Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,892 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car (11880 Views)

Cars With Good Resale Value / Total Value Of Your Cars Relative To Your Net Worth / Six Ways To Kill Your Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by naijadrivablog: 8:38am On Jul 10, 2019
[img]https://naijadriva.files./2019/07/bottom-box-progressive-car-care-lube-1798126617.jpg?w=584[/img]

It is true that some cars or car models (such as Toyota Corollas) hold their values well, while others (such as Kia) do not but whatever car it is, taking the following steps would help it to relatively hold its resale value. But do you know exactly what you can do to protect your car?

Here six tips on retaining the value of your car:
1. Be Kind to Your Car: You may feel tempted to show off your car by careless speeding, abrupt braking and increasing the music in your car but it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and keep your speed below the recommended limit, which is usually 100Km/hr on highways and varying limits depending on stipulated limits and prevailing driving conditions.

At the same time, do not exceed 3,000 rpms. Cars should never be left to idle for long periods, but don’t start a car and go as you need to let it idle for at least a minute for straight engines and 3-5mins for turbos and superchargers.

It would also be best to avoid heavy loads on the drive train by limiting what you put in the trunk and roof rack, and don’t tow trailers too. This is why it is risky to buy most Nigerians used vehicles is this, and some drivers tow other vehicles with their vehicles that is not designed to do so.
Keeping your car clean always with automobile friendly detergent, water and other tools is the cheapest maintenance you can do to your car.
Always service the oil and other parts timely and use genuine parts and correct oil type.

2. Get a Comprehensive Insurance: Accidents happen, no matter how careful you are, you may still be involved in an accident. Use a reputable Insurance Company who will use reputable repair centers if the need arrives, as this will ensure that repairs are guaranteed and that original and manufacturer authorized parts are used. Also, in case of an accident and your car is written off, you do not lose out, as the insurance company may give you another car or pays you a percentage of the value.
Third Party insurance is actually no insurance. Most Nigerians however take this policy, which is of little or no help to them.

3. Keep a Log of Your Repairs: A car log is a great way to keep tabs on your car’s health. By making a note whenever you do oil change, change any parts, or top-up gas, as you will be able to see if the gas mileage worsens, which is an early warning sign of likely problems. Also, use a good mechanic always.
A car seller who keeps a log of his car gives the buyer an impression of a well used car.

4. Be Gas Savvy: Before filling up, ask whether the gas is filtered at the pump, and how often the station replaces pump filters. If you don’t get satisfactory answers, find another station. But since it is hard to get honest information about this, stick to newer or reputable fuel stations.

Also, if you see a petrol tanker filling up the tanks at your fuel station, avoid filling up there for a few days because the turbulence of the filling process can stir up sediment, which can clog up your car’s fuel injectors and fuel filters, which can result in poor performance at best, and potential repairs.

5. Loads Off!: If your car key shares the chain with several other keys, it can cause ignition switch failure. Nigerians are guilty of this as they can have their shop keys, house key, keys to the house in their villages and office key in the same bunch.
Rather separate the car’s key from the others to lighten the load, and to ensure you drive only with the car key in the ignition. The first sign of ignition switch failure is when your ignition key sticks when you try to turn on the car.

6. Avoid Unnecessary Wear and Tear: Avoid abrupt braking, uneven acceleration, slow down at bumps, too much honking of the horn (a typical Nigerian driver’s driving habit), give considerable distance between cars in front of you, horning before overtaking (always observe the “Look-Signal-Move” routine), avoiding unnecessary mileage can also go a long way to avoid possible accidents and weather damage to the exterior of your car and park your car in shades or use a tarpaulin. Wear and tear reduces the resale value of your car.

What do you think?

Source: https://naijadriva./2019/07/10/6-ways-to-preserve-the-value-of-your-car/

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by haryourdayG(m): 11:38am On Jul 11, 2019
Thank you for the tips

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by naijadrivablog: 7:55pm On Jul 11, 2019
haryourdayG:
Thank you for the tips

Thanks for stopping by.

lalasticlacla
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by Wigetsolar: 6:17pm On Jul 15, 2019
. embarassed

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by Nobledavid(f): 7:31am On Jul 20, 2019
I started mining Zcash (ZEC) on telegram 3weeks ago and I've official made 0.001 ZEC.
Right now 1ZEC is $83
Its very small but very fast to mine if you give time to it and if you can be able to introduce more than 500 people to it by using your referrer link.
You can ask anywhere
BTC is the highest crypto coin but very hard to get for free which is to simply say BTC isn't free
You have to invest your time to get it
Am not going to waste your time
Zcash is a crypto coin that can be mined now .
Grab this opportunity now.
You can make millions in the next 2-3 years to come
Don't look at it as a little thing.
Its huge
Join the crypto world now
Not when next year Zcash turns to a $200 per coin
And then you start finding a way to earn it
Contact me now on the WhatsApp number you see below.
You must have Telegram
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by SoftP(m): 7:32am On Jul 20, 2019
The truth is, majority of us in Nigeria have better maintenance culture than people outside here,but direct ascess to factory product car parts and our roads makes it difficult for us to retain that special value...

5 Likes

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by DIKEnaWAR: 7:32am On Jul 20, 2019
There's no way to preserve resale value except to be careful. A car loses value immediately you drive it out of the car shop.

11 Likes

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by 4ckTOT0: 7:37am On Jul 20, 2019
DIKEnaWAR:
There's no way to preserve resale value except to be careful. A car loses value immediately you drive it out of the car shop.
is what he wrote here being careless?

3 Likes

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by MobilityExpress: 7:39am On Jul 20, 2019
M
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by chukwuibuipob: 7:41am On Jul 20, 2019
for sale,gew months used '99 Honda accord @600k fl@t Nothing to fix.Ac dey kampe.
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by Ahmeduana(m): 7:47am On Jul 20, 2019
naijadrivablog:

[img]https://naijadriva.files./2019/07/bottom-box-progressive-car-care-lube-1798126617.jpg?w=584[/img]

It is true that some cars or car models (such as Toyota Corollas) hold their values well, while others (such as Kia) do not but whatever car it is, taking the following steps would help it to relatively hold its resale value. But do you know exactly what you can do to protect your car?

1. Be Kind to Your Car: You may feel tempted to show off your car by careless speeding, abrupt braking and increasing the music in your car but it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and keep your speed below the recommended limit, which is usually 100Km/hr on highways and varying limits depending on stipulated limits and prevailing driving conditions.

At the same time, do not exceed 3,000 rpms. Cars should never be left to idle for long periods, but don’t start a car and go as you need to let it idle for at least a minute for straight engines and 3-5mins for turbos and superchargers.

It would also be best to avoid heavy loads on the drive train by limiting what you put in the trunk and roof rack, and don’t tow trailers too. This is why it is risky to buy most Nigerians used vehicles is this, and some drivers tow other vehicles with their vehicles that is not designed to do so.
Keeping your car clean always with automobile friendly detergent, water and other tools is the cheapest maintenance you can do to your car.
Always service the oil and other parts timely and use genuine parts and correct oil type.

2. Get a Comprehensive Insurance: Accidents happen, no matter how careful you are, you may still be involved in an accident. Use a reputable Insurance Company who will use reputable repair centers if the need arrives, as this will ensure that repairs are guaranteed and that original and manufacturer authorized parts are used. Also, in case of an accident and your car is written off, you do not lose out, as the insurance company may give you another car or pays you a percentage of the value.
Third Party insurance is actually no insurance. Most Nigerians however take this policy, which is of little or no help to them.

3. Keep a Log of Your Repairs: A car log is a great way to keep tabs on your car’s health. By making a note whenever you do oil change, change any parts, or top-up gas, as you will be able to see if the gas mileage worsens, which is an early warning sign of likely problems. Also, use a good mechanic always.
A car seller who keeps a log of his car gives the buyer an impression of a well used car.

4. Be Gas Savvy: Before filling up, ask whether the gas is filtered at the pump, and how often the station replaces pump filters. If you don’t get satisfactory answers, find another station. But since it is hard to get honest information about this, stick to newer or reputable fuel stations.

Also, if you see a petrol tanker filling up the tanks at your fuel station, avoid filling up there for a few days because the turbulence of the filling process can stir up sediment, which can clog up your car’s fuel injectors and fuel filters, which can result in poor performance at best, and potential repairs.

5. Loads Off!: If your car key shares the chain with several other keys, it can cause ignition switch failure. Nigerians are guilty of this as they can have their shop keys, house key, keys to the house in their villages and office key in the same bunch.
Rather separate the car’s key from the others to lighten the load, and to ensure you drive only with the car key in the ignition. The first sign of ignition switch failure is when your ignition key sticks when you try to turn on the car.

6. Avoid Unnecessary Wear and Tear: Avoid abrupt braking, uneven acceleration, slow down at bumps, too much honking of the horn (a typical Nigerian driver’s driving habit), give considerable distance between cars in front of you, horning before overtaking (always observe the “Look-Signal-Move” routine), avoiding unnecessary mileage can also go a long way to avoid possible accidents and weather damage to the exterior of your car and park your car in shades or use a tarpaulin. Wear and tear reduces the resale value of your car.

What do you think?

Source: https://naijadriva./2019/07/10/6-ways-to-preserve-the-value-of-your-car/

AND DON'T PASTE YOUR VEHICLE NUMBER ALL OVER YOUR CAR INTERIOR OR EXTERIOR LIKE AS THAT IS THE ONLY CAR YOU ARE GOING TO OWN IN YOUR LIFETIME undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by leomarz007: 8:52am On Jul 20, 2019
These na yonder tips...drop naija tips

1 Like

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by ately1(m): 9:11am On Jul 20, 2019
COTONOU CAR AGENT. BUY ANY CAR AT GOOD PRICE. LEGIT 100% 09039130544
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by maxiuc(m): 9:16am On Jul 20, 2019
Wigetsolar:
My neighbor bought Ford Mustang and he revs it too much while idling and this frightens kids in the neighborhood. embarassed

if anyone tells him that it is better to let a car idle and warm up, rather than reving it, he may call the person bad belle.
thats what some people don't it causes quarrel between me and my brother, for me when I want to go out with the car in the morning or any time what do after checking everything I ignite the car on the Ac then I go take my bath dress up and eat then off I go I found out that the car performs more better I don't need to pedal much for the car to hit the disireable speed any sha it is his car ,when I buy mine that's my rules

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by computerglobal(m): 9:36am On Jul 20, 2019
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by gonkin(m): 9:46am On Jul 20, 2019
naijadrivablog:

What do you think?

You forgot to add KAZEEM, OSAS, OSAGIE
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by Mentorme: 9:56am On Jul 20, 2019
OK. We hear. But, to do it... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jul 20, 2019
The best way to preserve a car for resale value is to buy a Toyota. Even if u don't maintain it u still get a better resale value than any other brand that has been carefully maintained. Let me run and leave the thread before they stone me.

2 Likes

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by naphunlimited(m): 1:54pm On Jul 20, 2019
This is not for all cars
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by vikendios(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2019
Switch off your AC when you're driving through a flooded area, especially now that it's rainy season.

You'll be preserving your compressor and your AC's efficiency.

Thank me later.
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by naijajobx: 4:08pm On Jul 20, 2019
Ok
Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by laivwire(m): 4:21pm On Jul 20, 2019
Some tips I may add.

-Fix parts as soon as they break down especially those little accessories on the interior and in the engine. Don’t overlook them.

- Take car cleaning seriously. I clean with water and only occasionally with car wash detergent. I wipe off bug stains asap, try to avoid swirl and water marks, park under shade as much as I can too. I vacuum dirt on the car rug, run interior and engine wipes regularly to give that clean appearance. A good deodorant also works wonders.

- Defensive driving. Key if you don’t want body scratches from our danfo guys. I always dodge or enter potholes slowly as well.

- Oh, and avoid China parts as much as you can. It’s expensive but try OEMs.

1 Like

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by cjscon(m): 8:24pm On Jul 20, 2019
Wigetsolar:
My neighbor bought Ford Mustang and he revs it too much while idling and this frightens kids in the neighborhood. embarassed

if anyone tells him that it is better to let a car idle and warm up, rather than reving it, he may call the person bad belle.
my brother that's a mustang let him revs because he needs to wake up the monster inside the car

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by Wigetsolar: 11:04am On Jul 21, 2019
cjscon:
my brother that's a mustang let him revs because he needs to wake up the monster inside the car

Nigerians and show off mentality sha. undecided

1 Like

Re: Six Ways To Preserve The Resale Value Of Your Car by Alejobs: 4:24pm On Jul 22, 2019
It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

(1) (Reply)

Chevrolet Launches Unlimited Data Plan For 4G LTE Vehicles / 5 Warning Signs That Reveal Your Car Battery Needs Replacement. / DIY: How To Temporarily Fix Transmission Shift Cable Fault In Your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.