Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,003 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:52 AM

Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News (567 Views)

Trump Caught Selling Pardons / Trump: Biden Only Won In The Eyes Of Fake News Media. I Concede Nothing / President Trump Caught ‘on Tape’ Discussing Payment To Prostitute, NYT Claims (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 8:36pm On Apr 13, 2020
Legal experts dismantle Trump’s claim that he alone has the authority to ‘open’ the country

This Monday, President Trump raised a few eyebrows with a tweet claiming that he alone has the power to decide when the economy reopens, lamenting that “the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government.”

According to Trump, that is “incorrect.”

“It is the decision of the President, and for many good reasons,” he wrote. ‘With that being said, the Administration and I are working closely with the Governors, and this will continue. A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!”

Defend democracy. Click to invest in courageous progressive journalism today.

As CNN’s Elie Honig points out, Trump is overstating his power as president.

“For example, every state governor has the authority to issue quarantine or stay-home orders, and to revise or revoke those orders,” Honig writes. “The president does not have the legal authority, however, to undo a state-level quarantine order. The president also holds little if any power over matters of local government. He cannot, for example, decide when to reopen local public schools or parks. This could come to a head if the President attempts to ‘reopen’ the country, contrary to existing state-level quarantine orders. In that scenario, the state quarantine order prevails; the president simply has no legal mechanism empowering him to overrule a state governor and to lift a state-level stay-home order.”

The President just claimed (again) that he has absolute power to “re-open” the country. He’s wrong. Here’s why:

— Elie Honig (@eliehonig) April 13, 2020

Law professor Steve Vladeck agrees, pointing out that Trump’s claim is “just false.”

“The President has no formal legal authority to categorically override local or state shelter-in-place orders or to reopen schools and small businesses,” Vladeck tweeted. “No statute delegates to him such power; no constitutional provision invests him with such authority.”

This tweet is just false. The President has no formal legal authority to categorically override local or state shelter-in-place orders or to reopen schools and small businesses.

No statute delegates to him such power; no constitutional provision invests him with such authority

— Steve Vladeck (@steve_vladeck) April 13, 2020
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Aidejay(m): 9:01pm On Apr 13, 2020
"The beauty of me, is that I'm very rich."
-Donald Trump
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 9:07pm On Apr 13, 2020
Aidejay:
"The beauty of me, is that I'm very rich."
-Donald Trump

grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Aidejay(m): 9:30pm On Apr 13, 2020

1 Like

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 10:15pm On Apr 13, 2020
op you dey listen to cnn aka fake news

2 Likes

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Raysleek: 10:38pm On Apr 13, 2020
Trump was talking about the economy. CNN is talking of state lockdown. Ok if the state ends the lockdown on movement of citizens and the president orders businesses and airlines and other manufacturing costs not to open nko? I think cnn needs to relax their hate for trump.

1 Like

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 11:43pm On Apr 13, 2020
Raysleek:
Trump was talking about the economy. CNN is talking of state lockdown. Ok if the state ends the lockdown on movement of citizens and the president orders businesses and airlines and other manufacturing costs not to open nko? I think cnn needs to relax their hate for trump.

No it's not hate, just common sense

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 11:45pm On Apr 13, 2020
jesmond3945:
op you dey listen to cnn aka fake news

trump is the Pinnacle of fake news

1 Like

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 11:54pm On Apr 13, 2020
Obrigardo:

trump is the Pinnacle of fake news
how
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 11:57pm On Apr 13, 2020
jesmond3945:
how

Have you been living in a cave?

1 Like

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 12:00am On Apr 14, 2020
Obrigardo:

Have you been living in a cave?
you mean democrats and the left?
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 12:03am On Apr 14, 2020
jesmond3945:
you mean democrats and the left?

Your style is stale.

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 12:16am On Apr 14, 2020
Obrigardo:

Your style is stale.
maga is coming back next year whether you like it or not

1 Like

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 9:03am On Apr 14, 2020
jesmond3945:
maga is coming back next year whether you like it or not

You mean <morons are governing america> maga
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 9:05am On Apr 14, 2020
Obrigardo:

You mean <morons are governing america> maga
take your frustration to china. Trump is working hard and you guys are sabotaging him. morning
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 9:17am On Apr 14, 2020
jesmond3945:
take your frustration to china. Trump is working hard and you guys are sabotaging him. morning
Goodmorning. you mean hard as a farmer digging the ground with a blunt hoe
First he said i alone can fix it all in 2016 remember?
Now he is the Backup and he takes no responsibility
Save me another please
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 9:24am On Apr 14, 2020
Obrigardo:

Goodmorning. you mean hard as a farmer digging the ground with a blunt hoe
First he said i alone can fix it all in 2016 remember?
Now he is the Backup and he takes no responsibility
Save me another please
before now were not enjoying the economic boom?
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 9:49am On Apr 14, 2020
jesmond3945:
before now were not enjoying the economic boom?
Yes the one Obama saved in 2008 and kept it steady till trump took over
Also note that the economy wasnt in a tail spin when Obama had
Ebola
Swine flu
and Zika Virus

why you still support a proven liar is beyond me

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 9:51am On Apr 14, 2020
Obrigardo:

Yes the one Obama saved in 2008 and kept it steady till trump took over
Also note that the economy wasnt in a tail spin when Obama had
Ebola
Swine flu
and Zika Virus

why you still support a proven liar is beyond me
ebola in america? sad
swine flu in america angry
how many cases please?

1 Like

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 10:23am On Apr 14, 2020
jesmond3945:
ebola in america? sad
swine flu in america angry
how many cases please?
The reason you don't know how serious it was,
Obama was ahead of it with his team. even though there was lags it was evident
US did a lot to stop the spread asap

Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by jesmond3945: 11:31am On Apr 14, 2020
Obrigardo:

The reason you don't know how serious it was,
Obama was ahead of it with his team. even though there was lags it was evident
US did a lot to stop the spread asap
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN21B3K9&ved=2ahUKEwjY39Lv2efoAhWSs3EKHdEwB9oQFjAIegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw30vUhaMN8dLepdXheySvlt&ampcf=1
Re: Trump Caught Yet Again Peddling Fake News by Obrigardo: 12:18pm On Apr 14, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Susan Rice, One Of The Two Ladies That Senator Joe Biden Is Considering / Uganda President To Surrender Only International Airport Over Chinese Loan / US Calls On China For Help Against Russia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.