Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,849 members, 7,820,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests (19712 Views)

Salako Treasure, OAU 100-Level Student Commits Suicide (Photo) / How COVID-19 Tests Are Carried Out: 12 Things To Know - NCDC / Nigeria’s COVID-19 Tests Climbs Up To 8,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by seunfly: 5:17am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
See this man that called himself a professor speaking like a layman. So doctors should examine patients critically before refering them for malaria tests as well? Professor, just incase you have forgotten, the tests are meant to either confirm or negate suspicion of an ailmemt. It is a vital part of the diagnosis process.
Despite the number of negative results in the US and Uk (as examples) did you hear them advise doctors to stop referring people for tests? I am glad you mentioned that some were postive. What if the doctors of those positive ones allowed them to roam about? Professor, take your time o o. This is not the time to say rubbish if you have nothing tangible to say. Don't risk the lives of people because you want media attention.

Are u a doctor or health practitioner?
I guess u are not and that is why u are talking like that.
In medical diagnosis u ruled out suspicion by doing examination you could do before going extreem especially if confirmatiin of extreme could take longer time to get.

Imagine somebody suffering from simple but emmergency issue and you refused to assess that person u just refered him straigh for convid 19 test which may take days to get the test done and another days to get the result in Nigeria, the patient would have died before result is out and any well trained doctor would have avoided that by properly examining the pateint.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Nobody: 5:31am On Apr 06, 2020
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Fa44me: 5:34am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
See this man that called himself a professor speaking like a layman. So doctors should examine patients critically before refering them for malaria tests as well? Professor, just incase you have forgotten, the tests are meant to either confirm or negate suspicion of an ailmemt. It is a vital part of the diagnosis process.
Despite the number of negative results in the US and Uk (as examples) did you hear them advise doctors to stop referring people for tests? I am glad you mentioned that some were postive. What if the doctors of those positive ones allowed them to roam about? Professor, take your time o o. This is not the time to say rubbish if you have nothing tangible to say. Don't risk the lives of people because you want media attention.
Your statement is grossly stupid and very irresponsible.

Ahah, it's too early Mr/mrs. The prof. Said before people are sent for Covid19 test, they should be examined. There are other tests doctors can run on patients apart from CVID19 test. To me, the prof. had made a good point.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Bigpat: 5:42am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Bigpat: 5:48am On Apr 06, 2020
Why insulting the Prof,u don't have respect for elders,can u ever be a prof,u can air your view without been stupid
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by drnoel: 5:50am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:

Allow the charlatan. How do u examine a patient without protective clothes that will probably cough into Ur face.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by TruthSpeaker: 5:52am On Apr 06, 2020
IDIOT, WHY NOT GO EXAMEN THEM YOURSELF? DOES THE OFFICIAL GUIDELINE SAY PHYSICAL EXAMINATION IS A MUST? HOW MUCH OF PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENTS ARE GIVEN TO THE DOCTOR? YOU WANT THEM TO SACRIFICE THEIR LIVES AND BE CALLED AUDIO HEROS RIGHT? IS THERE ANY 50 YEARS PENSION FOR THE FAMILY OF A COVID-19 DOCTOR VICTIM? OF COURSE THERE IS ZERO COMPENSATION FOR THE FAMILY OF DOCTORS THAT WASTE THEIR LIVES IN THAT BLIND FIGHT.

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by dokiOloye(m): 5:55am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
The man spoke as if he's not a medical doctor.
He's probably has been out of clinical practice for long.

1 Like

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by thesicilian: 6:01am On Apr 06, 2020
It's like as soon as they put these people in positions of power they lose their sense of reasoning. So you see a suspected case of a highly infectious critical disease, you start doing critical examination, especially in our situation without PPE?! So that by the time the doctor is through, even he/she with the nurses would need to be tested? That's a very dumb thing to say in public.
Why not make the testing materials available to all doctors, or place them in strategic locations in all local government areas so that the doctors can do the testing themselves if you're overwhelmed? Other countries are encouraging their citizens to come forth voluntarily for testing and this one is complaining he's getting too many when he's not even testing up to 500 people per day!

1 Like

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Morningprince(m): 6:05am On Apr 06, 2020
speaking like a layman. So doctors should examine patients critically before refering them for malaria tests as well? Professor, just incase you have forgotten, the tests are meant to either confirm or negate suspicion of an ailmemt. It is a vital part of the diagnosis process.

He simply want the kits for test not to be wasted. Dr's understand what he's talking about.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Masculity(m): 6:05am On Apr 06, 2020
PipTick:
It's worrisome that everyone with similar symptoms wants a Covid-19 test.

Anything wrong with that?
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by dokiOloye(m): 6:08am On Apr 06, 2020
seunfly:

In medical diagnosis u ruled out suspicion by doing examination you could do before going extreem especially if confirmatiin of extreme could take longer time to get.

Imagine somebody suffering from simple but emmergency issue and you refused to assess that person u just refered him straigh for convid 19 test which may take days to get the test done and another days to get the result in Nigeria, the patient would have died before result is out and any well trained doctor would have avoided that by properly examining the pateint.
You have just spoken like a lab scientist or even a non health professional.
Info on ground suggests 95% of the infected will have only the typical flu symptoms which will resolve without any form of treatment, yet those ppl can still infect others including the elderly who are more at risk of developing serious illness and possibly dying,so tell me why doctors shouldn't test ppl who they reasonably suspect to have d illness,
FYI,d man is just trying to shift blame to d doctors when d situation is that govt doesn't have d capacity to test many ppl like others are doing.WHO is currently advocating testing of 100,000 ppl per day to help curb d spread of the disease.

2 Likes

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by thesicilian: 6:12am On Apr 06, 2020
Morningprince:

He simply want the kits for test not to be wasted. Dr's understand what he's talking about.
Actually we don't understand what he's talking about. He's talking rubbish.

6 Likes

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by ibnzubair(m): 6:17am On Apr 06, 2020
seunfly:

I beg to differ sir.
I'm sure no doctor (in his right mind) would send a patient with acute asthmatic attack, acute decompensated heart failure or metabolic acidosis for COVID 19 test, even though they present with respiratory symptoms.

That said, COVID 19 has rarely any examination features that distinguishes it from other barrage of upper respiratory illnesses, hence I think any patient with a history that hints to COVID 19 (especially travel history or contact with a high risk individual) should be sent for testing.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Chris2863(m): 6:30am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
You lack sense
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by backnbeta(f): 6:30am On Apr 06, 2020
They don't have PPE, abeg all they need to hear is the symptoms plus travel history or recent activities otherwise covid-19 will spread like wild fire if doctors and nurses are not careful. Prevention is better than cure! Once you guys rule out covid, the said patients can go back for upper respiratory track infection treatment undecided
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by hermesprogidy(m): 6:31am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
In an ideal situation, you would be correct. But do you know how much those PCR test kits for covid 19 cost? Do you know that despite all the noise about the FG releasing money to organizations like NIMR to fight Covid 19, not a single naira has come to them? The tests they are managing to provide pro bono is being supported by private foundations and not government, hence their testing capacity is very limited.
He spoke as an administrator living the reality of a resource poor setting. There's a lot going on under the table.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by danowena: 6:33am On Apr 06, 2020
seunfly:

This is where you are showing your ignorance and bringing the validity of your certificate to question (If indeed you are a medical professional, your competence is highly questionable). This is why some doctors in Nigeria do guess work instead of dotting the "i's" and crossing the "t's" by doing proper medical diagnosis and tests rather than guessing. I repeat and read it very well so that it sinks in : Tests are part of the diagnosis process to either confirm or refute what is suspected. I don't know how silly people can be. You need not go to medical school to know that it is better to confirm or eliminate a suspicion. By so doing, you know you next line of action with assurance.

Now to your emergency issue, which shows you know nothing about medicine. What you do is stabilise the person and treat for whatever you suspect but you do not prevent the person from going for the relevant test. Like I said, you are not in the field so let me give you a simple example to drive it into your head. A man is rushed to the hospital with high temperature (recurrent fever on a daily basis), vomiting, stomach pain and complaint of dizziness. This man even tells you that he slept in a mosquito infested area a week ago where he was bitten by mosquitoes. Now in this case, there are number of suspicions:
1. he has malaria
2. he has food poisoning (stomache pain)
3. he has ulcer (stomach pain)
4. he could even have appendicitis
5. Any other thing.

So what do we do, we ask him to go for tests without administering anything? No.
You take his vitals and proceed from there.
What can address temperature? a brand of paracetamol.
The stomach ache can be by a drug used to stabilise the PH level in the tummy (don't want to go into drug names so people don't go self medicating).
The dizziness can be addressed by passing an appropriate fluid to his system (drip).
You don't just treat him for malaria because you think it is most likely malaria.

You send his blood sample for test for malaria, ulcer,appendicitis and any other suspicion. When the test result is out is when you now commence proper and direct treatment to address whatever the test says is wrong.
If truly, you are a medical professional, you need to go back to your basics. I am sure you are not in the medical field or you are a pure charlatan.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Emmasnoop(m): 6:35am On Apr 06, 2020
Them they write am for face nor be with test you go know abi u want make them they test people for malaria.

1 Like

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by danowena: 6:39am On Apr 06, 2020
Fa44me:

Ahah, it's too early Mr/mrs. The prof. Said before people are sent for Covid19 test, they should be examined. There are other tests doctors can run on patients apart from CVID19 test. To me, the prof. had made a good point.
If the covid was a normal ailment, perhaps. But with a contagious disease? No, you first eliminate the possibility of it being that contagious disease before addressing any other suspicion otherwise the consequences are exponential. COVID-19 is not malaria or typhoid.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Joshuazedd(m): 6:41am On Apr 06, 2020
seunfly:

I know you're not one with your comment. what is simple but emergency? You either present to the emergency room or present to out patient. Now if a Doctor happens to examines a case of covid19, what do you think happens to his family and other patients without PPE? in fact anyone with symptoms of covid19 should be tested. that should be the first thing to rule out

3 Likes

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by danowena: 6:41am On Apr 06, 2020
hermesprogidy:

In an ideal situation, you would be correct. But do you know how much those PCR test kits for covid 19 cost? Do you know that despite all the noise about the FG releasing money to organizations like NIMR to fight Covid 19, not a single naira has come to them? The tests they are managing to provide pro bono is being supported by private foundations and not government, hence their testing capacity is very limited.
He spoke as an administrator living the reality of a resource poor setting. There's a lot going on under the table.

What he should say and call for is for support. New York have serious shortages, did they say people should not be coming for tests? Don't you see the governor of New York shouting for assistance and aids everyday. They need more doctors, nurses, test kits and ventilators and are letting the public know this. So,the prof ought to call for support and state it clearly that they lack testing facilities,PPE and capabilities to meet up with demand not what he said. We should all use our heads.

1 Like

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by ChybuzzDD(m): 6:47am On Apr 06, 2020
shuttox:
Very important...As Coronavirus is trending..some fake and quack doctors that discovers any respiratory problem thinks you have contacted Covid-19

This idiot, do you know that many government hospitals in Nigeria don't have hand gloves, and face masks, let alone full PPE kits? Do you even know what a PPE is? Do you know that the health workers attending to patients in the emergency room are supposed to be on PPE, which your government doesn't provide? Do you foolishly expect a doctor with no face mask, let alone a PPE to be examining patients with upper respiratory tract symptoms at this point in time? Do you also expect an armless Nigerian soldier to stroll into the Boko Haram's camp just to confirm if they're still living there? Try to be reasoning with your brain, and not with your spinal cord.

3 Likes

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by hermesprogidy(m): 6:47am On Apr 06, 2020
Krak:
But the WHO is advocating for mass testing. The US has done millions of tests, UK is working towards doing 100k tests daily by month end. Mass testing is the only way of having an idea about the infection rate in a country.

Even South Africa is doing mass testing, so why is this man saying something else?
Very few countries can afford that level of testing. What most countries are doing is scaled testing. I.e issuing testing to all people coming from covid 19 prevalent countries plus mandatory stay at home for a period of time regardless of their test result. Intensive and active contact tracing plus testing of all known contacts plus mandatory quarantine regardless of the test result and use of GIS mapping to identify, isolate hotspots and deploy testing there.
After doing all this, you have to provide economic sustenance to the individual to motivate them to obey the quarantine.

1 Like

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Yancy(m): 6:51am On Apr 06, 2020
Mr. Prof according to NMA, this country has about 75000 registered doctors with a large percentage being underpaid & without adequate PPEs. Now these doctors are prone to high risk of exposure. I don't need to say much but since the govt has refused to release intervention funds for the lockdown order, then please run the bloody test since its not your money. Besides on foreign adverts, its advised to call your doctor to explain your symptoms & not coming to the hospital directly. So Sir, before you post next time use your tongue to count your teeth. Nuf said...

1 Like

Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by hermesprogidy(m): 6:52am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:

What he should say and call for is for support. New York have serious shortages, did they say people should not be coming for tests? Don't you see the governor of New York shouting for assistance and aids everyday. They need more doctors, nurses, test kits and ventilators and are letting the public know this. So,the prof ought to call for support and state it clearly that they lack testing facilities,PPE and capabilities to meet up with demand not what he said. We should all use our heads.
Sure, you are correct. But if he says that, he could lose his job the next day. It's a sad reality. He really should have said nothing.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by skedman(m): 7:03am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
I too know that is your problem and English ...
He is advising them to critically examine and not every headache,cough ,and respiratory problem is cov.19

Beside many doctors and nurses will not attend to you if you developed all the above symptoms which is not professional aleast you need to diagnose before concluding rather than just referring them to yaba.
Trump of America recommended chloroquine without a research and not been a doctor what will you say about that

Please it is an advise for all doctors and not for you only .

we know you are good but let others learn too.
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Jabioro: 7:03am On Apr 06, 2020
Convid19 is showing us our grossed incompetency..Lai Mohammed said they have so disbursed 100 billion naira to Nigerians therefore no one is hungry.I expected him to say at Ajekunle Boundary Market... Lagos
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by oyeb15: 7:08am On Apr 06, 2020
Nice talk. Doctors now suggest malaria, tb patients as having corona virus
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:14am On Apr 06, 2020
danowena:
Don't mind the nonsense professor. When they are suggesting everybody should be tested he is here talking trash. If not for the cost and lack of availability of kits, everyone ought to be tested. Many carriers of covid 19 aren't showing any symptoms and are busy spreading it to others without knowing it. Professor my foot!
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by Angelfrost(m): 7:27am On Apr 06, 2020
This is embarrassing if true... What kind of doctor or physician shies away from proper differential diagnosis before pushing a patient to Infectious Disease Center??!... Who trains such charlatans??!...

This is how we lose lives to severe acute respiratory issues, all because a supposedly trained personnel is unprepared to do his job... That's unprofessional!!!..

The blame shouldn't stop here anyway... This won't be the case if doctors are well protected, and not at risk...

Besides, the Ncdc needs to stop shying away from its duties of wider testing and isolation across the nation...
Re: Tunde Salako: Doctors Should Examine Patients Before Suggesting COVID-19 Tests by asakanbi(m): 7:32am On Apr 06, 2020
What is COVID '19 that we cannot cure if OKO OLOYUN is alive...
We for don hear COVID 1001 flusher, drink one spoon and use 3spoon to bath twice daily..
COVID flusher.. Agboo takun takun toun un fo VIRUS kurolara cheesy cheesy

Show your guy some love... This lock down is killing me

*FIRST BANK SAVINGS ACCOUNT(3056752307

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Want To Add More Weight. / Facial Treatment With Live Snail / Natural Way To Clean Your Kidneys N Prevent Future Damages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.