Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,963 members, 7,821,383 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) (309767 Views)

Picture Of Would Be Boko Haram Suicide Bomber (warning Disturbing Image) / Face Of The Kaduna Suicide Bomber....warning Disturbing Graphic Material / Father Accused Me Of Witchcraft, Bathed Me With Acid (WARNING:disturbing Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:46pm On Jan 09, 2011
Starving Igbos, Biafra, Nigeria July 1968

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:47pm On Jan 09, 2011
Wife of a Nigerian Officer burned alive Biafra Nigeria April 1968

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:47pm On Jan 09, 2011
The Biafran Cabinet at a Church service, on the extreme right is the late Sir Louis Mbanefo- former Supreme Court Judge and Judge of the World Court

1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:48pm On Jan 09, 2011
1968 - A Biafran soldier in the bush on alert before the invasion of Abagana

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:48pm On Jan 09, 2011
1969, at parade to celebrate the Second Independence Anniversary of Biafra; General Effiong is fourth from left; General Ojukwu, Head of State, is fifth from lef

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:49pm On Jan 09, 2011
1969, Major General Philip Efiong returning from a visit to a refugee camp in Nto Edino in present-day Akwa Ibom State

2 Shares

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:49pm On Jan 09, 2011
At the end of the Civil War; second from left is General Effiong, third is Colonel O. Obasanjo.

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:50pm On Jan 09, 2011
August 29, 1968 - Folk singer Joan Baez and rock singer Jimi Hendrix chat between acts at a Biafran Relief Benefit show at a place in Manhattan called Steve Paul's Scene.

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by phantom(m): 6:50pm On Jan 09, 2011
lol @ 'we shouldnt forget our history'
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:50pm On Jan 09, 2011
Biafran child soldier said to be about 13, and one of the Onumonus, and former French Legionnaire Rolf Steiner awaiting orders

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:51pm On Jan 09, 2011
End of the Nigerian civil war. Major-General Gowon (left) shakes hands with Major-General Phillip Effiong (right).

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:51pm On Jan 09, 2011
End of the War; In the true spirit of African reconciliation, kola nut is shared; General Efiong, extreme right, takes a piece

1 Like

Gen. Phillip Effiong and Wife

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:52pm On Jan 09, 2011
Owerri, Biafra -Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu, leader of secessionist Biafra, announces introduction of new currency and postage stamps, officially issued on January 29th 1968

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:53pm On Jan 09, 2011
Nigerian Troops firing artillery gun in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, during the Nigerian Civil War. Col Benjamin Adekunle is seen here with left hand on the artillery gun.

"Personally, now and for some time I feel so ashamed to have killed people to sustain the unity of Nigeria. I feel so sad to have shed blood for the unity of Nigeria. While some of us were dying in the battle field for the restoration of Nigeria as one country, some people have their eagle eyes on one particular subject, oil, the live wire of the economy, the new fulcrum or pendulum of power. While we fought for one country, some people have been reaping where they did not sow. They have been reaping from bogus population figures fashioned to suit their selfish purposes"

-Brig. Benjamin Adekunle

28 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:54pm On Jan 09, 2011
American pilot Ron Archer, en route to Biafra on an ammunition supply run for the Biafran army [Circa 1968].

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:56pm On Jan 09, 2011
Why has there been an outcry against brutalities committed in Rwanda, Darfur, Liberia, South Africa, etc, and yet no one has been held accountable for the atrocities deliberately committed against these innocent people?

When I look at these photos I realize that the Biafra story is yet to be fully told.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Dede1(m): 7:08pm On Jan 09, 2011
Bros in your second post, I guess the Biafran Officers were Wing Commander Igweilo, Gens. Ojukwu and Effiong. I could be wrong too.

Good thread for the memories.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by bashr4: 7:11pm On Jan 09, 2011
thanks for the pics , one day i will personally make a full unbiased documentry about the civil war.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Dede1(m): 7:14pm On Jan 09, 2011
@Benjamin Adekunle

He was not smart enough to realize the flaws in fighting Biafrans. The smartness honor should go to Lt Col. Ayo Ariyo who resigned his commission into Nigerian army instead of fighting Biafrans.

10 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by ekubear1: 7:17pm On Jan 09, 2011
Certainly was smart enough to make mincemeat of them on the battlefield, though.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by monkeyleg: 7:18pm On Jan 09, 2011
Hunting pictures. I have asked the same question time without number. Why do we not celebrate or remember the civil war. It is part of our History.

I recently spoke to a friend who was about 7 /8 during the civil war, he spoke about some terrible stories. I am still trying to get him to document what happened. Alos i have promised myself to sit with my father and let him tell me about the war.

3 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Orikinla(m): 7:19pm On Jan 09, 2011
Poster, do a photo documentary with short descriptions and get the book published.
You have been able to document some of the most important facts of Biafra.
Well done.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by monkeyleg: 7:22pm On Jan 09, 2011
This is a project i have always longed to see. I recently stumble on a research being done @ a University in Florida on the massacre that took place in Asaba. these stories need to be told.

The Americans remember thier civil war, the british remember the various wars they have been involved in. Why not us?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Sharonf(f): 7:25pm On Jan 09, 2011
Look at the pictures of the officials at a church service, beautifully clothed.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:31pm On Jan 09, 2011
General Gowon at an OAU conference.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:33pm On Jan 09, 2011
BENJAMIN ADEKUNLE SHOOTING AT EVERY CREATURE THAT MOVED

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:34pm On Jan 09, 2011
Biafran Children

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:37pm On Jan 09, 2011
Biafran Soldiers

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 09, 2011
Sharon_f:

Look at the pictures of the officials at a church service, beautifully clothed.

Animal farm syndrome. All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others. I bet Ojukwu never went a day without his three square meals.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Dede1(m): 7:38pm On Jan 09, 2011
eku_bear:

Certainly was smart enough to make mincemeat of them on the battlefield, though.

In the absence of numerical strength on the Nigerian side and lack of military equipment on the Biafran side that aided the unfounded reports of bravery about Benjamin Adekunle, the commander of 3MCDO was very ordinary.

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 09, 2011
Dede1:

In the absence of numerical strength on the Nigerian side and lack of military equipment on the Biafran side that aided the unfounded reports of bravery about Benjamin Adekunle, the commander of 3MCDO was very ordinary.

Not even Obasanjo or Gowon would make such a statement.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Cults/gangs: Their Code Name And Orientation. Beware! / My Story As A Cult Member........initiation Phase Included...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.