Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,429 members, 7,853,862 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 06:35 AM

Uche Okafor Is Dead - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Uche Okafor Is Dead (10845 Views)

Tears, Tears As Uche Okafor Is Buried / Tears, Tears As Uche Okafor Is Buried / Uche Okafor Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by amyg(f): 11:32pm On Jan 07, 2011
Another fine boi gone.wt wil happen 2 his gfs,mistresss&concubines?
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by sunnela: 11:37pm On Jan 07, 2011
I'm Still in shock as is Sunday Oliseh, hear him,

" It comes as a surprise and it's unbelieveable especially with the fact that he's got a lovely family

A lot of people like to brag about the USA 94 set even those who were on the bench(e.g JayJay, Ikpeba  na me dey give example oh) even talk more than those who played (e.g Amokachi, Amuneke na me dey give example oh) but the funny thing is that when we we won the african cup (tunisia 94 ) , Uche was the man who played in the central defence for us all through the tournament , he was a regular all thru the tournament, so he was a very important part of the '94 success that we had in tunisia, WILL

He didnt get to play (@ USA 94) because he he lost his shirt to chidi Nwanu but that notwithstanding he was a major part of the team.
It's a big loss, He was a positive minded person, he always wanted to go forward, That's why it's a big surprise for me." __Sunday Oliseh

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/9349725.stm
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by dayokanu(m): 12:03am On Jan 08, 2011
Siasia wasnt a bench warmer in US1994. Okocha was the benchwarmer.

US 94 first team was Rufai- Eguavoen, UCHE OKECHUKWU, Chidi Nwanu, Ben Iroha/Emenalo- Oliseh, Finidi, Amokahie, Amuneke- SiaSia-Yekini
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by sunnela: 12:13am On Jan 08, 2011
dayokanu:

Siasia wasnt a bench warmer in US1994. Okocha was the benchwarmer.

US 94 first team was  Rufai- Eguavoen, UCHE OKECHUKWU, Chidi Nwanu, Ben Iroha/Emenalo- Oliseh, Finidi, Amokahie, Amuneke- SiaSia-Yekini
My bad, I meant Jayjay, Ikpeba, No wonder Amos Adamu say both of them be Area Boys,   LOL
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by kcjazz(m): 12:21am On Jan 08, 2011
Sad, RIP Uche, thanks for serving our country.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by soloqy: 2:34am On Jan 08, 2011
Since when did Nigerians start turning to suicide as a way out? This is unbelievable. There were no signs. For anyone to commit suicide, the person would have been really troubled and it usually shows. None of his friends or family members has said that he was troubled or had any hints. ESPN just renewed his contract last month. What in the world is going on?

RIP Uche
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by aloyemeka1: 4:34am On Jan 08, 2011
His contract with ESPN just got renewed last month and with all the millions, he committed suicide. Something is fishy here and it is a pity that he was African. Dallas police will not waste their lean resources investigating his death.

He could have been battling depression or other mental illnesses. Some people are also programmed with 'jazz' from Africa  to commit suicide. On the other hand, he may have been involved with some bad guys who decided to "suicide-him" in order to pocket his share of their deal. YES, people can be suicided. If there is no evidence of mental sickness, prescription medication for depression or other sicknesses of that nature, I suggest they look deeper.

If he was flat broke and out, one may understand it but he wasn't because no matter how lean the economy is, ESPN will be paying him more than $150k annually for his services.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by rasputinn(m): 9:23am On Jan 08, 2011
Last time I saw him was last year on ESPN,he appeared to be doing okay,why hanging,was it suicide or homicide,TX police dept over to you
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by switchmax8: 11:06am On Jan 08, 2011
May his soul rest in the bossom of the lord.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by SmashingM(f): 11:06am On Jan 08, 2011
What a pathetic news. I was not really a fan of football then but to read that such a fine player committed suicide; it's unbelievable.

May his soul rest in perfect peace.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by geemee(m): 11:17am On Jan 08, 2011
May you rest in peace, Amen.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Becomrichn: 12:50pm On Jan 08, 2011
they call him the gentle gaint. uche, we would miss you. this is how nigeria treat thier hero.

may your soul rest in peace. i am lost for word.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Ibomade1: 2:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
r.i.p
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Xomba(m): 5:59pm On Jan 08, 2011
Lovely player
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Benzora(m): 8:13pm On Jan 08, 2011
RIP Uche!
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by isalegan2: 8:23pm On Jan 08, 2011
Becomrichn:

they call him the gentle gaint. uche, we would miss you. this is how nigeria treat thier hero.

Did Nigeria do something bad to him? I'm just asking cos I don't know what you mean, that's all.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by emodo(m): 8:35pm On Jan 08, 2011
rip uche fare well bro
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by category(m): 9:56pm On Jan 08, 2011
Becomrichn:

He was not the one they call Gentle Giant but Uche Okechukwu.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by orgasm(m): 11:55pm On Jan 08, 2011
This is very sad. May his soul rest in peace and my his family find peace in the lord. He was a fine defender and his combination with uche okechukwu(gentle giant) gave peter rufai a good cover thereby creating of the best defensive midfield in the history of nigerian football. Thank you for what u gave for nigeria football.
May God bless ur soul. Amen.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Ranoscky(m): 2:14pm On Jan 09, 2011
All this peeps screamin suicide, who tell una say im die by suicide, biko nu? undecided
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by FBS: 5:07pm On Jan 09, 2011
Rest In Peace Uche Okafor.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by naijangel7(f): 6:20pm On Jan 09, 2011
Becomrichn:

UCHE OKECHUKWU was the Uche known as Gentle Giant, not UCHE OKAFOR. Also, from all indications so far, Nigeria doesn´t have a hand in his death. So what do you mean? Do you know something we don´t?
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by aloyemeka1: 10:03pm On Jan 09, 2011

Uche Okafor (right) coaches at ESPN Caribbean/Flow Montego Bay Football clinics. Photo credit: Anthony Harris
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by mamagee3(f): 12:31am On Jan 10, 2011
May his soul rest in perfect peace!
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by soloqy: 1:54am On Jan 10, 2011
This report here further convinces me this was no suicide : http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/uche-kissed-me-and-said-bye-bye-wife-2/

No one believes it.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by UNLEASHED(m): 3:31am On Jan 10, 2011
May hiss gentle soul RIP
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by aloyemeka1: 3:38am On Jan 10, 2011
[size=14pt]Uche kissed me and said bye-bye – Wife[/size]
SportsJan 10, 2011
By Onochie Anibeze
Moments after Uche Okafor made inquiries on certain issues of Nigerian football and possibilities of his awaited engagement by the Nigeria Football Federation, the ex Super Eagles star was found hanging in his house at Little Elm in the neighborhood of Plano in Dallas, Texas.

LAte Uche Okafor
Going by the report of his death, this reporter would probably be the last or one of the last contacts he made before he died last Thursday.
Uche had called to find out the latest development on various committees of the Nigeria Football Federation.  NFF President Aminu Maigairi had promised to appoint him into one of the committees.
He had hopes of serving in the Technical Committee but when his name was not announced  Maigari, in line with his policy to engage knowledgeable ex stars into administration, promised to include him in Youth Development Committee and possibly Marketing Committee.
Maigari also confirmed to this reporter that he would appoint Uche into one of the  the committees if not two.
Uche had worked for Nuel Okorougo when the sports marketing buff worked for Nigeria. He also did a little bit of youth coaching in the United States but had never wanted to be a full time coach.
He was awaiting the NFF appointment when he spoke with this reporter last Thursday, just before he died .
He also spoke  about  his discussion with Samson Siasia the previous day. He said that the new Eagles manager who visited USA and was on his way back to Nigeria had asked him why he wasn’t interested in taking up appointment in Nigeria. Uche said that he told Siasia that he was wrong and that he actually would like to serve in any capacity other than coaching.
“I just want to be on the ground at home, Onochie,” Uche said, adding “Siasia even suggested that I could talk to chairman of Technical Committee, Chris Green and the President, Maigari.  There are things that I could do – team manager’s job, welfare officer or even the spokesman if it’s true that Peter side Idah is no longer interested in the job.

But I heard that he could still want  the job. I don’t know what’s causing the delay in the announcement of committees. I just want to be on ground and the committee work could facilitate that.”
It was one of the many times in the recent past that he had called this reporter to inquire about goings-on in the football federation especially with regard to appointments and future of Nigerian football.
“I have a lot to offer. I just hope we can change things and go the modern way,” he said during the NFF elections.
This reporter told him to be ready to serve in the Youth Development Committee and said that “if they do youth development the right way, there will be many activities and you will have a lot to do for our football.”
Uche told me that ideas and programmes would make the difference and not just announcing the committees and we agreed that his likes would make the difference.
He was always talking about the future of Nigerian football and what he could do to help.
Uche had always been a soft-spoken person and he was not different last Thursday. His voice was low and the discussion was not totally conclusive as he noticed that I was munching something.

“It appears you are eating,” he said. When I affirmed he said “Let me leave you to finish eating. I will call again.”
The call never came but the news of his death.
His teammate, Ben Iroha, whose family also leaves in Dallas, confirmed his death before this reporter also reached his wife Friday. Iroha said that one Nde Onjiaka had called Uche severally on the faithful day and when he did not answer he called the wife, Ify. Ify then wondered why her husband was not picking his calls and called herself.
When he did not also pick she became worried and rushed home from work to find the husband hanging.
When this reporter reached Ify on phone Friday, she cried and shouted loudly.
“Onochie, Uche has left us oooo. Uche has left us ooo.”   There was a strong plea for her to try to be strong although that was going to be difficult at that moment.  She later calmed down a little bit and said the following: “I left for work early as usual. He kissed me and said bye bye as usual. Later he went to drop Tochukwu (their daughter) at school. That’s what he usually does. It was later in the day that somebody called to tell me that he was not taking his calls and when I called it was the same. I then ran home and on getting home I was calling Daddy, daddy. Nobody answered. I passed the living room and went to our bed room. He was not there. I went upstairs to find him hanging. I shouted. It was shocking and devastating. I just have not been able put it together. The police came and removed his body and took his mobile phone.  That is our story, Onochie. Did Uche tell you anything? Why should this happen?”

This reporter informed that we spoke on Thursday about 4pm which should be between 10 to 11 am in Dallas.
“Oh My God! So, at 11 am my husband was still alive? I wish somebody had come earlier. Oh! God what is happening?
On her daughter she said that she had been taken to a friend’s house.  Ify’s sister who had called off to stay with her said that her prayers were that whatever led to Uche’s death would be discovered.

STEPHEN KESHI
Few minutes after Uche’s death became news, it spread all over the world.  One of those who called was Stephen Keshi, his captain in their active days. Keshi could not believe this. At the time he called, this reporter had not reached Ify and still hoped that it was a rumour.  Keshi hoped so too but said the following:  “He spoke with me two weeks ago and talked about going to Nigeria soon. He was of the opinion that we should be getting home to help build our football. So why should he take his life. I still don’t believe it. How can Uche die like that? There were no signs of frustration or depression. He was fine by many standards. Why? Why? Why? I just hope it’s not true.”
When in a second call it was confirmed Keshi said he never been so confused in his life.
“I have not been able to sleep. I just can’t understand. I’m down. I still can’t believe.

BEN IROHA
I just can’t believe that Uche could hang himself. Thorough investigation should be made. He was not hungry, he was doing well. And even if there were problems, should they warrant taking of one’s life? I just can’t believe this. We have been talking and he never gave any such sign.
My brother, it is true that Uche is gone. He was found hanging in his house dead.

MIKE EMENALO
The Chelsea assistant coach called from London Saturday and had not recovered from the shock at the time he spoke.  Uche had last year visited him with his daughter and they watched their match against Manchester United. They remained close friends from their days in Eagles till the last parting. He said:
“It doesn’t make sense to me. Uche committing suicide? It doesn’t make sense. If it was a case of cardiac arrest or high blood pressure one can understand.  But this doesn’t make sense to me. If it’s true that he hung himself then all of us must be afraid. I have not been able to put myself together since I heard the news.  Listen, Uche loved the wife and daughter so much, so why should he punish them? It is unbelievable. I really don’t know what to say. I am still in shock

SYLVANUS OPKALA
Nobody has been able to believe what happened. Uche was a humble man who never liked trouble. He stayed away from controversy even as a player. Anywhere there some kind of trouble or mere disagreement, he stayed away. The nature of his death cannot be reconciled .

CHIDI NWANU
Chdid Nwanu cried for long, not being able to make any coherent statement. He was devastated. He was their sponsor at marriage in Belgium
“Jesus the Lord, Jesus the Lord,” he repeated.
“How could it be? God. God. On the day he died, I wanted to call him but somehow I kept it in view. I said I would call later. Could my call have saved his life? God. What is this? Oh! my God.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/uche-kissed-me-and-said-bye-bye-wife-2/
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by frankoko(m): 9:46am On Jan 10, 2011
Late Uche Okafor did not take his life, it has been revealed! Follow me on the Super Morning show for an exclusive interview with late Uche's brother all the way from the U.S, George Essien On 88.9 Brila FM http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=george+essien&init=quick&tas=search_preload#!/gessien1
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Blazing99: 11:28am On Jan 10, 2011
aloy/emeka:

[size=14pt]Uche kissed me and said bye-bye – Wife[/size]
SportsJan 10, 2011
By Onochie Anibeze
Moments after Uche Okafor made inquiries on certain issues of Nigerian football and possibilities of his awaited engagement by the Nigeria Football Federation, the ex Super Eagles star was found hanging in his house at Little Elm in the neighborhood of Plano in Dallas, Texas.

LAte Uche Okafor
Going by the report of his death, this reporter would probably be the last or one of the last contacts he made before he died last Thursday.
Uche had called to find out the latest development on various committees of the Nigeria Football Federation.  NFF President Aminu Maigairi had promised to appoint him into one of the committees.
He had hopes of serving in the Technical Committee but when his name was not announced  Maigari, in line with his policy to engage knowledgeable ex stars into administration, promised to include him in Youth Development Committee and possibly Marketing Committee.
Maigari also confirmed to this reporter that he would appoint Uche into one of the  the committees if not two.
Uche had worked for Nuel Okorougo when the sports marketing buff worked for Nigeria. He also did a little bit of youth coaching in the United States but had never wanted to be a full time coach.
He was awaiting the NFF appointment when he spoke with this reporter last Thursday, just before he died .
He also spoke  about  his discussion with Samson Siasia the previous day. He said that the new Eagles manager who visited USA and was on his way back to Nigeria had asked him why he wasn’t interested in taking up appointment in Nigeria. Uche said that he told Siasia that he was wrong and that he actually would like to serve in any capacity other than coaching.
“I just want to be on the ground at home, Onochie,” Uche said, adding “Siasia even suggested that I could talk to chairman of Technical Committee, Chris Green and the President, Maigari.  There are things that I could do – team manager’s job, welfare officer or even the spokesman if it’s true that Peter side Idah is no longer interested in the job.

But I heard that he could still want  the job. I don’t know what’s causing the delay in the announcement of committees. I just want to be on ground and the committee work could facilitate that.”
It was one of the many times in the recent past that he had called this reporter to inquire about goings-on in the football federation especially with regard to appointments and future of Nigerian football.
“I have a lot to offer. I just hope we can change things and go the modern way,” he said during the NFF elections.
This reporter told him to be ready to serve in the Youth Development Committee and said that “if they do youth development the right way, there will be many activities and you will have a lot to do for our football.”
Uche told me that ideas and programmes would make the difference and not just announcing the committees and we agreed that his likes would make the difference.
He was always talking about the future of Nigerian football and what he could do to help.
Uche had always been a soft-spoken person and he was not different last Thursday. His voice was low and the discussion was not totally conclusive as he noticed that I was munching something.

“It appears you are eating,” he said. When I affirmed he said “Let me leave you to finish eating. I will call again.”
The call never came but the news of his death.
His teammate, Ben Iroha, whose family also leaves in Dallas, confirmed his death before this reporter also reached his wife Friday. Iroha said that one Nde Onjiaka had called Uche severally on the faithful day and when he did not answer he called the wife, Ify. Ify then wondered why her husband was not picking his calls and called herself.
When he did not also pick she became worried and rushed home from work to find the husband hanging.
When this reporter reached Ify on phone Friday, she cried and shouted loudly.
“Onochie, Uche has left us oooo. Uche has left us ooo.”   There was a strong plea for her to try to be strong although that was going to be difficult at that moment.  She later calmed down a little bit and said the following: “I left for work early as usual. He kissed me and said bye bye as usual. Later he went to drop Tochukwu (their daughter) at school. That’s what he usually does. It was later in the day that somebody called to tell me that he was not taking his calls and when I called it was the same. I then ran home and on getting home I was calling Daddy, daddy. Nobody answered. I passed the living room and went to our bed room. He was not there. I went upstairs to find him hanging. I shouted. It was shocking and devastating. I just have not been able put it together. The police came and removed his body and took his mobile phone.  That is our story, Onochie. Did Uche tell you anything? Why should this happen?”

This reporter informed that we spoke on Thursday about 4pm which should be between 10 to 11 am in Dallas.
“Oh My God! So, at 11 am my husband was still alive? I wish somebody had come earlier. Oh! God what is happening?
On her daughter she said that she had been taken to a friend’s house.  Ify’s sister who had called off to stay with her said that her prayers were that whatever led to Uche’s death would be discovered.

STEPHEN KESHI
Few minutes after Uche’s death became news, it spread all over the world.  One of those who called was Stephen Keshi, his captain in their active days. Keshi could not believe this. At the time he called, this reporter had not reached Ify and still hoped that it was a rumour.  Keshi hoped so too but said the following:  “He spoke with me two weeks ago and talked about going to Nigeria soon. He was of the opinion that we should be getting home to help build our football. So why should he take his life. I still don’t believe it. How can Uche die like that? There were no signs of frustration or depression. He was fine by many standards. Why? Why? Why? I just hope it’s not true.”
When in a second call it was confirmed Keshi said he never been so confused in his life.
“I have not been able to sleep. I just can’t understand. I’m down. I still can’t believe.

BEN IROHA
I just can’t believe that Uche could hang himself. Thorough investigation should be made. He was not hungry, he was doing well. And even if there were problems, should they warrant taking of one’s life? I just can’t believe this. We have been talking and he never gave any such sign.
My brother, it is true that Uche is gone. He was found hanging in his house dead.

MIKE EMENALO
The Chelsea assistant coach called from London Saturday and had not recovered from the shock at the time he spoke.  Uche had last year visited him with his daughter and they watched their match against Manchester United. They remained close friends from their days in Eagles till the last parting. He said:
“It doesn’t make sense to me. Uche committing suicide? It doesn’t make sense. If it was a case of cardiac arrest or high blood pressure one can understand.  But this doesn’t make sense to me. If it’s true that he hung himself then all of us must be afraid. I have not been able to put myself together since I heard the news.  Listen, Uche loved the wife and daughter so much, so why should he punish them? It is unbelievable. I really don’t know what to say. I am still in shock

SYLVANUS OPKALA
Nobody has been able to believe what happened. Uche was a humble man who never liked trouble. He stayed away from controversy even as a player. Anywhere there some kind of trouble or mere disagreement, he stayed away. The nature of his death cannot be reconciled .

CHIDI NWANU
Chdid Nwanu cried for long, not being able to make any coherent statement. He was devastated. He was their sponsor at marriage in Belgium
“Jesus the Lord, Jesus the Lord,” he repeated.
“How could it be? God. God. On the day he died, I wanted to call him but somehow I kept it in view. I said I would call later. Could my call have saved his life? God. What is this? Oh! my God.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/01/uche-kissed-me-and-said-bye-bye-wife-2/

IT's really a pity. So sad he had to take this route. May his soul rest in peace.
Please for those at anytime contemplating suicide, think bout those you might break their hearts by doing so. If you could live again after suicide, you'll wish you never did it.
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by girlinc: 11:48pm On Jan 10, 2011
this is sad news o, but seriously, they cant be saying it s suicide cos Nigerians are survivors. we dont do dat kinda thing na. abi dem follow am frm house i smell a big dirty rat,seriously!
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by Oloriode: 12:35am On Jan 11, 2011
May God console ALL his families.
Hymm!The end justify the means.
WHERE WILL YOU SPEND ETERNITY?
Re: Uche Okafor Is Dead by kodewrita(m): 9:13am On Jan 11, 2011
may his soul rest in perfect peace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Booked Bets And Betting Tips / Enugu Government Allocates Plots Of Land To Rangers Players / Nigeria Vs Ivory Coast. What Are Your Expectations?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.