Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,285 members, 7,860,668 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:03 PM

Wake Up, Nigerian Artists! - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Wake Up, Nigerian Artists! (872 Views)

5 Nigerian Artists Who Take Lyrics For Granted / VIDEO: Flavour - Wake Up ft. Wande Coal / Which Nigerian Artists Will One Day Bring Grammy Award To Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wake Up, Nigerian Artists! by Alika(m): 8:07pm On Jun 08, 2007
I know this may not go down well with some people, but as the maxim goes, the truth is bitter.It is sad that Nigerian Art, especially RnB and Hiphop Music, is still substandard.There are certain substandard criteria an artist must meet, like rapping in pidgin,striving for commercial hits, instead of escellence and trying to meet certain requirements, instead of being original.
When good artists come out with original masterpieces, they are acused of sounding foreign, and as a consequent, they don't sell.
It is disheartening that a francophone country like Senegal can producer much better Hiphop artists than Nigeria, a so-called anglophone country, the owners of hiphop.
If Senegalese artists can compete favourably outside their shores, why can't Nigerian artists strive for perfection and international stardom, instead of local, cheap popularity?
Nigeria needs a dose of new artists, who will revolutionalize the hiphop scene, just like Living In Bondage changed the Nigerian movie scene forever?
Before that film, the Nigerian movie industry was crap, but the movie, a whole lot of adventurers (copy cats) all pushed into the industry and every film produced during that period had the same ritual theme as Living in Bondage, Well copycatism is another topic about Nigerian Art, which I won't talk about now, though I will give another example. When some guys produced the film BAKASI, someone even spelt it backwards in his own immitation ISAKABA.
Well, to be honest, the only way Nigerian music will improve over the years is by not compromising our talents.Don't listen when they tell you, It is not commercial, it is foreign, it is in English, or the like, you never know what happens, Sweet Mother, the legendary Prince Nico hit was turned down by EMI label for being too childish, but it later turned out to be one of the best songs ever produced in Nigeria.
So, guys, pardon me.I am not here to criticise anybody, but to comment on an observation, and I stand to be corrected. Cheers
Re: Wake Up, Nigerian Artists! by chiogo(f): 2:57pm On Jun 09, 2007
You're right about the naija people and "copycatism" and other things u said. But i disagree with the senegalese thin'. Can u give me an example of a senegalese known for hip pop 'cause i don't know one except for Akon, who was def. born in the states and it's expected he'd sing like them. They got all d technologies and opprtunities for them. Some naija artistes u see are just frustrated and don't know what to do. that's why some of 'em just come and out and release some bull, callin' it music. so, it's not their fault. some of their videos don't even look like it was directed by a professional, d color and everythin' is so poor. so, u see, it's d state of the economy of naija. But i don't get the senegalese thin' u mentioned. I know a lot of naija artistes suck but i don't see any senegalese artiste who's better. I don't even know one, only akon like i mentioned. Can u tell me one 'cause am confused here. naija may suck but they still rule africa!
Re: Wake Up, Nigerian Artists! by PoDeep(m): 5:42pm On Jun 09, 2007
Word. Real Hiphop exists in Africa in only two countries, SouthAfrica & Nigeria. 4 real.
About spittin' in pidgin, its a matta of choice. Personally, I prefer kickin' it in english but like I said, its all a matta of choice.
Re: Wake Up, Nigerian Artists! by Alika(m): 6:05pm On Jun 09, 2007
chiogo:

You're right about the naija people and "copycatism" and other things u said. But i disagree with the senegalese thin'. Can u give me an example of a senegalese known for hip pop 'cause i don't know one except for Akon, who was def. born in the states and it's expected he'd sing like them. They got all d technologies and opprtunities for them. Some naija artistes u see are just frustrated and don't know what to do. that's why some of 'em just come and out and release some bull, callin' it music. so, it's not their fault. some of their videos don't even look like it was directed by a professional, d color and everythin' is so poor. so, u see, it's d state of the economy of naija. But i don't get the senegalese thin' u mentioned. I know a lot of naija artistes suck but i don't see any senegalese artiste who's better. I don't even know one, only akon like i mentioned. Can u tell me one 'cause am confused here. naija may suck but they still rule africa!
Thanks for the question, Chiogo. Please do look at this link http://www.africanhiphop.com/crew/senegal.htm. I happen to know the fact because I lived in Senegambi region, ie the region of Senegal and Gambia for some time before moving over to the UK. You can check those artists in the link out in google for more info.cheers

(1) (Reply)

Rugged Man's(ruggedy Baba) Vs Dip-o's(gbojule) / Isnt Asa (pronounced Asha) Just The Best Nigerian Artiste In The World Today? / Niger Delta Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.