Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,188 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke (96855 Views)

11 Reasons Why You Should Definitely Drink More Beer / Medical Signals You Shouldn't Ignore / Why You Shouldn't Drink Before Bedtime (2) (3) (4)

Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Horus(m): 11:28am On Apr 29, 2009
[size=18pt]Cancer on sale as fake cigarettes hit Nigerian market[/size]

Fake and possibly harmful cigarettes are set to be released into the Nigerian market
unless relevant government regulatory and monitoring agencies swing into immediate
action, Consumer Protection Council (CPC), has warned.

By Konye Obaji Ori, Lucas Radicella       

According to intelligence reports, five of the ten containers load of cigarettes containing about 4,560 cases of a fake and harmful cigarette product loaded on trucks belonging to a tobacco dealer in Nigeria have left Lome Port in Togo, and heading for the Niger-Nigeria border for possible entry into the country.The other five containers however are already at the Tincan Island Port in Lagos ready to be cleared and distributed.The CPC council in an attempt to save Nigerian consumers from effects of substandard cigarettes have sent letters to Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON) and the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) on this development, charging them to intercept before the contents of the containers get into the markets.The council in its letter to the two authorities said: ‘Our recent findings, however, show that while some manufacturers/importers are making frantic efforts to follow the implementation schedule for the new changes, others appear to be looking for possible avenues to circumvent the rules.’The products in the containers have not complied with the labeling requirements and the CPC have warned that allowing this products into the market would constitute a breach of the resolutions reached by all stakeholders in the industry to comply with Cigarette Standard NIS 463: 2007 at a recent workshop organized by SON.The General Secretary of the Health Care Providers’ Association of Nigeria, Dr. Adeyeye Arigbabuwo, has disclosed that about 32 Health Management Organisations (NHIS) and 7,000 providers had so far been accredited for the Nigerian Health Insurance Scheme.“As of today, about three million Nigerians benefit from the NHIS,” he said, adding that one hundred and thirty seven (137) million Nigerians were not covered by the scheme.Should these cigarettes hit the Nigerian market, not only will the risk of cancer, already associated with long-term cigarette smoking, be particularly problematic for the budget-strapped health sector but also immediate health hazards to millions of Nigerians without appropriate health insurance covers.

Source: http://en.afrik.com/article14799.html
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by fisician(m): 8:26pm On Apr 29, 2009
I would not want to believe that some people still think some medical reports are bull shit, anyway, I think the problem is that because somethings does have immediate effect does not mean, it is not for real, take for instant 'don't drink and drive slogan' does it mean everybody who drinks and drive kills somebody on that day? NO! abi, but you will not deny it is an honest advise, abi?
One other thing is that 20% of fathers that smoke affect their unborn children with a smoking disease of deformity, in the later life, so even if you don't believe or want to pretend you does believe the report, take pity on your neighbors or your unborn child,
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by ifele(m): 5:23pm On May 04, 2009
smoking makes it hard to get an erection.

the cadmium build-up blocks the blood vessels in the penis.

If yu dont want to disappoint yur woman dont smoke
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by sweetpie23: 6:39am On Aug 23, 2009
only fools smoke
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Eboneym2: 1:50pm On Aug 24, 2009
Friends out there,apart from the reasons listed out there,i want to react to LOSTPIXIE if whatever you are doing is morally justified i know you will not hid it from your parients.that tells you smoking in the first place is not morally justified.please quit smoking now its for your own good, thank you for yeilding to my advice.GOD BLESS YOU.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
Whether you guys like it or not, most smokers stink. cheesy Is it because we are trying to be nice and we don't tell you? cheesy Shioorrr.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by diddysnow: 9:21pm On Sep 29, 2009
The first author has spoken well but forget to add that smoking lowers the human consciousness spiritually,mentally and in so many other ways as well. The best is to reduce the numbers of stick you smoke and invest the rest of your money online or offline so to secure your future from life in poverty. You can contact me to know the biz you can put your money into instead of being a poor smoker. Contact me on 08086837885
08034199680 or send an email to diddy_adeking@yahoo.com
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by ayodele123(m): 8:08pm On Oct 26, 2009
The fact is that most smokers really want to give up but cannot because they are hooked and enslaved to the dreaded monster, Mr Nicotene.
Their inability to quit the grave anti-social habit makes them find reasons to justify their enslavement to Nicotene.
i was a heavy smoker who chain-smoked for 9 years and by the grace of God,i finally quit on sept 15,1990 and since that glorious date, i have not touched a cigarette
Smoking is one of the most dangerous addiction a human can indulge in.There are no benefits but grave dangers to health.
Before sept 15,1990 i made countless failed attempts to stop.
Every smoker should make up his mind to stop at once and for all times and have not looked back since then.
pls stop smoking,Mr Smoker.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by cydak(m): 4:58pm On Oct 27, 2009
Hey,

everyone is talking about disadavantages, disadvantages, disadvantages, but are there no advantagess of smoking? can someone in the house tell us about the good sides of smoking? Maybe some of us are missing something.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by donjon: 1:46pm On Nov 01, 2009
Wat about igbo? (indian hemp).
Does it have any medical side effect?
Note:
i dont know about cigrettes, but i know dat weed enhances sexual performance!
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Rightworld(m): 8:37pm On Nov 12, 2009
Hey,

everyone is talking about disadavantages, disadvantages, disadvantages,  but are there no advantagess of smoking? can someone in the house tell us about the good sides of smoking? Maybe some of us are missing something Hey, there 's no advantage in smoking, all it does is damages.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Rightworld(m): 4:37pm On Nov 13, 2009
Pls if u are a member of this forum, and u smoke, or u ave friends, family that's under nicotine captivity, i strongly advise u to visit dis blog: stopsmokinghow2.com by doing so u shall be able to take that decission to quit.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Maryjane2: 7:37pm On Dec 20, 2009
I agree with u man,but however I want give fellow nairalanders 5 Sure Ways to Stop Smoking anyone addicted to smoking can quit in few day just as I quit.

1. Keep yourself busy

Instead of puffing your cigarette the whole day, why not try other worthwhile activities like taking a walk, going to the gym, cook for your loved ones or better yet, clean your house. If you keep yourself busy with these meaningful activities, you will stop thinking about smoking.

2. Make a list for yourself

Make a list of your own about the advantages of a smoke-free life and disadvantages of a smoke-filled life. This list can help you realize that quitting smoking is really beneficial for you and most importantly to your health. Remember that if you are willing to quit smoking, you will realize that smoking is bad will truly bring him to a successful way in stopping smoking.

3. Try to cut out things that trigger you to smoke

One way to stop smoking is trying to cut out things that trigger you to smoke. Yes I know how difficult for you to surrender different kinds of drinks such as coffee, sugary drinks such as soda and juices, and most of all I know how difficult to give up on alcoholic beverages. But if you are really willing to quit smoking, you need to sacrifice these things that trigger you to puff your cigarettes.

4. Change your mind about smoking

Try changing your brand or flavor of your cigarette that you puff. If you are not happy and contented with the brand you have switch on, that is the time you can quickly change your mind on smoking. Remember that nothing is impossible as long as you are willing to do it.

Pls visit    http://www.stopsmokingpalace..com/ for the fifth tip and more.It is FREE.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Rightworld(m): 9:33pm On Dec 20, 2009
Every former smoker like me can tell you just how hard it is to quit smoking cigarettes. However, there are a range of stop smoking commodities that can assist you on your transition to a smoke-free lifestyle. Though there free videos, quit smoking aid groups and prescription and natural stop smoking aid that will make your endeavour to quit smoking cigarettes much easier for you. remember you need an expert or former smokers tips quit. you can reach me through my email address.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Rightworld(m): 10:42am On Dec 27, 2009
(1) After a year, your risk of having a heart attack goes down by half
(2) Cancer risk is less than before.
(3) After about 20 minutes, after your last cigarette, your blood pressure goes back to normal.
(4) Your sense of smell begin to improve.
(5) Within eight hours, your smoker breath will improve.
(6) Within 3 days your nerve endings start to redevelop.

For more tips on how to permanently stop smoking visit:
www.stopsmokinghow2.com or send mail to dronlinesolution@gmail.com to my free
comprehensive report.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by gebie: 10:05am On Mar 05, 2010
Its very publicized smoking causes cancer, high blood pressure, heart attacks and heart disease.  Smoking also causes oral health issues as well.  If you are a smoker, you are increasing your risk of developing oral cancer and gum disease (which leads to tooth loss and loss of jaw bone). 
There are so many different risks’ that come with smoking, these are just a few.

* Bad breath
    * Tooth discoloration
    * Inflammation of the salivary gland openings on the roof of the mouth
    * Increased build up of plaque and tartar on the teeth
    * Increased loss of bone within the jaw
    * Increased risk of leukoplakia, white patches inside the mouth
    * Increased risk of developing gum disease, a leading cause of tooth loss
    * Delayed healing process following tooth extraction, periodontal treatment, or oral surgery
    * Lower success rate of dental implant procedures
    * Increased risk of developing oral cancer

Heart and blood vessel problems are the main causes of sickness and death among people with diabetes. These problems can lead to high blood pressure, heart attacks, and strokes. Heart and blood vessel problems can also cause poor circulation (blood flow) in the legs and feet.Smoking back pain is one of many side effects of this insidious habit. Smokers are 3 times more likely to develop chronic lower back pain  than non-smokers. Besides back pain, smoking is a known cause and contributor to heart disease, hypertension,  cancer, stroke,
emphysema and birth defects. It is truly time to end this epidemic habit, for the sake of everyone on the planet.

But I have only one reason why I shouldn't smoke,  I want to live.

This one could help.
http://www.stopsmokinghabits.com
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by razznaija(f): 6:13pm On Sep 30, 2011
you also forgot to put: If you're a female, your boobs will start heading down south before you turn 35 and you will age faster than someone that doesn't smoke.
It also causes lung cancer.
You will not be able to conceive.
Over 3million people will die in the next 10 years from smoking related diseases.
Even if you quit smoking, you are still prone to having smoking related diseases.
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by Julia1994: 5:19am On Feb 24, 2012
smoking is so disgusting it makes you sick and icky embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by LaPrincess: 9:55pm On Dec 01, 2012
I don't understand how you can think smoking is cool or fun. many people have died from smoking. i don't judge people for smoking but i don't agree with it either. I would want to think that if you knew what happens to people who smoke you wouldn't do it but apparently you guys don't care. I have never smoked a day in my life I'm 15 and i would never date someone who would smoke after they know the effect it has on themself. Because that means they don't care about themself enough for me to care about them. My ex-boyfriend died from an over dose of drugs. i wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else. cry[color=#000099][/color]
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by LaPrincess: 9:56pm On Dec 01, 2012
I don't understand how you can think smoking is cool or fun. many people have died from smoking. i don't judge people for smoking but i don't agree with it either. I would want to think that if you knew what happens to people who smoke you wouldn't do it but apparently you guys don't care. I have never smoked a day in my life I'm 15 and i would never date someone who would smoke after they know the effect it has on themself. Because that means they don't care about themself enough for me to care about them. My ex-boyfriend died from an over dose of drugs. i wouldn't want that to happen to anyone else. cry
Re: 11 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Smoke by reyvape: 12:47pm On Mar 20, 2018
Hello, i will advise you to get nicotine gums and an ecigarette that contains a significant amount of nicotine to help him quit smoking.
you can check on [url]reyvape.com[/url] , nigeria number one smoking accessories store

Indian Man Buys N1.5M Gold Face-Mask To Save Him From Coronavirus (Photos) / 18 Health Benefits Of Wonderful Kola / Man's Penis Permanently Disfigured After Padlocking It For Weeks Out Of Boredom