Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,938 members, 7,817,748 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? (666 Views)

A Whale Washed Ashore In Maryland & Citizens Attempted To Push It Back Into Sea / Early maturing Okra Seeds Available / Parrot Destroys Man's Maize Farm (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by NextDayPP: 8:00pm On Apr 28, 2020
I urge all maize farmers to come and share their opinions on this topic, I believe it will help a lot us in maximizing yield. I have come to see that some upcoming farmers mistake acre for hectare and vise versa. To put it straight, an ACRE is 6 Plots while HECTARE is 15 plots.
Please, let us endeavour to mention seed planted. Thank you.
Re: Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by pheonixdld2(m): 8:45pm On Apr 30, 2020
Please can I contact you sir? 07014678998
NextDayPP:
I urge all maize farmers to come and share their opinions on this topic, I believe it will help a lot us in maximizing yield. I have come to see that some upcoming farmers mistake acre for hectare and vise versa. To put it straight, an ACRE is 6 Plots while HECTARE is 15 plots.
Re: Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by NextDayPP: 6:54pm On May 01, 2020
Of course you can sir. 0-7-0-5-4-2-8-8-0-4-8, preferably WhatsApp

pheonixdld2:
Please can I contact you sir? 07014678998
Re: Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by grandstar(m): 7:23pm On May 01, 2020
NextDayPP:

The problem maybe the whether.

A Zimbabwean farmer based in kwara state complained he harvested half the quantity of maize on his Nigerian farm when compared to the yield in Zimbabwe.
Re: Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by NextDayPP: 10:33pm On May 01, 2020
By weather you mean rainfall?, I believe you. In one of these American sites I visited, I discovered that their yield with irrigation is higher than rainfed with 36,000 to 42, 000 population per ACRE. Pioneer seed customer care told me they recommend 50,600 per HECTARE. Premier seed said they recommend based on kg, that is, 20kg per HECTARE. I'm sure 20kg is far more than 50,600 from pioneer.

Where I am presently, the stream here can irrigate hectares in double figure, but where is the empowerment. May God help us.

grandstar:

The problem maybe the whether.

A Zimbabwean farmer based in kwara state complained he harvested half the quantity of maize on his Nigerian farm when compared to the yield in Zimbabwe.
Re: Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by grandstar(m): 10:39pm On May 01, 2020
NextDayPP:
By weather you mean rainfall?, I believe you. In one of these American sites I visited, I discovered that their yield with irrigation is higher than rainfed with 36,000 to 42, 000 population per ACRE. Pioneer seed customer care told me they recommend 50,600 per HECTARE. Premier seed said they recommend based on kg, that is, 20kg per HECTARE. I'm sure 20kg is far more than 50,600 from pioneer.

Where I am presently, the stream here can irrigate hectares in double figure, but where is the empowerment. May God help us.

I actually meant climate. Zinbabwes colder than here but not too cold.
Re: Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by NextDayPP: 11:18pm On May 01, 2020
Interesting, I was under the impression that hot weather is best for maize. But I remember someone told me recently that there should be a balance between hot and cold, he said April to June is the best time in the south west where I am. That is the balance Zimbabwe has. Thank you bro for sharing. God bless you.

grandstar:

I actually meant climate. Zinbabwes colder than here but not too cold.
Re: Maize Population, How Far Can We Push It With Seeds Available In Nigeria? by safarifarms(m): 6:38am On Dec 07, 2023
NextDayPP:
Interesting, I was under the impression that hot weather is best for maize. But I remember someone told me recently that there should be a balance between hot and cold, he said April to June is the best time in the south west where I am. That is the balance Zimbabwe has. Thank you bro for sharing. God bless you.

Besides management practices, crop performance is also affected by some other factors.
Weather/climatic conditions
Soil structure/composition
Soil pH
Pest/diseases
Nutrient availability

Without human intervention all these things differ from place to place.

So even within Nigeria, some crops do better in the South than in the North and there are also some crops that do better in the North.

Crops from temperate regions tend to thrive better in Plateau State and in some other places they may not even germinate.

(1) (Reply)

What Kind Of Insect Is This? / Urgently In Need Of A Soyabean, Palm Kernel And Maize Bulkseller / How To Use Garri To Make Delicious Bread.(echbee Garri--bread)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.