Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,283 members, 7,860,663 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:58 PM

COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing (36930 Views)

ATBU On COVID-19: How We Invented Ventilators, Others In 8 Days / COVID-19: How Long Can Nigeria Be On Lockdown? / How To Overcome the Monday Blues – Overcome The Negatives! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Mariantus: 9:35am On Apr 11, 2020
But “the real fear of that is people who are given a false negative test and then decide that they’re safe to go around their daily life and go out and expose people,” said Brenner. And this line got me
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by philkoms: 10:20am On Apr 11, 2020
Probably that is why Trump placed less emphasis on testing every body in US.Also the problem with serology test is that it's antibodies based test and hence takes weeks and sometimes months before detection just like Hiv test.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Xisnin(m): 10:23am On Apr 11, 2020
bizzibodi:

I disagree with u,if u fall sick yur immune system has fail u,what u need is specific drugs to fight d microbes.
Hahaha
Your comment is as a result of lack of understanding of the immune system
You don't need drugs to fight microbes.
Many people fall ill and recover without using drugs.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Xisnin(m): 10:24am On Apr 11, 2020
Awoo88:

Read again. The danger with those kits is returning a false result. the failure is more at the early stage of infection.
Take your own advice and read.
The kit I suggest does not exist yet!
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by bizzibodi(m): 10:38am On Apr 11, 2020
Xisnin:

Hahaha
Your comment is as a result of lack of understanding of the immune system
You don't need drugs to fight microbes.
Many people fall ill and recover without using drugs.
Keep deceiving yurself that there is pharmaceutical coys shld stop producing drugs b/c humans has a superb immune system,in yur ignorance u never knew pathogens keep mutating to counteract d defence mechanism of d immune system.somebody shld help me school this ignoramus.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Xisnin(m): 10:44am On Apr 11, 2020
bizzibodi:

Keep deceiving yurself that there is pharmaceutical coys shld stop producing drugs b/c humans has a superb immune system,in yur ignorance u never knew pathogens keep mutating to counteract d defence mechanism of d immune system.somebody shld help me school this ignoramus.

What stop the "pathogen" from mutating against your drug?

Did you watch a YouTube video ?grin

Half education is dangerous because it produces confident illiterates.
It will take decades to properly educate you on the role of the immune system.

Now, run along and engage with other illiterates.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Awoo88: 11:05am On Apr 11, 2020
Xisnin:

Take your own advice and read.
The kit I suggest does not exist yet!
And why will you suggest a non-existing kit
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Kennydoc(m): 11:10am On Apr 11, 2020
Venusman:

Knowledge is killing you, that's why you're trapped but I'll appreciate if you can answer these questions;

1.How come there's no cure and in Lagos about 50 cases has been released with report that they're well?

See, Government takes opportunity of any death now to scare people of the virus and they now gullible Nigerians will fall for it.

How come it has not killed any government official in spite of their engagement with their active travel history lately before lockdown?

Stop trying to sound smart when you don't have a point. All the countries surrounding Nigeria have cases. Even Niger Republic and Cameroon each have more cases than Nigeria at the moment.

Why do people recover? Because their natural defence mechanism eliminates the virus. The body naturally heals itself and wards off infectious agents unless it gets overwhelmed.

You also need to note that over 80% of people who test positive to COVID-19 have no or mild symptoms and recover within one week. Those are likely the kind of cases being discharged from Lagos isolation centres every day. In the UK for example, some of those people with no or mild symptoms don't even get tested. They are asked to self isolate and call emergency numbers if their symptoms progress or worsen.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Realist2: 11:16am On Apr 11, 2020
NaijaRoyalty:

Accept you made a mistake in the number of cases confirmed down with the bug and stop playing defensive .

A very serious issue for scientists in the house to brainstorm and so that people can learn, you e-wariors always run and occupy the first page and be typing irrelevance therein derailing the thread.

@topic. Serum test strips combine with western blot analysis is the best for detection of viral load in micrograms, while Seriological strips detect antibodies against the virus, it easy to perform does not require preparations and transportation of samples as the strips are portable, Western blot analysis on the other hand is complex,expensive require expertise, but very sensitive and detect minute viral load. My advice to NCDC is to collect patient,s samples from nose, cough and blood ,ensure there are reagents that preserve the integrity of samples. Any trace result should be redone, with proper labelling.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Xisnin(m): 11:42am On Apr 11, 2020
Awoo88:

And why will you suggest a non-existing kit
The same reason some people suggest a non-existent vaccine for the virus.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Nobody: 11:57am On Apr 11, 2020
helinues:

We are always exposed to virus and diseases daily.. That's the work of our immune system to fight it naturally, but if the situation is complicated that's when you start having symptoms.

Drugs/medicine are only immune booster not a cure. They make our immune system to be active and take care of the diseases/viruses
True, but this corona appears deadlier than other common diseases people are exposed to daily.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by helinues: 12:03pm On Apr 11, 2020
gypsey:
True, but this corona appears deadlier than other common diseases people are exposed to daily.

The rate of infection is somehow artificial according to me.

Most countries affected, the spreading always start from government officials, from Iran to UK, Canada and Nigeria..

I doubt if any of the white house officials have contracted the virus, same as their top politicians whether Democrats or Republicans..

According to the survey, most affected in USA are ordinary people which majority are blacks.

Though I stopped following up with the world Corona reports as the media has started playing politics with it..

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Nobody: 12:06pm On Apr 11, 2020
helinues:

The rate of infection is somehow artificial according to me.

Most countries affected, the spreading always start from government officials, from Iran to UK, Canada and Nigeria..

I doubt if any of the white house officials have contracted the virus, same as their top politicians whether Democrats or Republicans..

According to the survey, most affected in USA are ordinary people which majority are blacks.

Though I stopped following up with the world Corona reports as the media has started playing politics with it..
You are definitely right on the politicising of corona.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by davidodiba(m): 12:08pm On Apr 11, 2020
The world system is confused...really confused
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Neddyogu(m): 12:10pm On Apr 11, 2020
jericco1:
Baffles me how these people know so much about the virus but creating the vaccine has been more of a rocket science

'Cos of a little thing called genetic mutation. Viruses mutate a lot and are very unstable so u might get pure isolates of a virus via viral culture to create a vaccine or antibodies and before u realize it, bam! A new strain is in town! Mutation don occur. Then u start afresh to try to isolate the new strain.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by helinues: 12:11pm On Apr 11, 2020
gypsey:
You are definitely right on the politicising of corona.

And same thing happening in Nigeria..

Abi a government that could not share voters card for 2 years now been able to share money among 2m plus Nigerians within 3 days.

Is the Lord not wonderful?

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by olawonder(m): 12:14pm On Apr 11, 2020
I added a comment about this on a post last week, and some dunces were insulting me. Most of the test kits donated from China are being reported to give inaccurate results or, only 30percent accuracies at best, in Europe and elsewhere! This pandemic might become a triple wahala for Nigeria in the coming months if swift measures are not taken now, might become a case of ‘no test kits, no medical help, no isolation centres and no ventilators’ just imagine how bad things might quickly become!
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Nobody: 12:18pm On Apr 11, 2020
helinues:

And same thing happening in Nigeria..

Abi a government that could not share voters card for 2 years now been able to share money among 2m plus Nigerians within 3 days.

Is the Lord not wonderful?
That is Good development cheers! to corona i guess. then again perhaps, only because they are afraid the disease could affect and affecting them too. and to contain the virus people must isolate and in Nigeria can't force hungry and broke Nigerians to isolate with empty stomachs, it would result to Anarchy, anarchy they do not need.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by naxclimpsey(m): 12:34pm On Apr 11, 2020
verifiablefacts:

why are you guys wasting your precious time arguing with people that never admits wrong.?

The guy just useless. One love bro
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Frankology: 1:07pm On Apr 11, 2020
By the special grace of God we will overcome
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Nigeriapen(m): 1:08pm On Apr 11, 2020
List of 13 Nigerian Kill By Coronavirus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYhqUgZO9hs
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by tomdon(m): 1:15pm On Apr 11, 2020
Mynd44:
This is the problem when you start using rapid test kits

1. False positives: someone who is negative and the test shows positive is quarantined and kept with people who have and is exposed to it

2. False negative: someone who has and the test shows negative and is free to go. This person walks around and infected others freely.

But what is done in some countries is molecular testing and not the rapid testing using antibody count. This shows exactly if the virus is present. This is doing in Nigeria.

To make sure people are finally healthy, Nigeria tests the poo of the person. As taking a nasal swab doesn't work anymore since the virus might have moved to the lower respiratory system and the lungs. So as long as the poo shows presence, we don't discharge here.

This is also the reason for the lockdown, stay home, if anyone
1. Falls sick, the person is tested and if positive, quarantined and the immediate people he/she isolated with are tested
2. If the person does not fall sick i.e asymptomatic, the virus will pass through. If the person spreads it, the same is don't for his immediate peoplebisolated together.

Did you read the article at all or did you not understand it
Whatever you mean by molecular testing
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Bigcowhorn: 1:30pm On Apr 11, 2020
Nwamaka1419:
. God bless you sir for the wisdom, but some Nigerian don't have sense at all.

Zues1419 aka Lucifer1419 aka YorubaWarrior

Here's the thing,
I don't mind it that you are a man faking as a woman
But I hate it when a chronic Yoruba man who insults Igbos at every opportunity derides to hide in an igbo property

I got one word for you

Stop!!!!

cc: inhotep, lzza, Jimjames

Make una come tell this Yoruba man to vacate this Igbo property before EasternPrince commits e-murder

1 Like 1 Share

Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by jimyjames(m): 2:01pm On Apr 11, 2020
The guy is hungry , help him with this below

Bigcowhorn:

Zues1419 aka Lucifer1419 aka YorubaWarrior

Here's the thing,
I don't mind it that you are a man faking as a woman
But I hate it when a chronic Yoruba man who insults Igbos at every opportunity derides to hide in an igbo property

I got one word for you

Stop!!!!

cc: inhotep, lzza, Jimjames

Make una come tell this Yoruba man to vacate this Igbo property before EasternPrince commits e-murder

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Awoo88: 2:33pm On Apr 11, 2020
Xisnin:

The same reason some people suggest a non-existent vaccine for the virus.
So because some no brained suggested non existing vaccine so decided you can beat them!!! You get sense well well
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Xisnin(m): 2:56pm On Apr 11, 2020
Awoo88:

So because some no brained suggested non existing vaccine so decided you can beat them!!! You get sense well well

No. It is because of your dyslexia that you can not understand the difference between
a future projection based on past results and the present.

The phone you are using to type this gibberish did not spring out of thin air.
Some people make the suggestion and others design it before it can exist.
Those who could see the future from the present are some of the most
influential humans that ever lived.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by bizzibodi(m): 4:44pm On Apr 11, 2020
Xisnin:

What stop the "pathogen" from mutating against your drug?

Did you watch a YouTube video ?grin

Half education is dangerous because it produces confident illiterates.
It will take decades to properly educate you on the role of the immune system.

Now, run along and engage with other illiterates.
U are a confirm illiterate,u dnt know scientist keep researching & producing new drugs or combining 2 or more drugs if pathogens are resistant to drugs?vaccine for some viral infections are modified every years b/c those virus are constantly mutating.
All yur lots do is to take everything u view on YouTube hook,line & sinker.u are too lazy to read books.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Awoo88: 6:10pm On Apr 11, 2020
Xisnin:

No. It is because of your dyslexia that you can not understand the difference between
a future projection based on past results and the present.

The phone you are using to type this gibberish did not spring out of thin air.
Some people make the suggestion and others design it before it can exist.
Those who could see the future from the present are some of the most
influential humans that ever lived.
Thank you for confirming you "olodoism" comes with the a NAFDAC and SON stamp. How do you make a projection for a novel subject? A subject that is still under review and data gathering to enhance understanding. Dyslexia? Guy Look mirror well.
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 11, 2020
helinues:
Less than 100k people are yet to be tested and we already have 200+ cases.

The FG are only decieving gullible Nigerians

But fatality rate is low. which am still questioning why and how
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by tammie24: 8:15pm On Apr 11, 2020
Mynd44:
This is the problem when you start using rapid test kits

1. False positives: someone who is negative and the test shows positive is quarantined and kept with people who have and is exposed to it

2. False negative: someone who has and the test shows negative and is free to go. This person walks around and infected others freely.

But what is done in some countries is molecular testing and not the rapid testing using antibody count. This shows exactly if the virus is present. This is doing in Nigeria.

To make sure people are finally healthy, Nigeria tests the poo of the person. As taking a nasal swab doesn't work anymore since the virus might have moved to the lower respiratory system and the lungs. So as long as the poo shows presence, we don't discharge here.

This is also the reason for the lockdown, stay home, if anyone
1. Falls sick, the person is tested and if positive, quarantined and the immediate people he/she isolated with are tested
2. If the person does not fall sick i.e asymptomatic, the virus will pass through. If the person spreads it, the same is don't for his immediate peoplebisolated together.

nice one
Re: COVID-19: How False Negatives Are Complicating Testing by 9jaRealist: 9:25am On Apr 12, 2020
divinehand2003:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/04/how-false-negatives-are-complicating-covid-19-testing/

That’s why we do MOLECULAR testing in Nigeria...

It is the most reliable and sensitive test available....
Even the minutest viral traces will be detected by molecular testing.

>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Help! I Will Be Having Hemorrhoids (pile) Surgery In Few Days / Mechanic Commits Suicide After Girlfriend Conceives For Another Man / Nigerian Tests Negative For Coronavirus After First Testing Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.