Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:57 PM

Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor (1519 Views)

Help! Fractured Tighs In Tukey / � Turkey Farmers Let's Meet Here / Foreign Turkey 4 Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 12:55pm On Apr 20, 2020
I released my poults today, as usual to feed on grass and bask in the morning sun. Unfortunately, some child pelted them with broken tiles and hit one at the thighs. The thigh bone got fractured and animal went lame. Pictures attached.

Please help .e see if it's possible to heal. What should I do to help? For how long? I don't even know who to call. Been long I posted here.

I'm really livid with rage...I'm confronting the parents of the boy, but I need to start helping my animal first.

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by skedman(m): 1:15pm On Apr 20, 2020
Turkey are not strong to with stand the stress it will die

1 Like

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 1:29pm On Apr 20, 2020
Never knew this one posted! The sever said it was overwhelmed.
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 1:31pm On Apr 20, 2020
skedman:
Turkey are not strong to with stand the stress it will die

Thanks. I suspected so too but still had to seek solutions. I've come to love those birds. I'm just gutted. These guys are paying for this!
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 21, 2020
If it's local one it will survive, I had one which had one of its toes removed , but it survived. You can take it to a vet for some ideas on how to care for it
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 12:51pm On Apr 21, 2020
Well, it's still alive. Began eating small feed last night. Ate again this morning.

I had to use cloth and sticks to splint the thigh. It sometimes stands on one leg and drops after after a few minutes. It's visibly in serious pains. I feel pity for the poor thing

I won't kill it. I'll just care for it and watch what happens. If it dies, okay. But if it survives, I'll be happy.

Guess I'll be blogging its progress here. Problem is when lockdown ends, i.may not know its activities during the day. But I'll tell its story to build our knowledge base here and for us to learn.

2 Likes

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 12:53pm On Apr 21, 2020
SpecialAgent:
If it's local one it will survive, I had one which had one of its toes removed , but it survived. You can take it to a vet for some ideas on how to care for it

Yes, it's local but the problem is the injury is at the thigh ..not the lower leg. And turkey is a big bird
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 21, 2020
Donmeca:

Yes, it's local but the problem is the injury is at the thigh ..not the lower leg. And turkey is a big bird

Worry not, it will survive, I remember one of my noilers got injured trying to compete with local chickens, Alminium zinc scrapped part of her thighs upwards till close to the wings. d sight was bloody, to be honest, I expected her to die, so I didn't even bother taking her to a vet, it got to an extent that she hardly even walks, But guess what, sometimes when she tries to limp, she closes her eyes because of the pain but eventually
SHE SURVIVED & STILL LAYING EGGS.

Infact, I ate two of her eggs for breakfast this morning, she has totally recovered
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by ChristianNorth: 5:51pm On Apr 21, 2020
I love white colour.

Make sure those kids pay.

Take care of the Lil beauty.
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Blackbelly(m): 6:16pm On Apr 21, 2020
Donmeca:
Well, it's still alive. Began eating small feed last night. Ate again this morning.

I had to use cloth and sticks to splint the thigh. It sometimes stands on one leg and drops after after a few minutes. It's visibly in serious pains. I feel pity for the poor thing

I won't kill it. I'll just care for it and watch what happens. If it does, okay. But if it survives, I'll be happy.

Guess I'll be blogging its progress here. Problem is when lockdown ends, i.may not know its activities during the day. But I'll tell its story to build our knowledge base here and for us to learn.

I'll be following your thread to get updates on the progress. I was about mentioning splinting the fractured bone but you've done that already. I'll advice you frequently check the site to know if the splint is still firm or too tight. How old is the poult?
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 11:11pm On Apr 21, 2020
Blackbelly:

I'll be following your thread to get updates on the progress. I was about mentioning splinting the fractured bone but you've done that already. I'll advice you frequently check the site to know if the splint is still firm or too tight. How old is the poult?

Yes, I noticed my first attempt at splinting was too tight as the leg began to swell under. a few hours. I had to loose it and redo, using a first layer of cloth to insulate the thigh muscles from the sticks. The swelling cleared by morning. I'll be checking.

Should be 11 weeks. I got them exactly three weeks ago and was told they were 8 weeks old. it's really my first attempt at poultry. Been doing a lot reading It's a Covid-19 lockdown project.

1 Like

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 11:15pm On Apr 21, 2020
ChristianNorth:
I love white colour.

Make sure those kids pay.

Take care of the Lil beauty.

Thanks a lot. I check on it like every 30 minutes. As for the kids and their parents, I made sure there was a scene yesterday. People gathered for us....so that other boys and elders would never dare to cross my stuff again. it was very important to send out that message
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Lektemy: 9:25pm On Apr 22, 2020
It will survive, i brood a point of lay and one of the birds lost one wings @ week 2 but now,the birds survive and more productive. The bird will survive it
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 11:14am On Apr 24, 2020
Hello guys, my dear bird is still alive (and well, maybe).

It's been trying to stand and groom itself, clean up and chirp at me and other member of the flock. Most importantly, it tries to feed.

I try to always use what others want to guess what it may want (sunlight, grass, food, grass). Turkeys have their opinions and are very vocal in making their demands known.

I'm really hoping that this bird pulls through. Somehow, I'm also hoping it's female.... I'll make it hatch eggs for me. Lol.

Just added other members

1 Like

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 9:43pm On Apr 27, 2020
Hello.

Today was significant in that it was exactly one week since the unfortunate injury. The bird is in high spirits, has good appetite and always wants to be with others, when I release the healthy ones. Sometimes, I'd help it down.

But today, I noticed it was squatting perfectly, folding both legs well. That shows it has begun applying more pressure on the broken thigh. Before now, it'd lay sideways, with injured leg stretched. Secondly, it no longer likes to eat in lying position. It always wants to stand (on one leg) to eat.

Guess it's an improvement.

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Blackbelly(m): 5:05pm On Apr 28, 2020
Donmeca:
Hello.

Today was significant in that it was exactly one week since the unfortunate injury. The bird is in high spirits, has good appetite and always wants to be with others, when I release the healthy ones. Sometimes, I'd help it down.

But today, I noticed it was squatting perfectly, folding both legs well. That shows it has begun applying more pressure on the broken thigh. Before now, it'd lay sideways, with injured leg stretched. Secondly, it no longer likes to eat in lying position. It always wants to stand (on one leg) to eat.

Guess it's an improvement.

It's really comforting to know its improving. I share in your relief lol
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 10:11pm On May 03, 2020
Less than two weeks. My bird is walking with the leg. Yes, it just limps a bit but it now moves by actually touching the injured leg to the ground....never happened before.

It joins others in going outside without help, just slower but gets to where others are. It even perches on my generator and some dwarf wall and flies down. Wish I could upload a video. This poult is strong! I'm hoping that by one month, I should be able to remove the splint.

NB: I had to change the splint on Thursday, after it was targeted by a stray dog and aggravated the injury. was no longer using the leg. After the retouch at night, on Friday it was already applying weight on the leg. Today, I limped well and perches on heights.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 1:12pm On May 17, 2020
Today, I removed the splint, just under a month in treatment.

I had noticed for some days that the turkey had been walking fairly well, and standing on both legs. So, I gave it a few more days and removed the splint today. it's been behaving fine, after taking a few long minutes to scratch the affected thigh.

I'm happy it turned out well. And, for the first time, I feel glad that this happened, to teach me that it was possible to treat a broken fermur in such big birds

Thank you guys.

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 17, 2020
Had a similar experience some weeks ago. 02 05 2020 where one of my cockrel aged 8wks broke its leg and couldnt walk or return home. the fracture was about 2inch above the knee joint. imediately a googled and got some clue on what to do. after givin it treatment within 2weeks my bird was walking perfectly. i was completely amazed how chicken bone could heal so fast

1 Like

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Blackbelly(m): 10:01am On May 19, 2020
Donmeca:
Today, I removed the splint, just under a month in treatment.

I had noticed for some days that the turkey had been walking fairly well, and standing on both legs. So, I gave it a few more days and removed the splint today. it's been behaving fine, after taking a few long minutes to scratch the affected thigh.

I'm happy it turned out well. And, for the first time, I feel glad that this happened, to teach me that it was possible to treat a broken fermur in such big birds

Thank you guys.
I share your joy over this accomplishment. It goes to show that there's no problem without a solution.
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 5:59pm On Jul 08, 2020
Blackbelly:

I share your joy over this accomplishment. It goes to show that there's no problem without a solution.

True! They have all grown now and it turned out I have 3 hens and one tom. one of the hens is now doing something I don't understand. she's squatting each time I approach, especially in the morning.

please does anyone know what this means?

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Blackbelly(m): 7:12pm On Jul 08, 2020
Donmeca:

True! They have all grown now and it turned out I have 3 hens and one tom. one of the hens is now doing something I don't understand. she's squatting each time I approach, especially in the morning.

please does anyone know what this means?
Lol...it seems your hen considers you a potential mate. Hahahahaha animals can be funny at times.
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by apexjohn(m): 10:24pm On Jul 08, 2020
Wow..so glad to see ur turkey quick recovery..
Did u buy them from day old?
Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 6:51am On Jul 09, 2020
Blackbelly:

Lol...it seems your hen considers you a potential mate. Hahahahaha animals can be funny at times.

Oops! Guess it's too much attention and care till lately when work resumed. Hahaha. So that means they're mature? I need to make nests for them asap.

1 Like

Re: Help! Young Turkey With Fractured Fermor by Donmeca(m): 6:53am On Jul 09, 2020
apexjohn:
Wow..so glad to see ur turkey quick recovery..
Did u buy them from day old?

No. I got them at 8 weeks or thereabouts....out of Covid-19 lockdown boredom. That's what I'd remember coronavirus for. lol

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Tilapia Farming, A Hidden Gold Mine / South West Pig Farmers Gather Here / Showcasing Agricbusiness

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.