Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,452 members, 7,823,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG (42217 Views)

Kwara CAN: Hijab Use Will Expose Christian Pupils To Terrorist Attacks / ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs– FG / Lauretta Onochie: IPPIS Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Full Time Jobs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 24, 2020
Nwodosis:
They should look at the Medical Consultants having private hospitals and also working in government hospitals!

Exactly
Some doctors will even direct you from the government hospitals to their private own
It has happened in Enugu state, I witnessed this
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by leosahm(m): 5:34pm On Apr 24, 2020
jolyment:

Which school?

i'm in unical.....and why are u asking
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by otokx(m): 5:35pm On Apr 24, 2020
stevmatt15:

Exactly
Some doctors will even direct you from the government hospitals to their private own

Unfortunately this happens all over Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by leosahm(m): 5:35pm On Apr 24, 2020
stevmatt15:

Exactly

blood of zechariah

1 Like

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by 9jatriot(m): 5:37pm On Apr 24, 2020
That argument amazes me, how does paying one person to do two jobs in different location be a solution to understaffing, not like they have one special qualification that many other people roaming the streets don't have. Please once they are able to convince you how one lecturer having more than one job is the solution, also try and break it down for me later.

For what I know, if you are on sabbatical leave, your parent school will no longer allocate any students to you so that you can focus on where they are but when they are on active service in one school there is no excuse why you should also have a full time job in another similar school.
Bigval5:

Trash.. so what happened to millions of graduates on the streets looking out for lecturer Jobs?? Why would you take two jobs ? You're one of the problems of this country

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Lexolhis20(m): 5:41pm On Apr 24, 2020
ERockson:
University lecturers are not sincere anyway. What's so difficult in releasing their BVN if they are not as corrupt as our politicians
FG can actually achieve this without public notice. Are they trying to portray themselves as saints? Don't tell me they do not know the number of lecturers they are paying for and their detail.. All this looks like a STAGED PLAY and we are the SPECTATORS
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by emmasege: 5:42pm On Apr 24, 2020
GreenKalada:

It's very wrong because we have graduates who could have occupied those jobs
I'm amazed at the level of reasoning of some people who claim to be educated but yet not informed.

If you see any lecturer collecting more than one salary, s/he does so for two reasons which are obtainable anywhere in the world.

1. He's on sabbatical leave (a leave meant to be enjoyed once in 7 years)
2. He's utilising his accumulated leave (which means that he uses his annual leave which was due him over the years elsewhere)

Aside from these two reasons, no lecturer earns double salary anywhere. The only one that's close to it and which many people mistake for full-time appointment is what is called ADJUNCT LECTURING. This is a situation whereby another university hires a lecturer from another university to teach one or two courses in a semseter because there's no expert to teach that course or because the university can't afford to employ someone on full-time basis to teach the course (which is the case in many private universities). Adjunct lecturers are not usually paid until the end of the semester and their pay for the period (3 or 4 months) in such instance may not even be up to one month full salary.

NOTE: In most cases, no junior lecturer enjoys either of the two leave stated above and neither are they usually considered for adjunct lectureship.

Let me also seize this opportunity to mention that a university professor earns just about #400k+ in Nigeria while a fresh PhD holder earns less than (#150k). I put this question to reasonable Nigerians: How do you expect Nigerian university lecturers to live a decent life that's commensurate with their status and give their best in the discharge of their duties?

I understand that a fresh graduate in the Nigerian Communication Commission earns more than 400k (what a university professor earns). Ditto for many other MDAs, e.g. Nigerian Customs, CBN, NNPC.

I think ASUU on the other hand needs to get professional journalists who can put all these facts in the public domain, because government has used propaganda to badly damage the image of ASUU such that educated Nigerians think the same way as uneducated ones, anytime ASUU is in the news.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by chukel(m): 5:42pm On Apr 24, 2020
rexlims:
very lame excuse from FG.
my reasons are;
1. is it that before now these lecturers receive their stipends by hand?
2. is FG saying that these lectures teaching in other schools use different names and Ids?
there is something they call gifmiss account. This account is held by universities. The process in paying lecturers salary is this. The university compiles salary of the lecturers in the institution. Sends the total sum to FG. FG pays the amount into the gifmiss account. The vice chancellor and bursar will now draw money there by themselves to pay lecturers. That way a lecturer can earn salary from more than 1 university without FG's knowledge at the detriment of the economy. Now FG wants to pay direct. No more dumping money into gifmiss. Direct payment requires BVN.
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by omonnakoda: 5:46pm On Apr 24, 2020
9jatriot:
Thank you for this. If Julius Berger Engineers want a salary increase they do not hold meetings with FG, they talk to their employer which is the management of JB.
NNPC, CBN and all government agencies are all FG employees because FG pays them, so I really want to understand how FG happens to pay academic staffs, fund the schools but somehow are still not their employer.

How much schooling do you have?

I have already addressed those questions and I refer you to my earlier statements about legal persons
If you cannot comprehend them I am sorry I cannot help you further
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Galactico4ever(m): 5:47pm On Apr 24, 2020
Some lecturers are just insatiable when it comes to money. our faculty dean was supposed to supervise my final yr project but i also saw the man twice all session. I later heard he was also teaching in uniport,babcock and our other Uni in canada.
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by 9jatriot(m): 5:51pm On Apr 24, 2020
Okay, bottomline you have not been able to explain to me how FG is not the employer of the lecturers because it is clear even to the blind that FG is their employer.
Even ASUU chairman cannot even say FG is not their employer, the best argument they can give is that they have some level of autonomy.
Even CBN is autonomous, yet they cannot come out and say FG is not their employer talk less of lecturers or ASUU.

Thanks for the effort anyway.
omonnakoda:

How much schooling do you have?

I have already addressed those questions and I refer you to my earlier statements about legal persons
If you cannot comprehend them I am sorry I cannot help you further

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 24, 2020
Bigval5:

Trash.. so what happened to millions of graduates on the streets looking out for lecturer Jobs?? Why would you take two jobs ? You're one of the problems of this country

Who told you millions of graduates were looking for lecturer's jobs

Also, read the link below

We need 100000 new lecturers for Nigerian universites
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by BlackSpanner: 5:54pm On Apr 24, 2020
leosahm:

i'm in unical.....and why are u asking

You mean UNICASH grin grin cheesy
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by nuelyoyo(m): 5:56pm On Apr 24, 2020
ejibaba:

Well, I will not want to doubt you since I'm not the said environment. However, do note that a lecturer on sabbatical or adjunct can also be HOD, Dean and whatever position in an alternate University. Also, you may shock to know that having a PhD gets you Lecturer II and that level is not allowed to teach postgraduate programme. Also, people in that category accounts for less than 5% of workforce so it doesn't make sense.

Also, not that another reason is for this is expertise and experience, how many PhD has that? Bros, baba is not ready to pay simple.
The lecturers should proof the govt wrong by providing thier BVN. If they are on adjunct and sabbatical position as u said, and since it's permissible, they should provide thier BVN. The lecturers know they have skeletons in thier cupboard.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Nwodosis(m): 6:01pm On Apr 24, 2020
stevmatt15:

Exactly
Gbam!

1 Like

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Princewell2012(m): 6:02pm On Apr 24, 2020
GamalNasser:
Is There is something sinister those lecturers are hiding because i don't see the big deal in submitting BVN for payroll purposes..Well what's even stopping the govt from getting their BVN through bank account , they don't even need to have asked the lecturers for it

This very govement always magnify every litle thing. Even ordinary palliative it take them a whole 2 month before they could know that bvn is the best approach.

Confuse set of people.
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by BEEFIE: 6:03pm On Apr 24, 2020
omonnakoda:
We make one mistake in Nigeria .
We assume government is not subject to law or if government does or says something it has become law.

The issue here is between employer and employee. It makes no difference that the employer is goverment.
The relationship is governed by THE SAME LAWS that govern all such relationships whether the employer is goverment or MTN unless specific legislation exists to state otherwise

are you saying your employer can't do a background check on you or require a KYC on you
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by guy222: 6:04pm On Apr 24, 2020
erad:

There is a flaw in this argument.

A government that has refused to illegally access your BVN without your permission, is it the same government that will illegally deceive you to join a plan you are clearly against?

If the government wanted to do that, why not just go all the way and dig out their BVNs without their permission as well.

That's what propaganda looks like, it's never rational.
your point is so on point. You are intelligent bro
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by nuelyoyo(m): 6:08pm On Apr 24, 2020
emmasege:

I'm amazed at the level of reasoning of some people who claim to be educated but yet not informed.

If you see any lecturer collecting more than one salary, s/he does so for two reasons which are obtainable anywhere in the world.

1. He's on sabbatical leave (a leave meant to be enjoyed once in 7 years)
2. He's utilising his accumulated leave (which means that he uses his annual leave which was due him over the years elsewhere)

Aside from these two reasons, no lecturer earns double salary anywhere. The only one that's close to it and which many people mistake for full-time appointment is what is called ADJUNCT LECTURING. This is a situation whereby another university hires a lecturer from another university to teach one or two courses in a semseter because there's no expert to teach that course or because the university can't afford to employ someone on full-time basis to teach the course (which is the case in many private universities). Adjunct lecturers are not usually paid until the end of the semester and their pay for the period (3 or 4 months) in such instance may not even be up to one month full salary.

NOTE: In most cases, no junior lecturer enjoys either of the two leave stated above and neither are they usually considered for adjunct lectureship.

Let me also seize this opportunity to mention that a university professor earns just about #400k+ in Nigeria while a fresh PhD holder earns less than (#150k). I put this question to reasonable Nigerians: How do you expect Nigerian university lecturers to live a decent life that's commensurate with their status and give their best in the discharge of their duties?

I understand that a fresh graduate in the Nigerian Communication Commission earns more than 400k (what a university professor earns). Ditto for many other MDAs, e.g. Nigerian Customs, CBN, NNPC.

I think ASUU on the other hand needs to get professional journalists who can put all these facts in the public domain, because government has used propaganda to badly damage the image of ASUU such that educated Nigerians think the same way as uneducated ones, anytime ASUU is in the news.

since everything you said here is legitimate and is within the laws that set up the universities, why can't the lecturers cite them to defend themselves. Since it's their official leave they used, why can't they provide thier BVN and earn thier 'legitimate' salaries. The lecturers never talk wetin dey hungry dem.
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by okpalaAnambra: 6:11pm On Apr 24, 2020
Lastanza:

There is nothing wrong in having multiple jobs but in their case, their is something wrong. It's same as doctors in government hospitals operating their own private hospitals. They rarely care much about their government job because it's government job, and many a times normally diverts patients to their private hospitals for property attention and care.
Same applies to these lecturers. They have one or two private universities where they work with utmost seriousness and usually care less about their primary employment. They are always not around in their offices or at lectures because they are out there hustling.
I get u...is a moral thing and not unlawful...in the medical ethics a Dr can have his private hospital which he only attends to at the end of government job, so is not illegal
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by guy222: 6:12pm On Apr 24, 2020
9jatriot:
Okay, bottomline you have not been able to explain to me how FG is not the employer of the lecturers because it is clear even to the blind that FG is their employer.
Even ASUU chairman cannot even say FG is not their employer, the best argument they can give is that they have some level of autonomy.
Even CBN is autonomous, yet they cannot come out and say FG is not their employer talk less of lecturers or ASUU.

Thanks for the effort anyway.
Its best you dont argue with some people, imagine someone saying the government is not the employer of ASUU. Is ASUU not under a ministry.
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by omonnakoda: 6:13pm On Apr 24, 2020
BEEFIE:

are you saying your employer can't do a background check on you or require a KYC on you
Read what I wrote again ,if you cannot understand ask someone to explain
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by leosahm(m): 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2020
BlackSpanner:

You mean UNICASH grin grin cheesy

local man is speechless.... I'm in 300L edu chem, how abt u??
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by wolfenstein(m): 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2020
Ademoore07:
God bless u. In this your quoted comment, it is acceptable. That is the receives salary from the state govt (AAU) and FG (UNIBEN). What FG is trying to avoid is to get the lecturer paid in both federal institution (say uniben and futa). No sensible lecturer will work that way. So, let them drop their bvn.
Exactly
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by mechanics(m): 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2020
They should submit their BVN to be paid their salaries.
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Mistermamus(m): 6:19pm On Apr 24, 2020
pls haven't done this before lockdown has done a huge damage on me I can't fend for myself again pls any assistance will be helpful to me pls my friends 6323208731 fidelity thanks
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Peppermintflav: 6:26pm On Apr 24, 2020
Person employ you, give you work... the person say make you bring BVN... you say no.
Anyway i undesrstand both sides of the argument, but what i want to ask ASUU is how do they think this multiple drawing of salary by some lecturers can be stopped? Or is it right?
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 24, 2020
nuelyoyo:
The lecturers should proof the govt wrong by providing thier BVN. If they are on adjunct and sabbatical position as u said, and since it's permissible, they should provide thier BVN. The lecturers know they have skeletons in thier cupboard.

They have collected the account details from bursar's of every University and there is no law that stops the government from linking a persons account to their BVN. Call up the BVN and pay na....Is that a problem again??

I said I wouldn't fill any form to get paid and you are insisting I must and you claim you want to pay. For investigation purposes there's no law against government checking up the BVN and when confirmed the person is clean you pay the person through whatever means if the whole idea for BVN was to check for skeletons.

Does EFCC tell you to send your BVN to check if you have a skeleton?? All they can do again is approach a magistrate court to obtain an court order that permits them to use the BVN without academics consent relying on the FOI bill.

Bros, we are not that stupid in this country....The government are trying to force IPPIS on academics and it won't work.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Nobody: 6:31pm On Apr 24, 2020
Peppermintflav:
Person employ you, give you work... the person say make you bring BVN... you say no.
Anyway i undesrstand both sides of the argument, but what i want to ask ASUU is how do they think this multiple drawing of salary by some lecturers can be stopped? Or is it right?

It is actually a standard globally sir!

How about Doctors? IPPIS designed a suitable template for them but refuse to do same for academics cos they feel they are of no value in a country where knowledge is not valued.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by Revere27: 6:34pm On Apr 24, 2020
And naa these our so called lecturers go they teach us about corruption in :- government administration and they are the grand master undecided undecided
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by emmasege: 6:37pm On Apr 24, 2020
nuelyoyo:
since everything you said here is legitimate and is within the laws that set up the universities, why can't the lecturers cite them to defend themselves. Since it's their official leave they used, why can't they provide thier BVN and earn thier 'legitimate' salaries. The lecturers never talk wetin dey hungry dem.
ASUU talks but who cares to listen? Some of their chairmen have been on radio and TVs to clarify these issues.

On the issue of BVN: it's a ploy by the government to register ASUU in IPPIS without their consent.. That's one of the requirements for IPPIS registration.

If FG was being sincere, they could just verify (through CBN) if any Federal University lecturer earns double salary illegitimately without asking everyone to submit BVN. Erring lecturers can thus be disciplined..
Re: ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG by jmaine: 6:39pm On Apr 24, 2020
frankmoney:
there are rules of the civil service which states you can't work multiple jobs if you are employee in the civil service

The Universities don't belong to the civil service... Isn't that what the union has been screaming about? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Nigeria Universities With The Most Employable Graduates- STUTERN 2018 Edition / Pictures Of Nice Structures In Nigerian Universities / "Will You Go Back To Primary 6 For 50billion Naira?": See Funny Comments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.