Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala (8385 Views)

BUY YOUR LAND//INVEST IN ILORIN, KWARA "STATE" OF HARMONY... / A Chance To Own Or Rent An Apartment In Lagos / BUY YOUR LAND IN ILORIN, KWARA STATE IN A NICE & SUITABLE LOCATION... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Babosa: 9:58pm On Jan 10, 2011
Trying to force landlords to accept one year rent is unworkable. The problem is one of demand outstripping supply. The solution is simply to increase the stock of housing. Govt should encourage genuine estate developers with tax breaks, exemption from exhorbitant land charges, guarantees for commercial loans etc. We always fail to seek and apply creative solutions to problems.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by james1(m): 5:13am On Jan 11, 2011
@afam4eva.I feel you,it is simple, such landlord had been to hell and back in the hand's of some Igbo tenant's in the past hence the question"you be Igbo person"?they allow this to becloud their sense of reasoning and proceed to regard all Igbo people as troublesome,this is not true,for troublesome people abound in all tribe and race.
Same goes for landlord's who don't want to see Indian's near their house,their reason is not far fetched,most Indian's use and leave apartment's like though they have some grievances with the apartment or landlord.if you are unlucky to be the next tenant moving in after an Indian exit such apartment,you will not want them near your property ever again.
Some non yoruba landlord don't want yoruba people near their property,they believe most yoruba tenant's don't maintain apartment's well.
Many lawyer's who are landlord's don't want lawyer's near their house,they believe most lawyer's are trouble some,alway's claim to know too much and will not hesitate to go to court.
They all have their reason's and if you allow them interpret it to you the way it all"went down"you can't help but reason with them or leave them to their set way's.
As my fellow poster noted;if government set out to honestly build certain unit's of apartment in each locality,this issue of not enough house's will be a thing of the past and that singular act will force rent due's to nose dive to the delight of tenant's.the issue of Lagos state government seeing land here as their own oil n gas and therefore creating huge developement levie's is bad,the staff's at land's making everything cumbersome so the prospective developer pay's more is another big issue;all these drive up house rent.
Should you be reading this and a landlord,please understand that issue's of been dirty,troublesome and conny are not tribal but individual,allow all to have an equal go at the property.
To you,yes you;the prospective tenant that think you are smart and want to short change the agent at every turn instead of bringing him or her to your page,stop it as you are only going to fuel their distrust for the next tenant.they make the next tenant pay in most case's.
To fellow realtor's that treat every transaction like it will be the last;please stop acting that way and be considerate to the tenant,most of us are tenant's too.
Cheer's.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Jean2(m): 8:45am On Jan 11, 2011
@ Afrobaby and any other interested. A spacious room and parlour will be open at Yaba soon due to official transfer from Lagos. Intrested person should send me an email.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by kodewrita(m): 9:17am On Jan 11, 2011
the question is: why is it so hard to rent an apartment in Nigeria?
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by afrobaby(f): 10:07am On Jan 11, 2011
fstranger1:

Why are you complaining?

You dont always get what you want.

The problem with Nigeria is that we complain about everything and would rather have everything the easy way. Very unfortunate.

Do u think that is a complaint, u are damn mistaken.
The real problem with Nigerians is that when and if we identify a problem, we don't look for solutions or even profer one, what we do is look for alternatives and forget about the problem, forgetting the fact thateven when u leave the problem, generation after you will still meet itl.

twinskenny:

Bros uve said it all jare. nothing more,

, the best thing is to cut your cloth according to your size, if you cant afford a place look for some where else, thats how to grow

U moved from shomolu to mowe, can u be sincere with urself, is it not stressful? do u not at times wish u stay around shomolu.
I have come to nitice something with us, when someone steals, and people begin to abuse the person that stole, some people will surface and say why did the owner even put it where it can be seen, let's call a spade a spade, this is a discussion, not seeking for an advice.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by rottyjay: 1:15pm On Jan 11, 2011
I got 1-room to share toilet+bathroom+kitchen with another room. Its a sublet from my 4-room penthouse flat at EbuteMetta. Rate? N50k per year. I take 1year rent. Serious pple to email me on ebube_rotimi@hotmail.com or call 08056100038 (no late night calls pls)
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by tolani27(f): 10:28am On Jan 12, 2011
LOL. I wish rent was this cheap in the united kigdom! 400k per annum?! wow that's excellent. The reason why they do not collect rent a year in advance in western countries is because rent is so expensive. rent in Britain can cost up to £10,000 or more which just under 3million naira. I might just relocate to nigeria and live there for 3 years. I would pay everythig in advance. Life would be grand!
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by opabukun(m): 2:12pm On Jan 12, 2011
tolani27:

LOL. I wish rent was this cheap in the united kigdom! 400k per annum?! wow that's excellent. The reason why they do not collect rent a year in advance in western countries is because rent is so expensive. rent in Britain can cost up to £10,000 or more which just under 3million naira. I might just relocate to nigeria and live there for 3 years. I would pay everythig in advance. Life would be grand!

IT A TIN OF GIVE & TAKE IN D WESTERN WORLD. D WAY U RCV IS D WAY U PAY! IF U RELOCATE & GET A WORK (LUCKILY) IN 9JER WIT SAME QUALIFICATION U R RITE NOW WORKING WIT, U WILL BE UNDERPAID COMPARED 2WAT U RCV IN UK NOW. BESIDE U HV ACCESS TO SUM FREE AMENITIES WICH U WILL BE OVERCHARGED FOR IN 9JER e>g PHCN WIL BILL U PER MONTH EVEN IF U DIDNT HV POWER SUPPLY FOR UP TO 10HRS WIITIN DAT MONTH. WORST STILL IF U PAY IN ADVANCE, U R DOOMED! EITHER UR PAY WASNT RECORDED OR "THIS PERSON GET MONEY O,LETS CHARGE HIM/HER 4D WHOLE STREET'' DO U STILL '', MIGHT JUST RELOCATE 2 9JER , & PAY EVERYTIN IN ADVANCE'' ?

1 Like

Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by maclatunji: 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2011
We are currently working on a project that is going to relieve half of the problem listed here. It is related to our website http://www.getnaijaproperties.com, we currently provide services to clients and property agents but we are about to take it to a whole new level just watch-out for it in about a week.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Lanrefemi: 3:36am On Jan 13, 2011
It's a matter of demand and supply, Lagos is a major city, just like london,new york, belin, etc.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by ugwolawo: 7:59am On Jan 13, 2011
ma broda u r d only one in the race,as am talkin now am still patchin wit a friend, and am plannin my wedin soon, they wont want to collect one year.Fashola said they will enect a law to allow them take one year.We av not heared from them, god dey
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by ugwolawo: 8:10am On Jan 13, 2011
ma broda u r  not
d only one in the race,as am talkin now am still patchin wit a friend, and am plannin my wedin soon, they wont want to collect one year.Fashola said they will enect a law to allow them take one year.We av not heared from them, god dey
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by dmy(m): 9:35am On Jan 13, 2011
@jean.please what is your e-mail addy.i'm interested
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by igbapetty: 10:04am On Jan 13, 2011
Pls. Mr. Andyanders is any room vacant, pls i will like to know, pls which part of lagos are u.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by manie(m): 10:15am On Jan 13, 2011
I think it is easier getting a wife in Lagos than getting a house.

1 Like

Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by opabukun(m): 8:40pm On Jan 13, 2011
manie:

I think it is easier getting a wife in Lagos than getting a house.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin SPANISH LAUGH grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by Jean2(m): 11:46am On Jan 14, 2011
@ dmy just check my profile.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by kemori: 12:49pm On Jan 17, 2011
av u even noticed that, some agents, when they accept a year payment, they still base their commission and agreement on two years payment, just like the owner of bestabode.tk does, my friend called him for a particular apartment that will go for #200K per annum, on dia website, it displayed 1 year option, but alas, the guy told my friend, he will pay #110K extra
agency #40K
Agreement #40K
damages charge #30K,
my friend in annoyance just dropped the call on him
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by cube63: 3:05pm On Jan 17, 2011
Idiots! 2 years my a$$!
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by harakiri(m): 4:12pm On Jan 17, 2011
cube63:

Idiots! 2 years my a$$!

I sincerely hope your view remains the same when you build a house and have tenants who paid you 1 years rent, owing you for 3 extra years without paying due to our corrupt court system. If you read my earlier post on this thread, you would have seen where i mentioned a tenant who has lived in a flat in my house since 2007 without paying one naira till date as i'm typing. On top of that, he has incited the other tenants in the house to follow his example and i am dealing with nothing but rebels today. Recently, when i thought of selling the house due to their stress, they got wind of it through the incompetent estate agent who couldn't keep his mouth shut and now, they have brought one senseless court paper inviting me to meet them in court for "mediation". All this for my property that they have no idea of how it came about neither did they buy one iron rod or bag of cement.

I am opening up and saying all this so that you have an idea of what the so called "wicked" landlords go through on a daily basis. He who wears the shoe knows where it hurts.

@Other posters

If the judicial system in Nigeria was as efficient as the western countries whereby tenants who default with payment can be ejected within a week, landlords in 9ja would be happy to embrace one year rent (even one month sef) coz it would favor them. They could increase rent twice a year (YES!) without prejudice. If you don't like it, you leave. Buying land is not the big problem. When you have fought and paid omo onile every time you want to put a block in the ground, or erect pillars or construct decking or roofing, you will have more respect for house owners. If you have fought other people who have the same land documents as you do in court, borrowed loans at shy-lock interest all because you want to complete the house before it turns into a monument, you will understand better.

People clamoring for one year rent should also ask for :

(1)Payment of salaries on time
(2)Ejection of erring tenants under one week.

What is good for the goose, is also good for the gander. Try and see things from both sides of the coin. Think outside the box.

Nuff said! ! !

1 Like

Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by kemori: 5:14pm On Jan 17, 2011
@harakiri, I believe u are one of the people supporting 4 years payment of rent as if tenants can never become lanlord
Salaries are not paid in advance, u are paid after the month, but house rent is paid even before u start using it, or some, u may not even end up using the total number of years u actually paid for, let's call a spade a spade, what is not good is never good
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by cube63: 5:49pm On Jan 17, 2011
Well, i'm happy that some landlords are out there ready to accept 1 Year and i'm moving from Ikorodu to Ajah. I'm a landlord too by the way, i rent out too, i don't put all my life budget on the rents i get from my tenants.

I have never owed any rent before, instead they owe me! When i'm done with my building project i will finally have a place to call home.
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by harakiri(m): 5:59pm On Jan 17, 2011
kemori:

@harakiri, I believe u are one of the people supporting 4 years payment of rent as if tenants can never become lanlord
Salaries are not paid in advance, u are paid after the month, but house rent is paid even before u start using it, or some, u may not even end up using the total number of years u actually paid for, let's call a spade a spade, what is not good is never good

When i read comments like this, it reaffirms my suggestions that IQ tests should be performed on intending members of this forum before completion of registration to weed out the trolls (i didn't mean to sound rude but posts like this make me irritatingly sick). Did you even read/understand/assimilate ANYTHING from my earlier postings on this thread before posting? Leave me give you a refresher summary :

2-3 years rent payment favors the tenants MORE than the landlord coz the landlord will have to be patient for the years to run by before deciding whether or not to increase rent. For instance, if you reside in the highbrow areas of Lagos, you'll notice that a 3-bedroom apartment that was rented in 2008 for N400,000 per annum is now going for at least N650,000 per annum. A yearly landlord can easily make increases with each passing year unlike the landlord who has collected 2-5 years rent in advance and has to wait until the expiration of the rent, another 1- Bleep years to quit the tenant from the house minus lawyer feeds from his own pocket (if it's a stubborn tenant) before he/she can change the rent at which time, the current value has doubled or tripled in value. Before you get it all twisted (since i can clearly see you're reading the posts with a vindictive biased mind towards landlords), i understand how hard it is to meet up with 2 years rent in this harsh economy. If you have an open matured mind to see beyond your nose, you would have understood the reasons why landlords prefer to avoid the unavoidable problems by postponing the dooms day till 2 years time. Once again, i hope you become a landlord some day and i would really love to see if your biased attitude towards landlords remain the same. Let it be know that i also rent away from the property i rented to tenants so i know how it is. Get your mind right bruv! ! !
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by mummy3(f): 3:04pm On Jan 18, 2011
seedord247:

You don find house reach places like, Ikotun, Ejigbo, Ajegunle,  Ijora Badia, Orile, Oshodi house plenty for this area wey i mention and dem dey very cheap especially ajegunle.

Who told u dat house is very cheap in AJegunle?
a 3 bedrom flat in ajegunle is N400 & N600k per annum x 2years, Ajency,Agreement & caution fee -N150,000
Ikotun a 3 bedroom is between N250 & N350 now per annuam x 2years but traffic Ajency,Agreement & caution fee -N120,000
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by bigfatng01: 8:13pm On Apr 15, 2011
miniflat to rent ebute metta 150k x 3 yrs call 080-2368- 2532
Re: To Rent An Apartment In Lagos, Why The Wahala by EddyJu(m): 10:59am On May 17, 2019
Whether or not you meet the house owner, trust me, Lagos can be a mess sometimes.

This platform roomiesconnect.com help lessen your burden. You can find a roommate or flatmate and also no landlord wahala. Just move in and live in peace.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Execuitive Flat To Let @ Yaba / How To Obtain Governors Consent To Land Transaction In Lagos State / Abuja Properties Whatsapp Group Dropp Your Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.