Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,012 members, 7,817,984 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

*** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** (26079 Views)

Glo Launches Another Whooping Data Plan, Will You Rock It? / Tecno Camon C5: Tecno's First 4G Enabled Smartphone. / Is 4G-LTE Network A Reality In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by jamace(m): 2:56pm On Jan 12, 2011
Glo reps should clear these allegations:

1. Is true your internet service is the worst in Naija?
2. Is it true there is nothing like 4G network?
3. What is happening to Glo1?
4. Is it true that you probably tested an LTE network like most operators around the world are doing,now and you call it launch?

I'm waiting for responses o. grin grin
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by sley4life(m): 3:10pm On Jan 12, 2011
we avnt finished with 3G now they have gone higher
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by Phate07(m): 4:01pm On Jan 12, 2011

Hmmm. Keeping fingers crossed. undecided
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by patorini(m): 4:18pm On Jan 12, 2011
bedtime stories!
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by emmatok(m): 4:48pm On Jan 12, 2011
jamace:

Glo reps should clear these allegations:

1. Is true your internet service is the worst in Naija?
2. Is it true there is nothing like 4G network?
3. What is happening to Glo1?
4. Is it true that you probably tested an LTE network like most operators around the world are doing,now and you call it launch?

I'm waiting for responses o. grin grin

Their is 4g network it is called LTE Advanced (Long-term-evolution Advanced)

Only few TELCOS in the world run the system(4g), Just in US AND ASIA.But none in Africa.

GLO is just running their usual publicity stunt. GLO 3g is the worst in NIGERIA.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by chakaz(m): 5:06pm On Jan 12, 2011
Arrant nonsense! Even in Abuja, their 3G network is nothing to be proud of! They should try to deliver a good quality 3G service to their customerz and not shouting that they are the first introduce this n that!
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by flyuche(m): 5:12pm On Jan 12, 2011
the guys running globacom, sometimes i wonder the kind of stuff they smoke.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by lafaze(m): 5:16pm On Jan 12, 2011
there are lot tins dat glo nds to put in place:
like updating there service provider .
upgradin there customer care help line.
providin essential services to there customer.
they are busy payin millions to musicians n actors who are nt on there network.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by naijatoday: 5:18pm On Jan 12, 2011
Glo needs to hire new people at their communication department

well this article explains the truth. it not a service for everyday people, it is for corporate Nigeria

Globacom, Nigeria’s second national telecoms operator, has launched a Long Term Evolution (LTE) network, Nigerian Tribune reports. [b]Services will initially be available to corporate users in Lagos and other large cities for wireless backhaul, following on from an agreement signed with US vendor Ceragon Networks in September 2010 for the provision of high-capacity 4G/LTE-ready wireless backhaul solutions. Globacom said it will launch last mile connectivity for the LTE network in the near future, as soon as 4G-enabled phones and modems are made available in Nigeria. [/b]Commenting on the network launch, Globacom’s chief operating official, Mohamed Jameel, said: ‘[LTE] will further enhance more demanding applications like interactive TV, mobile video blogging, advanced games or professional services, enabling more Nigerians to be on top of their game and thereby ruling their world. For our subscribers, LTE offers the key benefits of performance and capacity.’

http://www.telegeography.com/cu/article.php?article_id=35780&email=html
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by passyjango(m): 5:21pm On Jan 12, 2011
emmatok:

Their is 4g network it is called  LTE Advanced (Long-term-evolution Advanced)

Only few TELCOS in the world run the system(4g), Just in US AND ASIA.But none in Africa.

GLO is just running  their usual publicity stunt. GLO 3g is the worst in NIGERIA.

Glo launched LTE. According to them it is already in 100 sites in Lagos. Strictly speaking LTE is not a 4G technology, because it does not fully meet the specification for a mobile 4G network. However, ITU has allowed for LTE to be called 4G because it is a forerunner for 4G and will be compatible with the LTE-Advanced which is the true 4G. LTE is also described as a pre-4G or 3.9G. Glo is not the only operator to market LTE as 4G, Verizon in the US calls their LTE network 4G. AT&T will be launching LTE in Q2, 2011 and they still call it 4G. So to be fair Glo is not the only network to brand LTE as 4G.

True 4G, i.e LTE-Advanced is still underdevelopment and is still some months or even years from a commercial launch. So, we need to appreciate the importance of this event. Glo is putting Nigeria in the cutting edge of mobile communication. It may not be perfect but it is a step in the right direction.

However, I share the sentiment of people who are dissatisfied with Glo's deployment of 3.5G which appears to be available in only a few cities with the rest of us managing EDGE (Although I must confess that Glo EDGE appears faster to me than MTN 3G). If Glo EDGE is this good, it blows my mind what Glo 3.5G or even Glo 4G will be like. Glo and other networks must understand that Lagos and maybe PH and FCT are not the only cities in Nigeria. So a launch in Lagos is a launch in Lagos not a launch in Nigeia.

Verizon launched its 4G network in 38 markets in the US simultaneously , putting over a 100 million people in 4G coverage in just one day. Nigerian networks should also do the same. Rather than cheap PR.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by WackyJ1(m): 5:28pm On Jan 12, 2011
May be we should but Glo some slack at least they are taking the first step and acting as the test dummies. If they fail woefully, other networks will learn from them and improve, the better for us
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by flyuche(m): 5:56pm On Jan 12, 2011
passyjango:

, (Although I must confess that Glo EDGE appears faster to me than MTN 3G). If Glo EDGE is this good, it blows my mind what Glo 3.5G or even Glo 4G will be like. Glo and other networks must understand that Lagos and maybe PH and FCT are not the only cities in Nigeria. So a launch in Lagos is a launch in Lagos not a launch in Nigeia.

you don't know what you're talking about. embarassed
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by COMPAQ(m): 6:39pm On Jan 12, 2011
How on earth have you come to the conclusion that Glo Edge is faster than MTN3G!!? have you not been seeing the comments about Glo3G on this thread. Glo3G is so poor, inconsistent and unreliable that it cannot even be said to be better than MTN and Etisalat Edge!! I have both MTN and Glo modems and MTN beats Glo HANDS DOWN!!!! Glo is crap and I hope Etisalat comes out with its 3G (maybe they'll just launch with LTE too!) in a big way to give Glo a run for it's money!!
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by xpress(m): 6:57pm On Jan 12, 2011
abeg no be only lagos and abuja dey naija now, let them spread the network to other states too
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by aieromon(m): 7:11pm On Jan 12, 2011
I posted this topic twice last night and was banned.I thought Swift Networks was the first to launch its 4G service in Nigeria

http://www.nigeriacommunicationsweek.com.ng/details.php?category=ebusiness&id=3594
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by mbulela: 7:13pm On Jan 12, 2011
Globacom said it will launch last mile connectivity for the LTE network in the near future, as soon as 4G-enabled phones and modems are made available in Nigeria
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by passyjango(m): 7:35pm On Jan 12, 2011
COMPAQ:

How on earth have you come to the conclusion that Glo Edge is faster than MTN3G!!? have you not been seeing the comments about Glo3G on this thread. Glo3G is so poor, inconsistent and unreliable that it cannot even be said to be better than MTN and Etisalat Edge!! I have both MTN and Glo modems and MTN beats Glo HANDS DOWN!!!! Glo is crap and I hope Etisalat comes out with its 3G (maybe they'll just launch with LTE too!) in a big way to give Glo a run for it's money!!

It is no secret that Glo has best data services overall. It depends on where you are. Like I said it is from my experience so that should tell you that I use both Glo and MTN (MTN only as a backup if Glo fails). I think what most people are not happy about is that Glo 3G coverage is very lean. Actually am in Enugu with Glo EDGE and MTN 3G, but I prefer Glo EDGE.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by flyuche(m): 8:18pm On Jan 12, 2011
mbulela:

Globacom said it will launch last mile connectivity for the LTE network in the near future, as soon as 4G-enabled phones and modems are made available in Nigeria

that's my point. so they don't have any terminals for customers to try this new network and they call it launch?

aieromon:

I posted this topic twice last night and was banned.I thought Swift Networks was the first to launch its 4G service in Nigeria

http://www.nigeriacommunicationsweek.com.ng/details.php?category=ebusiness&id=3594

swift has 802.16e wimax network like mobitel and recently DOPC. well current ITU definitions embrace it as 4G
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by firestar(f): 8:32pm On Jan 12, 2011
Huh! I think they started already: My modem shows two more colours: turquoise and deep blue in addition to lime green.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by jensinmi(m): 8:46pm On Jan 12, 2011
flyuche:

that's my point. so they don't have any terminals for customers to try this new network and they call it launch?

swift has  802.16e wimax network like  mobitel and recently DOPC. well current ITU definitions embrace it as 4G

@flyuche: Don't mind these foolish people at Glo.

How many users in the U.S.A have 4g phones even?? Apart from the HTC Evo and Samsung Epic, what other 4g phones are there. Even the Iphone 4 is not 4g capable.

They should keep quiet and let us  have rest.

He added that the technology would  further enhance more demanding applications like interactive TV, mobile video blogging, advanced games or professional services, enabling more Nigerians to be on top of their game and thereby[b] ruling their world[/b]”, he added.
Don't they have a marketing department?? How dare they steal Verizon's LTE slogan - RULE YOUR WORLD!!
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by missionma(m): 9:00pm On Jan 12, 2011
I hope it's true, i alway doubt Glo news.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by lumzi23: 9:10pm On Jan 12, 2011
jensinmi:

@flyuche: Don't mind these foolish people at Glo.

How many users in the U.S.A have 4g phones even?? Apart from the HTC Evo and Samsung Epic, what other 4g phones are there. Even the Iphone 4 is not 4g capable.

They should keep quiet and let us  have rest.
Don't they have a marketing department?? How dare they steal Verizon's LTE slogan - RULE YOUR WORLD!!

Um, hasn't Rule Your World been Glo's slogan for like ever?

Anyway, I know I am probably hoping to the wind but I hope Glo gets it right this time.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by deor03(m): 9:59pm On Jan 12, 2011
NCC has not licensed ANY Operator for the 4G Spectrum as at TODAY

How come GLO rolled out 4G without a frequency spectrum ?

This is a Cheap lie
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by emmatok(m): 1:00am On Jan 13, 2011
aieromon:

That swift 4G is on WIMAX and not LTE

They are two diff tech. for example GSM use WCDMA, while CDMA use EVDO and they are both 3g techs.

NCC is yet to issue license to GSM Operators for 4G.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by aieromon(m): 6:32am On Jan 13, 2011
emmatok:

That swift 4G is on WIMAX and not LTE

They are two diff tech. for example GSM use WCDMA, while CDMA use EVDO and they are both 3g techs.

NCC is yet to issue license to GSM Operators for 4G.

Thanks for the clarification.I was refering to the general 4G service.When Swift was test-running its WIMAX service three months ago,nobody celebrated the hype the way GLO is doing.This is some pretty PR stunt.

For the records,GLO already got some ISPs making use of their GLO-1 submarine cable network.One of such ISPs which i was opportuned to make use of gave me a constant speed of 500kb/s via a wireless radio 30miles away.As long as they get their acts right and provide the same quality service to all its subscribers,they should do fine.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by texazzpete(m): 7:21am On Jan 13, 2011
aieromon:

Thanks for the clarification.I was refering to the general 4G service.When Swift was test-running its WIMAX service three months ago,nobody celebrated the hype the way GLO is doing.This is some pretty PR stunt.

Perhaps because companies have been deploying WiMAX in Nigerian cities for years now? Direct on PC has had a WIMAX network in Lagos and Port Harcourt since 2008.

LTE is new and cutting edge. That is all.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by aieromon(m): 7:33am On Jan 13, 2011
texazzpete:

LTE is new and cutting edge. That is all.

Well,i do hope Glo get down to business and wrestle with MTN for a large chunk of the market share.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by guente02(m): 9:13am On Jan 13, 2011
Even the EDGE i dnt have in ma precinct and now they are briefing newsmen about 4G. . . Dem dey try.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by ziccoit: 9:13am On Jan 13, 2011
LTE and WiMAX are [b]not  TRUELY [/b]4G technologies they are rather pre-4G technologies. 4G should be able to deliver a download
speed of 1Gbit/s for a stationary user.Marketing materials use 4G as a description for Mobile-WiMAX and LTE in their current forms.
4G technology is under development and yet to be launched anywhere in the world.

However, current versions of LTE, WiMax and other evolved 3G technologies that do not fulfull 4G requirements could be considered "4G",
provided they represent forerunners to a substantial level of improvement in performance and capabilities with respect to the initial third
generation systems now deployed.

So the glo 4G-LTE is "4G" technology or more appropriately a pre-4G technology. Anyway, glo effort is commendable as the company is
priming the way for more aggressive MTN to scoop the advantage and lanch on consumers at the very base.
Re: *** Glo Launches First 4G-LTE Network In Nigeria! *** by COMPAQ(m): 10:49am On Jan 13, 2011
passyjango:

It is no secret that Glo has best data services overall. It depends on where you are. Like I said it is from my experience so that should tell you that I use both Glo and MTN (MTN only as a backup if Glo fails). I think what most people are not happy about is that Glo 3G coverage is very lean. Actually am in Enugu with Glo EDGE and MTN 3G, but I prefer Glo EDGE.

Well,depends on where u are sha! But i still don't agree with your "its no secret, " I have used both my modems in Lagos, Ibadan and Ph at different times and MTN was still better across board. The only place where I've seen Glo perform at very fast and consistent speeds is in lekki and I'm sure that's because the glo1 landing station is in Lekki. I still find it hard to believe that a Glo edge can be better than a MTN 3G!! Maybe you are browsing with your phone or the mtn signal strangth is very poor where you are.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Let Me Activate Your Zain For:internet,wap & Mms** / Airtel Nigeria Stop The Illegal Deductions From Our Account Balance!!! / User Review Of The Newly Released Infinix Hots X521

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.