Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People (3373 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People / African Americans - More Accepted By Igbo Or Yoruba Families (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by excanny: 2:49pm On Jan 12, 2011
I am using this medium to express my dissatisfaction over neglect of Igbo Language by our people the Igbos.
In the recent Hausa programme In B.B.C. entitled “TABA I{IDI TABA KARATU” it was announced that Igbo Language is one of the Languages that will soon be forgotten on earth.

Infact, when I heard this, I nearly collapsed because this Hause(sic) BBC programme does not talk cock and bull stories. Whatever it says is always truth. . I have tested them in several occasions and proved their truthfulness.

This information had caused me sleepless night because ,what binds me with other Igbo people in other states will soon be no more.

This should not be taken lightly. Igbo leaders. Should not stand by to wait and see the day this prophecy will come to pass?
When this type of prophecy came to the people of Nineveh in the bible in the book of Jonah their leaders did not waste time or wait until everything spoils. As they say” action speaks louder than Voice”
What the king of Nineveh did was to declare a fasting and the people obeyed him and after the ‘fasting, God withdrew His impending judgment against the land. Most of our people are like the woman who went one day to see her father-in-law, when she saw him, because of shame, she removed the wrapper she was tying and covered her face with it and left the most important private area of her body open.

Like this woman, most of our people place importance on things that are not important. And place less emphasis on what is very important. They want to imitate Oyibo culture but Oyibo is not ready to imitate their culture. They are’ ashamed of their mother tongue that they can speak without any mistake but not ashamed of the Oyibo’ Language they speak ‘With more than ninety-nine grammatical errors.
If you doubt what I am saying, go to where palm-wine is sold in the evening. You will hear some expressions that even the owner of English language has not heard or spoken since he was born.

The cause of all these nonsense is because our people are not patriotic to their culture and language. Go to our neighbouring majority tribes like Yorubas and Hausas their professors prefer speaking their language to English Language.
But the parents of Nursery school children will prefer their children speaking French or German instead of their mother tongue.

As a ‘school proprietor, if l-tell you the response of our school leavers who
Come for employment as teachers towards Igbo language, you will were. A giri in primary six in my school followed her elder sister to her University campus, this happened during our. mid-term break. To this girl’s greatest surprise, She saw that the 1gbo alphabet which is taught in Nursery one and two in our school is what the undergraduants are learning.

Now my question is, what will debar(sic) our Nursery three pupils to become lecturers in Igbo departments in our universities?
When I went to Kano State with my elder brother some years ago, , ,I was forced to learn Hausa language and understand it under six months. These are people who are patriotic over· their language. Even those educated ones, if you speak English language to them, they respond in Hausa language. So no language is greater than another, it depends on how the owners of the language handle it.

Nobody can boast of perfection in Engiish’ language except perhaps, the owners of the language.
What I always do is, what I did not get clear in ‘English language in the B.B.C., V.O.A or Dutch Radio Stations, I quickly run to these stations ‘in their Hausa services and get it c1earer. Many of our Igbo people are like Mr. Bat who is not a bird and not also an animal
Their mother tongue they hate yet English language they do not understand.
This has made many of them political illiterates. B.B.C. broadcass four programmes everyday in Hausa ‘language. V.G.A the same and many other powerful international stations.

So I am calling on the’ Igbo stakeholders to make our people politically informed by rescuing the language. This will be possible by registering it in the powerful international stations like B.B.C . Voice of America, Dutch Radio etc. so that It will be part of their programmes. This will save the language from death and our people will see the superiority of it and make use of it judiciously like our neghbouring majority tribes in this Country Nigeria .

E.A

www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/freekick/2011/jan/12/freekick-12-01-2011-003.htm
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by aljharem2: 2:55pm On Jan 12, 2011
why not make a petition to all SE governors to make igbo language a compulsory subject at primary and secondary level of education
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by excanny: 2:58pm On Jan 12, 2011
I do not think Igbo language can die in Igbo land. Maybe in the diaspora.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Akhenaten: 4:33pm On Jan 12, 2011
excanny:

I do not think Igbo language can die in Igbo land. Maybe in the diaspora.

I think this situation is overblown. Igbo language is alive and well in Alaigbo. However, I see many of the dialect disappearing. I do not know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but focusing on Standardized Igbo is something I support.

Maybe I am a little biased, because Standardized Igbo is based on my Central Igbo dialect, so I should consider myself lucky.

And most people in the East speak Igbo. Now those who live in the Diaspora cannot speak Igbo, so we should be worried about that. However, this is nothing new for immigrant communities. Most descendants of Italians who live in the U.S. cannot speak Italian. The same goes for other immigrant groups.

As long as the people of the South-East speak Igbo, the language will not die.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by dempeople(m): 7:35pm On Jan 12, 2011
Guys, wake up. Asusu Igbo is dying and has constantly been doing so since the end of the civil war. What we all speak now isn't Igbo but EnglIgbo. Even in the east, some Ndigbo who grew up there can't speak the language. Go to Igwe Ocha and you'll see lots of Ndigbo that can't speak it.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ifyalways(f): 9:37pm On Jan 12, 2011
this prophecy failed even b4 it was pronounced . . .cos even if the whole world choose to forget igbo language,me and my generation wud still speak igbo! hope alive~ ndi igbo na asusu igbo e nweghi ogwugwu.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ifyalways(f): 9:40pm On Jan 12, 2011
i agree however that our indigenous languages are going extinct(not just igbo) what are the ways forward?
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Freewilly(f): 6:00am On Jan 13, 2011
I think it will help too if Nollywood would start making movies in Igbo like it used to. My parents have dozens of Old Nigerian movies in Igbo we enjoy watching.

Not only are the entertaining my little sisters pick up Igbo words from them.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by oludashmi(f): 9:00am On Jan 13, 2011
Akhenaten:

I think this situation is overblown. Igbo language is alive and well in Alaigbo. However, I see many of the dialect disappearing. I do not know if that is a good thing or a bad thing, but focusing on Standardized Igbo is something I support.

Maybe I am a little biased, because Standardized Igbo is based on my Central Igbo dialect, so I should consider myself lucky.

And most people in the East speak Igbo. Now those who live in the Diaspora cannot speak Igbo, so we should be worried about that. However, this is nothing new for immigrant communities. Most descendants of Italians who live in the U.S. cannot speak Italian. The same goes for other immigrant groups.

As long as the people of the South-East speak Igbo, the language will not die.
I agree totally with you!
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ifyalways(f): 9:07am On Jan 13, 2011
Honestly excanny which kain style of typing is this?i used my phone to post my earlier replies so i did not detect it.
Its so annoying. angry
NB;my opinion please!
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by excanny: 10:13am On Jan 13, 2011
Freewilly:

I think it will help too if Nollywood would start making movies in Igbo like it used to. My parents have dozens of Old Nigerian movies in Igbo we enjoy watching.

Not only are the entertaining my little sisters pick up Igbo words from them.

Well said, Ada anyi. Igbo movies would make good teaching aids. They should just keep them clean for educational purposes.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by excanny: 10:19am On Jan 13, 2011
ifyalways:

Honestly excanny which kain style of typing is this?i used my phone to post my earlier replies so i did not detect it.
Its so annoying. angry
NB;my opinion please!

Is that your contribution, ifysometimes?

I'll re-edit when I get back to my base.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by aljharem(m): 10:23am On Jan 13, 2011
excanny:

Well said, Ada anyi. Igbo movies would make good teaching aids. They should just keep them clean for educational purposes.

i agree with the movie

but why can't igbo language be a compulsory subject in schools in the east. also, parents should be encouarged to speak igbo to there children

scholarship program for children with good igbo skills should be in place by privte investors

little changes like this will make a big difference wink
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ifyalways(f): 11:52am On Jan 13, 2011
alj harem:

i agree with the movie

[b]but why can't igbo language be a compulsory subject in schools in the east. [/b]also, parents should be encouarged to speak igbo to there children

scholarship program for children with good igbo skills should be in place by privte investors

little changes like this will make a big difference wink
Are u saying its otherwise?
I know as at 6 years ago,1 Nigerian local language is compulsory for every school and for those of us that were born in the east,it became automatically Igbo.One of my cousins born and breed in Jos did write Igbo as against Hausa up there in the north. smiley
excanny:

Is that your contribution, ifysometimes?

I'll re-edit when I get back to my base.
Yes Sir tongue
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by aljharem(m): 12:47pm On Jan 13, 2011
ifyalways:

Are u saying its otherwise?
I know as at 6 years ago,1 Nigerian local language is compulsory for every school and for those of us that were born in the east,it became automatically Igbo.One of my cousins born and breed in Jos did write Igbo as against Hausa up there in the north. smiley

i know 1 language is compulsory in local schools, but private schools niko

also, what about scholarship programs for the best igbo students just like it is done in the north for some students smiley,,, that why the survival of igbo language is ensured wink
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Abagworo(m): 2:02pm On Jan 13, 2011
The standardized Igbo is not dying but the various distinct dialects are dying.Most Igbos can neither speak nor understand their own dialects and some are even unaware of the existence of their dialects.What I see is a future where Igbo will just be one language while some Igbos that dissociated themselves on time will be the only ones retaining their dialects.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by aljharem(m): 2:23pm On Jan 13, 2011
Abagworo:

The standardized Igbo is not dying but the various distinct dialects are dying.Most Igbos can neither speak nor understand their own dialects and some are even unaware of the existence of their dialects.What I see is a future where Igbo will just be one language while some Igbos that dissociated themselves on time will be the only ones retaining their dialects.

then it is better the dialects die so the unity of igbos can be kept
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ifyalways(f): 3:36pm On Jan 13, 2011
alj harem:

i know 1 language is compulsory in local schools, but private schools niko

also, what about scholarship programs for the best igbo students just like it is done in the north for some students smiley,,, that why the survival of igbo language is ensured wink
[b]Onuku Nsugbe,[/b]do they write separate SSCE/WAEC/NECO exams?
1 Nigerian indigenous language is compulsory from Sokoto to Onitsha.
They give scholarships to the best "hausa-language" student in ur village?good for u!
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by aljharem(m): 4:09pm On Jan 13, 2011
ifyalways:

[b]Onuku Nsugbe,[/b]do they write separate SSCE/WAEC/NECO exams?
1 Nigerian indigenous language is compulsory from Sokoto to Onitsha.
They give scholarships to the best "hausa-language" student in your village?good for u!

haba, we dey fight undecided
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Akhenaten: 6:48pm On Jan 13, 2011
Abagworo:

That sounds like music to my ears. Let the dialects die and we can focus on one united Igbo language. What's better is that my dialect will live on, because central Igbo is my Umuahia dialect!
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Obiagu1(m): 8:42pm On Jan 13, 2011
Igbo language can't die in Igboland, my concern is with Igbos in the Diaspora.

I don't know when they will get it, it's easy for a child in the US or the UK to speak Igbo and English fluently when only Igbo is spoken to the child at home and then learn English when they start kindergarten. A child can learn up to 5 languages simultaneously.

It is this attitude; let me give him/her a little background in English so that he/she can cope in school that cause the problem. A child does not need your English background; the child can pick English and its accent effortlessly when he/she starts pre-school.

I know a little girl that grew up in the North; she speaks Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, and English fluently. She learnt Igbo at home (her parents made sure they spoke only Igbo to her at home), she learnt Hausa from her neighbourhood being born in Hausaland, she learnt Yoruba from her best friend/playmate who is Yoruba and she spends a lot of time with her friend in her Yoruba home, and finally learnt English in school (being one of those schools where local languages are forbidden) and she is only 7yrs old!
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by asha80(m): 9:17pm On Jan 13, 2011
Abagworo:

The standardized Igbo is not dying but the various distinct dialects are dying.Most Igbos can neither speak nor understand their own dialects and some are even unaware of the existence of their dialects.What I see is a future where Igbo will just be one language while some[b] Igbos that dissociated themselves on time will be the only ones retaining their dialects.[/b]

that is if those dialects have standardized written forms and not just spoken terms.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by asha80(m): 9:21pm On Jan 13, 2011
Obiagu1:

Igbo language can't die in Igboland, my concern is with Igbos in the Diaspora.

I don't know when they will get it, it's easy for a child in the US or the UK to speak Igbo and English fluently when only Igbo is spoken to the child at home and then learn English when they start kindergarten. A child can learn up to 5 languages simultaneously.

It is this attitude; let me give him/her a little background in English so that he/she can cope in school that cause the problem
. A child does not need your English background; the child can pick English and its accent effortlessly when he/she starts pre-school.

I know a little girl that grew up in the North; she speaks Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, and English fluently. She learnt Igbo at home (her parents made sure they spoke only Igbo to her at home), she learnt Hausa from her neighbourhood being born in Hausaland, she learnt Yoruba from her best friend/playmate who is Yoruba and she spends a lot of time with her friend in her Yoruba home, and finally learnt English in school (being one of those schools where local languages are forbidden) and she is only 7yrs old!

most parents do not get that into their skulls.it has been proven that a child from to 7 years can learn how to speak 3 to 4 languages without confusing one for the other.most igbo guys i know that grew up in the north can speak igbo(spoken at home),hausa (enviroment) and english(school).
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 10:22pm On Jan 13, 2011
Abagworo:

Akhenaten:

That sounds like music to my ears. Let the dialects die and we can focus on one united Igbo language.

Am I the only one who doesn't appreciate the idea/reality of such? undecided
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Akhenaten: 1:26am On Jan 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Am I the only one who doesn't appreciate the idea/reality of such? undecided

It is bound to happen. I find these many dialects as enemies to progress. Standard Igbo should be only spoken. Then we can promote our beautiful language to the world. The various dialects cause confusion.

That is why I admire the Chinese for standardizing their language. There were many dialects to Chinese until the first emperor of China dealt with those dialects. Now the majority of the Chinese speak Mandarin! It is so beautiful. Unity at all cost.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 2:00am On Jan 14, 2011
Akhenaten, from the moment you told me you were pan-Igbo/Africa, I knew this was bound to happen. We'd hit that point where we will, from here on, not see eye to eye. Me, I don't share that 'pan-' ideology. I'm more of a 'co-' person than anything else. I honestly don't believe I must (and there's no way I will) lose my okwu and my identity just for us Igbo to work together, and quite frankly the thought of doing that just doesn't settle with me (to put it mildly), but that's just me.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Akhenaten1: 3:40am On Jan 14, 2011
ChinenyeN, so you don't want to see unified people under a unified language? Why is that if I may ask? I see Igbo unity as beautiful. The sooner we get rid of these dialects, and focus on Standard Igbo (my dialect grin) the better. The time is now to foster Igbo unity. The world is a very small place now, and we have other people to compete against. We don't have compete with other Igbo clans anymore. Our competitors are numerous and we must lose these dialects, which can be considered a clan identity and look towards the wider Igbo. This is for the greater good. One day you will understand.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 4:03am On Jan 14, 2011
Believe me, I understand where you're coming from, but I do not and will not agree with it. I simply don't share those 'pan-' views. Don't get me wrong, I gladly welcome a more cooperative unit, but just not at the expense of my okwu and my identity, ehn-ehn. I take them rather seriously.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Akhenaten1: 4:35am On Jan 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Believe me, I understand where you're coming from, but I do not and will not agree with it. I simply don't share those 'pan-' views. Don't get me wrong, I gladly welcome a more cooperative unit, but just not at the expense of my okwu and my identity, ehn-ehn. I take them rather seriously.

There will come a day, that your lineage will lose its clan identity and join the wider Igbo. Even in Igboland today, many Igbos are mixed with different clans and have no reason to learn a particular dialect. As we march forward to all people speaking Standard Igbo, this will help foster unity. Speaking with one voice and in one language will be a very powerful force. Your identity will be a simple Igbo identity, just like me. I do not care where you come from, I see you as a fellow Igbo brother. Join us on our path towards unity.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 4:48am On Jan 14, 2011
I can easily work alongside you without identifying like (or with) you. That's no problem, but let me not derail this thread any further. So back the issue of Igbo neglect. Enough about all this 'pan-' this, 'unity' that.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by Akhenaten1: 5:09am On Jan 14, 2011
ChinenyeN:

I can easily work alongside you without identifying like (or with) you. That's no problem, but let me not derail this thread any further. So back the issue of Igbo neglect. Enough about all this 'pan-' this, 'unity' that.

You act as if we are different? We share the same culture, customs and language. The only difference between you and I is at the individual level. And what we are discussing is similar to the topic at hand. We are discussing about the neglect of Igbo language by Igbo people. Well let us focus on promoting Standardize Igbo language instead of these silly dialects.
Re: Neglect Of Igbo Language By Igbo People by ChinenyeN(m): 5:42am On Jan 14, 2011
Akhenaten, our views will only polarize more, if we keep this up. Besides, you have plenty of other people willing to work with you on promoting standardized Igbo and building a one-Igbo society. So you all can work together on that, but me, I am just not willing to drop my okwu or my identity for that, if that is the requirement.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ICYMI: Bini, Not Yoruba, Are Original Owners Of Lagos – Ajayi-bembe / Sam Childers, The Machine Gun Preacher / A nairalander Picture at the ongoing Ogun Festival In Ondo Kingdom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.