Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 (37691 Views)

Heritage Ajibola: OAU Student Dies After Falling Into Septic Tank In Her Hostel / I Remain UNILAG VC - Ogundipe Says As Details Emerge Of Why He Was Sacked / UNILAG Sacks Toyin Ogundipe As Vice Chancellor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Antoeni(m): 11:22pm On Mar 29, 2020
OBITUARY
Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe
MAY 6, 1927 – MARCH 27, 2020

Phebean Ogundipe, nee Itayemi, was born in Esa-Oke, Osun (Formerly Oyo) state in Nigeria on May 6th, 1927. She had her elementary education in Esa-oke and Imesi-Ile. She attended Queen’s College, Yaba, Lagos on a full scholarship for her secondary education and then proceeded to University of St Andrews, Scotland to obtain her degree in English (M.A. Hons).

Upon completion of her studies, she pursued a career in education. She started her career in the Federal Ministry of Education. In service to the ministry of education, she served in different schools as an English teacher. While on assignment to teach English, at Queen’s College, Ede, she met her soon-to-be-husband, Adebayo Ogundipe. Other notable roles she served in were Deputy Chief Federal Adviser on Education, National Secretary for UNESCO and she was the Acting Director in the Federal Ministry of Education at the time of her retirement.

Her passion for English education in children inspired her to author many children’s story books that emphasized morals. She also thought that children needed to be properly taught the English language. This desire birthed the well-known books, Brighter Grammar (for elementary school) and Practical English (for junior and senior secondary schools). Upon retirement from public service, she co-founded a remedial educational institution, Top Tutors. In 1979 she received the National Honor of Officer of the Order of the Niger (OON). In addition, in 2019, she funded the building of the N30m+ multi-purpose Itayemi Hall in Esa-oke Grammar School.

She enthusiastically shared her love of literary and performing arts, cooking, languages, traveling, world cultures and needlework with all. She was hard-working well past retirement, continuing revisions to her renowned English textbooks as well as lending her editing skills to friends and family free of charge. Seven years shy of a century of life, she was the blessed mother of four sons and ten grandchildren. She was an adopted mother and grandmother as well to many others, and renowned for her generosity and selflessness. She will be greatly missed.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/charlotte-nc/phebean-ogundipe-9100817

105 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Officialgarri: 11:26pm On Mar 29, 2020
Na dis woman write Brighter grammar? shocked

It was as though my mum used that book as a punishment for me when I was little.

If I talked too much, danced too much, ate too much, played too much...... She would tell me to go bring my brighter grammar or queen's primer cry

Even after reading the book, my mum would ask me to start from the first page again. cry

Then I'll start ;
A cat
A fat cat
A fat cat sat on a mat
..... cry cry

Lalasticlala mynd44 Seun did you read this book too?

472 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Antoeni(m): 11:28pm On Mar 29, 2020
RIP Ma ,Indomie Generation & Marlians Will Not Understand

293 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Shellsploit: 11:31pm On Mar 29, 2020
RIP... sad

And i just finished reading the standard edition i borrowed from my neighbour.

Abeg who get the PDF version sef

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by RiyaGoddess(f): 11:37pm On Mar 29, 2020
Waoooh brighter grammar really helped lots of kids in my generation...

Sun Re Mama.

159 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by delishpot: 11:41pm On Mar 29, 2020
Officialgarri:

It was as though my mum used that book as a punishment for me when I was little.

If I talked too much, danced too much, ate too much, played too much...... She would tell me to go bring my brighter grammar or queen's primer cry

Even after reading the book, my mum would ask me to start from the first page again. cry

Then I'll start ;
A cat
A fat cat
A fat cat sat on a mat
..... cry cry

That was Queens primer na

107 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by dawnomike(m): 11:59pm On Mar 29, 2020
Brigther grammer... That english textbook back then just seemed top advance for each class! I only enjoyed the illustrative pictures back then grin

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Abbeyme: 12:03am On Mar 30, 2020
All the while, I use to think P A Ogundipe was a man. I used the New Practical English textbook from Form 1 to SS3. Even the brighter grammar series was dusted from back to back.

Great books.

May her intelligent spirit rest in great peace.

166 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by funshint(m): 12:15am On Mar 30, 2020
Wow...what a star.! A life really well lived. RIP mama!!!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by 2special(m): 12:40am On Mar 30, 2020
I read Brighter Grammar 1-4.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Officialgarri: 12:45am On Mar 30, 2020
delishpot:

That was Queens primer na

I can't tell which, but I mentioned both books in my previous comment

64 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by maxbj(m): 4:50am On Mar 30, 2020
Rest in peace mama. U av done ur part.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Nobody: 6:00am On Mar 30, 2020
Time well spent. Rest on .

9 Likes

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by femi4: 6:26am On Mar 30, 2020
Officialgarri:

Then I'll start ;
A cat
A fat cat
A fat cat sat on a mat
..... cry cry

Indomie boy....Brighter Grammar is tougher than that. That's queens primer

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by ValCon888: 6:31am On Mar 30, 2020
This woman singlehandedly helped millions of Nigerians speak proper English.
May your soul rest in peace Ma.

62 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by EvilPOTATO(m): 6:33am On Mar 30, 2020
Wow has to be the best book that ever came out of Nigeria.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Officialgarri: 6:59am On Mar 30, 2020
femi4:
Indomie boy....Brighter Grammar is tougher than that. That's queens primer

Did you see where I mentioned Queen's primer or you just want to jump in my conversation?

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by aycorporat(m): 7:19am On Mar 30, 2020
I have always tried to find out the person behind this book. So it was Mama? Another version of New General Mathematics and Lacommbe's Mathematics as Brighter Grammar was as tough as these two books with diagrams to accompany it.
Sleep well mama as you helped kids in our generation then.

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by TUANKU(m): 7:30am On Mar 30, 2020
RIP to this Legend.

5 Likes

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Tonymegabush1(m): 7:36am On Mar 30, 2020
Lovely book very educative though we did more on macmillian then i do borrow this book 4rm my frnd 4rm another skul to read....

Rest on...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by edoairways: 8:06am On Mar 30, 2020
Officialgarri:

Then I'll start ;
A cat
A fat cat
A fat cat sat on a mat
..... cry cry

Hmmm!
Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Eriggs: 8:15am On Mar 30, 2020
Reminiscent time........RIP Mama. A life well lived. Thank you for imparting Nigerians lives from childhood.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by UnknownQueen(f): 8:15am On Mar 30, 2020
Rest in peace... Mama rere

3 Likes

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Alwaysachick: 8:15am On Mar 30, 2020
R
Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by fergie001: 8:15am On Mar 30, 2020
I doubt if anyone in the 90s didn't use any of those books.

Life well lived,Ma

God rest her soul.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 30, 2020
People just throwing money everywhere... Even davash222 the notorious women basher begged from a lady he bashes frequently..

Nawa ooo... Hunger had made alpha men beg for bread from ladies

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Nobody: 8:16am On Mar 30, 2020
Ripe age

2 Likes

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Yenefer(f): 8:16am On Mar 30, 2020
Shellsploit:
RIP... sad

And i just finished reading the standard edition i borrowed from my neighbour.

Abeg who get the PDF version sef
Google

1 Like

Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by tempem: 8:17am On Mar 30, 2020
Re: Phebean Ajibola Ogundipe Dies At 92 by Nobody: 8:17am On Mar 30, 2020
Officialgarri:

Then I'll start ;
A cat
A fat cat
A fat cat sat on a mat
..... cry cry

LOL....I guess they used it....we all did

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

No Resumption Date Yet For Schools / Ahmadu Bello University Zaria Admission List / University Of Nigeria 'UNN' Dropout Made A Lecturer By Hong Kong University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.