Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study (33839 Views)

Nigeria Using Remdesivir To Treat COVID-19 Patients - Ehanire / Babafemi Taiwo Studying On Remdesivir COVID-19 Drug / COVID-19: Patients Getting Remdesivir Recovering Quickly, Discharged In Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Jokerman(m): 9:13pm On Apr 29, 2020
An experimental drug has proved effective against the new coronavirus in a major study, shortening the time it takes for patients to recover by four days on average, U.S. government and company officials announced Wednesday.

Gilead Sciences’s remdesivir is the first treatment to pass such a strict test against the virus, which has killed more than 218,000 people since it emerged late last year in China. Having a treatment could have a profound effect on the global pandemic, especially because health officials say any vaccine is likely a year or more away.

The study, run by the National Institutes of Health, tested remdesivir versus usual care in 1,063 hospitalized coronavirus patients around the world. At the White House, NIH's Dr. Anthony Fauci said the drug reduced the time it takes patients to recover by 31% — 11 days on average versus 15 days for those just given usual care.

He also said there was a trend toward fewer deaths among those on remdesivir, and that full results would soon be published in a medical journal.

“What it has proven is that a drug can block this virus,” Fauci said. “This will be the standard of care."

A statement from the Food and Drug Administration says that the agency has been talking with California-based Gilead “regarding making remdesivir available to patients as quickly as possible, as appropriate.”

Remdesivir is among many treatments being tested against the coronavirus but was the farthest along in study.

“We are excited and optimistic,” said one expert, Vanderbilt University’s Dr. Mark Denison. His lab first tested remdesivir against other coronaviruses in 2013 and has done much research on it since, but was not involved in the NIH study.

“It’s active against every coronavirus that we’ve ever tested,” he said. “It was very hard for the virus to develop resistance to remdesivir. That means the drug would likely be effective over longer term use.”

The company also said no new safety problems emerged in that study, and that it would publish results in a medical journal soon.

https://news.yahoo.com/company-says-drug-proved-effective-142248605.html?ncid=facebook_yahoonewsf_akfmevaatca&fbclid=IwAR2TTqUGVR9llwx6Rk-gk1m0kO3TkSQED28iC8A6HBGZAAGC1au7R8nylSA

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 9:19pm On Apr 29, 2020
At least it went through credible trials, unlike the chloroquine and bleach that one country's president was touting as a cure!

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Jokerman(m): 9:20pm On Apr 29, 2020
Lol... Mine is for the thing to work fully and let everything go back to normal.... Ko deruñ!!!

God bless America again... grin

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by honeyB2018: 9:23pm On Apr 29, 2020
God be praised. I pray that this be faster, to reduce the tension and rate of deaths.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by GamalNasser: 9:24pm On Apr 29, 2020
budaatum:
At least it went through credible trials, unlike the chloroquine and bleach that one country's president was touting as a cure!

Sharap you Buharist!!!!!!! Chloroquine has been proven to have a 100 percent efficacy against COVID and Trump never said bleach was a cure to anything ...You Muslims should leave Trump alone and take your problems to Saudi that put you in this bondage in the first place

327 Likes 35 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 9:25pm On Apr 29, 2020
Jokerman:
Lol... Mine is for the thing to work fully and let everything go back to normal.... Ko deruñ!!!

God bless America again... grin
It does not work as much as you think o, it just might make you live 4 or 5 days longer before you die, so please be careful still!

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by GamalNasser: 9:27pm On Apr 29, 2020
Gilead stocks about to rise , seems Satanist Dr Fauci has abandoned Bill Gates for now

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Jokerman(m): 9:28pm On Apr 29, 2020
budaatum:

It does not work as much as you think o, it just might make you live 4 or 5 days longer before you die, so please be careful still!

I'm not dying anytime now... So sorry.. I don't have Corona, moreover, I'm living to declare God's word for a very long time

155 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 9:30pm On Apr 29, 2020
GamalNasser:

Sharap you Buharist!!!!!!! Chloroquine has been proven to have a 100 percent efficacy against COVID and Trump never said bleach was a cure to anything ...You Muslims should leave Trump alone and take your problems to Saudi that put you in this bondage in the first place
I wonder why people keep calling buda a Muslim as if being a Muslim is some sort of disease. I bet you pressume to be a Christian too and do not consider me your neighbour or your enemy even whom Christ taught you to love!

No need to be rude. Just go and catch coronavirus and cure yourself with chloroquine.

79 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 9:32pm On Apr 29, 2020
Jokerman:

I'm not dying anytime now... So sorry.. I don't have Corona, moreover, I'm living to declare God's word for a very long time
In the mighty name of Jesus Christ the Messiah will your days indeed be long upon the land the Lord thy God has given thee. Amen.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by GamalNasser: 9:35pm On Apr 29, 2020
budaatum:

I wonder why people keep calling buda a Muslim as if being a Muslim is some sort of disease. I bet you pressume to be a Christian too and do not consider me your neighbour or your enemy even whom Christ taught you to love!

No need to be rude. Just go and catch coronavirus and cure yourself with chloroquine.

Stop denying your religion ..you know nothing about how the big pharma industry works so keep decieving yourself ok

21 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Miracle1991: 9:40pm On Apr 29, 2020
GamalNasser:

ranting of a fuuul

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 9:43pm On Apr 29, 2020
GamalNasser:

Stop denying your religion ..you know nothing about how the big pharma industry works so keep decieving yourself ok
You are correct. Michigan Democrat thanking Trump is definitely evidence that you are not deceiving yourself that chloroquine will cure you of your stupidity.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by NaijaRoyalty(m): 9:43pm On Apr 29, 2020
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by GamalNasser: 9:44pm On Apr 29, 2020
budaatum:

You are correct. Michigan Democrat thanking Trump is definitely evidence that you are not deceiving yourself that chloroquine will cure you of your stupidity.

Gerrout GTFOH

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 9:45pm On Apr 29, 2020
GamalNasser:

Gerrout GTFOH
Lol you poor ignorant sod.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by GamalNasser: 9:49pm On Apr 29, 2020
budaatum:

Lol you poor ignorant sod.

Abeg take your low IQ and herd mentality out of my front before I insult the hell out of U an get banned

13 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 9:50pm On Apr 29, 2020
GamalNasser:

Abeg take your low IQ and herd mentality out of my front before I insult the hell out of U an get banned
Please, insult buda. Pretty please, just do.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by ozoebuka1(m): 9:50pm On Apr 29, 2020
They'd rush it because it's European made but Madagascar had their own cure everyone is avoiding it because it wasn't made in Europe... Smh

37 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Nwanyiogwashi(f): 9:58pm On Apr 29, 2020
Waiting for a day our Muslim countries will provide solutions to things like this cheesy grin and I hope those people that always shout death to American and always burn America flag will not take America cure or vaccine cheesy grin

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by budaatum: 10:04pm On Apr 29, 2020
ozoebuka1:
They'd rush it because it's European made but Madagascar had their own cure everyone is avoiding it because it wasn't made in Europe... Smh
I can't believe intelligent people will believe the equivalent of agbo that the Madagascan President is promoting is a cure for corona virus. I'm sure if Buhari says drink agbo, your eyes will suddenly open to the truth.

Still, we are going nowhere. Come back to me when Madagascans start dying like flies, after all, that's what's happening in the land where their President said drink bleach.

9 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Rilwayne001: 10:36pm On Apr 29, 2020
GamalNasser:
Gilead stocks about to rise , seems Satanist Dr Fauci has abandoned Bill Gates for now

grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by GamalNasser: 10:37pm On Apr 29, 2020

2 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by contigiency(m): 6:36am On Apr 30, 2020
Lord please may this news be true, so that your children all over the world can have a respite.

11 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by donprinyo(m): 6:36am On Apr 30, 2020
budaatum:
Olodo, wetin ur president suggest?

4 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Urchman200: 6:37am On Apr 30, 2020
budaatum:
is the same country that is also telling us this one ,what has ur own president told us from his own end?

9 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Martinola(m): 6:37am On Apr 30, 2020
If the virus gets weakened by the drug and it reduces recovery span, it should be used in treating patients

2 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by johnkay1(m): 6:38am On Apr 30, 2020
I pray it works. We are despirately in need of covid-19 drugs now.

1 Like

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Chekwube1989(m): 6:38am On Apr 30, 2020
Good news if it comes from great America they will still retain their world power but if not ...........

4 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by Write4me(m): 6:39am On Apr 30, 2020
Even Cameroon get combination of drugs dem de try for the thing. Overhere we cross our legs drinking nunu and hoping someone somewhere finds a solution.

7 Likes

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by contigiency(m): 6:39am On Apr 30, 2020
donprinyo:

Olodo, wetin ur president suggest?

Oga, suggestions are not meant for presidents alone. Give us your own solution. I know that many unfortunate things like you have been applauding Trump who has stupidly led many to death through his life threatening advice, all because he is the president of the so called saner clime.

My little happiness in all of this, is just the fact that this virus has helped to expose many things. One of those things is the fact that saner clime of a thing is hoax. Otherwise, how can a president be talking so stupidly like Trump has been doing over this virus? And the supposed educated and saner people, foolishly accepted and started killing themselves with chloroquine and disinfectants.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Remdesivir Proves Effective Against Coronavirus In US Study by dayleke: 6:40am On Apr 30, 2020
Good

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How 7,276 Patients Contracted COVID-19 In Nigeria Unknown - NCDC / Coronavirus Casualties Surpass SARS; At Least 811 Deaths Recorded So Far / How Tramadol Nearly Made Me Impotent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.