Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,724 members, 7,813,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience (31936 Views)

Does Phone Brand Determine The Amount Of Data It Consumes? / How To Increase MTN Internet Speed Via APN For Fast And Smooth Browsing / No More Poor Network As Nigerians Introduces New "Super SIM Card" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Offpoint: 7:27am On May 09, 2020
My phone was stolen during the lock down period, so I lost my both sims MTN&Glo. I couldn't retrieved, nor get a temporal sim due to the lockdown.
So I sorted myself out by borrowing unused sim from my neighbour just to stay online.
Bought a temporal used phone, still in good shape. Realized the internet speed has been extremely slow, though I'm using Glo... I've never had a problem with their speed cuz it's quite OK in my area.
But it sims this guy sim card is cursed with SLOWNESS, I realize it's 3G sim cuz I tried using it on my 4G lite Mifi and 4G option isnt there.
Even at 3G I should get a good speed like before, but the case is different with the sim.

Yesterday I decided to go out and get a new sim since the partial easing of the lockdown. Got a 4G lite sim, registered and start using it an hour later.
Meen the difference was CLEARED the speed was amazing, even though the phone is 3G phone. I became curious why is the other sim speed that poor? I switched the data to that sim... Speed is still as poor as anything.

This brought my curiosity here... Do Sim Cards determine Internet speed in such a way?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by decatalyst(m): 7:56am On May 09, 2020
Offpoint:
My phone was stolen during the lock down period, so I lost my both sims MTN&Glo. I couldn't retrieved, nor get a temporal sim due to the lockdown.
So I sorted myself out by borrowing unused sim from my neighbour just to stay online.
Bought a temporal used phone, still in good shape. Realized the internet speed has been extremely slow, though I'm using Glo... I've never had a problem with their speed cuz it's quite OK in my area.
But it sims this guy sim card is cursed with SLOWNESS, I realize it's 3G sim cuz I tried using it on my 4G lite Mifi and 4G option isnt there.
Even at 3G I should get a good speed like before, but the case is different with the sim.

Yesterday I decided to go out and get a new sim since the partial easing of the lockdown. Got a 4G lite sim, registered and start using it an hour later.
Meen the difference was CLEARED the speed was amazing, even though the phone is 3G phone. I became curious why is the other sim speed that poor? I switched the data to that sim... Speed is still as poor as anything.

This brought my curiosity here... Do Sim Cards determine Internet speed in such a way?

Yes it does! Besides, you have gotten your answers from the simple test you did.

If the sim is old, it probably may have lose one of the legs to the chip...sim has 6legs, so the browsing fit slow or messages don't enter or enters lately.

Also, the band of a phone determines the kind of speed you get. If your network provider doesn't give you service on the band ur phone supports, OYO lo wa grin

Just to add, upgrading your sim to 4G is also one of the best way to enjoy maximum tasks your phone can deliver in terms of internet connectivity. However, if the base station serving you isn't configured for 4G, you will be limited...in this regard. All the same, it is advisable to upgrade your sim as soon as new sim technology is available.

Fantastic to always change your sim every 3/5years, to a new sim plastic, especially if you are fond of removing and inserting your sim into another phone all of the time wink

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Offpoint: 8:09am On May 09, 2020
decatalyst:

Yes it does! Besides, you have gotten your answers from the simple test you did.

If the sim is old, it probably may have lose one of the legs to the chip...sim has 6legs, so the browsing fit slow or messages don't enter or enters lately.

Also, the band of a phone determines the kind of speed you get. If your network provider doesn't give you service on the band ur phone supports, OYO lo wa grin
grin nothing do him legs o. Dey sim still dey new, maybe na Corona Virus catch am cuz dey sim dey cough dry coughgrin

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Nobody: 12:45pm On May 09, 2020
yea, off course,even there is GPRS sim of old.,it can't fit in to the lastest phone now ,it will not only slow but never move.

2 Likes

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by dominique(f): 3:11pm On May 09, 2020
Yes I believe it does

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by overseer1(m): 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
Definitely

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by ForeThinker: 3:13pm On May 09, 2020

The SIM card does not play a role in speed limiting. It is however used for authentication to the 2G, 3G/LTE network. If you have an LTE phone with and old SIM only supporting 2G authentication you will not achieve LTE speeds.

Generally your SIM card doesn't directly affect how well your cellphone can pick up a signal, but a bad SIM card might prevent you from connecting to the network at all. If you have certain SIM cards, you may not be able to connect to all the services your carrier offers.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
R
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by gamapoy539: 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
fc

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by iCauseTrouble: 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
Why not call Glo customer care and ask.
I work with Indaboski Telecoms grin

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by socialmediaman: 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
OP this really depends, technically there’s not really a 3G or 4G SIM though a service provider can brand it so if they want, but on a basic level your type of phone (3G or 4G capable), the service provider cellular tower (3G or 4G mast), the strength of your reception (signal strength), and the congestion of network users in your area are the major factors that should affect the speed of your internet connection, but since the network providers are able to limit internet connection based on a number of factors and for a number of reasons (such as limiting speed of old inactive SIMs to encourage you to purchase a new SIM), then what you described is possible.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by YourNextLevel(m): 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
Yes

For instance 3G cannot give you 4G speed even though your using 4G or LTE handset and lives near the network mask

7 Likes

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Kennyfancy(m): 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
Yes
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by KehindeDare(m): 3:13pm On May 09, 2020
Yes... Some Sims are 4G while some are not.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by BigTableShaker(f): 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
Yes o
Those 4g Sims are better than the old Sims.
And the incomin 5G sim will be madder than all of em
Imagine a phone counting you straffing rate?!
That's mad.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by apesinola001: 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
Here to learn

2 Likes

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by calddon(m): 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
A number of factors can contribute to your problem of slow internet connection

1. Not all sim cards support 4g which unlocks network speed on glo, anything below crawls

2. Not all phone supports 4g network

3. Not all 4g capable devices support network bands that glo 4g runs on

...and @op, its 4g 'LTE' not 4g 'lite'

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Happyguy201: 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
This is irrelevant
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by themonk(m): 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
Older SIM cards support only technologies of it’s day. Newer SIM cards are more improved and compactible with the most recent tech so Yes, SIM cards affect the speed of your internet connection.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Roon9(m): 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
Aha! Jesus Christ!
No this not on front-page shocked

Seriously OP, of all factors sim card? Really

The guy above is correct but I doubt that was what op meant.

Call for a decent solar plan for your home and businesses comprising a 1kva luminous inverter, 200AH battery and 4*150W solar module for up to 18hrs uninterrupted power supply daily. All for just #315,000
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by Slawormir: 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr
Hell no

Bros op niggarrr is not a real niggarrr at all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by ORACLE1975(m): 3:14pm On May 09, 2020
Yes
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by schurley(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
Lemme book space cool cool

Here to learn
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by bigt2(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
Yes
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by MrDoGood(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
4G sim are always faster.

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by ForeThinker: 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
Card Condition

As a SIM card ages and is transferred between cellphones, it can become corroded or damaged, which can have an impact on the phone's ability to transmit data to the provider's network. However, a damaged or corroded SIM card has no influence on the phone's ability to send and receive signals
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by NaijadrivaCars: 3:15pm On May 09, 2020

Apart from the network of the SIM you have, I know that the configuration of phone (processor speed and type, RAM etc) affects speed of internet browsing. Also, settings of the data matter.
A phone with octacore snapdragon processor, 4GB RAM and 16GB ROM will be faster than another with Mediatek, 512GB SIM and 4GB ROM. So, compare your old and new phone and see which has better configuration.

I discovered that if I type in "default,dunl" on my MTN data SIM, it browses faster than when it is on "default, supl".

But if that your SIM is GLO, I rest my case.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by damosade(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
Yes of course, that us why service provider tells us to upgrade sims to 4G.. Prepare for your 5G sim.
Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by muykem: 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
Yes. You are just waking up. No wonder you have been missing FTC.

1 Like

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by sylve11: 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
Nor be every thread them supposed comment on. undecided cool

2 Likes

Re: Does Sim Card Determine Internet Speed? My Experience by d33types: 3:15pm On May 09, 2020
well, there are 32k, 64k and 128k sims with different data capabilities. Check the bottom of the sim cards for these numbers

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Did You Buy Your First Sim Card. / Comparison Thread: OPPO Reno2 Vs Apple Iphone 11 / How MTN, Airtel & 9mobile Celebrated Valentine's Day (Funny Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.