Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,456 members, 7,861,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:33 AM

Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (26289 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor / Bini Are Original Owners Of Lagos, Not Yoruba – Layi Ajayi-Bembe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Yujin(m): 5:52pm On Jul 11, 2020
TAO11:

"History of Dahomey" by the European slave trader Archibald Dalzel who lived in Dahomey in the 1700s recounts Oyo's ascendancy over Dahomey and others.

Attached below are some interesting screenshots from the work.

Cheers!
cc: Trinitykey
How does this prove Oyo was an empire? I'm aware of this history where the Oyo kingdom at its height forced Abomey to pay tributes. This lasted for about 40years until a new Fon King emerged and called off the bluff of Oyo. That was the genesis of the famous dahomean amazons. Oyo no doubt was great but it never grew to become an empire. The distinctive features of an empire is having a number of diverse nations under the control and use of their conquerors. Oyo was not so. If there's any description of Oyo's political domination of numerous nations incorporating them into the organisation of her political stratagem, state it here and I'll apologise and keep shut.
There are reasons why some strong kingdoms who's army defeated numerous of their neighbours and collect tribute from these defeated nations are not classified as empires. Find out about what I said then you'll understand why Oyo was never an empire despite it's successful stint among few small tribes around her.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Yujin(m): 6:40pm On Jul 11, 2020
TAO11:

I have to be very frank with you fam, two things become very obvious from your comments:

A deep-rooted ignorance spiced with an over-arching self-consuming hatred.

But in case you wish to be enlightened, then consider the following simple and straightforward information:

(1) The Ijebu defensive wall system (The Sungbo Eredo) dates to centuries earlier than the Benin defensive wall system (The Iya).

So, if you choose to insist on the weird idea that one group influenced the other, then you should at least be consistent enough to say that the Ijebus influenced the Binis (at least in this specific sphere of architecture).

(2) Moreover, defensive wall systems are found all over Yorubaland in pre-colonial times, and some of these are observed and documented by Captain Clapperton and Richard Lander during their travels through Yorubaland in the 1800s.

Mary Ann Barber's "Oshielle, Or, Village Life in the Yoruba Country (1857)", also contains some descriptions of "The polished walls ... [which] shine ... "like the rain clouds, beautifully black,"".

BTW: The general Yoruba words for "town-wall" are "Odi" or "Ìyàrà".
Read my friend! Read!

Cheers!
Lol. I'm not in ignorant man on the history of West Africa and certainly not not foolish to have a hatred of a history that doesn't concern or affect me.
With regards to the Sungbo Eredo moats, even the name gives a hint. Moats are quite different from walls. Kingdoms can afford to build walls as can be seen in other Yoruba and Hausa kingdoms.
The question any intelligent man will ask is for what purpose was the moat built in Ijebuland? Who was the greatest threat that the Ijebus faced to have built the moat? No Kingdom builds a moat of such magnitude just for normal security. It is an empire styled construction that requires thousands of dedicated workers (slaves from vassals) to build. Even Ife can't boast of such. Only Benin or another empire that preceded it could have built such. The 'bilikisu' story is just funny and a clear case of a concocted fairytale. What does 'eredo' mean in Ijebu dialect?
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO12: 10:40pm On Jul 11, 2020
Yujin:

How does this prove Oyo was an empire? I'm aware of this history where the Oyo kingdom at its height forced Abomey to pay tributes. This lasted for about 40years until a new Fon King emerged and called off the bluff of Oyo. That was the genesis of the famous dahomean amazons. Oyo no doubt was great but it never grew to become an empire. The distinctive features of an empire is having a number of diverse nations under the control and use of their conquerors. Oyo was not so. If there's any description of Oyo's political domination of numerous nations incorporating them into the organisation of her political stratagem, state it here and I'll apologise and keep shut.
There are reasons why some strong kingdoms who's army defeated numerous of their neighbours and collect tribute from these defeated nations are not classified as empires. Find out about what I said then you'll understand why Oyo was never an empire despite it's successful stint among few small tribes around her.

See attached for my reply.

Spam bot triggers wouldn't allow me type them in here so I resorted to attaching them as screenshot with one of my other accounts.

Cheers!

**The first reference to Archibald Dalzel below is from page 183.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Trinitykey: 10:46pm On Jul 11, 2020
Yujin:

Lasted for 40yrs? you are sick man..Dahomean kingdom,abomey had been part of Oyo empire even to upper voltariver in ghana axis prior to the war they had with Dahomey, due to acquisition of fire harms by the dahomeans from the european merchants, they thought they could resist and secede from OYO empire but Oyo is just too much for them to handle...Fon people are even related to us ...
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by OmoOlofin: 4:33am On Jul 12, 2020
Yujin:

Lol. I'm not in ignorant man on the history of West Africa and certainly not not foolish to have a hatred of a history that doesn't concern or affect me.
With regards to the Sungbo Eredo moats, even the name gives a hint. Moats are quite different from walls. Kingdoms can afford to build walls as can be seen in other Yoruba and Hausa kingdoms.
The question any intelligent man will ask is for what purpose was the moat built in Ijebuland? Who was the greatest threat that the Ijebus faced to have built the moat? No Kingdom builds a moat of such magnitude just for normal security. It is an empire styled construction that requires thousands of dedicated workers (slaves from vassals) to build. Even Ife can't boast of such. Only Benin or another empire that preceded it could have built such. The 'bilikisu' story is just funny and a clear case of a concocted fairytale. What does 'eredo' mean in Ijebu dialect?

See attached for my reply. Spambot triggers did it again.

Cheers!

**William H. Clarke is American.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 2:32pm On Jul 14, 2020
Yujin:

See how Yoruba people lie up and down. I've challenged your people to bring proofs of the so called Oyo empire as written by European explorers but non of them showed face. All that's written about the non-existed empire was concocted by Yoruba scholars just to promote your people. Firstly, you never conquered nupe nor the Fons. At present I don't know about the Borgus but I'll research about them soon.
How can Yorubas claim that Oyo was an empire when a huge chunk of other Yoruba clans were under the Benin empire. Were the Ondos and Ekitis not under the political influence of Benin? Was Oyo ever politically known in Ondo or even Ijebu? Does the moat in Ijebuland not tell you that they once were affiliated with the Binis? Only the Binis in the whole of Nigeria were known for constructing moats for defensive purpose. That one is found in Ijebuland shows the Binis once had some activity over there. This makes it easier yo understand how the Binis got to Lagos. Yorubas never had kings with the title of Oba but after they heard about the title of the Benin King, they had to copy the title and are even trying to claim it at present.
If you don't want me to release more missiles on your empty head, desist from calling Igbos in your discussion on this thread. If you persist, I'll return with bigger guns.

Lol he will be thinking you are edo, if not for the last statement.... Lol but everything you said there is blunt truth

I will add to what you said on the oba issue

Yes is the truth the oba of benin didnt come from Yoruba from my research i carried out the benin had told the Europeans in 1480 that they originated fron the middle belt no wonder some middle belts are still very diabolic the truth had some weight unlike the connection that trace it origin to yoruba
In 1820 a white British commander in lagos visited the oba he was an ethnographer he visited the then disposed oba, oba ovaramen who told the white British man that the obaship was established by a whiteman probably a whitegod who had criped into the palace unnoticed and slept with ogiso daughters, who got pregnant and birthed the obaship dynasty, oba eweka 11 after his ascension in 1914 made some unfounded statements for diplomatic reasons linking the benin dynasty to ife, purposely making the statement in the open, but the statement remained diplomatic then with no historical connection, but trust the yoruba community, they began bringing the controversy into life then more controversies came in to tackle the other controversies brought by the yorubas by the benins , after oba eweka death is son oba akenzua brought his own version to tackle the yoruba rising ascertion claiming the throne, this time he rewrote his father diplomatic remarks on benin-ife connection and wrote it in a way to favour the ife origin from benin, because historian had infringed on his father's statement and the benin people didnt like it, after the death of akenzua, Ereduwa the son of the previous oba before rewrote his fathers story linking it to an acient benin story of ekaladeran to spice the benin narrative up to support the ife origin from benin, to what we have today
The truth is if you go through the European documents of benin origin it always traced it to the middle belt and there was never a time it was accorded to yoruba or even the dynastic origin, yorubas in benin history were regarded as slaves
And less human, there was never a benin-ife or benin-oyo father and son connection. as a matter of fact benin displaced oyo invading soldiers on ekiti during the ekiti kparakpo, until oba eweka11 made those statement it was never in existence European traded with benins for 500yrs and they never documented any benin subjugation or homage to another king, what we had in history the Europeans documented was benin influence on yorubas state

Again ogiso(sky kings) in benin history never existed it was told by the royalty to make the benin royalty Divine, the obaship was the benin title of kingship
oba ewuare the first benin warrior king had expanded the empire from benin in early 1400 to yoruba and igbo areas and placed his stool over the areas, the name benin was called and given by the Itsekiris to the edo people when the Portuguese inquired the information of thier overlord they describe the edo people as land of vexation to the Portuguese warning them not to step to benin or they will be killed

If you need all proves dont be afraid to stage me here openly

Even foreign historians of today disprove benin history to ife and find it fishy and even disprove his artwork to ife some even believe ife people didnt make the artworks

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by OmoOlofin: 3:52pm On Jul 14, 2020
According to Roupell's Officials in the year 1897:

The Benin Kingdom was said --- by Benin chiefs and priests whom Roupell interviewed --- to have been established by an Ife-Yoruba man.

Reference: Captain Ernest Roupell (1897), cited in H. Ling Roth (1903), p.7.

cc: Trinitykey, Yujin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by OmoOlofin: 4:31pm On Jul 14, 2020
Quoting from the foremost authority on precolonial Benin history, Professor D.M. Bondarenko. He writes and I quote here:

"In terms of this, it is remarkable that Oba, Benin Second dynasty rulers' title, is also the generic notion for designating supreme rulers' titles all over Yorubaland (for example, "Ooni is Oba of Ife" or "the Oba of Oyo is Alaafin" ).

In the meantime, none of the Edo-speaking peoples' rulers is called so except that of Bini*. ... Only the Benin rulers could correspond to the Yoruba "standard" in the Edo-speaking world, where other rulers governed societies whose complexity did not exceed the chiefdom level.

However, it looks unreasonable to reject the notion that the very title of Oba could appear in Benin due only to Yoruba origin of its holders.

At the same time, it is known that the Yoruba did not influence the political systems of other Edo-speaking peoples, that is, peoples whose rulers are not called Oba.

... Historically, ethnographic sources and European writings of the early and mid-sixteenth century (based on relations from Benin of the late fifteenth century) and of the early seventeenth century, also testify to the Second Benin Dynasty's links with Ife."

Reference: Dmitri M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa, Vol. 30 (2003), p.71.
In addition to the foregoing quotation, I would add that, the etymological origin of the Yoruba word "Oba" is from the Yoruba root-word "Ba" which clearly means: "[to] reign-supreme". And in that case, the word "Oba" becomes "the one who reigns-supreme". This is neat and straightforward.

An Edo bigot, on the other hand, would pretend that the word "Oba" is indigenously thiers. This argument, however, encounters an etymological breakdown as the only Edo root-word they may adduce have absolutely nothing to do with "kingship", "rulership", or "monarchy". The Edo root-word "Bà" means "red", "shine". grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by OmoOlofin: 9:01pm On Jul 14, 2020
According to the weak Edo slave above:
In 1820 a white British commander in lagos visited the oba he was an ethnographer he visited the then disposed oba, oba ovaramen who told the white British man that the obaship was established by a whiteman probably a whitegod

However, Oba Ovoranmwen wasn't born until the year 1857, and he didn't become Oba until the year 1888.

But miraculously, he had been chatting with a certain bRiTiSh CoMmAnDeR since the year 1820. Is God not wonderful?? grin

[I have a screenshot already in case you're thinking of editing your comment]

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by MetaPhysical: 4:53am On Jul 15, 2020
OmoOlofin:
Quoting from the foremost authority on precolonial Benin history, Professor D.M. Bondarenko. He writes and I quote here:

"In terms of this, it is remarkable that Oba, Benin Second dynasty rulers' title, is also the generic notion for designating supreme rulers' titles all over Yorubaland (for example, "Ooni is Oba of Ife" or "the Oba of Oyo is Alaafin" ).

In the meantime, none of the Edo-speaking peoples' rulers is called so except that of Bini*. ... Only the Benin rulers could correspond to the Yoruba "standard" in the Edo-speaking world, where other rulers governed societies whose complexity did not exceed the chiefdom level.

However, it looks unreasonable to reject the notion that the very title of Oba could appear in Benin due only to Yoruba origin of its holders.

At the same time, it is known that the Yoruba did not influence the political systems of other Edo-speaking peoples, that is, peoples whose rulers are not called Oba.

... Historically, ethnographic sources and European writings of the early and mid-sixteenth century (based on relations from Benin of the late fifteenth century) and of the early seventeenth century, also testify to the Second Benin Dynasty's links with Ife."

Reference: Dmitri M. Bondarenko, "Advent of the Second (Oba) Dynasty: Another Assessment of a Benin History Key Point", History in Africa, Vol. 30 (2003), p.71.
In addition to the foregoing quotation, I would add that, the etymological origin of the Yoruba word "Oba" is from the Yoruba root-word "Ba" which clearly means: "[to] reign-supreme". And in that case, the word "Oba" becomes "the one who reigns-supreme". This is neat and straightforward.

An Edo bigot, on the other hand, would pretend that the word "Oba" is indigenously thiers. This argument, however, encounters an etymological breakdown as the only Edo root-word they may adduce have absolutely nothing to do with "kingship", "rulership", or "monarchy". The Edo root-word "Bà" means "red", "shine" . grin

This is what Olfert Dapper, the European agbero that never left Denmark, referred when he said he "saw" the walls of Benin shine like mirror after its washed. mmmtccheeew......

Hold on, do they have OBA...or OMO N'Oba?
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by MetaPhysical: 4:55am On Jul 15, 2020
In 1820 a white British commander in lagos visited the oba he was an ethnographer he visited the then disposed oba, oba ovaramen who told the white British man that the obaship was established by a whiteman probably a whitegod who had criped into the palace unnoticed and slept with ogiso daughters, who got pregnant and birthed the obaship dynasty, oba eweka 11 after his ascension in 1914 made some unfounded statements for diplomatic reasons linking the benin dynasty to ife, purposely making the statem...

Call the police...this guy is high! grin

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 11:10am On Jul 15, 2020
OmoOlofin:

The Benin Kingdom was said --- by Benin chiefs and priests whom Roupell interviewed --- to have been established by an Ife-Yoruba man.

Make a screenshot for us please my yoruba attache brother
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 11:13am On Jul 15, 2020
OmoOlofin:

An Edo bigot, on the other hand, would pretend that the word "Oba" is indigenously thiers. This argument, however, encounters an etymological breakdown as the only Edo root-word they may adduce have absolutely nothing to do with "kingship", "rulership", or "monarchy". The Edo root-word "Bà" means "red", "shine". grin

Benin Attache so the coward tribe yoruba repulsed you too so much you just want to make the oba of benin yoruba to hide the shame we colonised you all
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Yujin(m): 11:32am On Jul 15, 2020
OmoOlofin:

I'll respond to all the replies you made after I've checked those links.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by Yujin(m): 11:36am On Jul 15, 2020
OmoOlofin:

See attached for my reply. Spambot triggers did it again.

Cheers!

**William H. Clarke is American.
Will respond to this accordingly too.
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 3:57pm On Jul 15, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]Make a screenshot for us please my yoruba attache brother[/s]
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 3:58pm On Jul 15, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]Benin Attache so the coward tribe yoruba repulsed you to or do you just want to make the oba of benin yoruba to hide the shame we colonised you all[/s]
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 4:04pm On Jul 15, 2020
Yujin:
I'll respond to all the replies you made after I've checked those links.

Yujin:
Will respond to this accordingly too.

Please do. I'm excited to keep acquainting you with historical information. See you.

Cheers!
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 9:30pm On Jul 15, 2020
Yujin:

Lol. So it was the Portuguese that brought the binis to Lagos? What century was that and where was the so called Oyo empire when the Binis ruled over the aworis?

Dont mind him he is fooling himself only if he reads, or visited our previous thread were a benin guy Etinosa1234 disgraced TAO11 to stupor on lagos history he will not mention that Portuguese brought benins to lagos by thier ship, that boy is just a "Yoruba must defendi", a must defender for the yoruba but TAO11 has been the best i have seen so far, she can tell him d disgrace she had recieved on her various petty lies in an act to defend her coward tribe called yoruba
She had read all benin history just to spite us and even to get points to argue oba of benin came from ife, but she found none, her desperation is not of this world she simply hate the benins soley because benins everytime laid claim to lagos her hometown, from there she developed hatred to spite we edos, but it has consumed her so much that she had read all our history back to back and found nothing
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 10:14pm On Jul 15, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]Dont mind him he is fooling himself only if he reads, or visited our previous thread were a benin guy Etinosa1234 disgraced TAO11 to stupor on lagos history he will not mention that Portuguese brought benins to lagos by thier ship, that boy is just a "Yoruba must defendi", a must defender for the yoruba but TAO11 has been the best i have seen so far, she can tell him d disgrace she had recieved on her various petty lies in an act to defend her coward tribe called yoruba She had read all benin history just to spite us and even to get points to argue oba of benin came from ife, but she found none, her desperation is not of this world she simply hate the benins soley because benins everytime laid claim to lagos her hometown, from there she developed hatred to spite we edos, but it has consumed her so much that she had read all our history back to back and found nothing[/s]
cc: Yujin

Gayboy, your so-called "our previous thread" is this same thread. grin

Notice how your coward slave, Etinosa was rubbished and caused to run for dear life:

https://www.nairaland.com/5846195/benins-owners-ogboni-confraternity-olokun/22#90642651

3 Likes

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 11:23pm On Jul 15, 2020
OmoOlofin:
According to the weak Edo slave above:

However, Oba Ovoranmwen wasn't born until the year 1857, and he didn't become Oba until the year 1888.

But miraculously, he had been chatting with a certain bRiTiSh CoMmAnDeR since the year 1820. Is God not wonderful?? grin

[I have a screenshot already in case you're thinking of editing your comment]

So what changed, since u corrected the error,
If it was oba ovaramen cant u use your head and accord it to the correct one,

..... You want to force our oba to be of yoruba ancestory to make up for your coward ancestor... Lol in so doing you have lost yourself, while i particpate in various thread politics, romance, culture, you only participate in culture and restricted your self to that pertaining to benin....

You have consumed yourself with self benin hate i decide to write ovaramen in that statement because it was all a bait to fish you out, to talk instead of giving strokes

After am done with you on nairaland you will have nothing to leave for than to only commit suicide cowardly like your ancestors awolowo and Afonja
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 11:28pm On Jul 15, 2020
MetaPhysical:

Call the police...this guy is high! grin

Mugu show mw how our oba is of benin ancestory i made that statement that way to fish yoyr runaway sister

Show me if there was benin-ife connection like me pour all my evidence here to disgrace you and your people

If you dare me, i will create a series thread every week with evidence to disgrace you and the entire yoruba for lying our king is yoruba

Eweka made those controversial statements for diplomatic purposes it has no historical bases

Please don't push me
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 11:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
TAO11:

Gayboy, your so-called "our previous thread" is this same thread. grin

Notice how your coward slave, Etinosa was rubbished and caused to run for dear life:

https://www.nairaland.com/5846195/benins-owners-ogboni-confraternity-olokun/22#90642651

You not even ashamed you will rather sun your dirty linen in the open to avoid a bigger mess,

He flawed you am not saying just to spite you but he did you had to result to a Yoruba article and held on to it like your bf dick
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 11:36pm On Jul 15, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]You not even ashamed you will rather sun your dirty linen in the open to avoid a bigger mess, He flawed you am not saying just to spite you but he did you had to result to a Yoruba article and held on to it like your bf dick[/s]

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by gregyboy(m): 11:42pm On Jul 15, 2020
TAO11:

TAO11 TAO12 give up you have lost it, i can read through you, you better stop feeding the hate, bro we conquered your ancestors and the oba was not of a Yoruba offshoot, i see how you have to carry all yorubas as brothers in your comment to gain support bro give up, and tell d truth if i was you i quietly find a new hobby

If you find a new hobby, we can both agree on that new interests but for this you have lost it

Maybe nextlife yorubas will conquer benins and sell them as slaves but not in this life bro
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 12:17am On Jul 16, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]TAO11 TAO12 give up you have lost it, i can read through you, you better stop feeding the hate, bro we conquered your ancestors and the oba was not of a Yoruba offshoot, i see how you have to carry all yorubas as brothers in your comment to gain support bro give up, and tell d truth if i was you i quietly find a new hobby. If you find a new hobby, we can both agree on that new interests but for this you have lost it.Maybe nextlife yorubas will conquer benins and sell them as slaves but not in this life bro.[/s]

"Lieut. King found that “the king can sell his subjects when convicted of crime, or when they have incurred his displeasure." The royal right of abuse seems to have survived to the last days, for Gallwey (p. 129) mentions that “the Benin people ... are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." ... the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs."

Reference: H.Ling Roth (1903), p.103.

Food For Thought: A king NEVER regards his subjects as his slaves IF he truly belongs to the same ethno-linguistic group as them.

Abieyuwa N'ovbi Oodua N'Uhe ghato kpere ... Ise!

Long may you reign, [Oh] son of the wealthy Oodua of Ife ... Amen!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 12:49am On Jul 16, 2020
gregyboy:
[s]So what changed, since u corrected the error, If it was oba ovaramen cant u use your head and accord it to the correct one, ..... You want to force our oba to be of yoruba ancestory to make up for your coward ancestor... Lol in so doing you have lost yourself, while i particpate in various thread politics, romance, culture, you only participate in culture and restricted your self to that pertaining to benin.... You have consumed yourself with self benin hate i decide to write ovaramen in that statement because it was all a bait to fish you out, to talk instead of giving strokes.After am done with you on nairaland you will have nothing to leave for than to only commit suicide cowardly like your ancestors awolowo and Afonja[/s]

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by MetaPhysical: 3:08am On Jul 16, 2020
gregyboy:

Mugu show mw how our oba is of benin ancestory i made that statement that way to fish yoyr runaway sister

Show me if there was benin-ife connection like me pour all my evidence here to disgrace you and your people

If you dare me, i will create a series thread every week with evidence to disgrace you and the entire yoruba for lying our king is yoruba

Eweka made those controversial statements for diplomatic purposes it has no historical bases

Please don't push me

Really? You want to disgrace your Omo n'Oba? Go ahead, I dare you. Hit it.... grin
Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by MetaPhysical: 3:13am On Jul 16, 2020
“the Benin people ... are treated as slaves by the king, the title of king's slave being considered an honour." ... the mass of the people were practically slaves to the king, and those who were not to the king were so to their chiefs."

This explains why EDO even in adulthood, male and female, must first get the pleasure and permission of palace before they can wear clothe and cover body. They do not own themselves. They are not freeborn.

1 Like

Re: Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship by TAO11(f): 3:16am On Jul 16, 2020
MetaPhysical:

This explains why EDO even in adulthood, male and female, must first get the pleasure and permission of palace before they can wear clothe and cover body. They do not own themselves. They are not freeborn.

Yes that's so true! The Edo people whom the Yoruba-Oba of Benin rules over are not freeborns.

The Yoruba monarch decides if the Edo men and women should wear clothes or not.

Modified:

"There are some curious statements about the requirements of royal permission before the people are allowed to wear clothing. Thus D. R. tells us : “Maidens and boys all go perfectly nude* until they marry or are otherwise disposed of, or that the king grants them license to put on some ornament or dress; then they become very cheerful and rejoice very much at the friendship and benevolence of the king which he has shown and proved to them; they then ornament and bedeck their bodies to the utmost, paint and daub themselves with white earth or colour, and hold a great festival; they sit in their houses in great splendour and magnificence, and many people then come to them and congratulate them as if they were a bride." So too, according to Dapper, “No man is allowed to wear any dress at all at court before he has been clothed by the king; nor let his hair grow before this has been done. There are men at the King's court, twenty and twenty-four years old, who, without any semblance of shame go about naked, only wearing a chain of corals or jasper round their necks. But when the King gives them clothes, he usually presents them at the same time with a wife, thus making them from boys to men. After this time they always wear clothes and let their hair grow without being obliged to shave it off with a knife anymore. Likewise, the women are not allowed to wear clothes, unless they have been provided with them by their husbands. So you can see there, women of twenty and twenty-five years going along the streets perfectly nude without showing any shame."

The footnote 1 on the same page reads: "According to Dapper, at Warri the native's dress is like that of Benin, "but they also wear some fine cotton or silk clothes (which those of Benin are not allowed to do) as large as small sheets, fastening them above the navel, with a cunning knot under the arms."

Reference: H.Ling Roth (1903), p.24.
The contrast here is crystal clear:

Case(1) A Bini man of Ife royal descent rules over the Edo (an Edoid language speaking group) and mistreats them regarding clothing, etc.

Case(2) A Bini man of Ife royal descent rules over the Itsekiri (a Yoruba subgroup) with the realization that they are freeborns like himself -- belonging to the same ethnic/linguistic group.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (Reply)

Suspended Anselm Aidenojie Reconciles With Woman Whom He Allegedly Assaulted / Tafida Bawo: Emir Of Rano Suspends District Heads, Strips Them Of Titles / Oro: Curfew To Hold Tomorrow In Ikorodu,lagos... Women To Stay Indoor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.