Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,427 members, 7,836,715 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:51 AM

Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching (58194 Views)

Coronavirus: Kwara Govt To Shut Down Schools From March 23 / JSS 3 Exam Fees: Private Schools Parents Besiege Lagos Exam Board For Refund / Nigeria Reintroduces History In Schools From 2018/2019 Academic Session (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by ChoCho54(f): 1:54pm On Apr 27, 2020
DropsMic:
Naija Online Teaching end for Whatsapp

Not entirely. They are on ClassDojo too.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by teepayne007(m): 1:59pm On Apr 27, 2020
Please come to our rescue. Even it's only Garri we can have to survive this period, God will richly replenish your sources. Two siblings under me and we have nothing to survive on anymore. God bless you.

Access bank
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Beedude(m): 2:05pm On Apr 27, 2020
back2sender:

My child fees after the discount(25%) is 295,000 for a child in JSS1, this is too much.

I am in support of what lagos state government has issued out, there is no way you can get a full 3rd term, Infact we should forget about 3rd term in schools calendar this year.

If private school must operate it should not be a capitalist approach, everyone is affected by Coronavirus issues.
I'm a school owner and really support the govt. At the moment education isnt a priority.Food and Survival of this lockdown is.What i simply do since March is send work of all the classes to the school whatsapp forum and parents guide their children. Such work will be done and sent back to me. It is actually FREE but some parents compensate .Starting 3rd term online is wrong. So many factor won't make it work in Nigeria at the moment. Electricity, cost of data and access to an internet enabled phone. Only 40% of parents are even available on whatsapp. We shouldnt be greedy

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Bluntemperor: 2:08pm On Apr 27, 2020
Sterope:
She hasn't said anything

God bless you Sis.What a robust reply.
Was she not supposed to be in forefront of technologically driven education?
Mumu up was saying 'shylock private school owners' where is your sense' biko.
Lagos State has always been the Centre of Excellence and for these Schools to venture outside of their stereotype ways of passing and impacting knowledge,its a thumb up for the innovation!. The fact that some schools are doing it should be a source of encouragement to Lagos State Govt and not that they should be rebuking them.They are impacting knowledge and this style is common now in USA,Europe and China, especially on lockdown in Covid19.it does not mean 3rd-Term encroachments to their Supervisory Role but versatility.
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Mizwisdom(f): 2:13pm On Apr 27, 2020
back2sender:

This favors the rich ONLY so what happens to the other children whose parents cannot afford this? Do you know the kind of society you are brewing with this kind of approach?

So should they be pulled down because others can't meet up?
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by OdefaGirl(f): 2:13pm On Apr 27, 2020
If they are offering such lessons for a little token, then they should be allowed, some schools' curricula are far beyond that of the government...... but if not.....let everyone manage that of the government......
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by andriods: 2:14pm On Apr 27, 2020
Yeecar:
Very selfish of the schools.

Na your school?
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Reference(m): 2:37pm On Apr 27, 2020
wonder233:
I support the government on this. These Shylock Lagos private school owners will stop at nothing to exploit.
Let parents at least use this lockdown period to bond with their kids. Let the kids learn other things like crafts, domestic chores, etc. Let them be revising what they've been taught before, or let them just play.
We run a unified academic calendar at primary and secondary level. So, if they conclude their term online, so what happens to their counterparts in government schools?

What happens to their counterparts overseas, the children of your feudal leaders you worship, fight, abuse and kill for who will soon resume their schools in Europe and America and be spirited out of the country using tax payers funds, your money. Will you be able to stop them resuming and gaining a career advantage over your kids....

Life is not fair we all agree but you can level the playing field by demanding good governance and not buying into the sentiment the leaders so desire to hold the nation captive. I hope the resumption of schools whenever that happens will not be centralised so that states that have worked hard to keep safe are not undermined and held back by poorly governed ones.

The best way to conquer this pandemic is to decentralise the fight in Nigeria. No one should hold the other back. Let the private schools be abeg. If parents want their kids educated better why should you stop them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Yodexy: 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2020
LandMann:
Very good... They are rushing online as if all students and pupils have constant light and access to free internet... Is it someone whose parents source of income may have potentially dried up due to covid 19 that will bear the cost of internet and fueling of generator?

This epidemic should open the eyes of government on what the priority should be in terms of development for the next five-ten years...

1. Accurate and up-to-date population data for social and economic planning.
2. 18-24 hours uninterrupted electricity daily
3. Functional health system
4. Cheap access to internet.
5. Slash salaries and allowances of political office holders to 30% or less of their current value. Buhari should do it via Executive fiat and order RMAFC to immediately implement within 2 months... If NASS attempt to prevent him, I'm sure 5 million Nigerians will occupy nass in Support of the president, unless he too is not serious and honest about repositioning this country.

Provide these things first and Nigerians will start hustling their way before you start thinking of constructing roads and bridges which are avenues to loot funds...

Did Government tell you that they don't know what their priorities should be?

They prefer to have access to all the best things of life, if it means the country keeps languishing in mediocrity.
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by ozy4christ(f): 2:45pm On Apr 27, 2020
wonder233:
I support the government on this. These Shylock Lagos private school owners will stop at nothing to exploit.
Let parents at least use this lockdown period to bond with their kids. Let the kids learn other things like crafts, domestic chores, etc. Let them be revising what they've been taught before, or let them just play.
We run a unified academic calendar at primary and secondary level. So, if they conclude their term online, so what happens to their counterparts in government schools?
am sure you are not a teacher because if you are,you will know the positive effects of online teaching..
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Reference(m): 2:52pm On Apr 27, 2020
Mizwisdom:

So should they be pulled down because others can't meet up?

When I said months ago that this pandemic will be a game changer at many levels and that we should do everything to avoid it because of a lack of capacity this was it. The things ordinary people like me saw is what a supposed government with all its resouces could not anticipate. That society will be shorn by the effects of the pandemic. It will no doubt widen the gap between the rich and poor. That you cannot avoid. While others are struggling to eat, others are attending extramural classes at great expense.

And because we are late to the pandemic the competition between us and other nations will widen that much further at all levels from basic school to grad school. Our leaders don't think far and donot anticipate consequences early. Just elected and appointed to react to things. No visionaries.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Reference(m): 2:58pm On Apr 27, 2020
Beedude:

I'm a school owner and really support the govt. At the moment education isnt a priority.Food and Survival of this lockdown is.What i simply do since March is send work of all the classes to the school whatsapp forum and parents guide their children. Such work will be done and sent back to me. It is actually FREE but some parents compensate .Starting 3rd term online is wrong. So many factor won't make it work in Nigeria at the moment. Electricity, cost of data and access to an internet enabled phone. Only 40% of parents are even available on whatsapp. We shouldnt be greedy

You are a businessman not a school owner. EDUCATION IS ALWAYS A PRIORITY, EVEN IN WARTIME. What the heck are you saying. Education should never, ever, ever stop. Education is life. Education is a competitive resource. The moment I know more, faster, earlier than you, you will remain at a competitive disadvantage almost forever. Just don't say that. Ever.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by sweetjohn(m): 3:16pm On Apr 27, 2020
ishowdotgmail:
Selfish school owners
How do you want the teachers to cope? It has nothing to do with the school owners as they have enough to survive but what about the teachers?
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Mrblaq1990: 3:18pm On Apr 27, 2020
I think it's a good move from the schools one if it doesn't come with extra fees and they should be the one to provide the Internet services for the student. If they don't do that then it's wrong
wonuks:
Abeg allow them to teach online. That's the advantage technology offers. We're on lockdown not on shut down. Biko don't dull the children's brain

*Modified* Online teaching should only be temporal and shouldn't cost any additional fees. Once the covid 19 period is over there should be a catch up or crash course for students that couldn't connect.
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by lekzzyteebee(m): 3:19pm On Apr 27, 2020
Am in support of this, its oppressing government schools
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Beedude(m): 3:19pm On Apr 27, 2020
Reference:

You are a businessman not a school owner. EDUCATION IS ALWAYS A PRIORITY, EVEN IN WARTIME. What the heck are you saying. Education should never, ever, ever stop. Education is life. Education is a competitive resource. The moment I know more, faster, earlier than you, you will remain at a competitive disadvantage almost forever. Just don't say that. Ever.
It isnt a priority at the moment. Whatever u like u can call me. I have been teaching since 2006 before owning a school. I wrote how i was able to assist the students and parents from home. Starting a new term wont work my friend cos most parent can not afford to pay the fees or bear the cost of running school online. Morever, student below age 4 wont really key into it. Feeding and survival are priorities of the parents before education of their wards. Lets just do the little we can as school owners and not add burden to their finances. Times are hard. Even when lockdown is over debtors will increase.
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Funpeter: 3:22pm On Apr 27, 2020
iswallker:

Durexg your venom and negative energy at Bulgari.. I am sure you voted for him..

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do - schools that choose to dis gard thus directive will run the term all over again when schools are directed to resume.. undecided

Ministry of education is to schools what central bank is to banks.. The regulator.. grin
laugh in swalli.... Even the so call policy makers children are attending online school.... When the term starts so many activities will be done.........

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Funpeter: 3:24pm On Apr 27, 2020
Beedude:

It isnt a priority at the moment. Whatever u like u can call me. I have been teaching since 2006 before owning a school. I wrote how i was able to assist the students and parents from home. Starting a new term wont work my friend cos most parent can not afford to pay the fees or bear the cost of running school online. Morever, student below age 4 wont really key into it. Feeding and survival are priorities of the parents before education of their wards. Lets just do the little we can as school owners and not add burden to their finances. Times are hard. Even when lockdown is over debtors will increase.
agree some parent can't cope..... But some can also cope I think it boils down the scho ol and the kind of parent in the school.
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Olawaleisrael: 3:27pm On Apr 27, 2020
Nam dem sabi
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 27, 2020
Futuragetty:
They will ban virtual classes run by school who has the facilities but will open the National Assembly Plenary session soon so law makers can get paid for sitting allowance.
we joke too much in this country. So if Lagos state does not contain Covid-19 by December, all school cannot reopen.
The schools affected should fight this executive action as they are private school not a public or state school. so long as they are not endangering the health of lagosians. they are carrying out their lawful business.

There is a huge difference between online learning and video-conferencing (which is what most of these schools are doing). The government is only moving to stop the exploitation of parents by schools. The parents for my Kid's class held a zoom meeting with the Proprietor after much pressure, and you could tell she couldn't articulate the so-called online learning she is demanding full fees for. Online learning with no quizzes, no flash-cards, no games - is that online learning?
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Beedude(m): 3:30pm On Apr 27, 2020
Reference:

I am a realist. I never said EDUCATION should stop. It is only someone that has EATEN that can think of EDUCATION. 3rd term is pending. Assist and engage ur students on social platforms in whatever way u can. We all need help. Money isnt everything. I have parents who dont owe school fees but needed support to feed during this lockdown which i assisted with the little foodstuffs i could spare. Times are had. After survival comes education. A living dog is better than a dead lion
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Ganosdi1: 3:42pm On Apr 27, 2020
ishowdotgmail:
Selfish school owners
How do you expect the teachers to get paid?
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Babaibejii: 3:58pm On Apr 27, 2020
[quote author=ikorodureporta post=88897954]

Source: https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/lagos-bars-private-schools-from-online-teaching.html[/quot

See o! Na to turn everybody to Almajiri be the scope?
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Josephamstrong1(m): 3:59pm On Apr 27, 2020
Eulalia:
What kind of stupid online learning for kids is that? Which parents to guide them? Is it the same parents that didn't have the time to guide them one on one in their homework and lessons when school was in session that will guide them in online learning? Or is it the type of chere-were kind of parents everywhere that IG, nairaland, Facebook and twitter has eaten deep into their brain that will calm down and guide their wards in online learning. You guys are the biggest joker of the year.
Thank God, I'm an educationist. So that one no affect me.

Lol! Funny, but true.
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by boom99(m): 4:00pm On Apr 27, 2020
So we wey be teachers wetin una want make we do? Make gov remember say we teachers get family so when d lockdown is over we teachers go continue d lockdown. Make una also remember say we teacher start this lockdown before any other profession cry
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by wonder233: 4:05pm On Apr 27, 2020
You speak from both sides of the mouth: on one hand,
you're trying to sound like you're on the side of the masses with the "feudal leaders you worship" line. On the other hand, you're twisting yourself with the "life is not fair...if the parents bla bla bla". It's double-speak people like you who stand for nothing that are the problem of this country.
I have taken a stand to stand with the parents who are being exploited and with the hapless kids of the poor who shouldn't be left behind....What do you stand for?
Reference:

What happens to their counterparts overseas, the children of your feudal leaders you worship, fight, abuse and kill for who will soon resume their schools in Europe and America and be spirited out of the country using tax payers funds, your money. Will you be able to stop them resuming and gaining a career advantage over your kids....

Life is not fair we all agree but you can level the playing field by demanding good governance and not buying into the sentiment the leaders so desire to hold the nation captive. I hope the resumption of schools whenever that happens will not be centralised so that states that have worked hard to keep safe are not undermined and held back by poorly governed ones.

The best way to conquer this pandemic is to decentralise the fight in Nigeria. No one should hold the other back. Let the private schools be abeg. If parents want their kids educated better why should you stop them.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Mancala: 4:10pm On Apr 27, 2020
I can almost guarantee that the state government does not have legal authority to stop private schools from conducting online classes and or moving ahead with the third term. Lots of sentimental opinions here, but we should stick to facts. I understand why the government is trying to do this. They are afraid that if some schools are allowed to continue educating the rich/elite/those who can afford it, it could lead to revolt from the masses who are left behind. It will expose how ill prepared and inefficient our state education system is. But then, this revolt is exactly what we need to fix the system.
When state and federal schools are on strike, do private schools stop teaching? Do they wait for govt universities to resume?
In addition, lots of private schools are not teaching towards WAEC and JAMB only. There are many international exams that these schools take that they need to follow their curriculum and not wait for one useless govt. This is a capitalist system. We need to sit up and force our govt to work for us and stop making excuses!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by frog12: 4:17pm On Apr 27, 2020
confusing
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Mhizhelen001(f): 4:51pm On Apr 27, 2020
Online teaching indeed. Does Nigeria have the capacity for online teaching, don't copy what u don't know anything about, to start with sef NO LIGHT, so how on earth will d students learn, do u think its every home that has a radio and do u think students will understand through radio teaching. I was listening to wazobia FM today when mathematics was being taught and its was just as if they were speaking jargons . Not every child has the same level of intelligence. It would have even been better if it was taught on TV where they can easily see what they are being taught but where is the light? Ministry of education please stop deceiving yourselves, online teaching can't work in Nigeria. We do not have the facilities. Other countries can decide to stay at home throughout d remaining months of d year and there will be no problem because most of them work from home, they have steady electricity, they can shop online, work online and get paid online. SUCH CANNOT HAPPEN IN NIGERIA. MR PRESIDENT U JUST HAVE TO LIFT THIS LOCKDOWN, NIGERIANS ARE SUFFERING. DESPITE THE LOCKDOWN, THERE IS NO IMPROVEMENT. WHAT IS THE ESSENCE OF APL THIS. THE CASES HAVE GROWN WORSE INSTEAD OF GETTING BETTER. WE ARE TIRED!!!!!! I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF NCDC ARE GIVING THE ACCURATE FIGURES OR IF SOME IDIOTS ARE JUAT MANIPULATING THE RESULTS FIR THEIR OWN SELFISH REASONS. WELL, GOD IS WATCHING EVERYONE.
Re: Lagos Bars Private Schools From Online Teaching by Mancala: 5:04pm On Apr 27, 2020
Bitter truth is that online schooling cannot work for the general masses with the lack of basic infrastructure like electricity and wifi affordability, but we cannot take away that option for those that can afford to facilitate it for their kids through private schools. It's not fair to the masses but its legal. Instead of trying to shut it down for those who can access it, we should focus on trying to open up the opportunity for those who can't.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

New Dress Code For Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) Zaria / Mirabel Obi: Gustavo Cubana To Send Money To UNN Student Twerker For Expulsion / Unimaid First Batch Admission List Is Out And Online

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.