Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,808 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? (480 Views)

Why Muslims Do Not Celebrate And Congratulate Non-muslims On Their Festivals? / Offering Condolences To Non-muslims / What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by tintingz(m): 7:08am On Apr 30, 2020
I often here Muslim saying the Muslim warlords or caliphs left non-muslims to practice their religion after invading their land, is this true? Yes but not totally true.

The Muslim warriors then conquered lands and took over lands and later set a treaty/tribute, this treaty/tribute comes with conditions and provision which is called Jizya (tax on non-muslims). This is the reasons why the non-muslims in invaded lands were left to practice their religion not that they to leave them willingly, it comes with a price.

Now the question is, what happens if non-muslims fail or refuse to pay Jizya(tax)?
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by InfinityFabric: 12:30am On May 01, 2020
Why are they required to pay that tax ?
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by tintingz(m): 5:43am On May 01, 2020
InfinityFabric:
Why are they required to pay that tax ?

Like I said above, for treaty.

Treaty in this context is that, the non-muslims will be left alone to practice their religion.
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by InfinityFabric: 10:21am On May 01, 2020
tintingz:

Like I said above, for treaty.

Treaty in this context is that, the non-muslims will be left alone to practice their religion.
You see yourself now Olodo.
It was paid in exchange for the protection of these non-Muslim communities (i.e., military protection) and exemption of their men from joining the Islamic army.
Also Muslims (of a required net-worth) are required pay Zakat by force if need be.
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by tintingz(m): 4:47pm On May 01, 2020
InfinityFabric:

You see yourself now Olodo.
It was paid in exchange for the protection of these non-Muslim communities (i.e., military protection) and exemption of their men from joining the Islamic army.
Also Muslims (of a required net-worth) are required pay Zakat by force if need be.

They pay Jizya(tax) for protection and to be allowed to practice their religion, there are Qur'an verses and Hadith where Jizya is placed on non-muslims.

Fight those of the People of the Book who do not [truly] believe in God and the Last Day, who do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden, who do not behave according to the rule of justice, until they pay the tax and submit to it. (Qur'an 9:29).

Here's from Ibn Kathir Tafsir on it,

Allah said, (until they pay the Jizyah), if they do not choose to embrace Islam, (with willing submission), in defeat and subservience, (and feel themselves subdued.), disgraced, humiliated and belittled. Therefore, Muslims are not allowed to honor the people of Dhimmah or elevate them above Muslims, for they are miserable, disgraced and humiliated. Muslim recorded from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet said, "Do not initiate the Salam to the Jews and Christians, and if you meet any of them in a road, force them to its narrowest alley." This is why the Leader of the faithful `Umar bin Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, demanded his well-known conditions be met by the Christians, these conditions that ensured their continued humiliation, degradation and disgrace.
Tafsir Ibn Kathir

The Jizya is a condition and provisions to allow the non-muslims practice their religion, it's a form of punishment of humiliation and disgrace for not worshiping Muhammad's God(Allah). Of course the Muslim warriors will protect them since they're under the Islamic ruler and as long as they pay the tax, it's part of the treaty.

Zakat is a charitable tax which is no under any treaty, condition nor punishment, no one is punished for not paying Zakat, it's not a treaty nor tribute.

Why can't the non-muslims pay Zakat too? Why are they imposed to pay a tribute or treaty tax?
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by InfinityFabric: 7:35pm On May 01, 2020
tintingz:

They pay Jizya(tax) for protection and to be allowed to practice their religion, there are Qur'an verses and Hadith where Jizya is placed on non-muslims.
So I'm correct, it's for protection and they don't get to be enlisted in the army.

Zakat is a charitable tax which is no under any treaty, condition nor punishment, no one is punished for not paying Zakat, it's not a treaty nor tribute.
Olodo!
Zakah is obligatory and no punishment needed by the authority since they can just take it.

Why can't the non-muslims pay Zakat too? Why are they imposed to pay a tribute or treaty tax?
Do u even understand what Zakah means ?
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by sulasa07(m): 7:44pm On May 01, 2020
tintingz:

Fight those of the People of the Book who do not [truly] believe in God and the Last Day, who do not forbid what God and His Messenger have forbidden, who do not behave according to the rule of justice, until they pay the tax and submit to it. (Qur'an 9:29).

Here's from Ibn Kathir Tafsir on it,

Allah said, (until they pay the Jizyah), if they do not choose to embrace Islam, (with willing submission), in defeat and subservience, (and feel themselves subdued.), disgraced, humiliated and belittled. Therefore, Muslims are not allowed to honor the people of Dhimmah or elevate them above Muslims, for they are miserable, disgraced and humiliated. Muslim recorded from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet said, "Do not initiate the Salam to the Jews and Christians, and if you meet any of them in a road, force them to its narrowest alley." This is why the Leader of the faithful `Umar bin Al-Khattab, may Allah be pleased with him, demanded his well-known conditions be met by the Christians, these conditions that ensured their continued humiliation, degradation and disgrace.
Tafsir Ibn Kathir

The Jizya is a condition and provisions to allow the non-muslims practice their religion, it's a form of punishment of humiliation and disgrace for not worshiping Muhammad's God(Allah). Of course the Muslim warriors will protect them since they're under the Islamic ruler and as long as they pay the tax, it's part of the treaty.

As much as I know,if you don't want to pay Jizyah or become Muslim,the make sure Muslim Army don't defeat you in battle.
Even in Yorubaland,other small states pay "Isakole or tribute" to the Bigger n powerful state.
I don't now understand why Muslim State can't collect it.
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by tintingz(m): 9:34pm On May 01, 2020
sulasa07:

As much as I know,if you don't want to pay Jizyah or become Muslim,the make sure Muslim Army don't defeat you in battle.
Even in Yorubaland,other small states pay "Isakole or tribute" to the Bigger n powerful state.
I don't now understand why Muslim State can't collect it.

Colonizing a land is wrong whether Yoruba people did it or the Europeans did it or the Muslims did it, it's all wrong and paying tributes for your freedom makes it more wrong.

Why did the Muslims conquer lands just because some people don't believe in their God?

Islam is said to be a divine religion, why the hell will an omnipotent merciful God want his worshipers to take over lands?
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by sulasa07(m): 9:38pm On May 01, 2020
tintingz:

Colonizing a land is wrong whether Yoruba people did it or the Europeans did it or the Muslims did it, it's all wrong and paying tributes for your freedom makes it more wrong.

Why did the Muslims conquer lands just because some people don't believe in their God?

Islam is said to be a divine religion, why the hell will an omnipotent merciful God want his worshipers to take over lands?
Well if Muslims didn't conquer it,others would have like the Europeans,at least when Muslims take over land,and people still practice their religion and they don't make you sign documents like the Europeans that we are still slaves to them forever.
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by tintingz(m): 9:43pm On May 01, 2020
InfinityFabric:

So I'm correct, it's for protection and they don't get to be enlisted in the army.
Colonial masters protect it slaves, captives as long as they pay tributes and if you don't pay you become total slave, used for army or get killed.

Jizya is a price for freedom and to humiliate the non-muslims, did you skip Ibn Kathir commentary?

Olodo!
Zakah is obligatory and no punishment needed by the authority since they can just take it.
Calling me Olodo won't change the fact that your Muslim warlords committed atrocities as commanded by God.

Zakat is charitable tax, It's obligatory by faith just like the other pillars of Islam not as a tribute in war and colonialism.

Do u even understand what Zakah means ?

What's Zakat?
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by tintingz(m): 9:58pm On May 01, 2020
sulasa07:

Well if Muslims didn't conquer it,others would have like the Europeans,at least when Muslims take over land,and people still practice their religion and they don't make you sign documents like the Europeans that we are still slaves to them forever.

You think the Muslims didn't keep them as slaves, you think they didn't humiliate them?. Read Ibn Kathir commentary.

It was at a point the Muslim caliphs converted the lands to Islamic nations under Sharia law. Apostasy becomes a crime.

Read the Muslim conquests and how they kept people as slaves. Slavery is allowed in Islam.
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by sulasa07(m): 10:02pm On May 01, 2020
tintingz:

You think the Muslims didn't keep them as slaves, you think they didn't humiliate them?. Read Ibn Kathir commentary.

It was at a point the Muslim caliphs converted the lands to Islamic nations under Sharia law. Apostasy becomes a crime.

Read the Muslim conquests and how they kept people as slaves. Slavery is allowed in Islam.
If you don't want to get humiliated,protect your colony,you aren't talking about when the Mongols captured Muslims lands or when Christians took over Spain and Jerusalem and slaughtered Muslims and also forcing them to join Christianity and also slavery.To me,it's just a continuous circle but some kind of slavery are better than some thou thank GOD I wasn't there.
Re: Does The Muslim Conquests In History tolerated Non-muslims? by tintingz(m): 11:40pm On May 01, 2020
sulasa07:

If you don't want to get humiliated,protect your colony,you aren't talking about when the Mongols captured Muslims lands or when Christians took over Spain and Jerusalem and slaughtered Muslims and also forcing them to join Christianity and also slavery.To me,it's just a continuous circle but some kind of slavery are better than some thou thank GOD I wasn't there.

I'm not saying other religions and nations didn't invade lands.

My point is, religion is suppose to a moral practice but we see Muslims and Christians practicing colonialism which is not moral today.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

As Salam Alaekum / Wishing For Death Due To Harm That Has Come / Qur'an VS Halloween || Ruqyah At Thorpe Park

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.