks

@Telly B

@abdulg,

What about the meaning of jihad as pointing to Islamic military warfare?

Let us have the verses please and the reason behind the verses. When you finish serving me, I will take you to some verses in the bible where Jesus ordered the killing of everything that breathes including kids and animals and we will look into why some violent acts in the bible.
Re: Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah by barikade: 7:02pm On Jun 12, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

Muslim translators in their commentaries point to the meaning of Jihad as including armed/military warfare; not just as retaliation - but just so that Islam may be established through those armed warfare. Besides, the commentators actually believe that this idea of Jihad is binding upon ALL Muslims; so that even those Muslims who are opposed to such an idea are considered hypocrites.

My persuasions above are taken from the footnote on The Noble Qur'an, Sura 2:190 --

"Jihad is holy fighting in Allah's Cause with full force of numbers and weaponry.
It is given the utmost importance in Islam and is one of its pillars.
By Jihad Islam is established, Allah's Word is made superior (which means only Allah
has the right to be worshiped), and Islam is propagated.

By abandoning Jihad Islam is destroyed and Muslims fall into an inferior position;
their honor is lost, their lands are stolen, their rule and authority vanish.
Jihad is an obligatory duty in Islam on every Muslim. He who tries to escape from this duty,
or does not fulfill this duty, dies as a hypocrite."

babs787:

You make me laugh with this your non-hostility. Did Muhammed kill christians during his time and in all honesty, can you tell me why muslims fought during his time and when you are through with that, other issues will come in from your bible.

Can I answer your question with these, so that we can focus on what is at stake here: why do Muslims today often refer to the West as "Christian" with such hate? And what did Muhammad actually mean in his several pronouncements against the Jews? Why does Islam seek to kill a Muslim convert to Christianity or any other religion according to its teachings?

babs787:

Let us have the verses please and the reason behind the verses. When you finish serving me, I will take you to some verses in the bible where Jesus ordered the killing of everything that breathes including kids and animals and we will look into why some violent acts in the bible.

I hope you'll be gentlemanly about this and not have to copy and paste repeatedly the same verses which have already been addressed in another thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-53042.96.html#msg1196207
Re: Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah by babs787(m): 8:33pm On Jun 12, 2007
@Barikade

@babs787,

Quote from: babs787 on Today at 06:08:22 PM

Muslim translators in their commentaries point to the meaning of Jihad as including armed/military warfare; not just as retaliation - but just so that Islam may be established through those armed warfare. Besides, the commentators actually believe that this idea of Jihad is binding upon ALL Muslims; so that even those Muslims who are opposed to such an idea are considered hypocrites.

Okay, we shall read on for verification

My persuasions above are taken from the footnote on The Noble Qur'an, Sura 2:190 --

"Jihad is holy fighting in Allah's Cause with full force of numbers and weaponry.
It is given the utmost importance in Islam and is one of its pillars.
By Jihad Islam is established, Allah's Word is made superior (which means only Allah
has the right to be worshiped), and Islam is propagated.

By abandoning Jihad Islam is
destroyed and Muslims fall into an inferior position;
their honor is lost, their lands are stolen, their rule and authority vanish.
Jihad is an obligatory duty in Islam on every Muslim. He who tries to escape from this duty,
or does not fulfill this duty, dies as a hypocrite."

Thanks brother. I have seen it too. Jihad there did not include only taking up arms for defence but also any good deeds in the cause of Allah. Now go to the second paragraph and without being biased, it is clearly understood that Jihad mentioned there is for self defence when a muslim land is usurped, muslim is allowed to fight the opperessed.

Now for better understanding, I will provide you some verses on the meaning of jihad

Jihad by preaching word of Allah

Quran 25 v 52: So obey not the disbelievers but strive against them (by preaching) with utmost endeavors with it (the Quran)

Quran 22 v 78: And strive hard in Allah's cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all you efforts that his name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey his message of Islamic monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion of Islam) and Has not laid upon you a religion of any hardship.

The above verse is saying that Jihad is performed through preaching ALLAH's word.

Quran 8 v 72: Verily, those who believed and emigrated and strove and fought with their property and their lives in the cause of Allah as well as those who gave ( them) assylum and help, these are (all) allies to one another and as to those who believe but did not emigrate (to you o Muhammed) you owe no duty of protection to them until they emigrate but if they seek your help in religion, it is your duty to help them except against a people with whom you have a treaty of mutual alliance and Allah is the All seer of what you do.

I can go on but will stop there.

Can I answer your question with these, so that we can focus on what is at stake here: why do Muslims today often refer to the West as "Christian" with such hate? And what did Muhammad actually mean in his several pronouncements against the Jews? Why does Islam seek to kill a Muslim convert to Christianity or any other religion according to its teachings?

why do Muslims today often refer to the West as "Christian" with such hate

Can you back it up with verses from the Quran/Hadith

And what did Muhammad actually mean in his several pronouncements against the Jews?

Brother, have you found out the reason behind hatred against Islam by the Jews?

Why does Islam seek to kill a Muslim convert to Christianity or any other religion according to its teachings?

Let me have the verses please

I hope you'll be gentlemanly about this and not have to copy and paste repeatedly the same verses which have already been addressed in another thread: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-53042.96.html#msg1196207

I will surely respond to the link you supplied.
Re: Jihad - Supreme Efforts In The Way Of Allah by barikade: 8:48pm On Jun 12, 2007
@babs787,

babs787:

Thanks brother. I have seen it too. Jihad there did not include only taking up arms for defence but also any good deeds in the cause of Allah. Now go to the second paragraph and without being biased, it is clearly understood that Jihad mentioned there is for self defence when a muslim land is usurped, muslim is allowed to fight the opperessed.

I understand that Jihad has various meanings in Islamic theology. Please refer to my response to the thread starter: my concerns were in reference to the other meaning that he did not mention at all.

The second paragraph that you are calling attention to does not nullify what was stated before it:

has the right to be worshiped), and Islam is propagated

I'm asking a basic question here: does Islam have to be established by weaponry and force of numbers? What does that say about the "no compulsion in religion"?

babs787:

Now for better understanding, I will provide you some verses on the meaning of jihad

Jihad by preaching word of Allah

Quran 25 v 52: So obey not the disbelievers but strive against them (by preaching) with utmost endeavors with it (the Quran)

Quran 22 v 78: And strive hard in Allah's cause as you ought to strive (with sincerity and with all you efforts that his name should be superior). He has chosen you (to convey his message of Islamic monotheism to mankind by inviting them to His religion of Islam) and Has not laid upon you a religion of any hardship.

The above verse is saying that Jihad is performed through preaching ALLAH's word.

Quran 8 v 72: Verily, those who believed and emigrated and strove and fought with their property and their lives in the cause of Allah as well as those who gave ( them) assylum and help, these are (all) allies to one another and as to those who believe but did not emigrate (to you o Muhammed) you owe no duty of protection to them until they emigrate but if they seek your help in religion, it is your duty to help them except against a people with whom you have a treaty of mutual alliance and Allah is the All seer of what you do.

I can go on but will stop there.

Is that all there is to the meaning of Jihad? Please again refer above and see that I'm concerned about this practice of Muslims telling only partially the story and not being open to acknowledge discussions quite simply for what they are. Again, is the other meaning of Jihad outlined above not a fundamental pillar of Islam?

babs787:

Can you back it up with verses from the Quran/Hadith

I'm referring to a factual attitude of Muslims towards the West: is that something that does not exist at all?

babs787:

Brother, have you found out the reason behind hatred against Islam by the Jews?

Maybe I have my views; but I'm still asking questions and trying to understand what is at stake between both faiths. Yet, I simply want to understand how it is that Muhammad made several pronouncements as hinted earlier against the Jews.

babs787:

Let me have the verses please

Babs787, I don't know if you're deliberately trying to deny the obvious, or you simply are not aware. Please what do you make of the following report? --

"The Prophet Muhammad has said several times that those who convert from Islam
should be killed if they refuse to come back," says Ansarullah Mawlafizada, the trial judge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/4841334.stm

Was the Judge wrong; or was that statement his personally opinion?

(1) (Reply)

Your Miracle Is On The Way! God Will Do It For You! Is This The Gospel Of Jesus? / The Serpent - Entwined Egg / A Powerful Vision I Was Given To Share With The People Of God: Please Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.