Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,843 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. (4355 Views)

Is Web Development The Only Lucrative IT Field In Nigeria? / Is It That There Is Nothing To Code Anymore? / Programming Not Enough Anymore: Data Analysis, Ml And A.i Is The Future. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 4:24pm On May 07, 2020
I just finished learning the basics of programming and I'm at the place where I have to decide which niche to specialize in. So I've been doing a lot of research. I initially considered web development, but my findings are not encouraging.

Web development is not the hot cake anymore. Nowadays, with the availability of templates and CMS like WordPress, websites can be built in a few hours by literally anyone with a little technical skill. It's basically a drag and drop process.

Freelance platforms has been saturated by people charging cheap prices to develop websites. Clients are not willing to pay more and rightly so. It is discouraging and not worth the time and effort needed to learn all the HTML, CSS, JavaScript and the backend. Why waste time and effort when I can just get templates and WordPress, Wix or Joomola.

I think I'll have to consider native mobile development, data visualization and analysis, or enterprise software development.

Do you think I'm wrong? Or do you know any lucrative web development niche? Please let me know in the comments section. Thanks.

Lalasticlala.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Lorazepam(f): 4:28pm On May 07, 2020
Here to learn cool
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 4:32pm On May 07, 2020
Lorazepam:
Here to learn cool
Good.
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by fastseo: 4:33pm On May 07, 2020
If you learn it very well you can develop free templates and distribute it on WordPress why you get a premium version for a fee @ February I paid 49$ for a premium template after making use of their free version

Edited

DanRay1:
Sounds interesting. Instead of developing a site, I like the idea of developing templates and custom plugins. I'll see if that's lucrative.

Am no Web developer but a blogger. Please don't underestimate any ICT stuff you see online. Have never work for anyone before but have mastered the art of blogging over years.

I can't write a single code with out making mistakes while I can read a little but I would have love to learn app or Web development each time I get distracted.

2 Likes

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by ReactJs(m): 4:54pm On May 07, 2020
I just made a topic that’s contrary to what you think. Please read
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by tensazangetsu20(m): 5:17pm On May 07, 2020
Op JavaScript isn't a waste o. It's still the number one needed language in the job market. It's what it is. Besides don't underestimate wordpress. I have seen 50000 dollar wordpress projects on Upwork. One of the top 5 highest earning freelancers on Upwork Ron z is a wordpress developer. He has made over 2 million dollars on the website.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 5:28pm On May 07, 2020
fastseo:
If you learn it very well you can develop free templates and distribute it on WordPress why you get a premium version for a fee
Sounds interesting. Instead of developing a site, I like the idea of developing templates and custom plugins. I'll see if that's lucrative.
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by bet9ja(m): 5:30pm On May 07, 2020
DanRay1:
I just finished learning the basics of programming and I'm at the place where I have to decide which niche to specialize in. So I've been doing a lot of research. I initially considered web development, but my findings are not encouraging.

Web development is not the hot cake anymore. Nowadays, with the availability of templates and CMS like WordPress, websites can be built in a few hours by literally anyone with a little technical skill. It's basically a drag and drop process.

Freelance platforms has been saturated by people charging cheap prices to develop websites. Clients are not willing to pay more and rightly so. It is discouraging and not worth the time and effort needed to learn all the HTML, CSS, JavaScript and the backend. Why waste time and effort when I can just get templates and WordPress, Wix or Joomola.

I think I'll have to consider native mobile development, data visualization and analysis, or enterprise software development.

Do you think I'm wrong? Or do you know any lucrative web development niche? Please let me know in the comments section. Thanks.

It is almost surprising how i see many people downgrading Web development due to the array of CMS you can use to achieve a website. The truth is, many Software development agencies are using WordPress to deliver amazing websites for their clients. Ofcus, you need to advance your skill set if you think that WordPress is fading away.

I have build a website for an agency that charges over 3M for a single website project for a multinational company which was built on WordPress/ custom requirements. The truth is, knowing how to build website with WordPress is not enough. Website Development and Web Application Development are not the same.

If you truly want to understand what a Software Developer does, search for a job post for a Front-end developer and see the job responsibilities/ technology stack required. This will give you a clue of what you want to do, either Front-end or Back-end Developer. By learning your way up, you can earn a reasonable monthly income as a full-time employee/freelancer.

Always remember this: Good developer don't look for Companies to work for, Companies are the one looking for a good developer to work with.

I am a Full Stack developer with 4+ years of Full Time working experience.

Olumide Ayeni

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 5:33pm On May 07, 2020
bet9ja:

It is almost surprising how i see many people downgrading Web development due to the array of CMS you can use to achieve a website. The truth is, many Software development agencies are using WordPress to deliver amazing websites for their clients. Ofcus, you need to advance your skill set if you think that WordPress is fading away.

I have build a website for an agency that charges over 3M for a single website project for a multinational company which was built on WordPress/ custom requirements. The truth is, knowing how to build website with WordPress is not enough. Website Development and Web Application Development are not the same.

If you truly want to understand what a Software Developer does, search for a job requirements of a Front-end developer and see the job responsibilities/ technology stack required. This will give you a clue of what you want to do, either Front-end or Back-end Developer. By learning your way up, you can earn a reasonable monthly income as a full-time employee/freelance.

Always remember this: Good developer don't look for Companies to work for, Companies are the one looking for a good developer to work with.

Olumide Ayeni
www.olumide.co.za
Great. I'll have to do more research.

I have to say, your site is great cool
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by bet9ja(m): 9:25pm On May 07, 2020
DanRay1:
Great. I'll have to do more research.

I have to say, your site is great cool

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 10:50pm On May 07, 2020
bet9ja:

Thank you.

My pleasure.

I think I'm now more interested in mobile app development. What are your thoughts on mobile development based on demand and profitability?
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by GideonG(m): 11:46pm On May 07, 2020
Web development will always be lucrative as long as new startups will spring up.

The only thing More Lucrative is Data science and Artificial Intelligence

The Truth Is That...
Many people will lose their jobs due to automation and the global paradigm shift we are currently experiencing.
Data is the new Crude Oil.
No doubt the demand for Software Development, Data Analysis, Data Science, And Artificial Intelligence is currently hot worldwide and will continue to be hottest after the Coronavirus pandemic.
Even as more companies are laying off staffs, more and more companies are embracing the work from home principle.
That makes skilled individuals have more value to the survival of plenty companies that really want to make profits in harmony with what is prevalent in this decade of technological advancement.
I am Starting A Mentorship on Web Application Development, Data Analysis, Data Science and AI

All You Need Is Passion And Enthusiasm,
Invisible Determination And Positive Energy

Your location doesn't matter, we will run it remotely.

At the end of the pandemic
You should have gained substantial skills to be either of the following
1. Web Application Development
Frontend Developer
Backend Developer
Fullstack Developer
2. Data Science and AI
Python Programmer
Data Analyst
Machine Learning Engineer
Data Scientist
Artificial Intelligence expert

WhatsApp me now, to include you in, because we are actually starting next week.

THESE ARE THE BEST SKILLS TO ACQUIRE RIGHT NOW!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Chuky7(m): 12:15am On May 08, 2020
need more Audience...why does tech stuff hardly make fp
Lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by ReactJs(m): 2:49am On May 08, 2020
Hey guys. I’ve always been reading topics and posts on this section from the sidelines so i thought I’d create an account and contribute a couple of things. This post is aimed at answering a couple of questions as to what programming language you should learn and the mode of learning with the highest ROI.

First things first, i see a lot of guys here that try to discourage newbies from going into web development. It is for this singular reason that i really decided to make this post.

What Language should you begin with?

There is no one correct answer to this question. To be able to make an informed decision in relation to this important question, you need to focus on 2 things. First thing is why you’re thinking of learning to code plus what you intent to do with the language you might end up choosing.
The second thing comes after you’ve answered the first which is the Numbers of the surrounding the language you choose. The numbers of active GitHub repositories and the numbers of remote jobs listing that ‘this’ language has.

WEB, MOBILE or DESKTOP?

If you want to answer this based on the second parameter that we assigned to the “What language should you begin with question” , no other form on programming comes close to web-based programming in numbers(all ramifications ). The web is now very very different what it was 5-10 years ago. Hell! It’s even different from what it was 2 years ago . I know over a lot of guys that are in Europe today through the power of JavaScript! I myself did an interview for a firm in the U.S couple of months ago but i didn’t get the job based on falling off short in some few points that would take me to the final round. I have a couple of tests from 2 firms in Europe that i haven’t taken yet. It’s just there sitting in my mailbox waiting till I’m ready for the assessment. What I’m really trying to say is, the web provides a huge opportunity both local and international if you’re really really good at what you do! As a side note, JavaScript happens to be the language that dominates the web (do with this side-note information what you will )

MODE OF LEARNING?
Again, a lot of guys here tell newbies not to learn from YouTube tutorials. I cringe when i see this and I’ll tell you why .

The best way to learn introductory concepts of programming is YOUTUBE/UDEMY! Eventually if programming is your calling, your instincts will push you to search for more information on the tutorials that you’ve watched which will in turn lead to reading of books and articles. In this way, you’re already Hot for clarity and knowledge which makes reading and assimilation almost seamless.
Do not put the cart before the horse.

I think I’ll stop here for now . If there’s any other thing you’d like me to add let me know in the comments and I’ll respond when i can. Stay safe!

8 Likes

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by RemiAbdulSamad(m): 11:03am On May 09, 2020
You think web development is just all about slapping up website here and there abi. Just search for a web developer position on indeed or other job portal and see the requirements is not just about uploading wordpress site or just building a site. And you need to know that, there is limitation to how you can customize a website on wordpress.

2 Likes

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Anonime1105(m): 11:04am On May 09, 2020
Web development is still as hot as ever, just that it doesn't pay much in Nigeria except you work remotely.

Like the poster above explained JavaScript is still the boss of the web.
You would be surprised at what people earn with Advanced knowledge of JS.

3 Likes

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by bet9ja(m): 12:26pm On May 09, 2020
DanRay1:

My pleasure.

I think I'm now more interested in mobile app development. What are your thoughts on mobile development based on demand and profitability?
You can learn how to develop hybrid mobile app with ionic, flutter or react native, based on which technology you are comfortable with.

You can search for Men Against Rape on Playstore it's my new project.

2 Likes

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 09, 2020
Lol. Oga do the work and leave the long talk
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by bet9ja(m): 12:30pm On May 09, 2020
Anonime1105:
Web development is still as hot as ever, just that it doesn't pay much in Nigeria except you work remotely.

Like the poster above explained JavaScript is still the boss of the web.
You would be surprised at what people earn with Advanced knowledge of JS.
I agree with you. Just got a node.js project from fiverr

1 Like

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 7:21pm On May 09, 2020
bet9ja:
You can learn how to develop hybrid mobile app with ionic, flutter or react native, based on which technology you are comfortable with.

You can search for Men Against Rape on Playstore it's my new project.
I was considering native apps. Specifically Android with java first, and later Kotlin so I can deploy on multiplatforms.
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 7:33pm On May 09, 2020
crownedrookie:
Lol. Oga do the work and leave the long talk
I don't have the time to waste on what's not going to pay big bucks. I need to be sure.
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Barney001: 7:50pm On May 09, 2020
DanRay1:
I just finished learning the [b] basics of programming [/b]and I'm at the place where I have to decide which niche to specialize in. So I've been doing a lot of research. I initially considered web development, but my findings are not encouraging.

Lalasticlala.
Which language did you use to learn programming.
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 7:53pm On May 09, 2020
Barney001:

Which language did you use to learn programming.
JavaScript. Why?
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Barney001: 8:33pm On May 09, 2020
DanRay1:
JavaScript. Why?
Oh I thought you used python...

It seems you're a front end developer....
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by GideonG(m): 8:40pm On May 09, 2020
Barney001:

A JavaScript developer can be both a Frontend Developer and a Backend Developer too.

JavaScript is huge now bro
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 8:43pm On May 09, 2020
Barney001:

No I'm not a developer yet. I'm diving into Android development though. I installed Java, Eclipse IDE and Android studio, today. Ready to roll! Lol.

What about you? What are you up to?
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Barney001: 8:53pm On May 09, 2020
DanRay1:
No I'm not a developer yet. I'm diving into Android development though. I installed Java, Eclipse IDE and Android studio, today. Ready to roll! Lol.

What about you? What are you up to?

Same here too...

But I'm into python tho cool

You know... webscraping,data science....

I'm still thinking whether to go into django... The whole python application stuff is just wide... So I don't have any major for now...
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 9:11pm On May 09, 2020
Barney001:

Same here too...

But I'm into python tho cool

You know... webscraping,data science....

I'm still thinking whether to go into django... The whole python application stuff is just wide... So I don't have any major for now...
Data science is not as easy as it seems. You need a degree to even be considered for employment abroad. Also, it's not just python skills you need. You have to learn Excel, Tableau, SQL etc. And also, a strong mathematics and statistics background. Choose what comes easy to you, not what sounds fancy and trendy, so you don't get frustrated. Life is short.

Django is about backend web development. Anyway, you do you. Lol.

2 Likes

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Barney001: 9:33pm On May 09, 2020
DanRay1:
Data science is not as easy as it seems. You need a degree to even be considered for employment abroad. Also, it's not just python skills you need. You have to learn Excel, Tableau, SQL etc. And also, a strong mathematics and statistics background. Choose what comes easy to you, not what sounds fancy and trendy, so you don't get frustrated. Life is short.

Django is about backend web development. Anyway, you do you. Lol.
You made a lot of sense bro..

Well like I said before... I'm not sure of which one I want to venture in...

Still on python basics....

Maybe when I'm done with that... I'll know which is right for me

You seem to know a lot about data science tho undecided

1 Like

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 9:48pm On May 09, 2020
Barney001:

You made a lot of sense bro..

Well like I said before... I'm not sure of which one I want to venture in...

Still on python basics....

Maybe when I'm done with that... I'll know which is right for me

You seem to know a lot about data science tho undecided
Good. Just do a lot of research online.

I looked into data science too.
Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 09, 2020
bet9ja:

If you truly want to understand what a Software Developer does, search for a job post for a Front-end developer and see the job responsibilities/ technology stack required. This will give you a clue of what you want to do, either Front-end or Back-end Developer. By learning your way up, you can earn a reasonable monthly income as a full-time employee/freelancer.

Olumide Ayeni
www.olumide.co.za

Bro, there's a little mistake in the Make A Difference section in your site. I think you wanted to write "Having worked with", instead of "Haven't worked with".

Great job on the site, though!

1 Like

Re: Web Development Isn't Lucrative Anymore. by DanRay1: 7:40am On May 10, 2020
locust:

Bro, there's a little mistake in the Make A Difference section in your site. I think you wanted to write "Having worked with", instead of "Haven't worked with".

Great job on the site, though!
Good eyes.

Bet9ja do well to correct the error. It's a little dent on your great portfolio.

Locust I see you've decided to suspend betting and do something better for yourself. Well done. How far have you gone in your learning?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Solar App Has Been Launched On Google Play Store / Free Arduino Tutorial / I Will Officially Quit Visiting This Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.