Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,132 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? (2355 Views)

How To Create A Wireless Hotspot On A Computer / How Do I Monitor A Laptop Connected To My Cafe Through A Network Cable / Help, I'm About To Close Down My Cafe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by abdulg: 4:41pm On Jun 06, 2007
hi how do i monitor wireless laptop conetted to my cafe.
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by ekungomi(m): 9:40am On Jun 07, 2007
hey abdul, if u r subscribed to an isp, then it's quite as simple as easy, ur isp should provide u with a network key that restricts anyother wi-fi enabled computer to gain access to ur network no one can access ur cafe's network server witout the network key, ur network key is either a 5-digit or 13-digit keys, for more information contact ur isp
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by sbucareer(f): 1:42pm On Jun 07, 2007

I do not understand this question, do you want to know how to monitor connected host on your network or how to prevent host machine connecting to your network?
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by lordimpaq(m): 3:04pm On Jun 07, 2007
the question is not explicit enough,

is your cybercafe using a wireless access point within or a wireless bridge without,

if within login into your wireless access point and find out,

same for without,
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by abdulg: 4:52pm On Jun 07, 2007
thanks u all.
i manage my bros cafe , so some one advise that we should go on wireles, so that customers who have laptops can now browse at home . Now my problem is how to monitor our claint who refused to pay after some time. that is how do i disconet some who refuse to pay his dues.
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by lordimpaq(m): 5:13pm On Jun 07, 2007
there is a source of the wireless network.

its either a wireless access point or a wireless router,

you can check who is logged on to your network on the wireless router.

all you have to do is read the manual of the wireless router and find out how to navigate to the settings where u can restrict any one from using the internet for free, all you have to do is get the mac address of the wireless network card and lease an address for it for the duration the person want to browse.

dats all,
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by KpopHam(m): 2:14am On Jun 08, 2007
Run an IP Config command and post your results up here, and then we can walk you through. Consulting fees applicable grin
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by abdulg: 11:29am On Jun 08, 2007
thanks lordimpaq
do u mean there is a software to monitor the claint?
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by nbeet2000(m): 11:31am On Jun 08, 2007
you will need to buy this equipment to do it properly.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3110
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by lordimpaq(m): 11:46am On Jun 08, 2007
yes there is, and the software is on your wireless router
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by blues: 11:34am On Jun 13, 2007
There are two ways to go around that

1 Hardware: before you go wireless you have to get an Acess point or wireless router. Each of this equipment has inbuilt software that filter trafic either by using ip address or mac address. In this kind of bussines mac is preferable.  
2. software : some software can also manage your clients for you. For more info call 01 8541444
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by instinct(m): 3:41pm On Jun 13, 2007
Abdulg,

There two ways to solve your problem.

1. Hardware - you can control access to your cafe's network by implementing a security mechanism (WEP, EAP) on your WLAN router, this would only allow client computers with the right network key to connect to your network/Internet. However, this would not be convinient for walk-in customers cos you would have to configure notebook computers eachtime a client walks in.

2. Software- This is the most ideal solution for a cyber cafe, your WLAN equipments runs in an open mode, all clients can connect and get IP from your WLAN router. Whenever a client tries to use the internet (HTTP,FTP, SMTP, HTTPS, SOCKS service), the client computer is passed through the software, which requires them to logon. you sell timed-logon tickets.

Check this link http://www.antamedia.com/hotspot/
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by aahmed112: 8:17am On Jun 14, 2007
@ abdulg, instinct has said it all. If you have an existing cabled network you manage, I am sure the clients systems go through a server (provides them the IP address) that prompts them with a login page.

All you need to do is make sure the WAN side of your router goes through the same server (connected to the same switch as you computers); therefore all traffic from wireless clients are redirected to the login page, like you have on the cabled systems on your network. If implemented this way, all you have done is taken out the cable between the computer and the switch you might be using (which is the aim; I guess)!

A WEP key would not really help 'cos once saved on a system, it stays on the network, except you have to keep changin it which is not an ideal approach.

Hope this helps, cheers
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by New(m): 2:04pm On Jun 14, 2007
abdulg,

a simple solution would be to provide your clients/customers with accounts that expire after a month and charge a fixed cost at the begining of each month.
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by bukiboy(m): 7:25pm On Jun 14, 2007
hi,
i have solution to that problem, i have a billing software that can do that for you.
call me and i will come over with the solution for demonstration,with this software nobody will be able to logon to your network after their money or acess time expires.
you can reach me on 08028356878,01893488.

bukky
onefirm technologies
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by VIC4U: 3:31pm On Jun 16, 2007
New:

abdulg,

a simple solution would be to provide your clients/customers with accounts that expire after a month and charge a fixed cost at the begining of each month.

that is it
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by imomoh24(m): 12:05am On Jun 17, 2007
Hey why all the hoolabaloo.

If u r using a wireless router, log into it, when the subsriber subscribes, get the mac address of his system,
configure a static ip on it and nat it to his mac address on the router. That way when he refuses to pay, u can easily remove his mac address
from ur router.be sure u copy it somewhere in case u need to reenter it. The router must be configured to assign ip statically.

by the way which ISP are u using would like to replicate it somewhere in Lekki Lagos.
Re: How To Monitor A Wireless Laptop Connected To My Cafe? by MP007(m): 5:33am On Jun 24, 2007
monitor? there is nothing to monitor, just block it out of ur system,

(1) (Reply)

[SOLD] Msi Gaming Laptop | Core I7 8th Gen | 6gb 1060(vr) nvidia | 16gb Ram / Ntldr Missing? / How Do I Make The Best Use Of My New Laptop?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.