Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,507 members, 7,861,447 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:33 PM

First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. (820 Views)

Norway 33 Elderly People Die Within Days Of Receiving First Covid19 Vaccine Dose / Coronavirus: Dr. Amarachukwu Karen Allison Who Suspected Index Case In Nigeria / Coronavirus: Suspected Case In Enugu Tests Negative (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by Amya(f): 7:46am On Mar 31, 2020
The first Covid19 case was just 5 days before the first Covid19 case in Nigeria. Yet at present the US has over a 160,000 case and over 3000 deaths whilst Nigeria is presently at 131 with just 2 death. Such huge disparity!

Some people believe that the cases reported are much lower than the actual cases at the moment and while that can be true, the cases around will still be in its hundreds. Anything short of that will have had people around us dropping like flies after having pneumonia-like symptoms and difficulty in breathing.

I believe that our transmission rate is really low for whatever reason. Maybe the heat, maybe our DNA? ( most definitely NOT because of government policies) It's been over one month since the first case was reported in Nigeria and if we've managed to control it to this very minimal rate, then we will surely beat the virus. It took same 1 month for US to go from 1 to hundreds of thousands.

So all those pessimists going from thread to thread talking about an impending explosion of the infection rate in Nigeria should know that if it would have the exploded, 1 month is an ample time for it to have done so like it did in some other countries. I'm hopeful that we will beat this.

PS. I honestly do not believe all of these high profile people coming out to say they've been infected with the virus. I think it's an arrangement to demystify the disease and make people with symptoms more willing to report themselves to the authorities. If you understand statistics, you'll know the chances of these people having it as against the standing case (of 131 as at today) and the population of Nigeria (200m) is almost non-existent.

Stay safe guys and stay home. Las Las we'll be fine.

2 Likes

Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by tempem: 7:48am On Mar 31, 2020
One of the plausible explanations is that, many are being tested in the U.S., than in Nigeria...

1 Like

Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by viccipedia: 7:50am On Mar 31, 2020
Lol, you should be scared! I said it severally that the Italian man story was a hoax. Plus we lack a whole lot in terms of medicine and laboratory here.
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by mployer(m): 7:54am On Mar 31, 2020
Nigeria has done less than 1000 tests and recorded 131 cases.

US has done 1million tests and recorded 160, 000 cases.

Do the maths. undecided

2 Likes

Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by sonofthunder: 7:58am On Mar 31, 2020
Amya:
The first Covid19 case was just 5 days before the first Covid19 case in Nigeria. Yet at present the US has over a 160,000 case and over 3000 deaths whilst Nigeria is presently at 131 with just 2 death. Such huge disparity!

Some people believe that the cases reported are much lower than the actual cases at the moment and while that can be true, the cases around will still be in its hundreds. Anything short of that will have had people around us dropping like flies after having pneumonia-like symptoms and difficulty in breathing.

I believe that our transmission rate is really low for whatever reason. Maybe the heat, maybe our DNA? ( most definitely NOT because of government policies) It's been over one month since the first case was reported in Nigeria and if we've managed to control it to this very minimal rate, then we will surely beat the virus. It took same 1 month for US to go from 1 to hundreds of thousands.

So all those pessimists going from thread to thread talking about an impending explosion of the infection rate in Nigeria should know that if it would have the exploded, 1 month is an ample time for it to have done so like it did in some other countries. I'm hopeful that we will beat this.

PS. I honestly do not believe all of these high profile people coming out to say they've been infected with the virus. I think it's an arrangement to demystify the disease and make people with symptoms more willing to report themselves to the authorities. If you understand statistics, you'll know the chances of these people having it as against the standing case (of 131 as at today) and the population of Nigeria (200m) is almost non-existent.

Stay safe guys and stay home. Las Las we'll be fine.
Do you have people around you dying mysteriously or who are down with more than 50% of the covid 19 corona virus symptoms?

1 Like

Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by sonofthunder: 7:59am On Mar 31, 2020
mployer:
Nigeria has done less 1000 tests and recorded 131 cases.

Do the maths. undecided
This is very poor and baseless analysis. What if the US conducts 20million tests, how many cases do you recon they will have?
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by Sonfethopia: 7:59am On Mar 31, 2020
Stay at home chikena
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by mployer(m): 8:02am On Mar 31, 2020
sonofthunder:

This is very poor and baseless analysis. What if the US conducts 20million tests, how many cases do you recon they will have?

You don't know maths. It's that simple.

Yes I said so if you can't find a correlation between the number of tests and recorded cases.
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by breeze23: 8:02am On Mar 31, 2020
mployer:

Do the maths. undecided
what of death rate? Nigeria 2 and us over 3000
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:08am On Mar 31, 2020
breeze23:
Does Nigeria record deaths? People could be dying and not why, and just think it could be malaria.
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by mployer(m): 8:08am On Mar 31, 2020
breeze23:

2,900 deaths from 160,000 comfirmed cases.

2 deaths from 131 comfirmed cases.

The stats are almost the same.

Truth is people are dying everyday in Nigeria and we don't know what is killing them, because they are not comfirmed to be covid19 positive.
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by Amya(f): 8:10am On Mar 31, 2020
mployer:

Do the maths. undecided

Do you honestly believe Nigeria has tens of thousands of Covid19 infected people running around? The US clearly has high transmission and infection rate and has a reason to have done over a million tests going through exactly same process as Nigera. The criteria for testing in the US are

1. If a person had travel history to affected areas and or
2. If a person had close physical contact to an already infected person.

Randoms with non of the above are not eligible for the tests. US with its over 300 million population had only managed to test less than 1% of its population. So I hope you understand that the high test rate in the US is simply because of its high transmission rate.
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by Amya(f): 8:12am On Mar 31, 2020
mployer:

2,900 deaths from 160,000 comfirmed cases.

2 deaths from 131 comfirmed cases.

The stats are almost the same.

Truth is people are dying everyday in Nigeria and we don't know what is killing them, because they are not comfirmed to be covid19 positive.

Covid19 doesn't just kill, people suffer from it's symptoms first. Who around you just died from Covid-like symptoms? Let's start from.there first.

4 Likes

Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by Amya(f): 8:14am On Mar 31, 2020
sonofthunder:

Do you have people around you dying mysteriously or who are down with more than 50% of the covid 19 corona virus symptoms?
No!
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by mployer(m): 8:15am On Mar 31, 2020
Amya:

Do you honestly believe Nigeria has tens of thousands of Covid19 infected people running around? The US clearly has high transmission and infection rate and has a reason to have done over a million tests going through exactly same process as Nigera. The criteria for testing in the US are

1. If a person had travel history to affected areas and or
2. If a person had close physical contact to an already infected person.

Randoms with non of the above are not eligible for the tests. US with its over 300 million population had only managed to test less than 1% of its population. So I hope you understand that the high test rate in the US is simply because of its high transmission rate.

US did 1million test not because of high infection rate, but because they could afford it.

Nigeria couldn't do much test because they couldn't afford it. NCDC said a single test costs them about 10k to do. And the available reagents for the tests are limited.
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by Upton: 8:22am On Mar 31, 2020
Not true. According to worldometer, the first reported case in the US was January 20th while Nigeria's was February 27th. That's more than a month apart

3 Likes

Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by udoka55555: 8:58am On Mar 31, 2020
You guys ate confusing me
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by ImmaculateJOE(m): 9:16am On Mar 31, 2020
Upton:
Not true. According to worldometer, the first reported case in the US was January 20th while Nigeria's was February 27th. That's more than a month apart

You're correct
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by sonofthunder: 2:10pm On Mar 31, 2020
mployer:

You don't know maths. It's that simple.

Yes I said so if you can't find a correlation between the number of tests and recorded cases.
You are shooting yourself in the foot. According to you, the USA needs to conduct 200million more tests because more people than they've recorded are infected with the virus.
Re: First Covid19 Case In US Just 5 Days Before First Covid19 Case In Nigeria. by sonofthunder: 2:13pm On Mar 31, 2020
Amya:
No!
So why do you expect the FG to be testing more Nigerians??

(1) (Reply)

Depression Is Eating Me Up, I Need Help. / Want Full Beards? Here Are 5 Best Beard Oil For Black Men / What You Should Know About Sleeping On Your Left Side.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.