Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,309 members, 7,853,433 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 04:36 PM

Uche Okafor Is Dead - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Uche Okafor Is Dead (10843 Views)

Tears, Tears As Uche Okafor Is Buried / Tears, Tears As Uche Okafor Is Buried / Uche Okafor Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by NAJALYN: 2:14pm On Jan 07, 2011
May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace. I commiserate with his family. May God give them & all Nigerians the fortitude to bear this great loss.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by cashful(m): 2:23pm On Jan 07, 2011
RIP, Very sad news

knew him as a player in 1987 for ACB(played along side Chidi Nwanu, Henry Nwosu etc), played mostly rightful back or central defense, he also played in these positions for Nigeria at 'maroc 88' alternating positions with Stephen Keshi, Austin Eguavon and Yisa Sofoluwe.
He and Uche Okechukwu where the main central defense pair at Tunisia 94, played most of the games at that tournament. One the best pairings in the history of the super eagles
He was a thorough bred defender very calculative and precise in marking and positioning. (not all these ajebos we have these days).
A member of the USA 94 team,

RIP uche okafor
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by gogo13233: 2:25pm On Jan 07, 2011
i really wonder why a man have to kill himself,may his soul rest in peace and may what ever drove him to this be far away from us in Jesus name
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Ibime(m): 2:39pm On Jan 07, 2011
This is shocking.

Dude had a decent gig on ESPN.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by mystikal(m): 2:48pm On Jan 07, 2011
Saw him trending on Twitter. Unfortunately for a sad reason. Why Suicide? RIP Bro
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Kx: 2:54pm On Jan 07, 2011
Can it be true that he took his life?

If a nigerian living in God's own country with all the "good things" of life at his disposal would do that,
what would those living in nigeria with nepa and bad roads to worry about do?
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Ugeh: 3:07pm On Jan 07, 2011
Sad! Sad!! Sad!!! cry cry cry cry cry cry
R.I.P. Bro
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by triaophant: 3:33pm On Jan 07, 2011
It is very sad indeed. I am still having some doubt that Uche of all persons killed himself. In our hometown, it is an abomination for someone to do that. If it were before, such persons are normally thrown into the evil forest. Uche that I knew from his hometown Ezeakpi Umuabali Ubomiri, in Mbaitoli LGA of Imo State, the same kindred and village with the owner of Zinox Computers, with all his investment at home and abroad under normal circumstances cannot take his life. I am just thinking of his twin brother who runs most of his businesses at Owerri and in Nigeria. He also played football with Iwuanyanwu National FC, but retired when Uche requested that he should take charge of his growing businesses. He was very kind to a fault and was ready to help those who came across him. If it is true, may God have mercy on his soul.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Mehiedu(m): 3:55pm On Jan 07, 2011
rest in peace uche
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by famochy(m): 3:59pm On Jan 07, 2011
R.I.P to a one of the best defender nigeria ever paraded but why commit suicide now
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Xfactoria: 4:57pm On Jan 07, 2011
semid4lyfe:

So sad. . .may his gentle soul rest in perfect peace

RIP Uche.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by favouredjb(f): 5:01pm On Jan 07, 2011
what could be the motive?may he rip
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Ranoscky(m): 5:03pm On Jan 07, 2011
Kx:

If a nigerian living in God's own country with all the "good things" of life at his disposal would do that,
what would those living in nigeria with nepa and bad roads to worry about do?
Gods own country ko, jesus own paradise ni.

Especialy that city where they said he (Uche Okafor) died is the definition of VIOLENCE !!!
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by olumyde5(m): 5:26pm On Jan 07, 2011
Wao may his soul rest in peace

Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by waledoy(m): 5:43pm On Jan 07, 2011
Very sad, RIP Uche Okafor
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by vwvw(m): 5:48pm On Jan 07, 2011
shocked shocked shocked i doubt this suicide story, terrible terrible , played a key role in Nigeria's US 94 squad. my goodness.
i think he even appeared in GEJ's campaign TV ad which being airing-the one on ex footballers
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by NEGZY(f): 5:57pm On Jan 07, 2011
May God grant his family and friends the fortitude to bear the loss.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Limaoscar: 6:19pm On Jan 07, 2011
Uche was one of our finest, a thorough bred, business like defender for Nigeria. Could switch defensive positions and still hold his own, this is very sad sad sad

May God grant his family the grace to weather through this difficult season.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by OAM4J: 6:19pm On Jan 07, 2011
So sad. but why suicide? I hope there is no foul play sad
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 07, 2011
uche paired uche okechukwu atimes or chidi nwanu at 94 nations cup and Wc. he also saw action in france 98 for Nigeria againts paraguay. He was a fine defender
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by thosedays: 7:22pm On Jan 07, 2011
Rest in perfect peace
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by IrunmoleD1: 8:00pm On Jan 07, 2011
Did he even got the house that they were promised after winning AFC in Tunisia 94? cry
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by legendprac(m): 8:02pm On Jan 07, 2011
rip
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by adexchamp(m): 8:49pm On Jan 07, 2011
why on earth would he commit suicide,this is shocking!!! May his gentle soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by tbaba1234: 9:21pm On Jan 07, 2011
There is no confirmation of suicide yet!!,

LITTLE ELM, Texas -- Uche Okafor, a defender on two World Cup teams for Nigeria who later played for the Kansas City Wizards in the U.S., was found dead in his Dallas-area home, police said Friday. He was 43.

Okafor's body was discovered Thursday afternoon by his wife in their house in Little Elm, a town about 30 miles northwest of Dallas, Detective Oscar Hinojosa said. The official cause of death was pending.

Police were not describing it as a homicide or a suicide. "We're just saying it's a death," Hinojosa told The Associated Press. A spokesman for the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office said Okafor's body would be examined Friday.

Okafor played on the 1994 Super Eagles team that won the African Cup of Nations. Nigeria reached the second round of the World Cup that year and again in 1998, with Okafor on the team both times.

He didn't play in 1994 and played in one match in the first round in 1998, a 3-1 loss to Paraguay after they had beaten Spain and Bulgaria. He didn't play in the second-round loss to Denmark.

"We are totally shocked by the news. Uche Okafor was a great player who represented his country at the highest level," said Musa Amadu, acting secretary general of the Nigerian Football Federation.

Okafor played for the Wizards from 1996 to 2000.

A friend who could not reach Okafor called Ifeyinwa Okafor, the former star's wife, police said.

"She was at work and she came home and found him," Hinojosa said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/soccer/news/story?id=5998982
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by hackney(m): 9:27pm On Jan 07, 2011
R.I.P uch-man.
You were truly a defence maestro.
(remember how you marked out bebeto in atlanta '96)

Adieu uche.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Limaoscar: 9:31pm On Jan 07, 2011
May is gentle soul rest in peace, for those of us left, Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near (Isa55:6) .

Salavtion is free as Christ has paid with his own blood, For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation (Romans 10:10 ).

Preach blackman, Preach!!!!!!!
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by AndreUweh(m): 9:48pm On Jan 07, 2011
hackney:

R.I.P uch-man.
You were truly a defence maestro.
(remember how you marked out bebeto in atlanta '96)

Adieu uche.
No bros, he was not a member of the Atlanta team in 1996.
Hay his soul rest in peace.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by BlueMagic2(m): 9:52pm On Jan 07, 2011
He lives in Texas U.S. Stories circulating around the Nigerian community is that he was having problem with his wife, who was a nurse, which might have been 1 of the reasons he committed suicide. This has become a major problem amongst Nigerian marriages, a man goes back home marries a nurse brings her to the U.S, she remains a loyal until she starts earning money & gets into the grove with her fellow Nigerian nurses. Then she changes & starts showing her true poor as hell, ghetto self ( i mean you can take the man/woman out of the ghetto but you can't take the ghetto out of the man/woman, Right). Stories abound of Nigerian men killing their wives who are nurses. May his gentle soul R.I.P.

N.B- He should have killed the female dog aka bitch, ass well
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by isalegan2: 10:02pm On Jan 07, 2011
Wow! I can't believe he'd just kill himself like that! Did he have children? I really cannot understand why he would do that if he had children. Terrible. We're all waiting to hear what led to this.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by jpworld(m): 10:43pm On Jan 07, 2011
Depression is a disease, that might be the cost of him committing suicide.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by MAYOWAAK: 10:52pm On Jan 07, 2011
triaophant:

It is very sad indeed. I am still having some doubt that Uche of all persons killed himself. In our hometown, it is an abomination for someone to do that. If it were before, such persons are normally thrown into the evil forest. Uche that I knew from his hometown Ezeakpi Umuabali Ubomiri, in Mbaitoli LGA of Imo State, the same kindred and village with the owner of Zinox Computers, with all his investment at home and abroad under normal circumstances cannot take his life. I am just thinking of his twin brother who runs most of his businesses at Owerri and in Nigeria. He also played football with Iwuanyanwu National FC, but retired when Uche requested that he should take charge of his growing businesses. He was very kind to a fault and was ready to help those who came across him. If it is true, may God have mercy on his soul.

Uche Okafor is not a twin.You are confusing him with Uche Okechukwu who is a twin with whom he played alongside in the National Team.Complete Football Magazine(June 1994) is my source.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Defeats Host (Niger) 2 - 0 || 2015 African U-17 CAF Tourney / Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast. What Are Your Expectations? / Graphic Photos: The Worst Soccer/Sport Injuries Of All Times.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.