Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,574 members, 7,812,865 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them (20871 Views)

What Islam Says About Celebrating The Birth Of The Prophet? / What Islam Says About Pre-marital Medical Examination / Igbo Woman Proud To Convert To Islam: Says "Islam Has Come To Stay In Igboland" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Lukgaf(m): 4:39am On Dec 25, 2020
What is the ruling on celebrating non-Muslims' holiday? Can a Muslim celebrate them?

Praise be to Allah.

Greeting the kuffaar on Christmas and other religious holidays of theirs is haraam, by consensus, as Ibn al-Qayyim, may Allaah have mercy on him, said in Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah: "Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not aceept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):
"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . ."
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . . This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . . ."
[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers." [Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."

Whoever does anything of this sort is a sinner, whether he does it out of politeness or to be friendly, or because he is too shy to refuse, or for whatever other reason, because this is hypocrisy in Islaam, and because it makes the kuffaar feel proud of their religion.

Allaah is the One Whom we ask to make the Muslims feel proud of their religion, to help them adhere steadfastly to it, and to make them victorious over their enemies, for He is the Strong and Omnipotent.

Majmoo’ah Fataawa wa Rasaa’il al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/369)

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/947/ruling-on-celebrating-non-muslim-holidays-and-congratulating-them

13 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by osamz007: 4:48am On Dec 25, 2020
I MUST SAY I'M IMPRESSED
BUT RIFIKATU KEEPS COMING TO COLLECT HER CHRISTMAS RICE AND MEAT

122 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Qtsnow(m): 5:42am On Dec 25, 2020
Jazakallahu khair

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by spartan50(m): 10:09am On Dec 25, 2020
You are all mad

44 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by BonPatrick(m): 10:10am On Dec 25, 2020
Useless people

51 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Write4me(m): 10:13am On Dec 25, 2020
Mikehot:
lol, Islam that establishes it's religion on the pillar of the prophets sees a problem celebrating the birth of Jesus the acclaimed prophet but have no qualms celebrating the birth of Mohamed.

It would be great if Islamic almajiris would know this so that they keep off the street today instead of looking for Christmas leftovers and plates to lick

You are as confused as this write-up. Celebrating Birthdays are forbidden in Islam.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Skmoda360(m): 10:14am On Dec 25, 2020
I sign before I enter.....

Ok eti ya weyrey.....

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by sunshineV(f): 10:14am On Dec 25, 2020
the op and pesin wey ask op the question dey ment. saddist fvck

8 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Afritop(m): 10:14am On Dec 25, 2020
Now I understand why Boko Haram wants to bomb Christians every Christmas especially their take on this one. Thanks to the MOD for laying emphasis on it. angry

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Hoperyehmir2020(m): 10:16am On Dec 25, 2020
JazaakumuLlaahu khayran

2 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by donteddy(m): 10:17am On Dec 25, 2020
What is the meaning of kuffaar? I guess it means unbelievers. But u got it wrong cos Christian are NOT unbelievers. I believe unbelievers are people that don't believe in any God.
If u want to identity a blind religion intolerance mofo. They use Kuffaar to described Christian religion. Spit tuee

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Sergioaguero: 10:20am On Dec 25, 2020
I clicked mistakenly. I do not accept islam neither do I believe in their prophet. I believe in Onky JESUS AS MY LORD AND SAVIOUR. HE THAT DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD IS CONDEMED ALREADY. I am disappointed in the admin for putting declaration statement on a muslim post but not on a christian or circular post. It shows you are bias. For approving this kind of post, its shows you are sentimental and a bias bigot. Right your wrong.

129 Likes 11 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by BOOZELEE: 10:20am On Dec 25, 2020
Hmmmm

Don't copy dia wedding's as well, white wedding originated from Christianity.Many Muslim do this not knowing that they are commiting Haram.Some young Muslim women are obsessed with White wedding.

Don't travel abroad,avoid anything and everything that will make u leave together with infidels.Don't send ur kids,wife and family to Asia, Europe and America.Send them to Saudi,Yemen or Oman instead.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Imuhammed(m): 10:20am On Dec 25, 2020
donteddy:
What is the meaning of kuffaar? I guess it means unbelievers. But u got it wrong cos Christian are NOT unbelievers. I believe unbelievers are people that don't believe in any God.
If u want to identity a blind religion intolerance mofo. They use Kuffaar to described Christian religion. Spit tuee
sharaap what do you no that's there original name, Kuffar

1 Like

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by ggood: 10:30am On Dec 25, 2020
Islam mean terrorism

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 25, 2020
Write4me:

You are as confused as this write-up. Celebrating Birthdays are forbidden in Islam.
says a abdool who is hypnotized from shattering head on cement 5 times per day.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by ChimuchiYola(f): 10:34am On Dec 25, 2020
I'm a Muslim and I'm wishing my christian boyfriend and all christians a happy Christmas...

My christian bf is good lover

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Nobody: 10:36am On Dec 25, 2020
ChimuchiYola:
I'm a Muslim and I'm wishing my christian boyfriend and all christians a happy Christmas...

My christian bf is good lover
Nice one dear

Happy Christmas to you

23 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by wildikeman(m): 10:37am On Dec 25, 2020
Who gives a hoot about what this terrorists Christian wannabes think about Christianity

You guys can go and suck it

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by chinchonglee(m): 10:40am On Dec 25, 2020
Sergioaguero:
I clicked mistakenly. I do not accept islam neither do I believe in their prophet. I believe in Onky JESUS AS MY LORD AND SAVIOUR. HE THAT DOES NOT BELIEVE IN THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD IS CONDEMED ALREADY. I am disappointed in the admin for putting declaration statement on a muslim post but not on a christian or circular post. It shows you are bias. For approving this kind of post, its shows you are sentimental and a bias bigot. Right your wrong.
You stupid @seun...
This is for you.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by KIDfurniture(m): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2020
Madness.... madness both religion is scam... see as the fucking religion take divide us in africa. One claims theirs is the only way.. u will not enter heaven by ur 2 religion.

3 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by Newnas(m): 10:41am On Dec 25, 2020
Mikehot:
lol, Islam that establishes it's religion on the pillar of the prophets sees a problem celebrating the birth of Jesus the acclaimed prophet but have no qualms celebrating the birth of Mohamed.

It would be great if Islamic almajiris would know this so that they keep off the street today instead of looking for Christmas leftovers and plates to lick

Firstly, Pristine Islam doesn't approve celebrating the birthday of any prophet; not Muhammad son of Abdullaah and not Eesaa son of Maryam (Solat and Salam of Allaah be upon them). All those celebrating it are only following their whims because of the money they get from their gullible followers. Even they know for sure that it's manifest error.

Secondly, the so-called birthday of Jesus has no proof in the book you carry around. So where did you get it from.

Thirdly, Eesaa bn Maryam never celebrated this pagan festival and neither did his disciples. Even one of your posts on front page explain that it's a fairly recent festival.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by advocatejare(m): 10:43am On Dec 25, 2020

These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam
Muslims celebrate the birthday of Muhammad( Maulid Nabiyy) on the twelfth day of the month of Rabiulawal, the third month of the Muslim calendar, even though no one knows the exact day Muhammad was born?

It's an innovation in Islam, yet they do it, but they can't leave Christians alone.

"Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-siraat al-mustaqeem mukhaalifat ashaab al-jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak."
Yet you imitate all the pagan practices before Islam and you retained them in Islam.

Allah is a pagan moon god that was worshipped by the Arabs before Muhammad was born you Muslims worship and bow down to him, The Star and the crescent moon on your mosques is of pagan origin yet you never condemn it, kissing Blackstone is of pagan origin, yet you never condemn it. Going for hajj and doing tawaf is of pagan origin yet you do it today. Praying 5 daily prayers is from Zoroastrians yet you do it today, fasting in the month of Ramadan is of pagan origin yet you do it today. Why can't you focus on the paganism that you call religion?

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by KIDfurniture(m): 10:44am On Dec 25, 2020
Dont blame seun ooo for adding declaration statement on a muslim post oo.. he knows what they re capable of doing. The problems of this world hide under the umbrella of religion. Human beings are terrible the religion helped them the more to show our heartless some of them can be . I wish we never accepted any of the religion in africa.

Sergioaguero:

3 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by donteddy(m): 10:46am On Dec 25, 2020
Imuhammed:
sharaap what do you no that's there original name, Kuffar

Write well. I don't understand what you wrote.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by lebete3000: 10:47am On Dec 25, 2020
ANTIlSLAM:
Lukgaf, We don't beg you to wish us MERRY CHRISTMAS or celebrate it with us.. For the fact that Quran your book testifies about My LORD JESUS CHRIST that IS ALIVE till today while your messenger in person of Late Muhammad was disapointed by his god allah, directly or indirectly you must celebrate Jesus Christ..

Where did Allah disappoint Muhammad and appoint Jesus in the Quran?
Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by nuban07(m): 10:48am On Dec 25, 2020
I'm a muslim but pls always let promote peace. That's what the world needs right now

10 Likes

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by jumper524(m): 10:50am On Dec 25, 2020
una dey Dere.
am a Muslim and if I can give my christain neighbor meat on Sallah day and expect them to eat, I should also same.

Islam preaches against hypocracy so stop sugar quoting the part that suites your extremist idea..
as for me, I die hia..

71 Likes 7 Shares

Re: What Islam Says About Non-muslims Holiday And Celebrating Them by lovat(m): 10:51am On Dec 25, 2020
The problem of Islam is that the Idiots are more than sane adherents

22 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Islamic Ruling On DNA Testing To Establish Paternity / I Made A Promise To ALLAH (s.w.t) But Want To Break It / Nine Nigerian Pilgrims Die In Saudi Arabia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.