Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,399 members, 7,812,173 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:29 AM

Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding (892 Views)

Bridgestone Suspending Tire Production and all Capital Investment in Russia / Twitter Shares Slump After Suspending Trump / Israel Praises Trump For Soleimani Killing, Places Military On High Alert (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:33am On Apr 15, 2020
Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding
BY : NIAMH SHACKLETON ON : 15 APR 2020 09:45

Bill Gates has condemned Donald Trump’s decision to suspend the US’s funding to the World Health Organization.

With the on-going health crisis, the WHO need all the funding they can get in a bid to tackle the pandemic, yet Trump deemed it reasonable to suspend the country’s huge $400 million funding to the organization.

Following the US President’s decision, tech mogul Bill Gates has spoken out deeming it ‘as dangerous as it sounds’.

Taking to Twitter today, April 15, Gates said:

"Halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds. Their work is slowing the spread of COVID-19 and if that work is stopped no other organization can replace them. The world needs @WHO now more than ever."

Prior to his decision to cut funding to the WHO, Trump accused it of ‘failing its basic duty’ and claimed it had attempted to cover up the outbreak when it first took place in China.

America had already slashed their funding to the WHO back in February from $122.6 million to $57.9 million.

At a press conference at the White House yesterday, April 14, Trump explained the reasoning behind the country cutting its funding, BBC News reports.

He said:

"Today I am instructing my administration to halt the funding to the World Health Organization while a review is conducted to assess the World Health Organization severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus. Everybody knows what’s going on there."

American taxpayers provide between $400 million to $500 million per year to the WHO; in contrast China contributes roughly $40 million a year, and even less, as the organization’s leading sponsor, the United States, has a duty to insist on full accountability.

One of the most dangerous and costly decisions from the WHO was it’s disastrous decision to oppose travel restrictions from China and other nations. There were very much opposed to what we did; fortunately I was not convinced and suspended travel from China saving untold numbers of lives – thousands, and thousands of people who have died.

Despite Trump’s comments on China’s funding, according to the WHO, China in fact contributed around $76 million in assessed contributions, along with $10 million in voluntary funding between 2018 and 2019.

In regards to Trump’s modesty of believing he’s saved ‘thousands, and thousands’ of lives, there has still been over 26,000 deaths in the US, 10,000 of which are reported to be in New York alone.

It’s important everyone comes together in this time of crisis with the pandemic continuing to take lives across the world everyday, rather than countries like the US retracting its contributions to the WHO’s efforts.

https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/bill-gates-condemns-donald-trump-for-suspending-who-funding/

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Enoch07: 11:34am On Apr 15, 2020
is Bill gates the president of the United States of America?

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 15, 2020
What do u Expect bill to do ?

That's his Department
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by amaniro: 11:38am On Apr 15, 2020
World health org is very very corrupt. But at this point in time trumps action is unnecessary. The focus is to curtail the virus for now.. Afterwards you can punish Who for unleashing the Whohan virus on us.
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 11:41am On Apr 15, 2020
We Ipob members are fully behind Donald Trump on this one. cool

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Ningen(m): 11:45am On Apr 15, 2020
First WHO, next on the list is China.
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by dulux07(m): 11:48am On Apr 15, 2020
Trump, always looking for whom to blame. undecided
If he had acted early, USA cases won't be this bad.
He blamed governors, blamed China, now WHO. undecided
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Kalapizim(m): 11:54am On Apr 15, 2020
dulux07:

WHO came out with a false Information downplaying the threat of convid 19 before we got to this

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by FactBoyz: 12:00pm On Apr 15, 2020
Selfish man
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by dulux07(m): 12:06pm On Apr 15, 2020
Kalapizim:
WHO came out with a false Information downplaying the threat of convid 19 before we got to this

That is no excuse, trump had been warned 3x in January, but he ignored

Do you think a country like usa will act solely on what WHO says? He is just trying to shift attention away from himself, looking for whom to blame and now is not the time for all that.

1 Like

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Jamesbiodun(m): 12:10pm On Apr 15, 2020
Let's just say WHO is clueless and corrupt,
China curb the Virus in Wuhan and discharge all their patient, they are just having few cases now, what did China use to cure the Virus that WHO haven't have any cure since the pandemic started in the world at large, what are they hiding.
USA has lost more than 20k plus people and still no cure.
Bill gate mofo saying rubbish that WHO is helping to solve the pandemic, what have they done so far NOTHING
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:10pm On Apr 15, 2020
dulux07:

Who is playing the blame game? undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Flyingngel(m): 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2020
If Trump was proactive may the number of death in the USA would have been reduce drastically to tens; but then we all need to condemn WHO for conniving with CHINA to downplay how contagious the virus is thereby giving every nation on earth false believe.
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by dulux07(m): 12:15pm On Apr 15, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

For the fact that the heading of the pix you posted is named "chinese virus" clearly shows the picture is bias, and put together by a trump supporter undecided.
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:25pm On Apr 15, 2020
dulux07:

For the fact that the heading of the pix you posted is named "chinese virus" clearly shows the picture is bias, and put together by a trump supporter undecided.

Where else did it originate from if not China? undecided
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:10pm On Apr 15, 2020
Enoch07:

is Bill gates the president of the United States of America?

The man is becoming too big for his shoes.
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Goldmaxx(f): 11:56am On Apr 16, 2020
dulux07:

thus saith a shithole citizen living in a shithole country. grin
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by dulux07(m): 12:01pm On Apr 16, 2020
Goldmaxx:
thus saith a shithole citizen living in a shithole country. grin
You suffer from low self esteem grin
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Goldmaxx(f): 12:13pm On Apr 16, 2020
dulux07:

You suffer from low self esteem grin
to be sincere I feel so ashamed criticizing about another country when Nigeria is worse. cheesy
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:51pm On Apr 19, 2020
Chosen1984:

What do u Expect bill to do ?

That's his Department

Who gave him that department, Trump? undecided
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:01pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Who gave him that department, Trump? undecided

I believe you are a soulless person masquerading as a Christian. You may have started off as a mistake but you can't let go,better to ride it out, but your hypocrisy is very much open to all. If you support trump you fight facts and peddle lies. If you can be objective you can see how trump is unfolding to a tragic disaster, which is a hard thing for me to say after three years of idiocy and you still a hypocrite

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:04pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:10pm On Apr 19, 2020
Obrigardo:

I believe you are a soulless person masquerading as a Christian. You may have started off as a mistake but you can't let go,better to ride it out, but your hypocrisy is very much open to all. If you support trump you fight facts and peddle lies. If you can be objective you can see how trump is unfolding to a tragic disaster, which is a hard thing for me to say after three years of idiocy and you still a hypocrite

TDS is real! grin grin grin

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:10pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

The fact is you can't provide a meaningful news here, trump forming a task force immediately transforms to competence? Don't be so dull, if trump was competent about stopping this early we know what he would have done, leave his ego aside and rally every state to start testing on DAY 1. my sister is in Utah and Dakota is now becoming the hot bed of coronavirus infections, thousands have died and this is not the time to massage that narcissistic idiots ego. And more of his supporters are breaking the stay at home order while you are praising his response.
And he just tweeted to support them. If someone I love gets this virus, I'll personally look for you and deal with you

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:13pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

TDS is real! grin grin grin

I for once don't peddle in conspiracy but I'm not stupid. Something is shady with Bill Gates involvement in a vaccine, and I've seen him warning us twice about a pandemic of this sort years ago. So I'm not an idiot. Money makes the world go round. But why you still support an idiot is beyond me, you don't see the failure in trump. Says a lot about you

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:17pm On Apr 19, 2020
Obrigardo:

The fact is you can't provide a meaningful news here, trump forming a task force immediately transforms to competence? Don't be so dull, if trump was competent about stopping this early we know what he would have done, leave his ego aside and rally every state to start testing on DAY 1. my sister is in Utah and Dakota is now becoming the hot bed of coronavirus infections, thousands have died and this is not the time to massage that narcissistic idiots ego. And more of his supporters are breaking the stay at home order while you are praising his response.
And he just tweeted to support them. If someone I love gets this virus, I'll personally look for you and deal with you

Who is the President of the U.S. of A? grin grin grin

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:19pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

And this is the task force right? Or what task force was that, care to provide links? Because he disbanded the one that was already in place

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:21pm On Apr 19, 2020
Obrigardo:

I for once don't peddle in conspiracy but I'm not stupid. Something is shady with Bill Gates involvement in a vaccine, and I've seen him warning us twice about a pandemic of this sort years ago. So I'm not an idiot. Money makes the world go round. But why you still support an idiot is beyond me, you don't see the failure in trump. Says a lot about you

Don't worry, the folks below will fix things when they get into power. cheesy

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:22pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Who is the President of the U.S. of A? grin grin grin

you are loser immediately I saw you quoting another loser like candace

This is your president, so sad

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:23pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Don't worry, the folks below will fix things when they get into power. cheesy

Well we all need a breather from trumps madness, don't you want that?
Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:31pm On Apr 19, 2020
Obrigardo:

you are loser immediately I saw you quoting another loser like candace

This is your president, so sad

Any country would be so blessed to have a President with these credentials. cheesy

Re: Bill Gates Condemns Donald Trump For Suspending WHO Funding by Obrigardo: 9:37pm On Apr 19, 2020
OLAADEGBU:

Any country would be so blessed to have a President with these credentials. cheesy

And all to waste as over 22 million Americans now want unemployment benefits and unemployment is an impressive high, apart from the Supreme Court and the scam tax cuts, and also pollution of the environment gutting epa rules and allowing shale drilling to destroy American lands, among other crimes I don't have time to say, what did he really accomplish as a massive failure?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Official Congratulations To Joe Biden And Kamala Harris / Trump Seeking A Second Term Despite Loosing The Election Could Lead To Civil War / President Trump, The Rightful President Of USA Is About To Be Reinstated Back!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.