Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

The Biggest Derbies? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / The Biggest Derbies? (1014 Views)

The Top 10 World's Biggest Derbies! (Photos) / Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool Job Is The Biggest Challenge In Football / Who Is The Biggest Waste Of Money At Chelsea? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Biggest Derbies? by doyin13(m): 8:23pm On Jun 07, 2007
Which do you consider the biggest football derbies in the world?

I think el grand classico is no.1

2) the milan derby

3) Man U - Arsenal
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by Akolawole(m): 9:12pm On Jun 07, 2007
doyin13:

Manchester United - Arsenal

Is this a derby?
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by Imani(f): 9:28pm On Jun 07, 2007
Arsenal - Chelsea (Used to be a non-contest until the Abramovich era, the good old days when playing Chelsea was a 3 points banker are long gone)

Man Utd - Liverpool

Celtic - Rangers

Real Madrid - Barcelona

AC Milan - Inter Milan

Inter Milan - Juventus

Ajax - Feyenoord

Boca Juniors - River Plate

Olympiacos - Panathinaikos

Galatasaray - Fenerbarche
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by Akolawole(m): 10:00pm On Jun 07, 2007
@Imani

You better dont let them see your enclose comments.

I warned you o. grin
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by doyin13(m): 11:41pm On Jun 08, 2007
I guess we are all so eurocentric.

NO one has mentioned the likes of the Buenos Aires derby btw River and Boca or the Cairo derby between

Al Ahly and Zamalek.

Even in Europe, the likes of Ajax-Psv/Feyenoord, or the Ruhr valley derby btw Schalke and Dortmund, which after the classico is the most attended derby in the world.

Let alone the violence of the Istanbul matches btw Besiktas Galatasary and Fernerbache
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by topeorekoy(m): 1:30pm On Jun 09, 2007
doyin13:

I guess we are all so eurocentric.

NO one has mentioned the likes of the Buenos Aires derby between River and Boca or the Cairo derby between

Al Ahly and Zamalek.

Let alone the violence of the Istanbul matches between Besiktas Galatasary and Fernerbache

THESE ONES ARE REAL COOL DERBIES. HOW ON EARTH DID ANYONE NOT MENTION THEM. ZAMALEK AND AL AHLY. THATS A REAL DERBY. RIVERPLATE AND BOCA. DAMN THATS EVEN A BETTER DERBY THAN AC MILLAN AND INTER
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by salehm(m): 1:54pm On Jun 09, 2007
The old firm derby is the biggest and bloodiest of all derbies in the world lipsrsealed
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by doyin13(m): 3:41pm On Jun 09, 2007
salehm:

The old firm derby is the biggest and bloodiest of all derbies in the world lipsrsealed

I can't believe i forgot that one. Probably the most intense derby at least in the British Isles.

Goes way beyond football.
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by teeroy(m): 1:11pm On Jun 10, 2007
The following are in my opinion the biggest derbies in the good old game of football. My conclusion is based on the fact that these are not just new-age , media-generated derbies. They are age-long and will always be there nas they go beyond football. tHESE DERBIES ARE WHAT THE CITIZENS OF THESE CITIES LOOK UP TO FOR PRIDE EVERY GIVEN YEAR EVEN WHEN THEY DON'T WIN THE MAJOR TITLES.
REAL MADRID-BARCA- the el cassico (enough said)

CELTIC-RANGERS (now this has strong religious undertones)

BOCA JUNIORS-RIVER PLATE (surpasses any soap opera from the latin continent)

AL AHLY-ZAMALEK (dis one na holy war o!!)

INTER MILAN-AC MILAN (to make it worse they play both legs on the same pitch)

MAN UTD-LIVERPOOL (this one has softened a little bit with the emergence of
chelsea and arsenal)
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by Mustay(m): 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2007
@ droy reasonable post so far
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by RuuDie(m): 9:36am On Jun 12, 2007
Akolawole:

Is this a derby?

The El Classico, Inter - Juventus, Ajax - Psv, Man Utd - L'pool are hardly derbies --- well lets just say we're talking about matches that generally generate a lot of furore & not "derbies" per say !

Argentina vs Brazil
England vs Scotland
Canon Douala vs Union Yaounde
Asante Kotoko vs Accra Hearts of Oaks
Lokomotiv Moskov vs Spartak Moskov
Barcelona vs Espanyol
Real Madrid vs Athletico Madrid
Fc Porto vs Sporting Lisbon
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by viee(f): 9:43am On Jun 12, 2007
i also rem

USA vs Iran (france 1998, i think)
it was more than soccerr!
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by RuuDie(m): 9:57am On Jun 12, 2007
hey viee, whassup ?

that's a pretty good 1; had mighty plenty political overtones wrapped around it --- thot after the match they was gonna roll out 'em Scud Missiles, Armored Tanks & all other teeny weeny Weapons of Mass Destruction but they actually ended up shaking hands grin
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by viee(f): 10:05am On Jun 12, 2007
sup Ruddie!

yu are really right!
yu will also hear it in the voice of the match commentators

the way Iran even celebrated after the match and US downcast mood says it all
i really enjoyed the build up grin
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by RuuDie(m): 10:30am On Jun 12, 2007
yeah like they'd won the cup itself ! you ever played football ?
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by viee(f): 10:56am On Jun 12, 2007
funny, as a kid, i played alongside the guys grin cheesy
while the girls are playing or cooking, i will be playn football cheesy

but as i grew older, i watched more cheesy
now, i only kick ball with my brodas cheesy
Re: The Biggest Derbies? by RuuDie(m): 11:27am On Jun 12, 2007
Oooouch almost every female that digs sports started out like you --- just figured there was a story there ! bet u don't hang out with guys as much now !?

when i was little, i used to play with the girlies more than i did with 'em guys. well not play with 'em really; more like just hang around & watch 'em play when other guys would be out playing football & stuff ! funny now some folks think i'm sorta like a female-hater --- the transition baffles me some  undecided

didn't really play a lot of football then, but i can play; could play then but was just forming "aje butter" !
a lot of people who ain't seen me play, don't think i can kuz i'm short-sighted so i always got my glasses on & they be like "Sir Alex, u go see road so ?"  grin

got my nickname RUUD from football Van Nistelrooij (been his fan ever since i'd 1st seen im kick a ball)--- virtually every guy in my 'hood has 1 from a footballer ! yours sport-related ? what football teams do you support ?

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Get Epl Matches Fixtures / EPL: Mancherster United Vs Swansea City Today At 12:45PM / Breaking News: AC Milan To Compete In The 2006/07 Champions League.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.