Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,518 members, 7,830,530 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience (32011 Views)

How To Increase Glo Internet Speed Via APN For Fast And Smooth Browsing / How To Increase MTN Internet Speed Via APN For Fast And Smooth Browsing / No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by kenny160: 3:45pm On May 09, 2020
Check the default apn of that sim
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by apexc2139: 3:45pm On May 09, 2020
[color=#] 2726347[/color]
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by CodeTemplar: 3:46pm On May 09, 2020
OP said it all. One sim was 3G and the other 4G.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 09, 2020
No I don't think so. Maybe it's the phone.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Sixfeetbelle: 3:47pm On May 09, 2020
decatalyst:

Yes it does! Besides, you have gotten your answers from the simple test you did.

If the sim is old, it probably may have lose one of the legs to the chip...sim has 6legs, so the browsing fit slow or messages don't enter or enters lately.

Also, the band of a phone determines the kind of speed you get. If your network provider doesn't give you service on the band ur phone supports, OYO lo wa grin

Shey you remembered the time I was telling you about my 3g sim issue and you were confused about what I was saying? Come and see the explanation here

Cc crackkhaus
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by slinkman(m): 3:50pm On May 09, 2020
Yes it does

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by KrazyDave16(m): 3:54pm On May 09, 2020
dangoteinlaw:
Lies bro its not sim proby its your phony, most phones don't cover a wide range of bands amd thats where top phone brands like iPhone ans Samsung gets it right. Ppl using iPhone don't experience slow network even on Glo meanwhile in that same location some will tell u inside their parlor no network unley dinning room

Exactly!!!

@OP It's the phone having several bands and having several antennas in several parts of the phone plus the modem that's in the chipset.
Also put into consideration that some of these phones supports LTE categories like LTE-A (LTE aggregation) which is the combination of several bands to give you high data speeds and prevent loss of network, hence why the phones mentioned can surf the web with glo whereas some phones will be slower than a snail unless you're within reach of the mast that has the band.

Other factors affect data speeds but SIM cards doesn't determine how fast your network speeds should be
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by crackkhaus: 3:55pm On May 09, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

Shey you remembered the time I was telling you about my 3g sim issue and you were confused about what I was saying? Come and see the explanation here

Cc crackkhaus
Right, so is your SIM old?
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by NaijadrivaCars: 3:57pm On May 09, 2020
EzzyCarter:

Where can one get the settings for this on the phone?

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Sixfeetbelle: 3:58pm On May 09, 2020
crackkhaus:

Right, so is your SIM old?

angry

It was at that time which was why I told you the video call would be slow and all that. But I've upgraded it and it's now in a 4g enabled phone so Internet speed is faster than before.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by martinsaba: 4:02pm On May 09, 2020
SIM card does determine the speed of internet so do phones, you could be using a sim that is only 2 g or 3 g enabled even when you insert it in a 5g phone you will only get what is allowed of it.
decatalyst:

Yes it does! Besides, you have gotten your answers from the simple test you did.

If the sim is old, it probably may have lose one of the legs to the chip...sim has 6legs, so the browsing fit slow or messages don't enter or enters lately.

Also, the band of a phone determines the kind of speed you get. If your network provider doesn't give you service on the band ur phone supports, OYO lo wa grin

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by crackkhaus: 4:03pm On May 09, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

angry

It was at that time which was why I told you the video call would be slow and all that. But I've upgraded it and it's now in a 4g enabled phone so Internet speed is faster than before.
Okay ma
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Starberg(m): 4:04pm On May 09, 2020
We think so... I rock Airtel bye bye to other network.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Sixfeetbelle: 4:06pm On May 09, 2020
crackkhaus:

Okay ma

Mtchewww angry
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by crackkhaus: 4:07pm On May 09, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

Mtchewww angry
I miss you too

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by apexc6950: 4:16pm On May 09, 2020
[color=#] 4984812[/color]
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by apexc6950: 4:16pm On May 09, 2020
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by decatalyst(m): 4:21pm On May 09, 2020
edoairways:

Which brand of phone supports fast 4g speed?

Almost all Samsung phones supports all bands of network.

iPhone supports all. That's why I have respect for the phone. The support of all bands and security authentication level makes it stand out. But I am still not going to buy it! grin I think it is overpriced wink

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by dangoteinlaw: 4:24pm On May 09, 2020
KrazyDave16:

Exactly!!!

@OP It's the phone having several bands and having several antennas in several parts of the phone plus the modem that's in the chipset.
Also put into consideration that some of these phones supports LTE categories like LTE-A (LTE aggregation) which is the combination of several bands to give you high data speeds and prevent loss of network, hence why the phones mentioned can surf the web with glo whereas some phones will be slower than a snail unless you're within reach of the mast that has the band.

Other factors affect data speeds but SIM cards doesn't determine how fast your network speeds should be
to further buttress your point if sim supported network speed Airtel would have had all their customers get a new sim but instead they only insist you only get a 4g enabled smartphone and that was it. Mtn selling new 5g sims was just to boost their customer base and offcourse make more money from sim sales
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by edoairways: 4:27pm On May 09, 2020
decatalyst:

Almost all Samsung phones supports all bands of network.

iPhone supports all. That's why I have respect for the phone. The support of all bands and security authentication level makes it stand out. But I am still not going to buy it! grin I think it is overpriced wink
Why na ? Which do you suggest I get?
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by apexc9454: 4:28pm On May 09, 2020
[color=#] 3280284[/color]
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by decatalyst(m): 4:30pm On May 09, 2020
edoairways:

Why na ? Which do you suggest I get?

The likes of tecno and infinix ain't bad. Just try to know the kind of BAND your network provider use. You can also know this on your current phone by going to Signal information on the phone wink
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by KrazyDave16(m): 4:43pm On May 09, 2020
dangoteinlaw:
to further buttress your point if sim supported network speed Airtel would have had all their customers get a new sim but instead they only insist you only get a 4g enabled smartphone and that was it. Mtn selling new 5g sims was just to boost their customer base and offcourse make more money from sim sales

But most people don't know that there IS no need to get a SIM card for 4G, just a decent phone that supports 4G, they didn't know that their SIM cards already got identifiers i.e. it's already got them bands, waiting to be activated in scenarios like changing regions/location.

4G was easy to get and use, even with old SIM but like you said @bolded, it's all for the money

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by EzzyCarter: 5:01pm On May 09, 2020
[quote author=NaijadrivaCars post=89361461][/quote]

Oh. Okay. Thanks a bunch smiley
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by oludav(m): 5:05pm On May 09, 2020
dancok yea, off course,even there is GPRS sim of old.,it can't fit in to the lastest phone now ,it will not only slow but never move. Serious!
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by xjiggy: 5:07pm On May 09, 2020
Even our 4G na 2G jare.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by classicfrank4u(m): 5:08pm On May 09, 2020
paul100:
My own is does phone help your internet speed.
Like something using a 4gsim in an itel phone and someone using the same 4g sim in maybe samsung,iPhone and the likes.Will the speed be the same.
It depends... If the itel is 4g enabled it will be fast too... But never thesame with an iPhone or Samsung
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Wilsonbet1991(m): 5:10pm On May 09, 2020
Make I ansa the op
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by paul100(m): 5:11pm On May 09, 2020
classicfrank4u:

It depends... If the itel is 4g enabled it will be fast too... But never thesame with an iPhone or Samsung
Ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

American Lady Finds Her Missing Phone In Ghana: Video / How To Tap Someone's Call / Different People And Their Status Updates On WhatsApp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.