Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,856 members, 7,817,539 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) (7676 Views)

Diary Of A Shy College Kid: Year One (By Kayode Odusanya) / 30 Days And 30 Nights (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 12:37pm On Apr 16, 2020
Good day people. This is a short story with about 8 short chapters. I will start posting by 3pm today...or a bit earlier.

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2612(f): 2:20pm On Apr 16, 2020
I'm waiting
To

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 2:59pm On Apr 16, 2020
Ann2612:
I'm waiting
To

Is this Ann.2012?
Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 3:00pm On Apr 16, 2020
Chapter 1

The small room was stuffy and dark with heavy drapes shutting out light from outside. He woke up in cold sweats, tired and lethargic. He had dozed off during a meditation session and didn’t know what exactly had woken him. David sat up in bed and took a deep breath before reaching for his phone from underneath his pillow. He had been sleeping through his alarms too much lately and it worried him. Without looking, he tapped his bed till his hand touched his handkerchief. Still going through his phone, he cleaned the sweat off his brow with the white handkerchief; two swipes back and forth like a car’s windshield wiper and threw the small piece of cloth back on his bed.

“David!”A tiny voice shouted out as the room door swung open, making him jump in the bed. A little girl walked in, eye level with him from where he sat on the bed. Her eyes was fixed on the standing fan beside his bed for a few seconds, before she looked at him and smiled, “He is here mom.” She said, and playfully hit the fan, before walking backwards out of the room. David frowned at her. As much as he loved her, he still wasn't used to her calling him by name. He was about to get up and close the room door when she peeked into the room and said, “mommy is calling you.”

He lay back on the bed after she left, dreading what his mom would want to see him for. His eyes caught sight of the red light on his plasma TV hanging on the wall, realizing there was power. A PlayStation 4 console, two controllers and about half a dozen blu-ray discs packs were scattered on the floor below the TV. The video game was what had been keeping him company for the last couple of days at home. Although there was no total lock-down in his city, there was a 6pm curfew, and a lot of malls and hangout spots didn’t bother opening.

Toluwani was David’s little sister. Their parents had been separated for 3 years now, living in different states. David was the first child, and he had gone with his dad after the separation. His three sisters went with their mom to leave at their maternal grandparent’s house till his mom was able to get a place.

Things were cordial between their parents now, but it got ugly at some point during the separation. One time shortly after his parents had peaceful gone their separate ways, his dad had gone over to his maternal grandparents house drunk, shouting and breaking things, claiming his mother in-law was the one behind the issues his had with his wife. That day, an agreement was made for him to go with one of David’s younger sisters before he calmed down, and stopped being violent. But, within two weeks, he had returned her back when he realized all that went into taking care of a teenage girl.

Twice a month, they would do a swap on weekends, and David would go over to stay with his mom, while his two teenage sisters would go stay with their dad. This was one of those weekends.

He wondered why his mom wanted to see him as he got off the bed, wobbling as he made his way to the door. His medical condition had been getting worse over the weeks. He had just gotten back from a year in the north for his youth service, and his mom had missed him so much, so he decided not to break the news to her just yet.

His whole body shook, and he tried his best to keep calm as he walked out his room and headed down the corridor. He could hear his mom and Toluwani talking as he approached the living room. “Hey big man. Sleeping in the afternoon? That’s odd.” His mom said as she took a quick glance at him before going back to dishing food into a small cooler. She was a slender woman in her mid 40s that could pass for a 30 year old.

Her long black hair was in a ponytail, and she had on a slacked white t shirt and jeans shorts. He headed to the refrigerator, opened it and searched through as his mom said something in a low voice he didn’t quite hear. “So, what do you say?” She said and he turned around to look at her with the fridge door open. “Can you take your sister to her friend’s house?”
“Uh!?”
“Don’t leave that fridge door open.” She said and he turned around to look in the refrigerator, rummaging through it. “The place is not far. She will show you how to get there.” His mom continued as she packed a water bottle in Toluwani’s Frozen themed backpack. “What are you looking for anyway?”
“Chivita…orange juice.”
“Oh! I threw it out this morning.”
“What? Why mom?” David said and turned around to face her.
“It has been open since Saturday.” She said as she zipped up Toluwani’s backpack, knelt down beside her and put it on the little five year old’s back. Toluwani kept her eyes on her brother, waiting for his answer to his mom’s request. All she was concerned about was heading over to her friend, Gloria’s big house to play. She didn’t care about missing fruit juices or Corona virus. “Besides, there are fresh oranges in the store. You can take that when you get back.” His mom said as she stood up and folded her arms, waiting for his answer.
David took a deep breath, turned around, opened the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water. “Hope the place is not far?” He said before taking a few gulps from the bottle.
Toluwani’s face lit up like a Christmas tree. There was a stern look on his mom’s face as she walked up and grabbed the bottle from him. “I told you to stop drinking directly from the bottle. That’s why you have cups.”
“Okay ma. David said with a smile. “Toluwani, let’s go.” He added as he headed towards the door. Toluwani ran up to catch up with him excitedly.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by cassbeat(m): 8:23pm On Apr 16, 2020
Yo bro where is the update for tonite?

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:46pm On Apr 16, 2020
cassbeat:
Yo bro where is the update for tonite?

NEPA is messing up o. No power here since yesterday. I had to turn on my generator in the afternoon when I updated the first chapter. Now, my laptop is dead and fuel is finished. I'm just waiting for power now. If power isn't restored, I will go and buy fuel tomorrow morning.
Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Creeza(m): 7:08am On Apr 17, 2020
Interesting. What kind of health issues is David fighting with though? I'll find out soon enough.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by cassbeat(m): 8:38am On Apr 17, 2020
kayo80:

NEPA is messing up o. No power here since yesterday. I had to turn on my generator in the afternoon when I updated the first chapter. Now, my laptop is dead and fuel is finished. I'm just waiting for power now. If power isn't restored, I will go and buy fuel tomorrow morning.
Ok bro

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by OlufemiWhit(m): 9:15am On Apr 17, 2020
Kay is Back.Welcome back bro....lost your number....Hope you're good.

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:43pm On Apr 17, 2020
Chapter 2

The place was longer than his mom had made him believe. They had been walking for five minutes now and still hadn’t gotten there. Toluwani was leading the way; her natural afro hair was packed to the back, and it bounced as she hopped along on the sidewalk. At a point she started stepping on David’s shadow on and laughing. He concentrated on his shadow for a minute, and realized he had actually lost weight. He had lost some muscle mass in the last couple of weeks, but he still would be considered a buff.

Every once in a while, a vehicle would drive by, but the whole estate was generally serene, with well tended small palm trees occupying the length of the road median, spaced at about 6 feet from each other. Their gated community was a big one, with lots of streets and cul-de-sacs. One major road ran through the entire length of the estate, with streets, crescents and cul-de-sacs branching off the left and right sides of the road like tributaries of a river. It was almost like trying to make your way out of a maze. He had started sweating a lot and his body shook. He just hoped he would know his way back home.

Toluwani had been talking nonstop since they left the house. It was typical of her, and he just nodded or responded with ‘uh-huh’ to most of what she said. All of a sudden, she stopped talking and looked up at him in silence. “What?” He asked.
“I asked if we would die if we get the Corona virus and you said yes.”
“Oh. Well. Don’t worry, we won’t get it.” He said, shocked his sister knew the concept of death. She was five years old and used voice command on their mom’s phone to search Google whenever she had heard a word or concept she didn’t understand. But he still saw her as the little girl that was just learning how to talk when their parents separated.
“Are you sure?” She asked and slowed down her pace to hold his hand.
“Yes. No one in our state has it. And everyone is more or less on quarantine right now.”
“Qua…”She was trying to pronounce it and looked up at him when she gave up.
“Quarantine; It means, everyone stays indoors to help reduce the spread of an infectious disease.”
She was quiet for a while before looking up at him and saying, “But we are not in our house.”
“Don’t worry Toluwani, we are one big happy family in this estate. As long as we are not in a big gathering, we are safe.” David was getting dizzy now. “Is your friend’s house still far?”
“That’s it.” She said, pointing at a big black gate a few houses away from them. She wiggled out of his hold and ran off towards the gate. He walked up to join her by the gate and smiled as she banged on it with her little knuckle. “Kehlani,” she shouted out in her tiny voice. A man opened the gate, with an angry look on his face, looking down at Toluwani. He changed his facial expression to a forced smile when he saw David. He was skinny, average height, dark complexioned, in his thirties and had a waistcoat on with nothing underneath.
“Good afternoon. My sister is here to see…” David was saying to the man and stopped to look at his little sister.
“Kehlani” Toluwani said, completing David’s sentence for him with a big smile on her face.

“Okay. Wait, I dey come,” The man said in broken English, and closed the gate gently. David listened to the man’s footstep walk away, hoping he won’t take too much time before returning as he was feeling worse now. He felt like he would pass out at any minute. A few seconds later, they heard footsteps approaching. The man opened the gate to say Toluwani could go in. She hopped in and ran to the entrance of the big white house. David nodded at the man, and as he turned around to head home, everything went blank. “Hey! Hey!!” The gate-man said out loud as David slumped, hit the ground hard, and passed out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:45pm On Apr 17, 2020
OlufemiWhit:
Kay is Back.Welcome back bro....lost your number....Hope you're good.

Yes, Kay is back. lol.
I'm cool. By the way, I have my number in my signature/profile.

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 9:02pm On Apr 17, 2020
kayo80:

Is this Ann.2012?

Noooo, see me here oooo

2 Likes

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 10:29pm On Apr 17, 2020
Ann2012:

Noooo, see me here oooo

grin Okay. Nice.

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 8:35pm On Apr 18, 2020
Chapter 3

At first it all first like a dream when he woke up, then he realized he was in an unfamiliar place. As his eyes slowly opened, he saw a girl with braids and narrow frame glasses looking down at him. She pushed her glasses up her nose bridge and a smile slowly appeared on her face as David’s eye opened up. He felt like Roger Moore in The Man with The Golden Gun after he woke up in a dojo with a Chinese girl looking down at him.

“Don’t stress yourself.” She said and slowly pushed him back on the couch as he tried to get up. Her hand sent chills down his spine as it touched his chest. “Relax for a while.” She said and took off her glasses; put it on the wooden center table she was sitting on, and focused on him again. She was light skinned and had the sexiest pink lips David had seen. Her black blouse was a low plunging one, and David had to stop himself from staring at her cleavage for too long. She noticed and smiled.

“Toluwani…where is she?”David finally said.
“Don’t worry, she’s with my sister.”
“Oh. Okay.”
“Yea, my name is Caroline by the way.”
“My name is…”
“David.” She said, cutting him off. She smiled again, and her beauty made David feel he really was dreaming. He had never talked to a girl this pretty before, let alone have her looking at him like he was prince charming. He wasn’t that bad looking, but he wasn’t no Idris Elba either. Maybe she is into fit guys, he thought to himself as he slowly sat up on the couch and looked around. The place was quite neat. The walls and ceiling were white painted, with a chandelier hanging from the expensive looking pop designed ceiling. Two brown couches to his left and right. There was a large sized rectangular painting on the wall to his left. The art looked like the painter just splashed all the colors he could come up on his canvass, but it came out beautifully.

“How long have I been out?” He asked.
“About two days.” She said and David’s eyes popped out. She laughed lightly before adding, “I’m just kidding. They Say that a lot in the movies, and I just thought it would be fun to say.”
“Oh. Okay.” David said with a smile.
“You’ve been out for just about thirty minutes.” She said and got off the table with an empty glass in her hand. “You want more juice?”
He looked at her puzzled for a while before saying, “how did you know…”
“You kept murmuring that when Ahmed brought you in. I got you to take some down before you slipped out of consciousness.”
“Oh.”
“Yea, and Toluwani told me that’s what you wanted to drink before leaving the house.” She said, raising her voice a little from the dining area where she had the refrigerator open, pouring David a glass of orange juice. He turned his head backwards and stole some quick glances at her. She had on a red flare mini skirt with the black blouse, and he admired her spotless long legs for a second before she started heading back to him.

She pulled up a small wooden stool in front of him, put the glass cup on it. She sat back on the table, and watched David in silence as he took his drink. When their eyes crossed, she smiled and said, “I’m sorry for staring. It’s just that…” She was saying and stopped to laugh lightly before going on to say, “You sister, Toluwani has been coming here for a while now, and she was always talking about her big and strong brother, that could beat up Ben 10.”
David had been taking a sip from the glass of orange juice and he nearly spit it out as he laughed at what she said.
“She is always going on and on about you, and I had never seen you before, so I thought she was just making things up.”
He put the glass cup on the table, smiled before saying, “Yea, I…I’ve not…I just came around recently.”
“Okay.”
“Our parents are separated, and we do this swap thing twice a month, where us kids spend time with the other parent.”
“Okay. I understand.”
There was silence for a while before David looked at her and asked, “When I passed out, why didn’t you try to take me to the hospital or something?”
“Well, first of all, I’m a medical doctor.”
“Oh, really?”
Yep. I’m currently doing my housemanship.” She said, and when it looked like David didn’t understand what she had said, she added, “like an intern.”
“That’s cool.”
“Yep. And…back to what we were talking, the second reason why I didn’t take you to the hospital was because of what is going on right now.”
“Oh. Okay. I understand.”
“They would probably misdiagnose you, thinking you have the virus, but I think I have an idea what is wrong with you.” She said and he kept a gaze on her, wanting her to continue talking. She reached for her phone on the couch to her right, typed something on the screen, and then showed it to David. He squinted for a while at the screen, looked up at her and nodded. “So how long ago where you diagnosed?”
“I just found out three months ago. I don’t know how long I have been living with it.”
“Well, you know it is not a life sentence. As long as eat right and…”She was saying and stopped when footsteps approached the living room. It was their sisters.
“David!” Toluwani shouted, and jumped on David on the couch. He held her in an embrace for a little while before they disentangled. Her friend, skinny little girl, with short braids and pretty face like her sister stood back and watched the siblings show of affection. “I thought you had died because of the Corona virus.” Toluwani said.
Caroline laughed a little before saying, “why does she call you David?”
David sighed before saying, “long story.” He took down the remaining content from his glass of orange juice and checked his watch. “I think we better get going now. My mom would be worried.”
“Okay. Are you sure you are okay though? I can drop you guys off.” Caroline suggested.
“No, don’t worry; I think I need the walk.”
“Okay.”
Caroline led the way, followed by Toluwani and her friend, and then David. They talked about the lockdown in the country, and how no one knew when the whole pandemic would be over. When they stepped out of the house, they saw Ahmed, the gateman approaching. “Some people are looking for oga.” He said to Caroline, looking back at the gate as he did so. Caroline hastened her pace. When she opened the gate, there were three men standing there. It caught her off guard, and she fidgeted for a second before saying, “Hello, please how may I help you.” She was wondering if they were Power Holding officials. They were all dressed officials, with slacks and shirts tucked in, and the man directly in front of Caroline had his ID card hanging around his neck.
The man spoke with a baritone, “Are your parents around?”
“No.” Caroline answered with a little frown on her face, wondering why he didn’t think it proper to at least tell her who he and his friends were.
“Are you the eldest in the house right now?”
“Yes.” Caroline answered as she looked back. David and the little girls were behind her now. “Sorry, can you please move out of the way, my friends want to step out.”
“I’m sorry, young lady; no one is leaving this house today.” He said to a shocked look on Caroline’s face.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:28am On Apr 19, 2020
I didn't know something was going on here.. It's good to have you back.. Let me go and read..

Ann2012
Queenitee
Phoenixcap
Kimberlywest
Oolorun
Bigbuaer
Honourable356

Over, over.. Something just dropped..

2 Likes

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 12:55am On Apr 19, 2020
So, David has a serious ailment that is life threatening, I wish him luck..

Who are these officially looking men, I hope they're coming for good.. Probably, someone must have seen when David slumped and made calls..

Ann2012,I didn't even know you've registered your presence already..

BRAVO KAYO.. I would have loved to know the setting of this your story..

2 Likes

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2612(f): 4:40am On Apr 19, 2020
Thanks, more pls

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 3:34pm On Apr 19, 2020
EkopSparoAyara:
So, David has a serious ailment that is life threatening, I wish him luck..

Who are these officially looking men, I hope they're coming for good.. Probably, someone must have seen when David slumped and made calls..

Ann2012,I didn't even know you've registered your presence already..

BRAVO KAYO.. I would have loved to know the setting of this your story..

Thanks dear, let's keep reading as Boss Kayo is giving us update

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by dammyd46(m): 6:52am On Apr 20, 2020
finally, so good to have you back sir kayo80

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by EvaJael(f): 10:26am On Apr 20, 2020
I have landed. Kayo,you didn't even mention me cry
It's a beautiful story as always. Anticipating the next update

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Wisdomgate53(m): 11:18am On Apr 20, 2020
Nice one here...pls keep it coming

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2020
Ann2612:
Thanks, more pls

Coming up.

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:35pm On Apr 20, 2020
dammyd46:
finally, so good to have you back sir kayo80

wink
Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:37pm On Apr 20, 2020
EvaJael:
I have landed. Kayo,you didn't even mention me cry
It's a beautiful story as always. Anticipating the next update

Sorry. smiley I wanted to have at least 4 chapters posted before calling people. smiley

Thanks for the compliment. Next update coming soon.
Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 11:45pm On Apr 20, 2020
Chapter 4

They were all seated in the living room now; David was back on the long couch, but this time with one of the men from NCDC, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control questioning him. Caroline was seated on the single- eater couch to the left of David, with Toluwani and Kehlani sitting on the arm of her couch on her left and right respectively. The other two men from the NCDC were seated on the two separate couches opposite Caroline. They were of similar physique, slim and of short stature, not big and intimidating like the man that was talking to David. The atmosphere in the room was tense.

They had come with two police men in case they uncounted any resistance, but the police men were outside in the bus they had all come in. Caroline was still angry, and it was odd to see her turn into a protective Lioness when the men had initially charged in. She had started barking words at them with confidence, and asking for the right they had to barge into her house to question her and her friends. But since David wasn’t ready to reveal to them what was really wrong with him, she had to finally back down and let them act on instructions given to them by the state Governor.

Oyo state was one of the few states in the country that wasn’t on total lockdown. People were still allowed to go about their daily activities. The governor took his time to think of the best way to handle the situation, and after the third week of the total lockdown in the major cities of the country, he decided to start mass testing of COVID 19 all over the state. The people of the NCDC also acted on tip-offs. If someone recently got back from Europe, Asia or the Americas in the last couple of weeks, their neighbors were asked to tell on them, if such people didn’t surrender themselves for 14 days isolation. Also, people of the state were encouraged to expose people that showed signs and symptoms of the virus in their neighborhood. That was the governor’s way of nipping the spread of the virus in the bud without totally stopping business activities in the state. People took this serious because of the fear of the virus, and one of Caroline’s neighbors most likely saw David fall earlier, and called the NCDC.

Her parents usually spent most of the weekdays at their farm house about an hour from the city. Sometimes her mom would come home to spend the night midweek to see how they were doing. Most times she would have her sister over, Caroline’s Aunt Dorothy. But today was Thursday, and Aunt Dorothy had gone off with her boyfriend, because she felt one night before their parents arrived won’t do that much harm. Plus, Caroline was 23 years old; old enough to oversee everything around the house, and take care of her little sister. Their other siblings were in boarding school.

One of the men was taking David’s blood now, and Toluwani grabbed Caroline’s hand. She didn’t know if the little girl was scared for her brother, or if the sight of needles gave her the chills. Caroline smiled, wondering how Toluwani would have reacted if her brother was subjected to the NAAT test for detecting corona virus, which involved sticking a thin, long swab down a person’s nostril. That would have freaked her out for sure, Caroline thought.

After taking the blood sample, the man stood up, and so did the other two. “So, we will get back to you within 24 hours.” The man said as he put the pouch containing the test kit under his arm, and started heading to the door. David sat there, rubbing the spot in his arm the needle had gone in with cotton wool.

“Okay sir. So, what happens before then?” Caroline asked as she got up to follow the man.
“I’m sorry, we are going to quarantine you all in the house till then.” One of the other men coming behind Caroline said.
“What? Why?”
“This is the best way to contain the virus.”
“But…”
“Don’t worry; it will be over very soon. It’s just a day.” The man in front of her said, cutting her off.
When Caroline and the three men had gone out of the sight, Toluwani ran to David’s side. “Does it hurt?” She asked with a puzzled look on her face.
“It hurt just for a second, but not anymore.” David said and got off the couch, still rubbing his hand as he walked down the corridor leading out of the house. There was a restroom just by the exit to the left. He walked in, threw the cotton wool into the toilet, flushed, and washed his hand.

When he walked back into the living room, Toluwani and her friend were nowhere in sight. He sat on couch and sighed, thinking of the discomfort he would cause Caroline and her sister. He pulled out his phone and saw a notification of 7 missed calls on the screen. They were all from his mom. He didn’t know how to tell her without freaking her out, so he decided to send her a simple message till he was ready to talk to her. In the text message, he simple wrote, ‘I’m cool mom. I’ll call you in about ten minutes.’ When he hit send and let the phone fall on his lap, Caroline walked in with a lost look on her face.
“I’m sorry how this whole thing turned out.” He said.
“It’s okay.” She said with a smile. The room got quiet for a while and then she broke the silence with, “so, what are we going to do for the next twenty-four hours?”

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2612(f): 4:02am On Apr 21, 2020
Too short naw,
Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 5:49am On Apr 21, 2020
kayo80:
Good day people. This is a short story with about 8 short chapters. I will start posting by 3pm today...or a bit earlier.

Ann2612, this is why I always say it in the beginning...my chapters are usually short. This last one was a thousand words...that's how I write.
Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2612(f): 2:06am On Apr 22, 2020
kayo80:

Ann2612, this is why I always say it in the beginning...my chapters are usually short. This last one was a thousand words...that's how I write.

Ok, continue I d follow you bomber to bomber. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by Ann2012(f): 7:10am On Apr 22, 2020
Thanks for the update Boss

1 Like

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by kayo80(m): 5:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
Chapter 5

David finally called his mom and told her the whole story. She was dumbfounded for seconds, and he had to repeat ‘mom’ a couple of times before she finally responded. When she asked why he had fainted, he lied that he had drank a little too much alcohol the day before and was having a bad hangover. She got angry and cussed him out in Yoruba, but that was better than telling her the truth right now. She came by to the house minutes later, but the police told her she would not come out if she goes in. She agreed to their terms, but apparently the NCDC guys had locked the gate with a padlock from outside and gone with the key.

The walls of Caroline’s house were too high for his mom to see inside, and it felt like her kids were imprisoned. She started crying, and it took Caroline to talk to her on the phone for her to calm down. Caroline told her to imagine Toluwani was having a sleepover with Kehlani. After speaking to Toluwani on the phone for a couple of minutes, and the little girl also assuring her she was okay, she finally left outside the gate, but called back every now and then to speak to them.

David didn’t think the people from NCDC would go to the extreme of locking them in. It wasn’t like they were in the old Soviet Union. But he understood that it was what the governor had to do to make sure at least people were still able to walk around freely. The other states like Lagos that had had total lock-down for weeks had started experiencing an increase in crime rate. So, he saw this as a little price to pay for all that. He just wished he didn’t have to subject Caroline and her little sister to the torture of having their freedom taken away from them.

David and Caroline were seated opposite each other at the dining table now, having dinner; spaghetti and meat. Toluwani and Kehlani had had theirs earlier, and gone to bed. Before now, they had been binge watching Money Heist on Netflix. David thought the night would somehow turn into a romantic one, like it does in the movies. But so far, nothing magical had happened. There was chit-chat every now and then, but there hadn’t been any spark. She had been more talkative earlier, before they got the visit from the NCDC workers. It was clear there was something on her mind.

“Do you want to talk?” She said out of the blue. When David looked lost, she went on to add, “I mean, do you want to talk about the…the diabetes?”
Hearing her say it out loud made his heart start pounding in his chest. He had always felt like if he acted like it didn’t exist, it would just go away. But he guessed he had to stop living in denial, and face his reality. “I hope I didn’t offend you?”
“No. It’s okay.” He said and sighed. “I’ve always had dreams of how my life would turn out and things I would achieve in my life.”
“Okay.”
“It breaks my heart every minute to think that I might not accomplish my own goals.”
“Come on! David. Having diabetes isn’t the end of the world.” She said with a warm smile.
“It sure feels like it.” He said and looked straight at her. Hearing her say his name made him feel a little better.
“You just need to eat right, take your pills and insulin shots, and you are good to go.”
“You make it sound so easy. You’re a medical doctor; you know it isn’t that easy.”
“It isn’t, but you have to draw inspiration from famous people that have diabetes and still go on to do great things.”
“Like who and who?”
“Larry King.” She said, and looked into space for a few seconds before saying, “Halle Berry, and…Tom Hanks”
“Really?” David asked with shocked look on his face.
“Yes. And I’m sure there are many more; those are the ones I can remember.”
He bowed his head, deep in thought for a few seconds before saying, “How come you even know this?”
“It was research for a blog post I wrote a few weeks ago when this whole Pandemic started.”
“Oh! So, you’re a blogger?”
“Yes. But not a ‘copy and paste’ blogger, you know what I mean.”
“Yes, I know what you mean.”He said with a smile.
“I’m not one of those people that started blogging after Linda Ikeji bought her Banana Island mansion.” She said and he laughed lightly.
The room was quiet for a while before she said, “I do agree with you on one thing though?”
“What’s that?” He asked, curious to know what was on her mind.
“Life sometimes doesn’t turn out the way we plan.”
“Oh. Okay.” He said and sat back in his seat, deflated.
“I had gone online to check the result for a course I took months ago.”
“And?”
“It wasn’t so good.”
“Oh.”
“You might say, oh, it’s just one result, but it means a lot to me.”
“I think I understand.”
“People always say I’m an enigma; A personification of beauty and brains. But lately, the more I try to keep that up, the unhappier I am in real life.”
“Hmm!”
“Some days I just wonder what I’m doing all these for. The pressure can be suffocating. Some days I don’t even know what I really want.” She sighed and smiled at him from across the table. “I guess it’s cool sometimes when you get to watch over people. I mean, like when you passed out outside my house, and I happen to be a doctor.”
“Hmm.”
“It felt great watching over you till you woke up.” She said and focused her eyes on him with a smile. The look lingered too long, and she broke the silence with, “Are you done with your food?”
“Oh, yeah.” He said and cleared his throat. There were still a few strands of Spaghetti left, but he was full.
“You want more?” She asked as she got up from where she was seated with her empty plate and walked over to his side.
“No. I’m cool.”
“You don’t like my cooking?” She asked as she twisted her mouth into a scowl.
“What? No, I….”
“I’m joking.” She said with a light laugh as she picked up his plate and headed to the chicken. “You want anything to drink?” She shouted out from the kitchen.
“Umm!”
“We have Coke, Pepsi, orange juice, chocolate drink, yogurt, umm…and, okay, that’s it.”
“Well…I won’t mind a bottle of yogurt.”
“Okay.”
She dropped a glass cup and a mid size bottle of yogurt in front of him a few seconds later. In her hand was a plastic bottle of Pepsi, with a straw, slowly bobbin in it. She smelt so good standing next to him and he had to fight the strong urge he had to hold her. He didn’t know where that came from. She walked over to her seat, started sipping her drink as she smiled at him.

He smiled back at her before saying, “You know that used to be my favorite. Now I can’t even take it, unless of course in the case of what happened earlier.”
“Hmm!”
“Yep! Unless my sugar level actually drops lower than normal and I have to get it up quickly.” He said.
They sipped their drinks in silence, lost in their individual worlds. After a few minutes of awkward silence, Caroline said, “If you’re ready to sleep, I can take you to my brother’s room.”
“Okay.” He said and looked at his wristwatch before adding, “I’ll be ready in about five minutes.”
There was silence again for a few seconds before she said, “It’s funny I went into my brother’s room earlier to look for something, and ended up spending a few hours playing his playstation 4.”
“That’s interesting. What game did you play?” He asked as his eyes lit up with excitement.
“Mortal Kombat.”
“Are you for real?”
“Yes. That’s my favorite game.”
“Wow! What a coincidence. That’s my favorite game too”
“You want to play a little before we go to bed.” She asked with a smile on her face.
“That won’t be a bad idea.”

2 Likes

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by enirock(m): 6:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mo gbo' mo branch since I can't wrestle with those who came before me, I will gladly relax in the second role nd patiently await the next 3 updates that makes it 8. Seeing the zeal amongst ur readers to hear from u nd with the little I hv read I too wait in anticipation for more updates. Thanks for this nd as this is the first time I am reading ur any of ur work, I wud just read nd comment at the end. Nice updates and thanks for keeping us all glued to our phones

2 Likes

Re: Quarantine Love (A Short Romance Story By Kayode Odusanya) by EkopSparoAyara(m): 5:42am On Apr 24, 2020
So David's ailment is diabetes, it's not as deadly as I thought.. But it's really expensive to manage..

They NCDC will definitely come back with a negative result except the want to act otherwise for some reasons beneficial to them..

David and Caroline will soon be in the same room, is this the point where feelings begin to fly?? I can only imagine..

BRAVO KAYO.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Underneath The Veil (a Novella) / Who's Your Favourite Author? / Chukwuemeka Ike's Books - PDF Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.