Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,504 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry (848 Views)

Is Poultry Business Profitable In The South East? / How Profitable Is Poultry Feed Distribution / Is Poultry Business Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by Gadgetmobil(m): 9:57pm On Apr 28, 2020
I have received many chats with questions such as this,hence my intention to open this thread.
I'd like all questions to be asked here on Poultry so people can learn in years to come.

I'd like to give you a brief Intro.
I started as Inexperienced as I was with 20 4 weeks Broilers.
I made my mistakes and I moved on.
With a Foreseeable Future I resigned from Banking into Poultry, well I have Seen very tough days but am very comfortable now if am to say.

Poultry is a very dicey Business, its not a Business for a Retiree or someone who won a Jackpot to dash into.
No matter how rich or poor you may think you are, always start small in Poultry.

I have been able to grow a Business in all segments of Poultry especially Commercial Poultry Production as not all Poultry Sectors are profitable.

I have done aomw Trainings and with time I could be pasting them here.

Till then ask all the Questions you may need but Pls don't ask about diseases and Operations in Poultry.
Just the Business aspect
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by tidalstorm(m): 10:09pm On Apr 28, 2020
Broiler vs layers.
Which is more profitable in the long run?
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by Gadgetmobil(m): 11:01pm On Apr 28, 2020
This is a very detailed topic.
It Would require time to respond.
I'd so that
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by Gadgetmobil(m): 10:02am On Apr 30, 2020
Broilers and Layers are equally profitable.
It depends on how much you know before venturing in.
Many people just go into Production without an understanding of the Market, its best you partake in selling Eggs and Chicken, become a part of the market before venturing into it.
Broilers require more marketing hence you need to pay more attention.
Eggs from layers might be easier to sell but there is always that Glut factor, thus you need to do more marketing and ensure those markets receive Eggs even during Scarcity.
Believe me there are people in both business that complain of losses either way.
So chart your own Course
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by Hollywayglobal: 2:19pm On Apr 30, 2020
Hi can u please reach me on whatsapp
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by noble4(m): 5:24pm On Apr 30, 2020
sir, just like you, i intended to start small but feasibility scared me away. unlike what agric ebook authors said. chicken (noiler/broiler) or turkey feed left me little or no profit.
As for the noiler and broiler, i planned to buy 2 weeks old and rear for 4 mths in which theyll have grown and fattened but the feed fee for 4 months is a no no.
Lets not even dive into � thatll take up to 6 months to reach table size.
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by excanny: 6:49pm On Apr 30, 2020
noble4:
sir, just like you, i intended to start small but feasibility scared me away. unlike what agric ebook authors said. chicken (noiler/broiler) or turkey feed left me little or no profit.
As for the noiler and broiler, i planned to buy 2 weeks old and rear for 4 mths in which theyll have grown and fattened but the feed fee for 4 months is a no no.

How many feeds did u buy?

How many broilers did u sell and at what age?
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by Gadgetmobil(m): 9:42pm On Apr 30, 2020
Hollywayglobal:
Hi can u please reach me on whatsapp
Do let us discuss the matter here and I'd chat you up if need be.
My apologies
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by Gadgetmobil(m): 9:51pm On Apr 30, 2020
noble4:

Poultry has a Foundation
You need to lay this Foundation to grow.
For Broilers before venturing in ensure you have a Market that can mop it up. Visit market women and find out how much its being sold and purchased and what Qty and size they buy.
You can also approach Frozen Chicken Sellers.
Then buy all the feed you want even before buying the Day Old Chicks. This way you have no stories.
For Noilers/Cockerels /Turkeys, reserve their feed funds for 2-3 months before starting.

Layers on the other hand may be cheaper for you to grow, but if you are a Novice, it's best you buy Point of Lay.
Also most drugs for Layers/Pullets are in 1000 doses and failure to give them certain drugs could lead to poor production.

Dont think you can start small and grow in Poultry Commercial Production, it's either you are in or Out, if not continue with the Backside Poultry of less than 50 Birds.

To grow however try buying Point of Lay and start with it, no matter how little and Grow with it, Eggs gives good turn over not and present a leverage for your future growth Expense.
If you however settle on spending the funds from Eggsales, you may just remain where you are
Re: Is Poultry Profitable? Enter And Find Out All You Need To Know About Poultry by Gadgetmobil(m): 10:10pm On May 02, 2020
*UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENCES IN BROILERS TRAITS AND STRAINS*���

There have been confusion in the modern *Broilers* market as to which is the best of *Broilers* ; *COBB, ROSS or ARBOR ACRE (AA) *

Before any analysis, i want us to understand the great-grand-parents (Pedigree) of broilers.
:-�� Crosses of *CORNISH GIANT(male) ✖ PLYMOUTH ROCK(female)*.
In most cases, both are white to continue the lineage of white feather trait. The Cornish males are known to be broad breasted and tall, while the Rock females are known to be fast growers with evenly deposited muscle mass.
The cross of both gave a superb result ���� *BROILERS, BREEDERS AND PARENTS* ���

�� History, please read.

✅ *COBB®* is the first brand name company to start the crossing research of broilers for meat as far as 1916 in U.S, is known as the oldest company of broilers pedigree. Their history of broilers production serial as *Cobb, Avian, Sasso, Cobbsasso, Cobb500, Cobb700*

✅ *AVIAGEN®* is known as U.S company that rose up after Cobb to become the world largest research and supply of broilers pedigree having branches in America and Europe with several brand franchises. They supply pedigree to U.S based *Ross®*, U.K and European based *Arbor Acre®*, *Hubbard® and Indian River®* in Europe and Asia.

Key points:
All the modern broiler strains are just names from international companies that sell broilers breeders all over the world.

*COMMON BROILER STRAINS IN NIGERIA, Efficiency and Productivity.*��

✅ *COBB500* grows fast & tall, evenly distributed muscle mass, less fat, FCR 1.4 - 1.65 in 6wks, weight improvement when ME is above 3000 KCal at finisher stage. Looks like the Marshall but Marshall has bigger leg bone mass. *COBB700* is the latest and improved, scarce in Nigeria.

✅ *ROSS308* grows faster, more breast muscles, less fat, poorer FCR 1.7 - 2.2 in 6wks, no significant weight improvement above ME 3000 KCal, best result in a closed cold system or during winter, lowest immunity/survivability according to research and comparison. *ROSS708* is the improved strain but not yet in Nigeria. *ROSS808* is still under research

✅ *ARBOR ACRE (AA)* grows fast, evenly distributed muscle mass, less fat, FCR 1.6 - 1.9 in 6wks, ME range from 2900 KCal and above is able to give efficient result, better warm climate performance in comparison, highest immunity/survivability according to research in comparison. *ARBOR ACRE plus (AA+)* is the currently improved strain, scarce in Nigeria.

*CONCLUSION* ��
In the real sense from the absorbed and absolved information above, it now depends on individual farmer preference to choose which best fits for his/her farm management either in growth rate, tallness, FCR, ME, or survivability.
In general, all the broiler strains give equivalent weight at 6wks with Ross on increased margin but poorer FCR and survivability in modern broilers comparison.
Copied

(1) (Reply)

Cockerel Farming December / Job Offer:-farm Assistant Needed In A Fish Farm In Delta State. / Large Capacity Vegetable Cutting Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.