Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,015 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth (38163 Views)

Tips On Dealing With Your Cars' Air Conditioning (AC System) Issues. / See Important Reasons Why You Need To Get Your Cars Tinted (2020) / Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by GODWIN78(m): 4:05pm On Apr 29, 2020
yusufu16:

Don't mind them. Car is a necessity and not a luxury especially if you leave in Abuja, Lagos, Ibadan, PortHarcour etc.

I wonder how somebody will buy house and not have a car. Car will increase your productivity as you will not need to waste valuable time on transportation.
ABI O ONE IDIOT GO COME DEY TELL U BROS SHIFT NA..

1 Like

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by InvertedHammer: 4:08pm On Apr 29, 2020
baconline:
I think the value of your cars relative to your net worth should be between 0 to 20% , anything more than that might be irresponsible.

I have seen guys who value their cars eat up 80% of their net worth. They are just forming big boys. I don talk my own two cents
/

Nothing more than 5% on cars.

If you cannot comfortably buy 5 of them at the same time, then you cannot afford it.

\
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by SocialJustice: 4:08pm On Apr 29, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Very good, but difficult.

That means if you are using a car of N2 million, you should have a minimum Networth of N20 million.
Yes. It will be hard for flashers to do though not me. That's what I do.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by emmanuelewumi(m): 4:10pm On Apr 29, 2020
SocialJustice:
Yes. It will be hard for flashers to do though not me. That's what I do.

Mine is 5%, and usually bought from returns on investment

But I can't preach that to people
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by InvertedHammer: 4:11pm On Apr 29, 2020
Kingpele:
; hi am still thinking how this rubbish made frontpage, people taste differ, someone that have a sure steady income can use all his savings to buy a car, provided he can maintain it, I can't come and buy beetle just cos I want to save money. after all petrol is the same price for every one, i remember when I was driving one car then everyone on check point will stop me including boyscout and they will demand bribe, still
continued until God saved me from my village people and I got a clean ride... Just yesterday I was coming from where i went to buy something for this lockdown... Menh I saw police check point with keke and cars parked right and left... Police was just looking at me unable to makeup their mind whether to stop me. I just zoomed pass, if na that my former ride I know they will flogged me join... Please hustle well so that u won't go and buy nonsense car in the name of cutting cost.... I don talk my own
/

Your ability to zoom past Nigerian police is how you calculate your net worth? grin grin grin

\

6 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Nobody: 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2020
hardbody:

The guy you quoted is kinda right.

Ever since I picked up a prado 2016 (or so because i am not even sure of the year again) (upgraded) and then i personalized the registration number, I have never been stopped by the Police. When they do, it is always about what I have for them, no one talks about papers. Some in the earlier days were so funny that they will only touch the body of the suv and touch themselves and then raise both hands towards heaven. grin

A whack country this is...
This is interesting. I keep using plain corollas to 'hide in plain sight' and I wondered why police/road safety still stop me on the regular. Should have just gone for that Infinity.

1 Like

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by babyboy4every1: 4:23pm On Apr 29, 2020
Some people just like to dey mince words. The op didn't say u shouldn't buy a car of ur choice. All he was saying is that, there are some guys (my 4 friends onclusive) that emptied there account for a car. They are jobless. They only hursle (according to their saying). Tell me how will they cope if their maga refused to pay. If u must buy a car, Atleast u must still have something sensible in ur account. Any logical business man will never empty his account for a car.

1 Like

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Hoodbilonia: 4:24pm On Apr 29, 2020
Cashout everyweek
3k dollars
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Newboss(m): 4:25pm On Apr 29, 2020
grandstar:

Anyone that spends 20m to buy a car out of a 100m deal won't think the way your saying. It's when the money is down to 40m that his eyes will clear. I'm an estate agent and I know what am saying.
FGN Bond pays at least 10% a year. Put that 80m there you get at least 8m every year while the 80m remains untouched. If you think that's not enough, then you're very greedy.

3 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Newboss(m): 4:29pm On Apr 29, 2020
seanwilliam:
your net worth is really everything you own of significance (your assets) minus what you owe in debts (your liabilities). Assets include cash and investments, your home and other real estate, cars or anything else of value you own.

Loan is also an asset. Loan repayment is an expense.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Olumyyde(m): 4:38pm On Apr 29, 2020
IkpuNnegiEwu44:
How do u calculate networth of a civil servant.

In 2016, I saved and used all my savings to buy car. Next month I got paid and managed for some months and started saving again. In 2018 I bought 2 plots of land, completed d fencing in 2019, now saving for d house.

So how did using my whole saving to buy car an unwise decision?
Very good, I also saved for the car I'm driving now. Thank GOD the salary is monthly, I balanced again n started my savings. If I like I could sell this car, upgrade n then start saving for a plot. Nobody tells me at this age how to handle my finances.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Olumyyde(m): 5:00pm On Apr 29, 2020
ajl:

Only a Nigerian can use all his savings to buy a car because he has a steady income. I know a businessman wouldn't do that. So, meaning only an employee can do this. This type of person need prayer.

Or you are a victim of Nigeria's "unnatural" circumstances. So, you bought a car on the basis of avoiding police checkpoints. Who still normal for this Nija?
At the end of the day, it's different strokes for different folks, it ain't no crime.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Solomon8144: 5:08pm On Apr 29, 2020
Slawormir:
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Isoright

I understand op very well

But sometimes ehnnn the easiest way to also conquer poverty is to also fake this life and package your life

Even if you don't have much just try and buy that expensive ride. Form big boy for area. That can even attract those people that will even make you to be big

Take for example: you want award contract give two people. One drive Audi car come and the other person drive venza come. Instantly your mind go first tell you say na this venza guy deserve the contract
So to you Toyota venza is more of a luxury ride than audi?
Na weed full ur head

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Olumyyde(m): 5:12pm On Apr 29, 2020
Princewill1:
The rule is:

Don't buy any luxury you can't afford to buy twice!

Before buying for example a N3million car ask yourself.

Can I afford to buy this car twice without running into financial crisis? If you can afford to buy it twice without any problems.

Then you are qualified to pay for it

Opinionated submission.

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by amiskurie(m): 5:15pm On Apr 29, 2020
I currently drive 2010 toyota Corolla

In as much as I love cars, acquiring properties still top my agenda for my age.

So when in my forties, I can relax my aggressive investments to use whatever ride I like.

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by hustla(m): 5:19pm On Apr 29, 2020
lebete3000:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

Me I've even vowed never to take loan again, except to start a business.

I'm just completing a loan of 536k I collected last year May, and I realised I didn't use it to do ANYTHING! Except to buy gadgets, fvck olosho, and drink fine wine. Even Car sef I no buy!

Na now my eyes just dey clear after paying above 100k in interest. I just dey shake head for myself, but e go better sha.

Now, the next loan I collect, I go make sure sey i don get my biz plan ready, b4 I collect am...

The tin just be like sey na devil dey do me of, walahi!

I wan laugh injure

Which interest rate dey ontop am? and which bank give you that kain loan?
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by hustla(m): 5:20pm On Apr 29, 2020
amiskurie:
I currently drive 2010 toyota Corolla

In as much as I love cars, acquiring properties still top my agenda for my age.

So when in my forties, I can relax my aggressive investments to use whatever ride I like.

You gotta be wise with properties too and ask the experts .. else OYO na your case o
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by NiCurious: 5:21pm On Apr 29, 2020
Cars are not just a one-time purchase. They require maintenance, repair, talk nothing of repeated purchases of "little" things like fuel and lubricants. One bad meeting with a Dangote truck or even with a smaller vehicle, can reduce the car's value to zero (and maybe your life as well, if you are unfortunate to be in the car when it happens). Therefore, tying up a great portion of your net worth in something that can easily lose its value in the blink of an eye, is highly unwise!

1 Like

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by IamHonourable1: 5:28pm On Apr 29, 2020
[quote author=weyreypey post=88809548]
Some take commercial bank loans to buy cars ... Do you know that? I guess that's what the op was referring to....

But how on earth would someone borrow just to buy a car? Not even for business purposes.
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by duality(m): 5:40pm On Apr 29, 2020
lebete3000:

That's because of the mentality of the country you're in.

What's the name of the nice ride you changed to by the way?

Bros forget that thing ooo. For my side of Lagos, na people whe dey drive cars when big pass them, na him police dey disturb pass. Especially for evening.

I kid you not!
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by SocialJustice: 6:24pm On Apr 29, 2020
emmanuelewumi:

Mine is 5%, and usually bought from returns on investment

But I can't preach that to people
Just do your thing. I know a billionaire who uses a 2005 Toyota highlander. Goes to his spare part shop to sit everyday but his plantain farm is on endless hectares.

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:29pm On Apr 29, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/

Nothing more than 5% on cars.

If you cannot comfortably buy 5 of them at the same time, then you cannot afford it.

\

Why stop at five? Why not twenty?

This kain poverty mentality wey una dey get so.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by HeavenlyBang(m): 6:31pm On Apr 29, 2020
Hoodbilonia:
Cashout everyweek
3k dollars

12k a month nai your mumu life still dey like this.

I know say na rubbish you go reply with. No need, I no go reply you. grin
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by larryking540: 6:34pm On Apr 29, 2020
Who knows the price for camery big for nothing and the actual name of the car
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by larryking540: 6:52pm On Apr 29, 2020
DexterousOne:

Nigerians no dey hear word.

That has always been our problem

Do u have idea how much is camery big for nothing ,and what's the actual name pls
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Hoodbilonia: 6:52pm On Apr 29, 2020
Her
Her
Haha
Haha
I'm
Ham
I said
I'm
Ham
Harm
I'm Rich in crypto currency coins
HeavenlyBang:

12k a month nai your mumu life still dey like this.

I know say na rubbish you go reply with. No need, I no go reply you. grin
Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Elxandre(m): 6:59pm On Apr 29, 2020
SocialJustice:
You're right, 20% is even high, it shouldn't go beyond 10%.
Unrealistic comment.
So to buy a corolla one would have to amass over 10 million Naira firstly. Lol

2 Likes

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by TheTraveler: 7:01pm On Apr 29, 2020
hardbody:

The guy you quoted is kinda right.

Ever since I picked up a prado 2016 (or so because i am not even sure of the year again) (upgraded) and then i personalized the registration number, I have never been stopped by the Police. When they do, it is always about what I have for them, no one talks about papers. Some in the earlier days were so funny that they will only touch the body of the suv and touch themselves and then raise both hands towards heaven. grin

A whack country this is...

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by TheTraveler: 7:09pm On Apr 29, 2020
lebete3000:

Gosh!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

But people dey ball for naija sha...meen I need to roll with men like you, to know how to setup a business man!

I'm a medical Doctor but not interested in opening a Hospital biz, cos naija patients no dey like pay Hospital bills.

I'm thinking more of setting up a beer parlor and then upgrading it to a bar. What do you think?
It's a smart move bro, you've to be very mindful in selecting your employees.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by tonididdy(m): 7:28pm On Apr 29, 2020
homeboy205:
I understand, but check a situation out.

Let’s say you have 10m in your bank account today and you REALLY REALLY wish to drive a Benz(I MEAN THOSE MONEY YOU WILL SPEND WITHOUT THINKING TWICE NO MATTER WHAT). You can still opt for 3m Benz just to be safe.

Ok. You are my friend, you just bought Benz of 3m, in this Nigeria economy. I know you don’t have only 3m, I will predict you having 5m(not to exaggerate)...

But after buying the car if you go lowest key and let 1 or 2 people know you are broke. (I mean having people buy fuel in the new Benz)Mehn believe me everybody will believe you are broke..

What OP is trying to say is that those homeboys are broke and they are driving big cars forming big boys. You need to stay under the same roof with anyone before concluding they are broke.

So to answer own questions , IF YOU DONT ACT BROKE IN NIGERIA THEY WILL DRAIN YOU ....

I have first hand experience...

Exactly esp if you are a bachelor.
Demands and request will be coming left, right and centre.
You automatically become the breadwinner of the family overnight.

Well @the topic, if you can't afford to buy a car twice at a go then don't buy one.
Eg: if you want a benz of 3m, you must be able to afford 2benzx at once otherwise you shouldnt get one

1 Like

Re: Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth by Olumyyde(m): 7:42pm On Apr 29, 2020
babyboy4every1:
Some people just like to dey mince words. The op didn't say u shouldn't buy a car of ur choice. All he was saying is that, there are some guys (my 4 friends onclusive) that emptied there account for a car. They are jobless. They only hursle (according to their saying). Tell me how will they cope if their maga refused to pay[b]. If u must buy a car, Atleast u must still have something sensible in ur account.[/b] Any logical business man will never empty his account for a car.
What about emptying ur account to buy a car on the 27th of a month n then salary alert shows up on the 29th? No mind us civil servants. Lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2018 Lexus GS F (price, Photos And Features) / BMW 766i Valkyrie 4×4 Is The Most Monstrous BMW You've Ever Seen (photos) / Container Falls On A Toyota Hiace Bus Along Ilasa-Oshodi Expressway (Pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.