Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:31 AM

Can't Access My Workgroup Computers - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Can't Access My Workgroup Computers (7797 Views)

Help: Can't Access My Picture Folder / I Can't Access My Yahoo Account With Operamini Handler / I Can't Access My Ftp Server Outside My Network (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by strategy: 2:23pm On Jun 06, 2007
hi everyone!
i've learnt a lot from this forum and i'm really proud to be associated with you peope.

pls. i need you to help me out with this:
the systems on my network can ping one another, but they can not see one another on the workgroup. as a result, we can't access information from any one.
plssssssssssssssssssssssss! i'm really waiting for a solution

thanks in advance
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by nbeet2000(m): 4:07pm On Jun 06, 2007
check the computers and make sure they are on the same workgroup.
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by abdulg: 4:09pm On Jun 06, 2007
Hi

Pls b 4 I can answer ur ques. what is the name of ur work gruop and have u share the My network place? shocked
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by alanbolo(m): 7:42pm On Jun 06, 2007
It'll be noteworthy to provide more info,

How is it connected and how big is yr network?
Pinging - implying that u might be in the same subnet?
Have u tried using the IP address intead of names to connect?
Can U see other computer on the network?
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by latadeyek(m): 8:43pm On Jun 06, 2007
i will recommend u connect them by configuring ur ip address such that all the systems will be on the same network. This is what i use and it's more reliable and efficient than the work group approach.

Make sure they are on the same network(using ur ip) and assign each system its ip addr.
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by kayodus(m): 3:32am On Jun 07, 2007
good job, latadeyek.

that's if he knows how to - statically wink
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by teddyface(m): 7:40am On Jun 07, 2007
latadeyek:

i will recommend u connect them by configuring your ip address such that all the systems will be on the same network. This is what i use and it's more reliable and efficient than the work group approach.

Make sure they are on the same network(using your ip) and assign each system its ip addr.

this is a very good one just like (VLAN Concept) but as kayodus said thats if he knows how to do it.
@ poster
you have to share the other systems.
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by KpopHam(m): 8:02am On Jun 07, 2007
Please supply more information, such as:

1. Is this a domain environment
2. What OS are you using? Is this homogenous or is it a mixed environment

Other possible solutions:

1. If you are using Win XP Service Pack 2; these come with ports closed by default you will have to manually open them up, that is a classic issue
2. Configure any existing firewalls on the network to allow tcp/ip print & sharing

3. Pay my consulting fees (joke!)

Good luck!
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by rossoneri(m): 9:11am On Jun 07, 2007
hi all,
u guys are good all the options given are alright.

pls note also that there is a limit to the number of systems that should be in a workgroup, check if u have exceeded that limit i.e 10.
Check also for conflicts of any kind.
Check also for protocols in use on your network, your computers should speak the same language if there is any protocol u dont need then unbind it.
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by latadeyek(m): 9:25am On Jun 07, 2007
[i][i]good job, latadeyek.

that's if he knows how to - statically Wink
[/i][/i]

kayodus, he shld be able to do it if he can actually connect them together with workgroup. what do u think?
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by ogunsteedo(m): 10:54am On Jun 07, 2007
Hi every one,

pls i will like you guys to help me out in the sence that i have a laptop and it can't connect to my isp simply becos it has no wireless lan nor local pin to connect to router for the local connection. thanks guys
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by sbucareer(f): 1:17pm On Jun 07, 2007

@ogunsteedo,

If your laptop has a USB buy a wireless dongle and you will be connected to any available network.

If your laptop do not have a USB buy a serial connector for USB and plugin your dongle.

@Tpoic,

To the main topic, there are only two problems I can see here. Either you have exceeded the maximum 10 Pc for a workgroup or the faulty Pc NIC is damage or not connecting. Check the control panel for the NIC, to make sure it is working fine. Ping the other from the faulty Pc and try to ping it from the working ones.

Also, check the physical connection and make sure you have configure the faulty Pc to the same workgroup like others.

Good luck.
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by nikekenny(m): 3:11pm On Jun 07, 2007
guy, i used to experienced this too. what u need to do is check your switch, restart the switch several time and I beilive this will work,
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by KpopHam(m): 3:25pm On Jun 07, 2007
. . . or a type I/II PCMCIA wireless card,

option #2:

Plug in your TV antenna, or hanger wire, or alluminium foil grin (joke!)

Good luck!
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by Dynast(m): 3:37pm On Jun 12, 2007
@ poster
You have to be sure that ur NIC is receiving and sending well by right clicking on LAN icon and clicking on status
Also the speed is up to 100mbs else change the NIC or the connecting cable
Make sure that all ur workgroup name 4 all the computers is the same.
If u are not using a DHCP server then configure the client computers using a static IP address by going to control panel --> Network connections --> TCP/IP-->properties
CLICK ON USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS
Then assign IP address such as

to the next computer the IP Address will be

Follow suit increasing the last figures
etc

with this you will surely see your workgroup computers

Better still go to search from START menu -->computers or People
Type the name of any computer you want to see, click search
surely u will see any computer on the network.
To be on a better footing ensure that U are using a uniform operatiing system
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by Ralvy(m): 3:54pm On Aug 03, 2007
yh! thats ryt, configure ur system's serially, that shuld solve it, Hp u didnt break the chain on the line, I mean a diff. OS
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by Planner(m): 5:59pm On Aug 06, 2007
He guys don't you think the network might be hacked. I had the same problem and it went as mysteriously as it came. If you can get a network expert to look into it, that may help.
Re: Can't Access My Workgroup Computers by jimmyjatt(m): 1:06pm On Aug 07, 2007
Hi,
I av not read any1 mention the kind of media cable u av used apparently because we really dont av detailed knowledge of the kind of connection u r trying to make.
If what u r trying to do is connect two computers directly then u need to use a CROSS cable and not a STRAIGHT cable.
If u r also trying o connect a VISTA and another system running XP u need to change the workgroup from WORKGROUP on the vista to MSHOME.
If with all the info in this thread u r still unable to connect ur systems, there must be a problem with one or both of ur NICs

(1) (Reply)

Build Rather Than Buy A Desktop PC / Phones / Huawei Modem And Others Unlocking Codes Request [only Here] / Why Does My PC (XP OS) Shut Itself Down?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.