Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News (23374 Views)

Whatsapp To Impose New Restriction On Forwarding To Fight Fake News / Whatsapp Limits Message Forwarding To Just 5 Users / Whatsapp Is Limiting Message Forwarding To Reduce Spread Of False News (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by pocohantas(f): 8:03am On Apr 08, 2020
London (CNN Business)
WhatsApp is trying to stem the rapid spread of coronavirus misinformation by placing new limits on the number of times a forwarded message can be shared simultaneously.

A message received by a person on the Facebook (FB)-owned platform that has already been forwarded five times can now only be passed on to one chat at a time.
The new limits are WhatsApp's strictest yet.

WhatsApp, like other text messaging platforms, has been used in recent months to spread messages that often contain a mixture of claims about the virus, some accurate and some that have been debunked by medical experts. The problem is now so acute that world leaders are urging people to stop sharing unverified information using the app.

Experts welcomed the tighter limit announced on Tuesday but said it still doesn't go far enough.

The platform is also working on a new feature that would allow users to take a message they've received and quickly search the web to check its content. In screenshots shared with TechCrunch last month, a magnifying glass appears next to a message, which would take the user to a related Google search.

A WhatsApp spokesperson told CNN Business that feature is still being tested.

SOURCE: edition.cnn.com

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by pocohantas(f): 8:05am On Apr 08, 2020
I support this move, as the infodemic might end up causing more casualties than the virus itself if not curtailed.

I have lost count of the number of false information and conspiracy theories I have read on this pandemic.

-During the 2014 Ebola outbreak, messages circulated and boom, people went bathing with salt. Some mixed with water and gulped it down!! People died from excessive salt consumption.

I watched a video where Trump addressed accusations of him downplaying the situation. He said he isn’t undermining the virus, but reassuring the people. It is bad, we should take caution, we should inform, but do not create panic in the process.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by pocohantas(f): 8:14am On Apr 08, 2020
I received this message sometime ago and didn’t give it a second look. I never do. Not until it was forwarded to me by the Consultant himself, after he asked if I have seen the message being passed around. He never had such conversation with anyone.

I jokingly told him it would soon be on NL. I wasn’t wrong after all, the next day I saw it on Nairaland
grin grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Froshloaded: 8:14am On Apr 08, 2020
smiley
My mum needs to see this grin

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by yanabasee(m): 8:29am On Apr 08, 2020
I've had people spread those rumours on some groups and I don't even waste my time to read it....

Africans that they dashed them Christianity are now acting like they discover God by themselves....

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by izzou(m): 8:31am On Apr 08, 2020
grin

The spread of false information these days is mind blowing. Especially all these broadcast messages

I worry more for older persons. It's like they believe everything that is broadcasted

I receive nothing less than two broadcast messages from my mother grin. Especially that Chris Oyakhilome's 5G revelation.... Oh Father grin

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by herzernIsHere: 8:49am On Apr 08, 2020
Any piece of information you receive on any online platform without a source (in form of a reputable news outlet website link) should be totally disregarded.

Reason I don't do WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook. Oh and Twitter!

Nairaland is sufficient.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by CAPSLOCKED: 9:34am On Apr 08, 2020

IF YOU BAN WHATSAPP NEWS PERMANENTLY MANY MOTHERS WILL TAKE PROTESTS TO THE STREETS.

47 Likes 5 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Tetrahedron: 9:41am On Apr 08, 2020
In other words, any fake news about 5G will not be tolerated again!

copy that Oyakhilome!!

Fake news from the pulpit!!!

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Aturitoroman: 9:41am On Apr 08, 2020
Ok
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by sapientia(m): 9:42am On Apr 08, 2020
The reason is noble and just but should be replaced by a more relaxed policy.

Real verified news are also being circulated same way.

There should be a way to verify some messages and allow exactly same to be forwarded as many times as possible.

This policy means I can't share a real verified news I received too to people that might need it.

There should also be a way to take away fake news from circulation.

Wechat and other Chinese chat apps have such capabilities and they don't have access to funds that Mark have.

Whatsapp should come up with a way to have news voted fake or real if it concerns covid 19 then have the fake ones taken down.

Luvinghubby:

You have a point, but don't you think that it will lead to 'censorship'.
Censorship is what led to the early spread of corona virus in China because the doctor who first observed the disease in Wuhan uploaded the message on wechat groups but it was censored and deleted automatically and the doctor was arrested by police.

You have a very valid point here which I must admit that I never thought of.

However, in the case of China, it was the state suppressing any news on covid 19 regardless of if its true or fake.

I don't think WhatsApp censoring any covid 19 news that have been proven to be fake from being forwarded plenty times will be too harsh.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by DriggityDre: 9:42am On Apr 08, 2020
Awon 5G-CORONA Crew won't like this news.
Oya!
chatinent
Iyiataata92
Come and receive dosage of Sense angry

8 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by visijo(m): 9:42am On Apr 08, 2020
Nice

Chinese president finally speaks on Corona virus and 5G
He said America tu moisha lois chu visr la shin Corona vive la abala ncjire 5G
What's your take on this?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Rick9(m): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
Copy and Paste can still do it sha

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Jflex07(m): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
So many fake news this period especially this 5g issue.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by zoedew: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
Someone else will come up with an alternative app that is not this unreasonably restrictive of the freedom of speech. Better Prosecute irresponsible posts not restrict audio! Wrong move!

4 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by ainas247: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
wink
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by BIAFRAisBURIED: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
Good move
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by sofiscatedmoron: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
Lol
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by ednut1(m): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
I have blocked my mum and dad on whatsapp. Phew grin

8 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by shiki(m): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
cool Nobody can stop REGGEA, not even what's App would stop fake news, it's in our blood

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Slawormir: 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Nice

Sorry i must say the truth

Women are guilty of this

Our mothers, wife and sisters do this alot

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by ThinkB4mention(f): 9:43am On Apr 08, 2020
Na wa
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by ILoveDemMANNA: 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
Platform of platforms .. For those ines saying Corona na audio, make una dey pray make Corona no catch una for mouth soon.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by iCauseTrouble: 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
sad
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Mac2016(m): 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
Okay
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by money121(m): 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
Ok
Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by Mindlog: 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
Impressive as most have been transmitting fear and falsehood.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by RX480(m): 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
People can forward fake news sef, those videos with the robot voice are the worst grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by DropsMic(m): 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
Good...

I'm tired of receiving 5G causes Coronavirus / 5G is Antichrist nonsense...

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Whatsapp Tightens Limits On Message Forwarding To Counter Fake News by classicfrank4u(m): 9:44am On Apr 08, 2020
U

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See What Happens When Your Smartphone Falls / Pictures from Tecno Selfie contest in Lagos today / GSM Phone User Guide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.